14 years ago

B.J. Raji

"dfosterf" wrote:

wut.

Raji hasn't shown a sliver of what Matthews has. i know you're exaggerating...but why you included Raji over anybody is beyond me.

I agree with Twinkiegorilla.

bozz_2006 wrote:

55sandman
14 years ago

I guess so much for changing over to the 3-4 being somewhat of a work in progress where we could expect them to get better as the season goes along.
Now all of a sudden they should be balls to the wall from the first snap of the season. I've asked this question before but were teams like the Steelers and Ravens kicking everybody's ass in the first half of the first season they installed this system?.

"warhawk" wrote:

warhawk -

My friend, this is professional football. Yes, they need to go balls out from day 1. If not, then when? Game 9, game 12? When? OTAs, mini-camps & the preseason is for getting better. You don't have the amount of practice time during the season and you focus more on game planning. That's a myth about football, a team doesn't get better during the year. It is what it is and they have to figure out a way to wins.

Aaron Rodgers wasn't given a pass for taking over a team that was in the Championship Game the prior year when he went 6-10. Ray Rhodes 8-8. This team is 4-4 and I started by discussing the 3-4 defense, not special teams or the offensive line. I didn't say the defense is THE REASON for such a poor season.

My question and opinions were only directed at the 3-4... please stop making excuses for field position/special teams. What Championship level franchise complains that their highest paid unit cannot stop offenses because of field position? They probably would have won 2 more games if they did hold teams to FGs. And please explain the Tampa Bay loss? That was special teams? A Rookie QB with 3 TDs vs. 1 interception for a previously winless Bucs team?

Damn, I have to stop taking months off before posting because I feel like I have to respond to everything... this ish is addictive.
Sandman
55sandman
14 years ago

We are missing a couple pieces of the 3-4. Hate thinking about not having kampman, but he is not the best fit for us anymore. Another OLB to match up with Matthews, and either a Ray Lewis LBer or Troy P SS. Either would do.

What I see our problem being now is that we are lining up in Nickel D to often, should actually call us a 2-4 defense with how much we run that formation. Kampman, Jolly, Jenkins, Matthews get a push but there always seems to be an escape route for a QB. Either the DE's go past and the middle is open or there is a gap between OLB and DE.

I think we should keep 3 Dlineman on the field as much as possible. That way we can have better splits on the rush and less escape zones. All the talk about the 3-4 and the Dline eating up double teams for the LBers, and we pull one of those block eaters 75% of the time.

"PackFanWithTwins" wrote:

Nice breakdown PFWT! Is that twins like in babies or twins like...
Sandman
PackFanWithTwins
14 years ago

We are missing a couple pieces of the 3-4. Hate thinking about not having kampman, but he is not the best fit for us anymore. Another OLB to match up with Matthews, and either a Ray Lewis LBer or Troy P SS. Either would do.

What I see our problem being now is that we are lining up in Nickel D to often, should actually call us a 2-4 defense with how much we run that formation. Kampman, Jolly, Jenkins, Matthews get a push but there always seems to be an escape route for a QB. Either the DE's go past and the middle is open or there is a gap between OLB and DE.

I think we should keep 3 Dlineman on the field as much as possible. That way we can have better splits on the rush and less escape zones. All the talk about the 3-4 and the Dline eating up double teams for the LBers, and we pull one of those block eaters 75% of the time.

"55sandman" wrote:

Nice breakdown PFWT! Is that twins like in babies or twins like...

"PackFanWithTwins" wrote:

Well not quite babies anymore. Now just pain in the arse girls.
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
dfosterf
14 years ago

B.J. Raji

"TwinkieGorilla" wrote:

wut.

Raji hasn't shown a sliver of what Matthews has. i know you're exaggerating...but why you included Raji over anybody is beyond me.

"dfosterf" wrote:

Matthews can stay.

Raji is going to be a serious impact player in this league. The typical track for players at his position is closer to a Justin Harrell than a B.J. Raji. ---

Really.

B.J. Raji SHOULD need about three years to develop into an impact player. I bet he beats that curve easily. You are right abot Clay, though...

I want pressure on the quarterback. I don't see it. Do you see it?

Oh, I do, unfortunately it is invariably the other team bringing it. AK looks like a fish out of water in coverage, btw. He was knocked silly last game and we couldn't even tell. That tells ya something right there. I'm putting that on Dom. I thought he would be bringing more emphasis on getting the scheme to fit his players. I am not seeing that, if it means things like putting AK in a position that he is covering anyone. If that is the plan, then trade AK, period, imo. As good a pass rusher he is compared to our (still non-existent one---though Clay "flashes") AK is a net liability if he cannot do his job in coverage..and he simply cannot, imo.

I got bitched out by mentioning repeatedly after this past draft that what we look like on paper to me is a very good 4-3 football team, not a 3-4. I was told to STFU about that by some very well-respected posters, and I did so.

Well, fuck that. Dom (I was told) would "hybridize" He has not. That is on him. I kept asking what would happen if we didn't get to the quarterback on all those blitzes, etc. Like I said, Iw as told to STFU.

Zone coverages= bullshit said so then, say so now.

NT's dropping into coverage? Don't like it.

Trade AK

All these linebacker zealot assholes we have on this staff STILL haven't got the GD LINEBACKER corps right, for christ's sake. What, are we gonna chew up MORE draft picks to try and get that fixed???!!!

We have the WORST OFFENSIVE LINE IN THE NFL and we are STILL going to have to try and fix this shit?

It is time to trade some players... a lot of them.
longtimefan
14 years ago

I wouldn't exactly say its not working seeing that were still ranked 4th in total defense. Other then that the 3-4 is new to this team. So you gotta give it some time.

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

4th in YARDAGE who cares about that? Just like in 05? they were ranked #1 defense but that as just yards given up.

Change that to Td given up they are tied for 14th

"longtimefan" wrote:

Packers in '05
Total Defense - 7th
Passing Defense - 1st
Rushing Defense - 23rd

Not sure what you're talking about, but those are the yards per game rankings. And its no wonder we were first in passing defense, because teams were running all over us to preserve their leads. :)

"cheeseheads123" wrote:

that was my point, I was refering to #1 in passing..It meant CRAP

Just like now, it means crap that they are 4th in yards allowed ( at least for me.)

however in rushing per carry they are 2nd which is HUGE and shows that some parts of the defense are working..
longtimefan
14 years ago

As I have said before, this team needs an injection of Wayne Simmons' attitude and fierce play...because right now, the Packers are a finesse team....something I loathe.

"digsthepack" wrote:

I would be down with that type of player!
nerdmann
14 years ago

4th in total defense....yeah...take a look at the teams our defense "imposed" itself against.

We are a finesse team...as bad as when MS was here. You do not win with finesse in the NFL.

"digsthepack" wrote:

Yeah, against teams that get the ball in the red zone regularly. Occasionally also at midfield.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
nerdmann
14 years ago

B.J. Raji, Aaron Rodgers, Greg Jennings. Everyone else can go on the block, as far as I am concerned, including management.

Bring in Bill Cowher. He can decide who stays and who goes, including Ted. Ted could be subordinate to him as GM. It has been done before... A GM that reports to the head coach. Cowher is the perfect fit for creating a team to represent the frozen tundra. Cowher will find on offensive coordinator, hell, he can keep Mike for all I care.

Cowher makes Gruden look like a girl. I want him spitting in the face of an under-performing player. We might not win right away, we might, but there will be NO confusion of how Bill felt about it.

He'd be lighting into Dom Capers right now... I guarantee it. Our special teams coach would probably have had his ass beaten a couple of times by now.

This has footage of him when he is WINNING a football game, lol

[youtube]-DZqYrEhPNE&feature=player_embedded#[/youtube]

"dfosterf" wrote:

I like Cowher too, but he's not a WCO guy, per se.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
nerdmann
14 years ago

Why isn't the 3-4 working? My personal theory is as follows:

The 3-4 defense is designed to do one thing...pressure the QB and aggressively attack the offense from many different places, and with variant combinations of players. The problem, as I see it, is that with the exception of a few players, we do not have an aggressive bunch on defense....plus, Capers has backed off the pressure to compound matters.

As I have said before, this team needs an injection of Wayne Simmons' attitude and fierce play...because right now, the Packers are a finesse team....something I loathe.

"digsthepack" wrote:

I wouldn't mind a Wayne Simmons type dude. Cyril Obiozor on the PS could become a guy like that, I think.
Fan Shout
dfosterf (15h) : The only problem with that is he isn't a guard either.
dfosterf (16h) : Put him at right guard. That is where he will be coached. That is where he will compete. He is not even allowed to look at the LT playbook.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Kidding aside, I hope the best for him.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Went to a Titans board. One comment there. Not very long. I quote: "LOL" They don't sound overly upset about our aquisition.
beast (18-Apr) : OT Dillard has been absolutely horrible... like OG Newman levels
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Suit him up and have him stand in front of the big board as a draft day cautionary tale.
Zero2Cool (18-Apr) : Packers sign T Andre Dillard.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#×k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
Martha Careful (6-Apr) : Go Boilermakers!!!
Martha Careful (5-Apr) : Diggs has not stepped up in the playoffs and has a high cost
beast (5-Apr) : Probably not going to let Diggs walk away unless he's horrible... but according to reports he also might not be as good as he used to be.
beast (5-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft has been an offensive player since 2017, 2 TE, 2 WR, 1 RB, 1 OC
Mucky Tundra (5-Apr) : Odd, why give up a 2025 2nd Rounder for him if you're just gonna let him walk?
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : Texans to let Diggs be free agent in '25
buckeyepackfan (4-Apr) : 49r's aign RB Patrick Taylor.
Martha Careful (4-Apr) : Reversion to the mean would indicate we will keep it
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : It's also been utilized in a trade in 14 of the past 20 years
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft hasn't been made by it's original holder since 2016.
Mucky Tundra (4-Apr) : Gotta imagine that Green Bay vs Houston will be a primetime game this upcoming season
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : No. Kill QB. No worries. 😁
Mucky Tundra (3-Apr) : Diggs, Collins, Dell and Schultz is gonna be tough to cover
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

19-Apr / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16-Apr / Random Babble / Martha Careful

15-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12-Apr / Random Babble / Nonstopdrivel

12-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.