Zero2Cool
14 years ago
Source Link 

Most of the time, you have to wait until late in the year to identify an NFL teams season-defining game.

Not so with the 2009 Green Bay Packers. At least, that is, if the 4-4 Packers are going to cover their weaknesses well enough to go on a run into the playoffs. Its Sunday against the Dallas Cowboys.

Win, and the Packers finally will have beaten a quality opponent and have something to pin their hopes on to go 5-2 or 6-1 to close out the schedule. Lose, and the playoffs are a pipe dream, and the job security of General Manager Ted Thompson and coach Mike McCarthy will become an issue for team President and CEO Mark Murphy and the clubs Executive Committee.

Theyre going to come out of this one as a season saver, or youre going to have a lot of questions going into the San Francisco game and a lot of questions for the remainder of the season, said a scout who knows the Packers organization well.

The scout had seen the Packers this season only in snippets on television until this week, when he graded videotape of their last two games, losses to Minnesota and at Tampa Bay. He agreed to an extended interview Thursday to share his assessment of them and Sundays game.

The scout has worked in the NFC for more than 15 years and not only knows the Packers recent history, but also works in the NFC East Division, in which the Cowboys play. Keep in mind scouts opinions can vary widely, so his observations are far from definitive and must be tempered because theyre based on only two games, both losses in which the Packers at times were at their worst.

The last two games also highlighted the Packers persistent problems this season, and yet among the several strong feelings the scout shared, the first words out of his mouth were:

I dont think their problems are terminal.

Meaning, he went on, the Packers have a core of several highly talented players in quarterback Aaron Rodgers, receiver Greg Jennings and cornerback Charles Woodson, along with an up-and-comer in linebacker Clay Matthews. Plus they have good starters in nose tackle Ryan Pickett, defensive end Cullen Jenkins, receiver Donald Driver, cornerback Al Harris and safety Nick Collins.

In other words, theyre not as far from being a good team as the last two games suggest, though overcoming the deficiencies this season will be extremely difficult.

I think theyve got talent, the scout said. I really do. But the offensive line is not good right now, and thats the kick in the (groin).

The scout said hes torn between which is the greater problem: the offensive line or the pass rush, though his assessment of the blocking, both in pass protection and the run game, was especially harsh.

The center, (Scott) Wells, I think you can win with guys like that, he said. The guard play, not a shot in the (butt), and the tackle play is horrendous. If you had big (guards) next to Wells who could help him push, hes athletic enough to get to the second level and make blocks. (But) I dont really like any of those guys.

At left tackle, he said Chad Clifton looks about finished, though hes the best the Packers have. Clifton never has been much of a run blocker, but the toll of the severe pelvic injury from the Warren Sapp hit in 2002, plus arthroscopic surgery on both shoulders and knees last offseason, plus an ankle injury this year have greatly diminished his pass blocking as well. Clifton still can handle speed rushers at age 33 but is vulnerable to inside power moves.

Hes broken down, the scout said. The worst thing that can happen to an offensive lineman, take away his shoulders (from arthroscopic surgery) and you take away his punch and you take away his power. You cant play without power.

At right tackle, the scout said, Mark Tauscher looked thin and exceptionally rusty last week in his first game since last year. And Allen Barbre, who started the first seven games, played small the previous game against Minnesota.

Very light, the scout said of Barbre. I dont see any power on this offensive line at all.

The scout considered guards Daryn Colledge and Josh Sitton nondescript in the two games; absolved halfback Ryan Grant of the bulk of the blame in the punchless run game despite his limited explosive ability; and described a lack of cohesion on the line.

(Grant) doesnt have a whole hell of a lot of room to run because the offensive line gets zero push, I mean zero push, he said. If youre a zone-blocking team, you have to have guys moving off the line of scrimmage, and I dont see that. In the two games I watched I know Minnesotas got a good (defensive) line, but I know Tampas got a bad one, and Tampa stalemated them.

When Green Bay had to throw the football, Tampa was running the twist stunts, they were looping guys. Green Bay lost track of guys, it didnt seem like there was any continuity with the blocking, with the scheme. There were a couple times, too, where they just let a linebacker run through. You get negative plays where a guy runs into the backfield because guys just flat dont second-level block (i.e., the linebackers).

The scout saw the pass rush as an equally severe problem in the two games the Packers rank No. 28 in the NFL in sacks percentage. Though he liked Pickett as a run stopper and Cullen Jenkins as an all-around player, the combination of Jenkins and Johnny Jolly as inside rushers in the nickel defense arent getting adequate push.

The other guy, 97, Jolly, does nothing for me, the scout said.

The scout also confirmed the growing realization that left outside linebacker Aaron Kampman should only rarely drop in pass coverage and looks like a different player than as a 4-3 defensive end. The Packers considered Kampman a better athlete than, for instance, Greg Ellis, who made the transition from 4-3 defensive end to 3-4 outside linebacker with Dallas in 2003, but Kampman hasnt made the transition in pass coverage as well as Ellis.

Greg Ellis immediately was a pretty good drop player, said the scout. For eight years, (Ellis) put his hand on the ground and rushed. Hes not a great dropper but all of a sudden he reacted well enough. He was a good reactionary player. Kampman looks like, Im dropping, OK, now I see it. Hes just a tick late in coverage.

The scout nevertheless sees a good future for the Packers if they can quickly remake their offensive line.

Teds going to have to do some work on his offensive line, the scout said. Its a mess.

He gives them a decent shot against the Cowboys on Sunday even though Dallas is 6-2 and a 3-point favorite.

Dallas should be scared to death of these guys to be honest with you, the scout said. I said it wasnt terminal (for the Packers), theres too many guys on this team the Cowboys have to look at. I think youre going to get Green Bays best effort. I wouldnt be surprised if (the Cowboys) got beat by this team, wouldnt shock me if (the Packers) find some way to protect (Rodgers).

The scout questioned whether the Packers problems on the offensive line and rushing the passer would allow them to go on a sustained run even if they win Sunday. But the two games convinced him the most important piece is in place in Rodgers, whom he had not studied this year.

Sometimes he throws the ball and you go, Why did he throw that? the scout said. But throwing the ball on the move, moving to his left and throwing the ball, throwing across his body, things like that, he can play. I didnt think that guy could play, but he can play. They need to get him some help on that offensive line, though.

UserPostedImage
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
14 years ago
Couple things I find interesting here:
1. Best review for OL goes to Scott Wells? When's the last time you saw that (if ever).
2. He doesn't think much of Jolly. Not because of the bonehead play/comments, but in all around terms ('no push," etc).
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
Stevetarded
14 years ago

Couple things I find interesting here:
1. Best review for OL goes to Scott Wells? When's the last time you saw that (if ever).
2. He doesn't think much of Jolly. Not because of the bonehead play/comments, but in all around terms ('no push," etc).

"Wade" wrote:

I have been noticing lately about Jolly that he will make a big play or two but disappear most of the time. Compared to Cullen Jenkins (who gets double teamed a lot) who gets a really good push on most plays. We really need Raji to step up and be a disruptor and take over for Jolly in the 2 lineman and base defense.

Anybody else notice Colledge seems to have lost all of the meanness he had last year? I wonder if it's the injury or maybe he lost some confidence or something because of the disaster at LT.
blank
Zero2Cool
14 years ago
I've liked Colledge on our OL. This past game, I was ready to say, bye Daryn.

I agree with the premise of this article, that are problems are not terminal. However, they are going to be terminal if we can't get Rodgers to throw the ball quicker and protect him better.
UserPostedImage
nerdmann
14 years ago
I really think we can stabilize this line. AND if we can do that, we can be very good. At least competitive.
The line was stabilized in Tampa until the 4th quarter. That's when Barbre was in there. Plus there was the humidity and what not.
I'll be watching, cheering, believing.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
bozz_2006
14 years ago
I think if Clifton plays well, and if Lang plays along the same lines as he has been playing for the last 4 or 5 weeks, we might have a shot of protecting the wide rush. it's up to wells, colledge, and sitton to handle inside rushes and stunts. wells needs to direct this effort.

our pass rush; i just don't see us getting any pressure on romo unless some serious changes have been made in the past week.
UserPostedImage
Greg C.
14 years ago
Thanks for posting this Zero. I can't get page two to open on the Press Gazette web site. I thought it was very interesting and actually a bit encouraging. I agree with Wade that the comments on Jolly were interesting. As for Wells, maybe he is our best OL by default, but I would go with Sitton. I suppose it doesn't matter because none of them are playing well.
blank
nerdmann
14 years ago

I think if Clifton plays well, and if Lang plays along the same lines as he has been playing for the last 4 or 5 weeks, we might have a shot of protecting the wide rush. it's up to wells, colledge, and sitton to handle inside rushes and stunts. wells needs to direct this effort.

our pass rush; i just don't see us getting any pressure on romo unless some serious changes have been made in the past week.

"bozz_2006" wrote:

Brad Jones in place of Kampman is a pretty serious change. LOL. Whether it's a good thing or not, we shall see.
I still like Jeremy Thompson. He's def pretty good in coverage. I think getting to the QB might be his challenge.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Fan Shout
dfosterf (16h) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (16h) : Yes
Zero2Cool (17h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (19h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (20h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (23h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (28-Mar) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (28-Mar) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
1h / Around The NFL / Zero2Cool

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.