Zero2Cool
14 years ago
Source Link 

The vultures will be circling Lambeau Field Sunday, ready to gorge themselves if the Green Bay Packers lose to the Dallas Cowboys.

The cries of discontent this season started in hushed tones last month when the Packers lost to Brett Favre and the Minnesota Vikings at the Metrodome. They grew louder and more pronounced a few weeks later when Favre returned to Lambeau and stuck it to his old team again. Then came the thunderous roar of outrage after the Packers slipped on a banana peel in Tampa against the previously winless Buccaneers last week.

Now, all most Packers fans want to discuss are the firings of General Manager Ted Thompson and coach Mike McCarthy.

Can everyone step back, take a deep breath, and calm down?

Theres no question losing to the Buccaneers doesnt bode well for the second half of the season. This Packers team is riddled with problems, including a train wreck of an offensive line and special teams units that would struggle to cover your grandmother.

But why call for the heads of Thompson and McCarthy on a platter halfway through the season? Even a loss Sunday against the favored Cowboys wont eliminate the Packers from contention.

A victory would provide a desperately needed confidence boost, but a loss is by no means a death knell.

Just six years ago the Packers stumbled out of the gate to a 4-5 record and were left for dead, only to come storming back with victories in six of their last seven games. They posted a 10-6 regular-season record and won a playoff game, and only the infamous fourth-and-26 defensive collapse against Philadelphia prevented the Packers from advancing to the NFC title game.

This is not meant as a prediction the Packers will pull themselves out of the gutter, only a reminder that its been done before and isnt out of the question. This is also not a ringing endorsement of Thompson and McCarthy, only a suggestion that they deserve the chance to finish out the season.

For all their tribulations, the Packers (4-4) remain in the thick of the NFC wild-card chase. They are locked in a four-team battle with Atlanta (5-3), Philadelphia (5-3) and the New York Giants (5-4) for two post-season berths.

The Packers face just three teams with winning records in the second half of the season. Their opponents have a combined 33-33 record, compared to a tougher road for the Giants (34-22) and Eagles (37-30), who each must face five teams with winning marks. Of the four wild-card contenders, only the Falcons (30-35) have an easier schedule than the Packers.

Last weeks travesty in Tampa proved the Packers are capable of losing no matter how soft the competition. Unless they shake themselves out of their malaise, it wont matter who shows up to play them.

But declaring the season over, even if the Packers lose Sunday, would be a rush to judgment. There will be plenty of time down the road to call out Thompson and McCarthy if the Packers fail to make the playoffs for the fourth time in five years.

Until then, the Packers are still breathing.

UserPostedImage
Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago
He raises a lot of good points, and I would say that anyone who is calling for Thompson's head isn't thinking very clearly right now. I'm not even calling for Mike McCarthy's head -- just advocating that he show a little sense and hand playcalling duties off to someone else. What's the point of having an offensive coordinator if he doesn't call the plays anyway?
UserPostedImage
nerdmann
14 years ago
The first Minnesota game was bad. Embarrassing. The second one, a humiliation that will be remembered for decades. Last week was just plain ugly. Those were three major turningpoints.
We're not mathematically eliminated. But we need this game. Bad.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
blueleopard
14 years ago
The Packers better play like they're desperate, because like everybody says -- it's ridiculous.
Danreb Victorio A Believer of Greg Jennings
LambeauEast
14 years ago
Big game, fellas...big game.
UserPostedImage
djcubez
14 years ago

Source Link 

The vultures will be circling Lambeau Field Sunday, ready to gorge themselves if the Green Bay Packers lose to the Dallas Cowboys.

The cries of discontent this season started in hushed tones last month when the Packers lost to Brett Favre and the Minnesota Vikings at the Metrodome. They grew louder and more pronounced a few weeks later when Favre returned to Lambeau and stuck it to his old team again. Then came the thunderous roar of outrage after the Packers slipped on a banana peel in Tampa against the previously winless Buccaneers last week.

Now, all most Packers fans want to discuss are the firings of General Manager Ted Thompson and coach Mike McCarthy.

Can everyone step back, take a deep breath, and calm down?

Theres no question losing to the Buccaneers doesnt bode well for the second half of the season. This Packers team is riddled with problems, including a train wreck of an offensive line and special teams units that would struggle to cover your grandmother.

But why call for the heads of Thompson and McCarthy on a platter halfway through the season? Even a loss Sunday against the favored Cowboys wont eliminate the Packers from contention.

A victory would provide a desperately needed confidence boost, but a loss is by no means a death knell.

Just six years ago the Packers stumbled out of the gate to a 4-5 record and were left for dead, only to come storming back with victories in six of their last seven games. They posted a 10-6 regular-season record and won a playoff game, and only the infamous fourth-and-26 defensive collapse against Philadelphia prevented the Packers from advancing to the NFC title game.

This is not meant as a prediction the Packers will pull themselves out of the gutter, only a reminder that its been done before and isnt out of the question. This is also not a ringing endorsement of Thompson and McCarthy, only a suggestion that they deserve the chance to finish out the season.

For all their tribulations, the Packers (4-4) remain in the thick of the NFC wild-card chase. They are locked in a four-team battle with Atlanta (5-3), Philadelphia (5-3) and the New York Giants (5-4) for two post-season berths.

The Packers face just three teams with winning records in the second half of the season. Their opponents have a combined 33-33 record, compared to a tougher road for the Giants (34-22) and Eagles (37-30), who each must face five teams with winning marks. Of the four wild-card contenders, only the Falcons (30-35) have an easier schedule than the Packers.

Last weeks travesty in Tampa proved the Packers are capable of losing no matter how soft the competition. Unless they shake themselves out of their malaise, it wont matter who shows up to play them.

But declaring the season over, even if the Packers lose Sunday, would be a rush to judgment. There will be plenty of time down the road to call out Thompson and McCarthy if the Packers fail to make the playoffs for the fourth time in five years.

Until then, the Packers are still breathing.

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

I was talking to my friend today and he said that every game I watch with him he remembers me calling for McCarthy's had. At the same time I believe in him as an offensive coordinator and can't count him out now, especially halfway through the season. There's still a lot of football to be played and now the team actually feels a sense of urgency.
dhazer
14 years ago
I like how he tries to make it sound like we have the easier schedule but yet you take the Lions game out of there, the remaining opponents have a combined 32-26 record with a very good possibility that all but the Lions will have the same or better record than us. I'm going to cheer my ass off big time for the Pack because we have alot of contractors at my work site from Texas. It's bad enough i have to put up with the Vikes fan giving me shit everyday but i can't handle hearing it from the Cowgirl fans.

If we lose today i will be stuck doing this :(

[youtube]F10INRdCWtk[/youtube]
Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be 🙂 (PS, Zero should charge for this)
UserPostedImage
Tezzy
14 years ago
I understand the passion and outcry for this team to have success, and have it now. And I too have started to question MM, but I'm not ready for the chopping block until the season is over and can evaluate the entire season. I want badly to be a playoff contender, but in all reality we were 6-10 last year, hard for me to imagine that going 8-8 or 9-7 isn't a step in the right direction for me. But I'm still angry every game we lose, but I'll be cheering every game and believe that we can win any game. It's amazing the level of passion that a sport can bring out in people. The article brings up the 4-5 start that ended in playoffs years ago and the infamous 4th and 26. With that in mind, last season 3 teams that started 4-4 made the playoffs, that's 25% of the playoff teams. So here's to clubbing Dallas today and keeping the dream alive 🙂
On top of every beard grows a man.
"The Bears are shell-shocked... and it's breaking my heart."
Silentio
14 years ago

People forget.
blank
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (1h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (2h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (12h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (19h) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (20h) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (20h) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Hip drop is not. Super confusing. Referees job is harder
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Swivel hip drop is banned
dfosterf (25-Mar) : The hip drop enforcement will be in the form of fines, etc. Not flags
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

19h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.