DakotaT
14 years ago

I watched Baltimore on Monday night and we all know Cleveland's offense is not the Packers offense but the Ravens will line up against us just like they did there.

As I have state the problem for us is defenses are going to set up to take the short stuff away because they feel Rodgers won't have the time needed to hurt them down field.

So if we go short it will be playing right into what they expect us to do. If thats the case it's not about our receivers not running good enough routes or needing to be better in one on one matchups. The defense will have the advantage until we start showing the big play capabilities this team has.

What some here are failing to see is that we have always been capable in the short passing game in the past BECAUSE teams had to respect what could happen to them down field. Teams couldn't afford to play us the way they do now because we would just go over the top.

The short game will be hardpressed as long as teams can rush four and create pressure as well. That leaves five defenders pressing short coverage.

The KEY to all of this is our five guys have to block the other teams four and force defenses to back off. There is no mystery to why we scored 17 points sunday. Rodgers YPA was over three yards less than what he has averaged all year.

All I can say is if this is what your asking for you better hope the defense plays lights out from here on in because points will not come easy.

"warhawk" wrote:

Well now that Finley is back, I don't know why you wouldn't counter with double tight end sets stretching the middle, especially with Finley. There isn' t a linebacker in the league that can match up with him, so then they have to counter with smaller guys, which should open up the running game.

I disagree on playing Tauscher though. Lang did fairly well against Dallas and should be left at RT. If Clifton goes down than you move Lang to LT and bring in Tauscher to play RT. Putting Lang on the bench is no longer a good move.
UserPostedImage
warhawk
  • warhawk
  • Senior Member Topic Starter
14 years ago
They may not play Tauscher but my thinking is this is the "stretch" and he has the experience. I think Lang will do a decent job but it is likely he will make mistakes and there is certainly no more room for it if it were to cost us a ballgame.

I also like Tauschers leadership ability. I thought it was kind of different that he spoke up in the big offensive meeting where everything was hashed out when he really hadn't played much. That, for me, says he's still well respected in the locker room, or, he spoke out of place without a voice which I doubt was the case.

At the end of the day if Lang is playing good enough they feel he can stay there is all that counts. As long as the 0line play improves I really don't care whose name is on the back of the jersey.
"The train is leaving the station."
Zero2Cool
14 years ago
Why would the Ravens line up the same way against us as they did the Browns? They don't have a similar offense at all. I'm confused on that.
UserPostedImage
warhawk
  • warhawk
14 years ago

Why would the Ravens line up the same way against us as they did the Browns? They don't have a similar offense at all. I'm confused on that.

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

I am saying that conceptually the Browns offered little exposure as a downfield threat and Baltimore played tight in the short coverages. Regardless of the difference in how we may line up they will do everything they can to sufficate our short passing game if thats what we try to do.

I also pointed out several remaining teams play outstanding run defense and I don't see a short passing game as having much of a chance without a solid running attack to go with it.

People want to hide our protection problems and DICTATE a short passing game which is not dictating anything but compensating and look what it does to the dynamics of the offense. This was one of the most feared groups in the league coming out and what's now being suggested is we do what Chicago did with Orton and never let the ball get out of the QB's shadow.

If we do anything the rest of the year the 0line HAS TO BLOCK starting with solid protection against four rushers. You start there and then you have the ball in your court to start dictating to the defense.
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
14 years ago
Agreed. OL has to block.

short routes, long routes, quick release, slow release, etc etc....some of these can shorten the odds, others will lengthen them.

but if the OL can't consistently get it done at least as well as it did in the Dallas game, none of it will matter.

i'm a lot more confident than i was a weak ago. but i'm not on the 'we're over the hump' bandwagon yet.
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
Pack93z
14 years ago
I think this week, it should be more of the same as last, why?

Because the 49er offense is pretty one dimensional, they are a decent running team but weak in the passing game.. so I think we play the same type of offensive game to get a little more confidence and more importantly more work in for the Oline. This group needs to jell..

If Tauscher is back.. I think you put him in there and have Lang replace Colledge for a game.. see how that alignment settles in.

For this week.. we don't need 28 points or better to win.. we need to control the ball and play another field possession game. We can wear this front seven down much like we did last week... have them sucking air by the late 3rd Quarter.

But I agree with the overall assessment.. we have to balance this passing attack out.. a couple of weeks ago it was all mid to deep routes.. now just the opposite this past week.. maybe by design though.. letting this offensive line get a little confidence in.

Additionally.. don't forget that we ran the ball a little more often last week.. we might not be a power running team but we have to keep that defensive line from teeing off in the pass rush every down.. notice how we abused the Cowboy line once they let off the run.. that is what teams have been doing to us.. and we don't have a solid line yet.

Want to truly hide or lessen the impact of our porous line.. then balance out the playcalling so the defense has to at least respect all options and slow them down a bit.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
14 years ago
I agree for the most part with regards to what philosophy we employ against teams with varying skils/weaknesses however;

I still think that whilst Finley provides a good recieving threat and a
matchup problem, our offensive line is so poor right now that gameplans change to play plans because big assignments are being missed - you is never know when the next d'oh! from our offensive line will creep in.

Tauscher is still a couple weeks of being a solid upgrade, especially after his latest setback.
UserPostedImage 
Zero2Cool is my captain.
IronMan
14 years ago

Tauscher is still a couple weeks of being a solid upgrade, especially after his latest setback.

"VinceLambeauStarr" wrote:

Actually Tauscher was a full participant in practice today.
14 years ago

"IronMan" wrote:

What I mean is, he got re-injured during his first game back - he is practising but short of game practice :icon_smile:
UserPostedImage 
Zero2Cool is my captain.
warhawk
  • warhawk
14 years ago

"IronMan" wrote:

What I mean is, he got re-injured during his first game back - he is practising but short of game practice :icon_smile:

My point about Tauscher is we will be playing some pretty stout guys over there and this is crunch time. I know Lang held up against Spencer but he is not Woodley, Jarrett Johnson with Baltimore who has six sacks already, Ogunleye, etc. and when he was at LT when he saw good players he didn't hold up to well.

I like Lang but at RT for now he is a bigger ? than Tauscher going down the stretch. One decent game against a guy who hadn't had a sack all year just doesn't give me a lot of warm and fuzzies when I look at who he will be up against in some big games ahead.
Fan Shout
dfosterf (12h) : The only problem with that is he isn't a guard either.
dfosterf (12h) : Put him at right guard. That is where he will be coached. That is where he will compete. He is not even allowed to look at the LT playbook.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Kidding aside, I hope the best for him.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Went to a Titans board. One comment there. Not very long. I quote: "LOL" They don't sound overly upset about our aquisition.
beast (18-Apr) : OT Dillard has been absolutely horrible... like OG Newman levels
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Suit him up and have him stand in front of the big board as a draft day cautionary tale.
Zero2Cool (18-Apr) : Packers sign T Andre Dillard.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#×k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
Martha Careful (6-Apr) : Go Boilermakers!!!
Martha Careful (5-Apr) : Diggs has not stepped up in the playoffs and has a high cost
beast (5-Apr) : Probably not going to let Diggs walk away unless he's horrible... but according to reports he also might not be as good as he used to be.
beast (5-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft has been an offensive player since 2017, 2 TE, 2 WR, 1 RB, 1 OC
Mucky Tundra (5-Apr) : Odd, why give up a 2025 2nd Rounder for him if you're just gonna let him walk?
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : Texans to let Diggs be free agent in '25
buckeyepackfan (4-Apr) : 49r's aign RB Patrick Taylor.
Martha Careful (4-Apr) : Reversion to the mean would indicate we will keep it
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : It's also been utilized in a trade in 14 of the past 20 years
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft hasn't been made by it's original holder since 2016.
Mucky Tundra (4-Apr) : Gotta imagine that Green Bay vs Houston will be a primetime game this upcoming season
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : No. Kill QB. No worries. 😁
Mucky Tundra (3-Apr) : Diggs, Collins, Dell and Schultz is gonna be tough to cover
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
11m / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

19-Apr / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16-Apr / Random Babble / Martha Careful

15-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12-Apr / Random Babble / Nonstopdrivel

12-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.