Zero2Cool
14 years ago

Tauscher is still a couple weeks of being a solid upgrade, especially after his latest setback.

"VinceLambeauStarr" wrote:

Actually Tauscher was a full participant in practice today.

"IronMan" wrote:

What I mean is, he got re-injured during his first game back - he is practising but short of game practice :icon_smile:

Let's not imply that having a man over 250 pounds landing on your calf-back of knee is any easy feat to bounce back up from ten seconds later. I do believe a similar act broke a Cowboys OL last week.
UserPostedImage
bozz_2006
14 years ago
I agree with Z, I don't think you can blame the injury he sustained two weeks ago to a not-yet-ready-for-primetime reconstructed knee. Having the back of your leg rolled upon will injure the healthiest and strongest of knees. That would've injured Tausch whether or not he was healing up from a knee surgery.
UserPostedImage
porky88
14 years ago

I watched Baltimore on Monday night and we all know Cleveland's offense is not the Packers offense but the Ravens will line up against us just like they did there.

As I have state the problem for us is defenses are going to set up to take the short stuff away because they feel Rodgers won't have the time needed to hurt them down field.

So if we go short it will be playing right into what they expect us to do. If thats the case it's not about our receivers not running good enough routes or needing to be better in one on one matchups. The defense will have the advantage until we start showing the big play capabilities this team has.

What some here are failing to see is that we have always been capable in the short passing game in the past BECAUSE teams had to respect what could happen to them down field. Teams couldn't afford to play us the way they do now because we would just go over the top.

The short game will be hardpressed as long as teams can rush four and create pressure as well. That leaves five defenders pressing short coverage.

The KEY to all of this is our five guys have to block the other teams four and force defenses to back off. There is no mystery to why we scored 17 points sunday. Rodgers YPA was over three yards less than what he has averaged all year.

All I can say is if this is what your asking for you better hope the defense plays lights out from here on in because points will not come easy.

"warhawk" wrote:

The problem is that the Packers' five guys can't block. They can't win the one on one matchups. Sure, Sitton is decent, but everyone else is either overpowered or over-matched. There is no way the down the field passing game will work on a consistent basis. Not with the offensive line. Rodgers will have to be near perfect every single game and he's not Peyton Manning.

Defenses can and will try to take away the short passing game, but no more or less than they have the last 14 years. This is nothing new. GB has been running the slant for years and this is the first season in along time that they've gotten away from it. Defenses in the past adjusted, but GB ran it better and they'll need to get back to doing that.

The offense was bad against Dallas because the matchup is not a good one. The Cowboys held GB in check for a better part of three quarters a year ago as well. Again, nothing new.

Defenses still have to account for Jennings going deep or Finley up the seam now. There are plenty of ways to go deep, but if you expect the Packers to go long and have success with a down the field passing game, you'll be watching an eight win team all year. They can't do it. The offensive line will not help them.

The Packers need to defenses to stay at home and not tee off. They'll need to run the football better so the linebackers stay home a second longer. That setups play action pass and that is how the Packers will go deep.

Start with the short pass out of the gate and then setup a double move later on. That is another way.

Deep posts and deep ins will not work unless Rodgers has time. That doesn't mean you don't' run them, as you do because you run everything, but it cannot be the stable part of the offense.

The offense needs to be balanced in order to hide the protection problems. Blend everything in and run a little bit of everything. The short passing game needs to be a stable part of the offense. Rodgers needs to have a quick release and everything else including the deep ball will fall into place.
macbob
14 years ago

The problem is that the Packers' five guys can't block. They can't win the one on one matchups. Sure, Sitton is decent, but everyone else is either overpowered or over-matched. There is no way the down the field passing game will work on a consistent basis. Not with the offensive line. Rodgers will have to be near perfect every single game and he's not Peyton Manning.

Defenses can and will try to take away the short passing game, but no more or less than they have the last 14 years. This is nothing new. GB has been running the slant for years and this is the first season in along time that they've gotten away from it. Defenses in the past adjusted, but GB ran it better and they'll need to get back to doing that.

The offense was bad against Dallas because the matchup is not a good one. The Cowboys held GB in check for a better part of three quarters a year ago as well. Again, nothing new.

Defenses still have to account for Jennings going deep or Finley up the seam now. There are plenty of ways to go deep, but if you expect the Packers to go long and have success with a down the field passing game, you'll be watching an eight win team all year. They can't do it. The offensive line will not help them.

The Packers need to defenses to stay at home and not tee off. They'll need to run the football better so the linebackers stay home a second longer. That setups play action pass and that is how the Packers will go deep.

Start with the short pass out of the gate and then setup a double move later on. That is another way.

Deep posts and deep ins will not work unless Rodgers has time. That doesn't mean you don't' run them, as you do because you run everything, but it cannot be the stable part of the offense.

The offense needs to be balanced in order to hide the protection problems. Blend everything in and run a little bit of everything. The short passing game needs to be a stable part of the offense. Rodgers needs to have a quick release and everything else including the deep ball will fall into place.

"porky88" wrote:

+1. To paraphrase Don Rumsfeld, we play with the offense that we have, not the offense that we'd like to have. We HAVE to adjust our approach based on the capabilities of the offensive line, receivers, etc that we have, not the offensive line that we'd like to have.
UserPostedImage
nerdmann
14 years ago

I watched Baltimore on Monday night and we all know Cleveland's offense is not the Packers offense but the Ravens will line up against us just like they did there.

As I have state the problem for us is defenses are going to set up to take the short stuff away because they feel Rodgers won't have the time needed to hurt them down field.

So if we go short it will be playing right into what they expect us to do. If thats the case it's not about our receivers not running good enough routes or needing to be better in one on one matchups. The defense will have the advantage until we start showing the big play capabilities this team has.

What some here are failing to see is that we have always been capable in the short passing game in the past BECAUSE teams had to respect what could happen to them down field. Teams couldn't afford to play us the way they do now because we would just go over the top.

The short game will be hardpressed as long as teams can rush four and create pressure as well. That leaves five defenders pressing short coverage.

The KEY to all of this is our five guys have to block the other teams four and force defenses to back off. There is no mystery to why we scored 17 points sunday. Rodgers YPA was over three yards less than what he has averaged all year.

All I can say is if this is what your asking for you better hope the defense plays lights out from here on in because points will not come easy.

"warhawk" wrote:

We're also getting Finley back. Jordi Nelson should be returning punts again this week.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
nerdmann
14 years ago

Agreed. OL has to block.

short routes, long routes, quick release, slow release, etc etc....some of these can shorten the odds, others will lengthen them.

but if the OL can't consistently get it done at least as well as it did in the Dallas game, none of it will matter.

i'm a lot more confident than i was a weak ago. but i'm not on the 'we're over the hump' bandwagon yet.

"Wade" wrote:

Yeah, the Oline looked stabilized against a very good D. The Defense seemed to take a quantum leap with my man Brad Jones in there.
I'd like to see the Packers continue to play at this level.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
nerdmann
14 years ago

I agree for the most part with regards to what philosophy we employ against teams with varying skils/weaknesses however;

I still think that whilst Finley provides a good recieving threat and a
matchup problem, our offensive line is so poor right now that gameplans change to play plans because big assignments are being missed - you is never know when the next d'oh! from our offensive line will creep in.

Tauscher is still a couple weeks of being a solid upgrade, especially after his latest setback.

With Clifton down, we were a bad Oline before we resigned Tauscher. Cliffy at LT makes us stable. As does Lang at RT. If Cliffy goes down, move Lang over to the left side. He's shown he can be a stopgap there. Tauscher has shown he can get it done on the right side.
I think our line will be ok for the rest of the year. If Cliffy goes down, we could be in trouble, though.
nerdmann
14 years ago

"porky88" wrote:

"warhawk" wrote:

1: Penalties killed all those drives.

2: The Oline looks stabilized, for now. They played well against a very good pass rushing team. They even ran the ball effectively.

3: They can also run some screens and traps.

4: Getting Finley back will help Rodgers alot. He's a big target who can go up higher than anyone else and get the ball. Dude can get open and get YAC too.
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
14 years ago

"macbob" wrote:

+1. To paraphrase Don Rumsfeld, we play with the offense that we have, not the offense that we'd like to have. We HAVE to adjust our approach based on the capabilities of the offensive line, receivers, etc that we have, not the offensive line that we'd like to have.

"porky88" wrote:

OMG. I find myself agreeing with Don Rumsfeld. Crap.
(time for a cold shower)

Good point, macbob, even if I wish you had used another authority to make it. 🙂
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
warhawk
  • warhawk
  • Senior Member Topic Starter
14 years ago
My point is that a short passing game "adjustment" is not an adjustment but a compensation and that compensation takes away a very potent dynamic to the offense.

I believe we have to go with the offense that gives a full array of problems for the defense and hope we get at least adequate blocking to run it. I think pulling away from that will be a BIGGER mistake.

I don't think we can forget that as bad as the line has been we have scored a lot of points. I do feel we need to be smarter by looking at the numbers and doing things to improve in certain situations. Rodgers has an unusually high number of sacks on first down. Maybe bring Green in on first down and shuffle Finley around in the backfield would cause concerns where we could get better results. That's two more targets to contend with or we run the ball.

As I said we play four teams in the top eight against the run and I doubt we will be running the ball down their throats. Now you have the run game, the short pass, the medium pass, and the long pass. I am not sure how anyone can feel we will be successful if the run isn't productive and we basically rely primarily on one means available to move the ball.

I have always felt our short passing game was effective because the offensive fire power was there downfield and the threat of getting past defenders kept them honest. If that component is not there it's a whole different ballgame. They have to offer the 15 to 20 yard pass to get the defenders to back off the tight coverage.

To get where we need to go I think that's the presentation we have to give the defense and the 0line will have to do a good enough job to get it done. More short passes than not? Sure. A trend where that's how we intend to move the ball drive after drive? No.
"The train is leaving the station."
Fan Shout
dfosterf (9h) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (9h) : Yes
Zero2Cool (10h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (12h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (13h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (16h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (17h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (28-Mar) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
4h / Around The NFL / beast

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.