Zero2Cool
14 years ago
Source Link 

[img_r]http://www.espnmilwaukee.com/includes/news_items/40/1888/celebrate.jpg[/img_r]GREEN BAY Aaron Rodgers knows all the clichs by rote theyre taking it one game at a time, theyre just focused on themselves and not what the other teams do but the Green Bay Packers quarterback is a smart enough dude to see the big picture.

And right now, thanks to Sundays 17-7 must-win triumph over the Dallas Cowboys at Lambeau Field, the Packers despite their still-present shortcomings, despite that horrendous loss to previously winless Tampa Bay one week earlier are very much in the frame of the NFC playoff snapshot. They may be on the edge and not front-and-center, but in a mediocre conference with two very good teams and a bunch of others still forging their identities, Rodgers Packers go into the final seven games with as good of playoff odds as anyone.

We knew at 4-4, playing a very good team, it was an important time in our season to get back in this race, Rodgers said. I think a lot of people were thinking this was going to be the end of the road for us and going to be a turning point for the negative for us this season. But it was a big win for our team.

That it was. At 5-4 entering Sundays game against 4-5 San Francisco at Lambeau Field, the Packers are tied with the Philadelphia Eagles, New York Giants and Atlanta Falcons for the fifth-best record in the NFC. Six teams qualify for the playoffs.

Of those four teams, the Eagles have the best conference record at 4-2, followed by the Packers and Falcons at 4-3 and the Giants, who had a bye Sunday, at 3-3.

Were right there, tied with Atlanta, Philly and the Giants, Rodgers said, needing no help to sort out the current NFC standings. We are in a spot where we know November and December games get you to the playoffs and that teams that often go the deepest in the playoffs are teams that get on a run here. So, hopefully this game will give us some momentum going into next week, another home game. Hopefully we can come out next week with the same kind of energy, enthusiasm and urgency and come out with a big win.

At this point, 9-0 New Orleans and 8-1 Minnesota (both 6-0 in NFC games) hold big leads in their divisions and are likely to earn the top two seeds and first-round playoff byes. The Saints lead the Falcons by four games in the NFC South and won the first head-to-head meeting, while the Vikings lead the Packers by three games in the NFC North and swept the season series, which essentially puts the Packers four games back.

The Cowboys (6-3 overall, 5-2 in the conference) have only a one-game lead in the NFC East over the Eagles and Giants, while the Arizona Cardinals (6-3, 4-2) have a two-game lead on the 49ers (4-5, 4-2) in the NFC West. The 49ers are one of three 4-5 teams Chicago and Carolina being the others that remain in contention despite sub.-500 records just past the seasons midpoint.

And truth be told, despite the victory, the Packers arent all that far from being one of those 4-5 teams. Some of the same problems that have plagued them all season allowing too many sacks (four Sunday, for a total of 41) and penalties (12 more for 100 yards, keeping them No. 1 in the NFL) remain

(You have to) be realistic and make the corrections as you prepare for San Francisco. That's what you have to do, Packers coach Mike McCarthy said during his usual day-after-the-game news conference Monday. Motivation comes in different forms and fashions throughout the course of a season, and that's definitely something in that victory yesterday that we can carry forward into our preparation for San Francisco, because there were obviously a lot of positives.

Perhaps the biggest positive was the way the coaches adjusted on both sides of the ball. On defense, coordinator Dom Capers dialed up five-man pressures on more than half of Dallas quarterback Tony Romos dropbacks, his strongest commitment to the blitz since the season-opening victory over Chicago.

The real good defenses Ive been around, you get that momentum going aggressively and you get the offense reacting to you, rather than you reacting to the offense, Capers said Monday. Youve seen us at times do that, and youve seen us at times when we havent been able to do that. The opener here against the Bears, we dictated the tempo of the game. Yesterday, we dictated the tempo of the game. And the times we havent been able to play real well, we havent been able to dictate the tempo.

I like the passion we played with. We still made some errors, but if you play aggressively, it covers up a lot of those. We had a lot of green jerseys around the football, and when you do that, good things are going to happen.

On offense, McCarthy and offensive coordinator Joe Philbin took a more cautious approach, abandoning the long ball for a quick, short passing game. The Packers longest gain through the air was a 24-yard completion to Donald Driver, and Driver got more than half the yardage after the catch. While the screen game wasnt overly productive, it kept the Cowboys pass rush honest, and Rodgers threw the slant well for several key completions.

Asked Monday if we will see more of the short passing game in coming weeks, Philbin replied. Weve played (the Cowboys) every year, so we have a little bit of a feel for them, and theyre a little bit of a unique 3-4 team. Weve got a rookie right tackle whos never played out there. So I think all of those factors added in to getting the ball out of our hands. Our sack issues have been well-documented. I think a little bit of everything. All those things played into consideration when we put the plan together.

McCarthy downplayed the significance of those adjustments Defensive signal-callers and offensive signal-callers call it the same way, McCarthy said, you have an intention of how you want to play every single game, but sometimes the game takes you down a different path but the Packers may have found a formula for success the rest of the year. Granted, game plans will change every week, but the approach seemed to work well in both instances.

I'm focused on winning and improving, McCarthy said, in response to a question about the playoff picture. You're probably tired of hearing about it. But that's the way we operate, so I'm not going to try to sit here and say it in different words and different statements. We need to win football games and we need to improve along the way, because you want to be playing your best football at the end of the year.

The National Football League is very competitive. I understand the passion that our fans have and the importance of winning. But as far as what people think and their opinions, I can't really concern myself with that. My concern and focus is on our football team.

Not only do the Packers seem to be getting their collective act together, but theyre getting healthier too. Wide receiver Jordy Nelson (knee) returned to action Sunday for the first time since Oct. 18; big-play tight end Jermichael Finley (knee) will practice Wednesday and should return to action for the first time since Oct. 25; left outside linebacker Aaron Kampman (concussion) is expected to return to his starting role while fill-in starter Brad Jones has earned playing time as well; veteran right tackle Mark Tauscher (knee) is expected to practice Wednesday and gives the Packers another option on the right side after rookie T.J. Lang played well against the Cowboys; and nickel linebacker Brandon Chillar (broken hand) is expected to play after missing two games, during which A.J. Hawk seemed to elevate his game.

Of course, the last time the Packers had such a key victory over a quality opponent was last October, when they beat Indianapolis at home to improve to 4-3. They followed that triumph with close road losses to then-unbeaten Tennessee and Minnesota to fall back below .500, then whipped Chicago before a five-game losing streak sunk their season.

You've got to continue to do it, said veteran cornerback Charles Woodson, whose nine tackles, two forced fumbles, one sack and one interception spurred the defensive performance. Winning just feels good. I don't care how you get 'em. We went out there and played with a lot of fire, a lot of passion that lasted from the beginning of the game to the end of the game. That has to be the mentality the rest of the season.

(Dallas is) a good team, no question, and we need to win games like that. But weve also got to win the games that were supposed to win. Theres some bad teams we played, we won. Tampa Bay was a bad team, and we let that one get away from us. To get where you need to go, youve got to beat good teams and youve got to win the games youre supposed to win. Its a good win, but from here on out, you just cant have any letdowns.

UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
dfosterf (5h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (12h) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (13h) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (14h) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (17h) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (19h) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (19h) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (20h) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (20h) : Against tbd
dfosterf (20h) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (20h) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (20h) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (20h) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (20h) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (20h) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (20h) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (20h) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (21h) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Hip drop is not. Super confusing. Referees job is harder
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Swivel hip drop is banned
dfosterf (25-Mar) : The hip drop enforcement will be in the form of fines, etc. Not flags
dfosterf (25-Mar) : A major foul will be enforced on the offense if there are offsetting penalties in a change of possession situation
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Teams will receive a 3rd challenge if 1 was successful. Previously, it took 2
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

18h / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.