Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago
Another excellent thread, and one in which I had an hour to sit down to and respond to thoroughly.

I've said repeatedly I'm not advocating a coaching change (though I have also said that short of a dramatic improvement in his overall performance, I don't think McCarthy is going to be offered another contract extension). I just said that one game, one victory, isn't enough to get me over my suspicions of Mike McCarthy -- which, I might add, date all the way back to the 2007 Cowboys game and were reinforced in the NFC Championship game. If he puts together a string of successive solid games, I'll let up on the gas a little. But right now I don't trust this team to be consistent on a week-to-week basis. They have this unsettling tendency to play well against good teams and fall flat on their face against bad ones.
UserPostedImage
Silentio
14 years ago
Nonstop, I know you're reaching back further than this, and I know the team collapsed against Tampa, but what do you call our victories this year against the Lions and the Browns in light of your description of the Packers "unsettling tendency to play well against good teams and fall flat on their face against bad ones?"
blank
porky88
14 years ago
One win means nothing if it's not sustained so I won't shutup nor take back what I feel was lousy back to back performances by players and coaches. Sometimes you have to go through hell to get to where you want to be.
Trippster
14 years ago

Someone shrunk their thong before wearing it today.

I have advice for you.

Calm. Down. Now.

Only I can tell who to shut up. :)

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

Oh, just shut up Zero.....just shut... up!

:pottytrain2:
"Let Your Light Shine!"
dhazer
14 years ago

I'll stay in the middle on this one for now.

Capers had an amazing game, but will he go back to his vanilla schemes once Kampman gets back? Will there be a sense of urgency to sent these exotic blitzes, since he appears to overvalue Kampman a little. And one more thing, how will our pressure be against a team that doesn't have an O-line that's decimated by injuries, like the Cowboys' was during most of our game.

I don't know about McCarthy yet, either. I have to say that I liked the way he approached this game and he looked a little fired up from time to time.

Again, this is just one game. I didn't jump on the fire McCarthy bandwagon after our loss against the Vikings, and I won't fully support him after one good win against the Cowboys.

Overall, he's been above average. Normally, that'd be great, but this is football. When someone is above average, it means that there's someone out there who's better, as well. And there are some guys out there who'd fit with our team better at this point.

"nerdmann" wrote:

This game was the first step in Mike McCarthy salvaging his career.

"Rockmolder" wrote:

Child please we need Mike McCarthy gone for us to win the super bowl.
Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be 🙂 (PS, Zero should charge for this)
UserPostedImage
DakotaT
14 years ago

This game was the first step in Mike McCarthy salvaging his career.

"dhazer" wrote:

Child please we need Mike McCarthy gone for us to win the super bowl.

"nerdmann" wrote:

With the O-line we have, I think the Wild Card game should be the goal right now. I'm not too happy about the running back situation either. We're in the light heavyweight division and have been for more than a decade. What keeps me encouraged is the young talent we have. One of these years though, Uncle Ted is going to have to solidify some weaknesses with free agency. Remember boys, it's a marathon, not a sprint.
UserPostedImage
Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago

Nonstop, I know you're reaching back further than this, and I know the team collapsed against Tampa, but what do you call our victories this year against the Lions and the Browns in light of your description of the Packers "unsettling tendency to play well against good teams and fall flat on their face against bad ones?"

"Silentio" wrote:

I said a tendency. I didn't say it was inevitable. I mean it happens with unsettling frequency. They don't always play well against good teams either. It's a correlation, not a certainty.

And forgive me if I don't take too much away from a stomping of the Lions and Browns (remember, the Lions played us well into the fourth quarter last year). If we start winning convincingly against the good teams, I'll put more credence into our victories over bad teams.
UserPostedImage
DakotaT
14 years ago

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

I said a tendency. I didn't say it was inevitable. I mean it happens with unsettling frequency. They don't always play well against good teams either. It's a correlation, not a certainty.

And forgive me if I don't take too much away from a stomping of the Lions and Browns (remember, the Lions played us well into the fourth quarter last year). If we start winning convincingly against the good teams, I'll put more credence into our victories over bad teams.

"Silentio" wrote:

It's the old weak sister argument Nonstop. Some people think getting to the playoffs by beating the crappy teams around the league is an accomplishment. Personally, I don't. When you can beat the good teams in the league in a convincing manner, then you have arrived. And when you are so good that other teams automatically chalk up a loss when they see you on the schedule, then you are where every fan wants its team to be. But then sustainability becomes a problem. Usually what happens is the GM blows his wad every year trying to keep it together. The Packers have gone through all phases of this stuff.

I'd say where we are is about the 93 Packers or so. A few more pieces and we can start really competing. Our problem amongst ourselves on this board is patience. I understand all of the win now people's point of view, but frankly, we are just not there yet. The only coaches head I've called for was Sherman and Vanilla Bob, but I get why people don't like McCarthey.
UserPostedImage
Pack93z
14 years ago

I'd say where we are is about the 93 Packers or so. A few more pieces and we can start really competing. Our problem amongst ourselves on this board is patience. I understand all of the win now people's point of view, but frankly, we are just not there yet. The only coaches head I've called for was Sherman and Vanilla Bob, but I get why people don't like McCarthey.

"DakotaT" wrote:

You can mark me on the James Campen fire bandwagon. ;)

Seriously.. we really need to plug someone in on the offensive line staff that can put together a solid line, with solid fundamentals. IN addition have the ability to put together both an effective pass protection scheme and make a decisive decision on a run blocking scheme.

IMO opinion, as I mentioned in late 07.. this group isn't progressing.. two years later.. same bucket just older.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
go.pack.go.
14 years ago
I think we need to address the offensive line in the 1st round this year. After we draft a LT like Brian Bulaga or Ciron Black or someone of that nature. After that I think we should go for someone like Jahvid Best (RB, Cal) in the second round or perhaps another lineman, a RT.

If we get the two tackles solidified, I think we can put Lang at LG and keep Spitz at center and then keep Sitton at RG.

It would be nice to get a RT or LT in FA so that we can get a good RB to help out Ryan Grant in the 2nd round. Jahvid Best would be a great change of pace back, and could probably even win over the starting job. CJ Spiller would be nice too but there's no way he drops to the 2nd round.

Ok, now I'm done with my draft rant.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
dfosterf (14h) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (14h) : Yes
Zero2Cool (15h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (18h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (18h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (21h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (22h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (28-Mar) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
57m / Around The NFL / Martha Careful

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.