Pack93z
14 years ago

This Defense was definately more aggressive, no doubt about it.

http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/article/20091116/PKR01/311160144/1058/After-further-review--Breaking-down-tape-of-the-win-over-the-Cowboys 

With Dallas all but abandoning the run, Capers sent five or more rushers on 18 of 47 snaps (38.3 percent) and a blitz pattern with one of seven inside linebackers or defensive backs on 28 snaps (59.6 percent). Perhaps the most surprisingly effective blitzer was dime CB Jarrett Bush, who came five times and had two pressures, one of them off a nifty spin against Choice.

"evad04" wrote:

Not exactly sure why it took Capers so long to bring out the aggressive gameplan but I hope to God he sticks with it. I mean just think about, I would say that during the CIN and both MIN games, this Defense was everything but aggressive. It seemed like we stayed back in coverage more often then sending 3 or 4 guys at the QB, clearly that killed us.

"packfan4" wrote:

Part of the explanation is in the first sentence from that Press-Gazette snippet. The Cowboys inexplicably abandoned the run. They had a few successful runs very early in the game. After we shut it down a little bit they just abandoned it. Don't expect San Francisco to do the same -- they'll lean on the run against Green Bay. They like to run the ball, play good defense and keep it close. I think there's a way to be a pressure run-stopping defense -- but note that Capers [successful] approach to AP involved less blitzing (and huge games from Favre, unfortunately).

If we can be good on first and second down against the run on Sunday then I'd hope we're aggressive on some third downs. Just call a smart game. We even got pressure on a few four-man pass rushes against the 'Girls. Guys just have to show up and make some plays.

Good luck getting through on this argument..

Dj vu... been here on this discussion.. if you nonstop blitz you create natural running lanes by disrupting the balance of the defense. In the Viking games, Capers blatantly took away the run by keeping the Backers at their depth until they read pass, then they dropped into coverages.. run first, then defend the pass.

If you wait to read the run, then blitz you are going to be late to the party.. Capers scheme dictated to the Vikes, beat us through the air.. not grind us on the ground.

The Cowboys by their alignment assisted Capers in dialing up the pressure.. it is adjusting to what the offense is doing and can potentially do.

It is clear to me, Capers has more confidence in the pass defense of this team than the ability of the front seven to stay in their pass rush lanes to close off run with pass blitzes called.. With the three corners we put on the field.. I agree if you let them press. Part of that lack of confidence IMO is the limited rotation depth that we currently have on the defensive line.. talented 4 guys.. but beyond those four.. we take a step down..

IMO, with guys like AP, Barber and maybe Gore this weekend, you take that threat away from the team.. if you don't you will find your defense getting worn down late in game to finish.

Goes back to the defense stuffing the run thread.. a truly special defense can focus on one aspect of the offense take it away and still be effective in the other phases.. where we are hamstrung a little is rotational depth on the d line, linebackers up to last week that were a little undisciplined in their blitz lanes, and the ability to create pressure without multiple backer blitzes or DB blitzes.

Overall, I think we are a solid defense that is getting better at the scheme and is a few players away from being special. Right now, we have to compensate from some of our weaknesses, and that is focus on the run first, frustrate the offense and get them into a passing mode then bring pressure.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
warhawk
14 years ago
We will obviously be in the run stop mode more because the 49'rs are going to keep pounding it. A staple for any offense on the road is to try and establish a run game.

What I hope for is we score some points while shutting down their run and push them to throw the ball. Once we know they have to go to the air more because they are behind we can get after the QB.

I would like to see 10 points for the Pack in the first quarter. It would be nice to do something in the first part of the game for a change. The 49'rs are not going to do a lot of anything major as long as they are in the game. Especially since they have been turnover prone.
"The train is leaving the station."
Zero2Cool
14 years ago
Could we feasibly go eight in the box to stop the run and have Woodson shadow Davis?

I don't think Crabtree and Bruce can beat Harris and Williams with Alex Smith at the helm.
UserPostedImage
Yerko
14 years ago
Main thing is going to be stopping Gore. The Packers stopped Peterson pretty much in both games (better running back, better offensive line) so I don't see Frank Gore being much of a threat (since the Vikings have a duel threat and the Niners only have Gore).
Another thing is Vernon Davis. This guy was stopped by the struggling Bears defense. I don't think we will have an issue with him.
I believe the Packers have someone that can match-up with Crabtree.
UserPostedImage
zombieslayer
14 years ago

Could we feasibly go eight in the box to stop the run and have Woodson shadow Davis?

I don't think Crabtree and Bruce can beat Harris and Williams with Alex Smith at the helm.

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

Yes. Stop Gore and make Smith do something.

The OC and Smith have pretty bad chemistry. He doesn't know how to use Smith at all. It's like one of those dates where when she's not looking, you make a quick glance at your watch.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
nerdmann
14 years ago

This Defense was definately more aggressive, no doubt about it.

http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/article/20091116/PKR01/311160144/1058/After-further-review--Breaking-down-tape-of-the-win-over-the-Cowboys 

With Dallas all but abandoning the run, Capers sent five or more rushers on 18 of 47 snaps (38.3 percent) and a blitz pattern with one of seven inside linebackers or defensive backs on 28 snaps (59.6 percent). Perhaps the most surprisingly effective blitzer was dime CB Jarrett Bush, who came five times and had two pressures, one of them off a nifty spin against Choice.

"packfan4" wrote:

Not exactly sure why it took Capers so long to bring out the aggressive gameplan but I hope to God he sticks with it. I mean just think about, I would say that during the CIN and both MIN games, this Defense was everything but aggressive. It seemed like we stayed back in coverage more often then sending 3 or 4 guys at the QB, clearly that killed us.

Might be that he's able to do much more without having to compensate for kampman's deficiencies.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
nyrpack
14 years ago
please go with the same dee scheme used against dallas !!
jimmy b.
Silentio
14 years ago

Capers had the "politically correct" response to the media. Harris is telling the truth.

"zombieslayer" wrote:

I don't know if he was being "politically correct," I think he was hedging. I mean, it's his job to disguise coverage and create confusion, why would it be any different when he's talking to the media?
blank
LambeauEast
14 years ago
Not to mention the fact that the Cowboys had NO healthy linemen.

Stop the run and force Smith to beat us...like takin' candy from a baby!
UserPostedImage
British
14 years ago

A staple for any offense on the road is to try and establish a run game.

"warhawk" wrote:

As a relative newbie could someone explain why is it more important to get a running game going when you're on the road?
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (7h) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (7h) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (12h) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#×k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
Martha Careful (6-Apr) : Go Boilermakers!!!
Martha Careful (5-Apr) : Diggs has not stepped up in the playoffs and has a high cost
beast (5-Apr) : Probably not going to let Diggs walk away unless he's horrible... but according to reports he also might not be as good as he used to be.
beast (5-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft has been an offensive player since 2017, 2 TE, 2 WR, 1 RB, 1 OC
Mucky Tundra (5-Apr) : Odd, why give up a 2025 2nd Rounder for him if you're just gonna let him walk?
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : Texans to let Diggs be free agent in '25
buckeyepackfan (4-Apr) : 49r's aign RB Patrick Taylor.
Martha Careful (4-Apr) : Reversion to the mean would indicate we will keep it
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : It's also been utilized in a trade in 14 of the past 20 years
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft hasn't been made by it's original holder since 2016.
Mucky Tundra (4-Apr) : Gotta imagine that Green Bay vs Houston will be a primetime game this upcoming season
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : No. Kill QB. No worries. 😁
Mucky Tundra (3-Apr) : Diggs, Collins, Dell and Schultz is gonna be tough to cover
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Stefon Diggs' trade will not be processed as a post-June 1 designation, so that is just over $31 million in dead cap this year.
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Bills trading WR Stefon Diggs to the Texans in exchange for a 2025 2nd-round pick. (via @rapsheet)
beast (3-Apr) : Using Patterson as RB and RB/WR tweener... so I think they also signed Patterson as a 3rd down RB, not just a kick returner as articles are
beast (3-Apr) : I think PFT missed the real Steelers/Patterson connection, Steelers new OC Arthur Smith has been Patterson's head coach the last 3 years
wpr (2-Apr) : It has Martha. I was stunned when I was in HS to learn Iowa was still playing half court BB in the 70's.
Martha Careful (2-Apr) : Caitlin Clark, Angel Reese...women's sports has come a long way. GREAT TO SEE!!
Martha Careful (31-Mar) : Happy Easter everyone. I hope you all have a great day.
dfosterf (28-Mar) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (28-Mar) : Yes
Zero2Cool (28-Mar) : No.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
2h / Random Babble / Martha Careful

3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16-Apr / Random Babble / Martha Careful

15-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12-Apr / Random Babble / Nonstopdrivel

12-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

8-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

5-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.