Zero2Cool
14 years ago
Web Page Name 

[img_r]http://www.espnmilwaukee.com/includes/news_items/40/1923/reillybrohm.jpg[/img_r]GREEN BAY In the end, all that will truly matter is whether or not the guy can play. And were a long, long way from knowing that.

But as first impressions go, Green Bay Packers new practice-squad quarterback Mike Reilly is one thing that Brian Brohm never seemed to be: Happy to be here.

You know Brohms story by now. Youll learn Reillys in a minute.

First, Brohm: Projected as a top-10 pick following his junior year at Louisville; comes back for what turns out to be a disappointing senior season; chosen in the second round of the 2008 NFL Draft by the Packers; struggles mightily as a rookie and loses out on the primary backup job to seventh-round pick Matt Flynn; fails to beat out Flynn in training camp this summer; winds up being released on the final roster reduction; then is re-signed to the practice squad.

Brohm was once thought to be the most NFL-ready quarterback in the 2007 class instead, Atlantas Matt Ryan and Baltimores Joe Flacco were selected before him in the first round and played well as rookies, while Brohm couldnt beat out Flynn so you couldnt blame the guy for being disappointed with his situation in Green Bay.

It had to be a blow to his already bruised ego to be released at the end of camp, and even more disheartening to find that no other NFL team claimed him on waivers for their 53-man roster. Perhaps the change of scenery that hell receive in Buffalo, after the Bills signed him to their 53-man roster Wednesday night, will be just what he needs. Hes only 24 years old, with plenty of time to turn his career around.

"The last 24 hours have been good to me. I went from being on the practice squad to having pretty much two offers," Brohm said after his first practice with the Bills, saying he was getting a chance to make "a new first impression" with his new team. "I just wanted a fresh start, a new start, and I think Buffalo gives me that."

But Brohm always came across as a guy who felt like the Packers simply werent recognizing how good he really was, in spite of some ugly preseason numbers (58-of-104, 55.% completion percentage, 455 yards, no touchdowns, four interceptions, 50.8 passer rating in eight preseason games). Perhaps that was just self-confidence; perhaps it was a function of having been The Man for so much of his football life, having appeared on the cover of Sports Illustrated as a junior in high school and being seen as Louisville football royalty after his dad and brother played for the Cardinals.

Either way, it spoke volumes that the Packers didnt try very hard to keep him.

Despite reports to the contrary, the Packers did not match the Bills offer to Brohm, which was a two-year deal and included bonus money. Instead, coach Mike McCarthy confirmed that Brohm could have stayed with the Packers, and with an opening on the 53-man roster, the Packers could have bumped him up from the practice squad if they wanted to.

But despite knowing how it would look Brohms departure means the Packers squandered the second-round pick they received from Cleveland for defensive lineman Corey Williams in February 2007 the Packers simply acknowledged that Buffalo was a better situation for Brohm and let him go.

In Green Bay, the Packers have a 25-year-old future star in starter Aaron Rodgers, and the coaching and personnel staffs feel strongly about Flynns future. In Buffalo, Brohm gets an opportunity in what appears to be a wide-open quarterback situation. Following the firing of coach Dick Jauron earlier this week, interim coach Perry Fewell announced that starter Trent Edwards was being benched in favor of Ryan Fitzpatrick. The Bills released third-stringer Gibran Hamdan to make room for Brohm Thursday, and with Edwards future with the team in doubt, Brohm could play for the Bills sometime this season.

I had a chance to talk to Brian about it yesterday. He had an opportunity to stay here, McCarthy said. I respect Brian. I thought Brian was improving. I just want to wish him the best.

To replace Brohm on the practice squad, the Packers signed Reilly, who was a four-year starter at Division II Central Washington the alma mater of longtime NFL quarterback Jon Kitna and went to training camp with the Pittsburgh Steelers. In three exhibition games, he threw 15 passes, completing 10 for 117 yards, with no touchdowns, no interceptions, five sacks and a passer rating of 90.1. In the end, the Steelers went with the same QB threesome Ben Roethlisberger, Charlie Batch and Dennis Dixon as they had last year.

Now, whoever the quarterback is on the Packers practice squad, it will have no bearing on Sundays game against the San Francisco 49ers at Lambeau Field. And generally speaking, such a signing wouldnt merit a story like this one.

But the stark contrast between Brohm and Reilly was unmistakable Thursday. Operating on virtually no sleep and proudly wearing a Central Washington T-shirt Theyre undefeated right now, No. 1 in the nation, he happily informed reporters Reilly stood in front of his locker in the auxiliary Green Mile section of the locker room and oozed enthusiasm.

I havent played football in a month and a half, so Im hungry, said Reilly, who was one of five free agents to work out for the Packers on Sept. 15, along with ex-Harvard quarterback Chris Pizzotti. "Practice feels like a blessing, really, rather than a burden. Im excited to get out and work hard and show what I can do.

The 6-foot-3, 214-pound Reilly also worked out for Seattle, Buffalo and New Orleans his workout for the Saints was on Tuesday before getting the call from the Packers Wednesday afternoon, setting in motion quite the challenging travel itinerary from his home in Kennewick, Wash. He got the big news at 3 p.m., hurriedly packed a bag and was at the Pasco Tri-Cities Airport a few hours later.

I had to fly up to Seattle at 9 oclock, had a layover until 12:30 (a.m.), went to Minneapolis, landed (there) maybe at 6 oclock, and then I jumped on (a flight from) Minneapolis to Appleton, got there about 8 oclock, came straight here, talked to the doctors, got my equipment and then we had practice, Reilly said. Its definitely a blessing. Im excited. I dont think I could sleep if I wanted to.

Again, as a player, Reilly is a bit of an unknown. Pre-draft scouting reports said that despite his good football IQ, sound decision-making and college production after beginning his college career as a walk-on at Washington State but went on to break the Wildcats record for career passing yards (12,448) that belonged to Kitna, who entered the league as a rookie free agent with the Seahawks in 1996 he lacked the arm strength to make it in the NFL.

But Reilly opened eyes at the NFL Scouting Combine in Indianapolis, where he was the only Division II quarterback to merit an invitation. And he continues to work to keep his NFL dream alive.

A newlywed he and his wife Jessica got married April 4 Reilly had been working part-time for his father-in-law, putting his mechanical engineering degree to use while staying in shape and holding out hope for another NFL chance. And thats all hes getting from the Packers.

I saw some tape on Mike in the preseason, plus also his combine workout and so forth. Very athletic quarterback and did some good things in Pittsburgh during the preseason, McCarthy said. We'll have an opportunity to try to get him acclimated to the way we do things here. I'm glad he's here.

And so is Reilly, who was already looking forward to the offseason and attending McCarthys acclaimed quarterback school.

Its kind of hard midseason. I know being a third-string guy and just coming in, theres not going to be a lot of opportunities for me to get a lot of work in, Reilly said. Im going to have to spend some time after practice doing some things and doing a lot of mental reps. But the offseason, Im really looking forward to getting that coaching, working on my technique and just becoming as good as I can be. Theres a lot of great quarterbacks that have gone through that school and improved tremendously, so Im looking forward to that.

Its going to take some time, but I think Ill catch on pretty quick.

I never cared for Brohm too much. I'm hoping Mike is better.
UserPostedImage
Dulak
14 years ago
hope he keeps the 13 - lucky 13
dfosterf
14 years ago
This article seems to lend some credence to Non's theory about Brohm.

I don't think his 'tude mattered much, one way or the other. The young man could not produce, and that is the bottom line.

And we have a new variable in Reilly, an unknown that I can't imagine would have anything but a positive attitude going forward.

It's always interesting to see what you got in a new quarterback. We saw Brohm, and I saw...

meh.

Maybe this one will be a good one. I have liked the news so far, haven't you?
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
14 years ago
well, as a mechanical engineer, he might make the Mike Reid team at some point. 🙂
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
Fan Shout
dfosterf (13h) : The only problem with that is he isn't a guard either.
dfosterf (13h) : Put him at right guard. That is where he will be coached. That is where he will compete. He is not even allowed to look at the LT playbook.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Kidding aside, I hope the best for him.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Went to a Titans board. One comment there. Not very long. I quote: "LOL" They don't sound overly upset about our aquisition.
beast (18-Apr) : OT Dillard has been absolutely horrible... like OG Newman levels
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Suit him up and have him stand in front of the big board as a draft day cautionary tale.
Zero2Cool (18-Apr) : Packers sign T Andre Dillard.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#×k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
Martha Careful (6-Apr) : Go Boilermakers!!!
Martha Careful (5-Apr) : Diggs has not stepped up in the playoffs and has a high cost
beast (5-Apr) : Probably not going to let Diggs walk away unless he's horrible... but according to reports he also might not be as good as he used to be.
beast (5-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft has been an offensive player since 2017, 2 TE, 2 WR, 1 RB, 1 OC
Mucky Tundra (5-Apr) : Odd, why give up a 2025 2nd Rounder for him if you're just gonna let him walk?
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : Texans to let Diggs be free agent in '25
buckeyepackfan (4-Apr) : 49r's aign RB Patrick Taylor.
Martha Careful (4-Apr) : Reversion to the mean would indicate we will keep it
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : It's also been utilized in a trade in 14 of the past 20 years
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft hasn't been made by it's original holder since 2016.
Mucky Tundra (4-Apr) : Gotta imagine that Green Bay vs Houston will be a primetime game this upcoming season
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : No. Kill QB. No worries. 😁
Mucky Tundra (3-Apr) : Diggs, Collins, Dell and Schultz is gonna be tough to cover
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

19-Apr / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16-Apr / Random Babble / Martha Careful

15-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12-Apr / Random Babble / Nonstopdrivel

12-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.