Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago

49ers Packers part I 

Takeo Spikes won't play with his sore hamstring, and 49ers defensive coordinator Greg Manusky told KNBR's Rod Brooks that they will fake pressure against Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers and then back off to a 4-man rush.

Packers drive: The 49ers give up a score on the opponent's first drive for the first time all year. The Packers gashed them with the run, going with either two tights or a pro set formation for all but two plays. The Packers don't look ready. On a 20-yard completion to tight end Finley, safety Michael Lewis was caught flat-footed on a crossing route. Packers 3-0. 8 plays, 69 yards.

49ers drive: The 49ers go with only pass but get a big run by Frank Gore got them in scoring territory. On third-and-short from the 28, fullback Moran Norris lost yardage. They were able to get yards with the use of Norris as a blocker and should have done that on the short yardage play, without a lead blocker the linebacker was able to come free and stop Norris. Joe Nedney did boot a 47-yarder to tie the game however. 3-3. First time the 49ers have scored on their first drive. Six plays, 51 yards.

Packers drive: The 49ers are playing very conservatively. They've only blitzed once, and they are playing their both safeties back with the corners playing off. It's not working. The 49ers seemed to have prepared for the Packers to throw short, but instead they are going down the field. Shawntae Spencer is following the Packers most explosive receiver, Greg Jennings, all over the field and Spencer is struggling. He gave up a 37-yard reception to him. The 49ers do stiffin in the red zone hold the Pack to a field goal. The 49ers got lucky, Jennings was open in the end zone third down from the 8-yard line, but Rodgers didn't seem him. 6-3 Packers

49ers Drive: Michael Robinson is down after being a lead blocker on a Frank Gore 3-yard run up the middle. Players signaled to the sidelines right away. Robinson was squirming on the ground. Robinson got his head jammed when he hit linebacker Nick Barnett Robinson is now coming off the field gingerly. Gary Plummer on KNBR thinks its a stinger.

49ers Drive Cont: David Baas hurt his right ankle or foot. The 49ers go 3-and-out. On third down, Frank Gore got out late on the check down and Alex Smith didn't have time to go to him. The other three receivers ran deep routes and no one was open. Baas has had ankle problems all year. Smith had a chance to run it on second down and get yardage, instead he threw to incomplete to Morgan on the sidelines. The 49ers are going primarily with run formations that puts Smith under center. They might want to open it up. When Smith came off the field, Mike Singletary told him, "Play the game."

SECOND QUARTER

Packers drive: The 49ers are no longer matching Spencer against Jennings. Tarell Brown and Shawntae Spencer are staying in left and right corner. The 49ers should be beating the Packers on the edges with the Pack's injury problems. Great pressure by Sopoaga to force an intentional grounding. How about Sopoaga, at 330 pounds, running down Rodgers. Looked like Sopoaga was shot out of cannon. Key stop here for the 49ers and momentum killer.

49ers drive: Another 3-and-out, the 49ers have to do something different. They have played with a fullback more in this game than any other. Their strategy seems to be tough running and throwing deep. Not working. Better spread them out and let Smith do his thing.

Packers drive: Touchdown Greg Jennings on a slant and a long run. Bad angle by Dashon Goldson, bad coverage by Tarell Brown who got beat off the jam and not enough speed by Mark Roman in trying to run him down, a 64-yard touchdown. The 49ers secondary is really getting exposed in this game. You get the feeling the Packers are on the verge of a blow out here. The 49ers are going with a dime defense on passing downs because Takeo Spikes isn't playing with his sore hamstring. That formation is getting beat. Anytime Mark Roman is on the field, bad things seem to happen. Rodgers is now 13 of 18 for 188 yards. 13-3 Green Bay. 49ers drive: Sack, incompletion, and a short gain to Crabtree on a slip screen. It's the first completion of the day for San Francisco. One completion, and one first down for in a 22 minutes of football. Meanwhile, the Packers have over 200 yards of offense. It's amazing it's only a 10-point lead for the Packers.

Packers drive: Great coverage by Tarell Brown down the field on Donald Driver on the first play. Curtis Taylor in the game for the first time I've seeen as a safety. The 49ers give up a screen for a first down on 3rd-and-11. On that play, the 49ers bring in Kentwan Balmer as an inside rusher. Really, Kentwan Balmer? When was the last time he even got within 10 feet of the quarterback? The 49ers tried to blitz on that drive and they go scorched. The Packers are doing anything they want. The 49ers defensive line continues to complain about being held. They should worry about stopping the Packers. Rodgers has some speed! Wow, Brown is really getting beat. He missed a tackle Jordy Nelson on a smoke pass for a 6-yard TD. It's 20-3 and the onslaught is on. Over the 300 yards of offense for the Packers.

49ers Drive: Surprise a 3 and out. Packers couldn't have scripted this any better. They are doing anything they want.

Packers Drive: Green Bay gets a field goal and it's amazing they are only up 23-3. Green Bay has 367 yards of offense in the first half. Wow, imagine if they doubled that in the second half.

FIRST HALF ASSESSMENT: This was the most conservative game plan of the season for the 49ers. Little blitzing on defense, safeties back, cornerbacks off. On offense, lots of pro set formations with two backs a tight end and two receivers. Even though the 49ers known they have a spread quarterback, they are refusing to let him function out of that formation. What are they doing? If they aren't going to open up, then they will not know if Alex Smith can run that type of offense at the pro level. This really makes me question whether Jimmy Raye is the coordinator for Smith. The 49ers aren't making the playoffs, they should adjust their offense to suit what Smith and Crabtree do. Otherwise, the 49ers are just stagnating.

Posted By: Kevin Lynch (Email) | November 22 2009 at 09:54 AM

UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
dfosterf (14h) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (14h) : Yes
Zero2Cool (15h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (17h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (18h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (21h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (22h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (28-Mar) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
43m / Around The NFL / Martha Careful

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.