DakotaT
14 years ago
I would certainly hope Barnett and Hawk lead the team in tackles when everything is funneled to them.

And Akamp 74, how are we spoiled at Linebacker? When was the last time we put one on the All Pro team? And I'm not talking about that vacation game in Honolulu either.
UserPostedImage
Yerko
14 years ago

I would certainly hope Barnett and Hawk lead the team in tackles when everything is funneled to them.

And Akamp 74, how are we spoiled at Linebacker? When was the last time we put one on the All Pro team? And I'm not talking about that vacation game in Honolulu either.

"DakotaT" wrote:

I just think comparing our linebackers to other teams in the NFL, our linebackers stand out.

I have tons of Bears fans as friends and we always compare rosters and for some reason I was saying Barnett > Urlacher even though I dog Barnett week after week.

I enjoy our linebacker play and looking at other teams, the Packers linebacker situation can be a lot worse. I think they are answering the challenge in the 3-4 (with major help of the three big men in front of them).
UserPostedImage
zombieslayer
14 years ago
The only starting MLBs in the NFC that are unarguably better than Nick Barnett right now are on the Eagles and Niners. Other MLBs you can make arguments one way or another.

And yes, I'd take Nick over Urlacher, who I strongly feel is on the decline whereas Barnett, he started the season slowly but he's about to explode. His last four games have been solid and I think our 3-4 is coming together.

My biggest concern of course is exploiting the hole Harris will be leaving.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
DakotaT
14 years ago

I just think comparing our linebackers to other teams in the NFL, our linebackers stand out.

I have tons of Bears fans as friends and we always compare rosters and for some reason I was saying Barnett > Urlacher even though I dog Barnett week after week.

I enjoy our linebacker play and looking at other teams, the Packers linebacker situation can be a lot worse. I think they are answering the challenge in the 3-4 (with major help of the three big men in front of them).

"AKamp74" wrote:

Very well, I just have been waiting for the next Wayne Simmons for over ten years and he hasn't shown up yet. I know our linebackers are above average, and will continue to get better with the D-line we suddenly have, I just don't see that nasty Mutha that you need to take your defense to the next level.
UserPostedImage
warhawk
14 years ago

I know that I am not always rah rah Barnett.. but I have to give him props on his one stop for a loss.. he blew past the blocker and made a stick.. that is what I expect out of inside linebackers on a consistent basis.

But Hawk and he both got buried on Gore's on big run.. Barnett avoided contact and Hawk got handled by the fullback with ease... you get beat sometimes so I won't bang on their helmets too much. Solid players.

"pack93z" wrote:

I'm not certain but pretty sure that was a run blitz and when Hawk moved up and saw the FB his job was to meet him head on in that gap. Bigby was the guy unblocked that let him slip by.

This is the type of play I would like to be in the tape room with Capers and learn exactly how that play was to be defended. If a FB is coming thru a gap to take on Hawk and the other LB is also attacking another gap then you would think the OLB and Bigby would have responsibility there.
"The train is leaving the station."
wils0646
14 years ago

I know that I am not always rah rah Barnett.. but I have to give him props on his one stop for a loss.. he blew past the blocker and made a stick.. that is what I expect out of inside linebackers on a consistent basis.

But Hawk and he both got buried on Gore's on big run.. Barnett avoided contact and Hawk got handled by the fullback with ease... you get beat sometimes so I won't bang on their helmets too much. Solid players.

"warhawk" wrote:

I'm not certain but pretty sure that was a run blitz and when Hawk moved up and saw the FB his job was to meet him head on in that gap. Bigby was the guy unblocked that let him slip by.

This is the type of play I would like to be in the tape room with Capers and learn exactly how that play was to be defended. If a FB is coming thru a gap to take on Hawk and the other LB is also attacking another gap then you would think the OLB and Bigby would have responsibility there.

"pack93z" wrote:

Jolly also took responsibility for the big run:

Packers defensive lineman Johnny Jolly made a mental mistake on San Francisco's second offensive play. Misjudging his responsibility, he was primarily responsible for a 42-yard run by running back Frank Gore - the longest run play on the Packers this year.

"I was supposed to be on the 'B' gap on the run, but I thought it was a pass set-up," said Jolly. "It was like a longer draw, so by the time I got back to the B gap, he hit it. It was my fault; I took the blame for that. I told them, 'Hey, guys, my fault. It won't happen again.' "

And it didn't. Three plays later, on third and 1 on Green Bay's 29, Jolly's wingman, nose tackle Ryan Pickett, gobbled up fullback Moran Norris for no gain, forcing the 49ers to kick a field goal.

The Pack Will Be Back.
warhawk
14 years ago
I knew something was up there because of the way Hawk moved up and took the FB on. I was pretty certain the scheme wouldn't call for him to do that AND be the one to make the play. I know the LB'rs are supposed to be left in a position to make tackles and that certainly didn't come off the way it was designed.
"The train is leaving the station."
go.pack.go.
14 years ago
First of all, please don't merge this with the other Barnett thread, because I want this to be about one thing in specific.

Do you guys think that with Aaron Kampman being out that Barnett can play some OLB? He has been doing good getting off of some blocks and getting to the QB lately. I think with his speed and talent that he can do it; not as full time, but to give some of the other guys a breather.

I also believe that Chillar can do it.

Your thoughts?
UserPostedImage
14 years ago
McCarthy was asked that about Chillar at his presser today, and he said they were happy with who they have at OLB and ILB with no one switching.
all_about_da_packers
14 years ago
Barnett has received zero reps as OLB. Too late to even consider moving him there.

Between Poppinga, Jones, and Thompson, there is enough depth that we don't need to switch LBs over.
The NFL: Where Greg Jennings Happens.
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (1h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (2h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (12h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (19h) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (20h) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (21h) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Hip drop is not. Super confusing. Referees job is harder
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Swivel hip drop is banned
dfosterf (25-Mar) : The hip drop enforcement will be in the form of fines, etc. Not flags
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

20h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.