Stevetarded
14 years ago

The reason he's not getting playing time is because there have been better options... simple as that...

Bishop gives up a lot of plays to the offense... he makes them too but he gives them up more than he makes...

the other ILB are better... no other reason than the others are better...

"beast" wrote:

I cant quote the 08 preseason but from what I was told. That he led tackles in both 08 and 09 and also had x amount of ints in 09 (cant look up stats atm) - in preseason (this is where he got playing time). And ya if you remember capers wasnt all conservative like he was in the post season with his blitzing packages ...

ya he is not the end all at the LB position but a damn good one IMO and should be getting playing time in real games.

"Dulak" wrote:

And David Clowny has lead the NFL in yardard in preseason yet hasn't done much in the real season...

Bishop can make plays... BUT he gives up more plays than he makes... clearly the coaches noted that and that's why he's not giving playing time...

there is no other reason not to play him... other than he's not the best they have...

"beast" wrote:

BS
blank
DanJustDan29
14 years ago
I can MAYBE buy that he is not as consistent as the other starters, but I have a feeling that Bishop can make plays happen. A good team has a mixture of bother players, consistent and reliable, but also players who can make something happen.
Teamwork is what the Green Bay Packers were all about. They didn't do it for individual glory. They did it because they loved one another. -Vince Lombardi
Dulak
14 years ago

The reason he's not getting playing time is because there have been better options... simple as that...

Bishop gives up a lot of plays to the offense... he makes them too but he gives them up more than he makes...

the other ILB are better... no other reason than the others are better...

"beast" wrote:

I cant quote the 08 preseason but from what I was told. That he led tackles in both 08 and 09 and also had x amount of ints in 09 (cant look up stats atm) - in preseason (this is where he got playing time). And ya if you remember capers wasnt all conservative like he was in the post season with his blitzing packages ...

ya he is not the end all at the LB position but a damn good one IMO and should be getting playing time in real games.

"Dulak" wrote:

And David Clowny has lead the NFL in yardard in preseason yet hasn't done much in the real season...

Bishop can make plays... BUT he gives up more plays than he makes... clearly the coaches noted that and that's why he's not giving playing time...

there is no other reason not to play him... other than he's not the best they have...

"beast" wrote:

IMO yes its based on a few things:
- ILB has 2 spots and bishop backs up barnett; whom I will agree came back Very good from his ACL tear.
- Barnett makes alot more money then bishop
- even thou bishop is probably a better rusher (the word probably is used because he hasnt gotten enough playing time to determine this in regular season) - preseason definately. But barnett appears to have better coverage skills.
ILikeThePackers39
14 years ago
I remember a very simliar discussion about Hodge - and I remember being in the crowd that was convinced Hodge was the man for the job. We were wrong.

Honestly, other than the fact that he occasionally blows someone up (and I'll admit that I enjoy that as much as anyone else), why are people so utterly convinced that he's some victim of money politics, and not simply a step or two behind Hawk and Barnett?

Dude has been guilty of some major mental lapses - he'll flash like crazy but he's been inconsistent. That's why he hasn't seen the field on a consistent basis to this point, but it's silly to assume he won't due to some other player's salary.

IMO.
blank
beast
14 years ago

BUT he gives up more plays than he makes

"Stevetarded" wrote:

BS

"beast" wrote:

That was a very stupid commit... so what's the reason he's not on the field?

It's because he's not as good as the other ILBers...

IMO yes its based on a few things:
- ILB has 2 spots and bishop backs up barnett; whom I will agree came back Very good from his ACL tear.
- Barnett makes alot more money then bishop
- even thou bishop is probably a better rusher (the word probably is used because he hasnt gotten enough playing time to determine this in regular season) - preseason definately. But barnett appears to have better coverage skills.

"Dulak" wrote:

Thanks for a reasonable answer and not an attack...

I honestly disagree with the money argument because if a guy isn't earning his money and you got someone better just cut them... and in the past people would say but that takes a hit on the cap... well that shouldn't of matter and this year it won't... because their is no cap and so start the best guys....

The rest I'll agree with other than your could argue about the rusher part... I think it depends what they're up again... if you physical have to move someone out of the way I would think Bishop better than Barnett there but I think Barnett might be better if he just has to speed past someone... but it does seem Bishop is more used to blitzing...

Also Hawk and Chillar also beat out Bishop...
UserPostedImage
14 years ago
To anyone who is convinced that Bishop is not seeing time because Hawk and Barnett are highly paid first rounders-

He's also not even the first one off the bench. Brandon Chillar is, and he was a mid-level free agent. Your conspiracy theory just doesn't hold water.
Stevetarded
14 years ago

"beast" wrote:

BS

"Stevetarded" wrote:

"beast" wrote:

If he "gives up more plays than he makes" I doubt he would even be on the freakin roster. Your comment is the only one that was stupid.

I'm not saying he's the best LB on the team or anything I am just sick of these absurd comments all the time about how he is Jarrett Bush the LB out there. It's ridiculous. The dude can play ball and honestly outside of Barnett I don't see a big difference in playing ability between any of our other ILBs.
blank
Dulak
14 years ago
Ive been watching our LBers quite keenly these past couple years and this is my take on all of ours ...

1. Barnett - got the most time on the field; got the most tackles preinjury and read plays well; although wasnt the best rusher. Remember when he got injured and I still defended this dude and most people on this board said he sucked ... anyways I was even skeptical he wouldnt be able to come back this strong from a ACL tear. He did quite well IMO this year ie better then I expected.

2. Hawk - not great with his coverage skills ie average or below IMO (ya I know he got that one INT) but I remember so many plays last year where the receivers walked all over him. Not the best rusher and a decent tackler - Ill give him that.
Least he's always out there and hasnt been banged up.
Still costs us alot of $ thou

3. Chillar - was touted as our best coverage LBer and I really liked him in 08. He was aggressive and punishing. Decent on the blitz's
But WRs and good QBs took him to town and perhaps this is why he got alot less playing time later in the season. We all remember the MN game.

4. Bishop - has toped the charts in both 08 and 09 preseason tackles; had some sacks and or ints also (dont know exact figure). Best blitz ILB we have. Coverage skills could be lacking since I dont remember him covering much. Perhaps he had some issues with a rb pick up if he commited to the inside and the runner went to the outside (I think I remember a play like this - IMO who wouldnt have issues with this).

And to top is off from what I have seen is that bishop backs up barnett and chillar hawk.

Barnett is one of the team leaders and used to be the MLB; ie does he still wear the helmet? ...

oh btw bishop is one of our better STers; hes on alot of tackles.

So will we ever see bishop on the field for a decent amount of time? ... I know I would like to see him as a fan; heck those cross-over blitzes capers run Id like to see barnett and bishop go in charging.
beast
14 years ago

"Stevetarded" wrote:

BS

"beast" wrote:

"Stevetarded" wrote:

If he "gives up more plays than he makes" I doubt he would even be on the freakin roster. Your comment is the only one that was stupid.

I'm not saying he's the best LB on the team or anything I am just sick of these absurd comments all the time about how he is Jarrett Bush the LB out there. It's ridiculous. The dude can play ball and honestly outside of Barnett I don't see a big difference in playing ability between any of our other ILBs.

"beast" wrote:

That commit isn't stupid it's true... watch him if he gets in... like when he was playing the Vikings a couple of years ago... he caused a fumble... but he also gave up a TD and a 30 yarder...

I never said he's Bush... Bush gives up plays... Bishop makes plays but also gives them up and so far his giving more up than he's making...

Bishop doesn't have the speed the other LBers do nor is he consistent... Hawk is more physical, faster and better in coverage but doesn't make big plays (like Bishop does) but doesn't give up nearly as many ether...

Chillar makes and gives up plays but he's faster can cover and I think he could very well blitz from the outside...

Bishop as of last year was the 4th best ILB...
UserPostedImage
Stevetarded
14 years ago

"beast" wrote:

BS

"Stevetarded" wrote:

"beast" wrote:

"Stevetarded" wrote:

That commit isn't stupid it's true... watch him if he gets in... like when he was playing the Vikings a couple of years ago... he caused a fumble... but he also gave up a TD and a 30 yarder...

I never said he's Bush... Bush gives up plays... Bishop makes plays but also gives them up and so far his giving more up than he's making...

Bishop doesn't have the speed the other LBers do nor is he consistent... Hawk is more physical, faster and better in coverage but doesn't make big plays (like Bishop does) but doesn't give up nearly as many ether...

Chillar makes and gives up plays but he's faster can cover and I think he could very well blitz from the outside...

Bishop as of last year was the 4th best ILB...

"beast" wrote:

I have watched him and I've not seen him play as badly as some want it to seem like. I think some folks are way over exaggerating his mistakes. I also don't buy the whole him being slow thing, he wouldn't be as good as he is on special teams if he were that slow.
blank
Fan Shout
Martha Careful (50m) : Flag?
Martha Careful (51m) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (1h) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (17h) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (17h) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (17h) : fuck
beast (18h) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (18h) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (18h) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (18h) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (19h) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (19h) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (19h) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (19h) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (19h) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (20h) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (21h) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (21h) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (21h) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (21h) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
wpr (23-Apr) : Just about time to watch Sonny Weaver stick it to the seahags. I never get tired of it.
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : *game plan
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : IMHO, not even close. He is not a guy you game play around.
Mucky Tundra (23-Apr) : is Aiyuk worth a 1st rounder?
Zero2Cool (23-Apr) : 49ers are seeking a 1st round pick in exchange for WR Brandon Aiyuk
Mucky Tundra (22-Apr) : Based on Gutes comments, now I don't feel as silly having 13 picks in my mock the other day
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Zach Wilson to Broncos.
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Gutekunst says he'd love to have 13 or 14 picks. He's trading back huh lol
beast (22-Apr) : Someday we'll have a draft betting scandal
beast (21-Apr) : Sometimes looking extremely amazing, sometimes looking extremely lost
beast (21-Apr) : I haven't looked into the QBs, but some have suggested Maye has some of the most extremely inconsistent tape they've seen
beast (21-Apr) : Well it also sounds like Patriots are listening to trade offers, not that seriously considering any, but listening means they aren't locked
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Maye needs to be AFC
Mucky Tundra (21-Apr) : Not liking the idea of the Vikings getting Maye
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Vikings HC joked that he may or may not have sent flowers to Bob Kraft. That's where rumor came from.
beast (21-Apr) : Can't tell if this is real or BS, but some rumors about a possible Patriots/Vikings trade for #3 overall
dfosterf (21-Apr) : One playbook to my knowledge. I was shooting for facetious.
beast (20-Apr) : I'm not sure they have different playbooks for different OL positions, and Dillard run blocking is supposedly worse than his pass blocking..
dfosterf (19-Apr) : The only problem with that is he isn't a guard either.
dfosterf (19-Apr) : Put him at right guard. That is where he will be coached. That is where he will compete. He is not even allowed to look at the LT playbook.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Kidding aside, I hope the best for him.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
6m / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

7m / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

52m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Nonstopdrivel

18h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

25-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

25-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

24-Apr / Random Babble / beast

22-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

21-Apr / Fantasy Sports Talk / dfosterf

19-Apr / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.