Zero2Cool
14 years ago

The following is the analysis of the Packers' 34-12 victory over the Detroit Lions at Ford Field and his look at the rest of Green Bay's season. 

Q: Lets take a quick look back at the Detroit victory and the significance of that game. Its both true that the Packers accomplished something in winning three games in 12 days and that the Lions are not a very good football team. So what is to be learned from that game? Remember, they beat Detroit and Cleveland in consecutive games and then got whipped at home by Minnesota.

A: This Detroit game was bigger than people think. You have four Pro Bowl players on defense and two of them were out. If you had Al Harris and Aaron Kampman, then, yeah, you beat a team youre supposed to beat. But after the Tampa Bay game, you cant say that anymore. You have to win the games youre supposed to win. This game was a little different because you had some inexperienced guys playing like Jarrett Bush and Brad Jones. To me, the Packers did what they had to do. They went in and dominated. Matthew Stafford was coming off 400 yards and five touchdowns, but it seemed a little disrespectful to the Packers to play a guy with an injured shoulder. They should have played the healthier guy. I think you saw a little chip on the Packers shoulder because of it. Either way, you have to put it into perspective. These are important victories now. Youre 7-4 and winning three games in a row is very good. The future is bright and theyre in the drivers seat for the fifth playoff spot. Whats going to help the Packers is that no other team in the NFC is hot right now other than New Orleans and Minnesota. Thats why this game against Detroit was big. They were very prepared and ready to play. Now they have to come back healthy and face a Baltimore team that got beat up by Pittsburgh and win that game.

Q: Its apparent Charles Woodson is playing on a different plane than most anybody he faces these days. Its obvious hes in line for NFC defensive player of the year, but is it legitimate to start thinking he could be in the running for NFL most valuable player? The last defensive player to earn that award was Lawrence Taylor in 1986.

A: You have to have just a great year to overtake a running back or quarterback as MVP. But it was the same thing with the Heisman Trophy. This guy won a Heisman Trophy. Defensive players just dont win that award. So if there is anybody who could win the MVP, its Charles Woodson. He will get votes. I think its hands down right now, him and Darren Sharper, for defensive player of the year. Consider this: Woodson was on a 6-10 team last year, playing on a defense that was rated very high. Now hes on the top-rated defense in the NFL. And you dont have your other top cornerback, Al Harris, and hes still dominating the game. Whenever hes close to the line of scrimmage, hes dominating. Wherever you put him, he makes plays. Not only that, where would the Packers be without him? Thats how you rate an MVP. How good would they be without him? Take Brett Favre away from Minnesota and they wouldnt be where they are. MVP candidate. Take Peyton Manning from Indianapolis and they wouldnt be undefeated. You look at Drew Brees. Without him, New Orleans wouldnt be undefeated. With Charles Woodson, the Packers wouldnt be 7-4. So is he an MVP candidate, of course he is.

Q: What role do you see the defensive line playing in making up for the loss of Kampman and Harris? It seems since Cullen Jenkins bought into the system and B.J. Raji started to play better, theyve been the cornerstone of the defense. Is that true?

A: Absolutely. I think the emergence of Raji the last three weeks has been very good. Jenkins, to me, will get some Pro Bowl votes. Johnny Jolly has probably been the steadiest lineman the last couple years. Not only are these guys making the linebackers better, but youre beginning to see that the only thing that could really hurt the Packers is not having Al Harris. You have a lot of special teams guys playing in the secondary. You have a rookie at outside linebacker, but he plays with a lot of energy. I think with all the young guys theyre using, theres more energy out there. I think this defense understands now that theres no turning back, theyre going to be aggressive, aggressive, aggressive. Theyre saying, Youre going to have to find the weakness, were not going to show it to you. Early on, the Packers were basically showing their weakness. Now quarterbacks have to find it. And if you dont, youre going to get sacked or intercepted or there will be a big play. Now you have to make sure you keep the integrity of the defense. If you have a man-to-man assignment, play it. If you have a chance for an interception, catch it. I think these young guys will continue to grow. Theres a difference in the meeting room and they dont call your name, theyre not talking to you. But now youre in that meeting room and theyre calling your name and putting your number up on the board. Now these guys understand that the only way the Packers are going to make the playoffs is if they do their job.

Q: Youve been in cornerback Jarrett Bushs corner when other people have wanted him to be on the bench. You saw in certain situations against Detroit he had good coverage and in other situations he couldnt make a play on the ball. Is it possible hell get better at ball awareness or is that an innate ability you cant teach?

A: The reason why Im going to give him a pass on those is that he hasnt done it. Hes a special teamer. He was signed to be a special teamer. They didnt sign him to be a third or fourth corner. Hes an emergency corner. So you have to give him time to develop. Now he has ball skills, but not to the level of a guy like Al. Now what he can do, is wherever Woodson goes, he should collide with him. In other words, he should follow Woodson all over the building and try to find out how you become a ball hawk. What do you do? How do I watch film? How do I get myself in position to catch balls? How do I get in position to defend? For instance, if I cant touch the receiver I dont look at the ball. Things of that nature will put you one step closer to an interception. Theyre going to have to give him time to develop. Hes going to have to work on ball skills, ball skills, ball skills, because 30% of the balls are going to go in his and Brandon Underwoods area. Theyre not going to throw at Woodson anymore. Theyre not going to do it. These guys have a chance to make a name for themselves or they can be the Achilles heel. Its their choice.

Q: The Packers have had to fight like crazy to get back into the wild-card race, and now they have five games left. How much do you think its taken out of them to get back and what do you see ahead for them the rest of the season?

A: This is what I see. I see the Packers being hot. I see a Baltimore team that is beat up and not playing to its potential. I see a Pittsburgh team that has a lot of injuries and is not playing to its potential. I see a team like Arizona that doesnt play well at home. The Packers are in position to win out. Realistically, they can get to 10 or 11 wins and be in a comfortable position. I think theyre hot right now. You have to ride that. You have to get in position to not make mistakes. In other words, people have been screaming for the offensive line to play well and theyve been doing that. Weve been screaming at them for the penalties to come down and theyve been steadily coming down. Now its all in front of them. As long as you have a quarterback like Aaron Rodgers, youre going to be in games. Hes a top three quarterback, whether people want to accept that or not. Maybe hell be the top quarterback statistically. This is a hot team. Packers fans should be very, very excited.

UserPostedImage
Yerko
14 years ago

This is a hot team. Packers fans should be very, very excited.

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

You are damn right I am very, very excited LeRoy and I agree that if we do ride this hot streak we can win out.

Baltimore- Ray Rice. That is really all the Packers need to be worried about.

Bears- In a very deep hole (and Mr. Butler didn't even bother mentioning them). Play well against the Packers when Lovie realizes this is all they have to fall back on. I still think the hole is too deep.

Pittsburgh- Underachieved this season so far. Hines Ward remarks toward Fat Ben can be taken into consideration that this team is falling apart slowly.

Seahawks- Good thing it is not at Seattle. I think an easy win.

Cardinals- With Kurt Warner out, this team doesn't stand much of a chance as they could never finish with him in the game.

Any given Sunday though. Packers are a strong team and have some good vets to lead this team in the right direction.
UserPostedImage
zombieslayer
14 years ago
Several things I love about Butler interviews:
1) He's brutally honest and says what needs to be said,
2) the questions are always good. Whomever is doing the questions knows how to ask them. These aren't Larry King questions, they're real.

Now on to what he said. I can't put Aaron at #3 right now. I got him at #5 and maybe #4 after Brady got his ass kicked last night. OK, #4, but not #3.

I love Woody too, but the odds of him getting an MVP are very low, considering the prejudices against defensive players. LT the last defensive player to get an MVP back in '86? That goes to show how prejudiced the MVP award is. This year, even if Chris Johnson breaks the rushing record, it's still going to a QB.

That all said, I could see us winning out. Not betting on it, but I can see it happening.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
Yerko
14 years ago
The only bad thing I can see about winning out Zombie is playing Pittsburgh at home. They are falling to pieces slowly but still have some play makers. Unfortunately, having home field advantage could help them.
UserPostedImage
Greg C.
14 years ago

Pittsburgh- Underachieved this season so far. Hines Ward remarks toward Fat Ben can be taken into consideration that this team is falling apart slowly.

"AKamp74" wrote:

I read about this, and I don't understand what all the fuss was about. The team's doctors held Roethlisberger out of the game. I don't see how that reflects on Roethlisberger. Obviously Ward and his teammates were frustrated not having their starting QB for such a big game. I don't think the Steelers are falling apart at all. They are still an elite team when Polamalu is healthy.
blank
Zero2Cool
14 years ago

"Greg C." wrote:

I read about this, and I don't understand what all the fuss was about. The team's doctors held Roethlisberger out of the game. I don't see how that reflects on Roethlisberger. Obviously Ward and his teammates were frustrated not having their starting QB for such a big game. I don't think the Steelers are falling apart at all. They are still an elite team when Polamalu is healthy.

"AKamp74" wrote:

I'm not saying I agree with this, but the thought is Ben should have lied to the doctors so they wouldn't hold him out. Hines said he's done that a time or two.
UserPostedImage
Dulak
14 years ago

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

"Greg C." wrote:

I'm not saying I agree with this, but the thought is Ben should have lied to the doctors so they wouldn't hold him out. Hines said he's done that a time or two.

"AKamp74" wrote:

I like your new sig zero
Zero2Cool
14 years ago
Thank you. I didn't think anyone was going to notice. 🙂 (still needs work, but I was tired and had to sleep last night)
UserPostedImage
buckeyepackfan
14 years ago
Love LeRoy's comments about Bush.

Had to laugh picturing Bush following Woody around, made me think of that really old cartoon of the little yippy dog following around the bulldog"spike".(those of you under 40 may not know what I am talking about.)

LeRoy gives Bush a pass until now...as he said JB was signed to be a ST player..and an emrgency backup...but now he has his chance to show everyone that he can be the nickel DB.

I know Bush is probably the most hated Packer on this forum, but he showed last week he could cover, hopefully now that he knows his role has been expanded, he can step up and at the least be a solid performer who doesn't give up the big play, and when he gets his chance, instead of just knocking down a ball, he makes the big interception.

Like it or not Jarret Bush has become a very important piece of the defense for the rest of the year...IMHO he will step up and fill the role he has been given.
I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
Yerko
14 years ago

"Greg C." wrote:

"AKamp74" wrote:

Yes, they are an elite team. They are not completely falling apart but when you have one of the veteran leaders calling out another towards the media, poop hits the fan.

Some players can possibly be blaming Fat Ben for the loss against the Ravens even though I think Dixon did an above average job for his first start ever in the NFL against a rival.

Its behind the scenes what is interesting and what we will never know.

I also thought that the doctors had cleared him to play but he was complaining still and that is where Ward started saying what he said?
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
dfosterf (9h) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (9h) : Yes
Zero2Cool (10h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (12h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (13h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (16h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (17h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (28-Mar) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
4h / Around The NFL / beast

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.