Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
14 years ago

To Wade-- I spent a Christmas on the Riv.<--- not hob-knobbin' --jarheadin'

Female hairy armpit epicenter of the planet.

I have been all through France, and we know about that reputation, but I'm tellin' ya-- It is those Monte Carlo / Monaco / Nice corridor hairy armpit girls that did the whole country in, reputation-wise... I'm just sayin' lol

"dfosterf" wrote:

Gee, foster. Do you have to ruin all my James Bond- and teenage-drooling-over-Princess-Caroline fantasies? :)

Besides, who said the girls on my yacht had to be French?
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
dfosterf
14 years ago
...Made me wear a tie over a t shirt (Picture how ridiculous that is) and let 4 french girls in with sleeveless tank-tops with underarm hair sproutin' every- witcha-way. They didn't smell so good, either, as I recall.

Wade. James Wade.

lol
doddpower
14 years ago

I've a question for all you parents out there.

Do kids still play baseball/softball as much as they did when you were kids?

Here's why I ask: I'm with everyone else in hoping that the NFL never goes the way of MLB. I barely notice MLB anymore, and I used to know every player on every roster in the NL West between the days of Koufax/Drysdale and Sutton/Hershiser. And I can see myself doing the same with regard to the Packers did the NFL go that direction. I could care less about the Dodgers now. I could care less about the world series or batting averages or steroids or mvps or any of the rest. I could care less which MLB franchises are economically sound and which are on the brink of bankruptcy. I just care less.

If the NFL goes that way, I'll be pissed. But I'll find other things to do on Sunday afternoons in November just as I've found other thigns to do on Saturday afternoons in July. I'll be nostalgic, but I'll get over it.

On the other hand, I do care whether kids are still playing football on sandlots and in town parks. Not the kind of organized football with screaming parents and neat chalk lines, but the kinds of pickup games we used to play using wadded up jackets to show sidelines and endzones.

Just as I care about whether kids are still playing unorganized baseball out there on streets or in those same parks.

Hence my question: Has the decline in the value of MLB been accompanied by a falloff in kids playing baseball and softball? If the NFL fucks itself up, will that reduce how much kids play pickup games of football?

"Wade" wrote:

I umpire little league baseball and softball and I can assure you that it's still a BIG deal. Hundreds of people gather multiple times a week to play games, and that's just one out of multiple leagues all across town. As far as the middle school age and younger, I don't think there's any decrease in little league / babe ruth participation.
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
14 years ago

IMO: Job 1 of Packers and its "ownership": put together a consistent championship contender for the millions of Packer fans out there. Not to provide "affordable outdoor entertainment" for 70 thousand or so attendees at 8-10 games/year. If being a championship contender requires competing with those deep pocket owners, it makes no sense to me that the team is leaving all that revenue unrealized.

Consider a ten-buck increase per ticket. $10 x 72,500 seats x 8 games. That's a cool $5.8 million bucks per year foregone. A twenty-buck increase is 11.6 million missed.

If I were a rich bastard owner (see Jones, Jerry; Snyder, Dan; et al), I'd object the heck out of "sharing revenue" with people who leave 5.8 - 11.6 million unrealized every year.

And if I were a public funding agency (ack, choke, vomit), I'd sure as heck not be paying public funds to enterprises that are squandering multi-million dollar opporutunities every year.

Oh, it's nice to brag about all those years of sellouts and a zillion-person waiting list. But it's damn bad economics. Having a waiting list makes sense -- it's a cushion against downturns, bad seasons,etc. But a waiting list that takes a generation or more to move to the top of the list? That's just dumb.

p.s. Nice butts, wpr.

"Wade" wrote:

Wade you have miscalculated. GB requires season ticket holders to pay full price for the preseason games as well. One game for Green package and one game for the Gold package. It doesn't matter to them that the game is more of a minor league game than a real NFL game. It costs the same.

"wpr" wrote:

Ah. But that means they (the Packers) are leaving more money on the table, not less, doesn't it?

"Wade" wrote:

Yep. I just said your numbers were wrong.
Oh by the way- :pottytrain1:
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
14 years ago

Here's why I ask: I'm with everyone else in hoping that the NFL never goes the way of MLB. I barely notice MLB anymore, and I used to know every player on every roster in the NL West between the days of Koufax/Drysdale and Sutton/Hershiser. And I can see myself doing the same with regard to the Packers did the NFL go that direction. I could care less about the Dodgers now. I could care less about the world series or batting averages or steroids or mvps or any of the rest. I could care less which MLB franchises are economically sound and which are on the brink of bankruptcy. I just care less.

If the NFL goes that way, I'll be pissed. But I'll find other things to do on Sunday afternoons in November just as I've found other thigns to do on Saturday afternoons in July. I'll be nostalgic, but I'll get over it.

On the other hand, I do care whether kids are still playing football on sandlots and in town parks. Not the kind of organized football with screaming parents and neat chalk lines, but the kinds of pickup games we used to play using wadded up jackets to show sidelines and endzones.

Just as I care about whether kids are still playing unorganized baseball out there on streets or in those same parks.

Hence my question: Has the decline in the value of MLB been accompanied by a falloff in kids playing baseball and softball? If the NFL fucks itself up, will that reduce how much kids play pickup games of football?

"Wade" wrote:

Your plan would ruin football. GB tries to remain the upper middle of ticket prices. Last year was one of the very few times in the past ten years that they have not had a price increase. (Something to do with the economy. I dunno why. :shrug: )
IF they raised prices $20 a ticket I just might have to let mine go. Which is of course what you want. I am not loaded. I did not inherit mine from someone else. I signed up when I was 18 and waited more than 20 years. Without the additional seats I would still be on the list. When I signed up the team was terrible.
As of now I not only pay for the tickets there meals, gas, motel rooms and so on. Before I release the tickets I would cut out all the extras which would hurt the GB area economy. Then I would sell the tickets online and I would make money off someone else. That is going to mean more fans of the other teams sitting in the stadium.

The Packers don't have to suck every single nickle out of their fans to field a winning team. Greed would ruin the sport. Eventually I will just walk away from the sport like you did baseball as would other fans. So much for building a team via greed.
UserPostedImage
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
14 years ago

"wpr" wrote:

Your plan would ruin football. GB tries to remain the upper middle of ticket prices. Last year was one of the very few times in the past ten years that they have not had a price increase. (Something to do with the economy. I dunno why. :shrug: )
IF they raised prices $20 a ticket I just might have to let mine go. Which is of course what you want. I am not loaded. I did not inherit mine from someone else. I signed up when I was 18 and waited more than 20 years. Without the additional seats I would still be on the list. When I signed up the team was terrible.
As of now I not only pay for the tickets there meals, gas, motel rooms and so on. Before I release the tickets I would cut out all the extras which would hurt the GB area economy. Then I would sell the tickets online and I would make money off someone else. That is going to mean more fans of the other teams sitting in the stadium.

The Packers don't have to suck every single nickle out of their fans to field a winning team. Greed would ruin the sport. Eventually I will just walk away from the sport like you did baseball as would other fans. So much for building a team via greed.

"Wade" wrote:

Well, there's a reason economists are right [strike]up[/strike] down there with lawyers when it comes to public approval ratings.

And, of course, I'm trained as both, which makes me doubly damned.

😎
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
porky88
14 years ago

Jolly is an RFA, assuming there is no cap. Packers can tender him at the highest level and there is no way a team will give, I believe, a first and a third for him.

With Pickett, I'd strongly consider using the franchise tag on him over Aaron Kampman.

"Rockmolder" wrote:

I was just going to say, if we have these guys' contracts running out (Kamp, Collins, Pickett, Jolly) is there anyway we could sign and keep all of 'em them under the cap? Then, that comment made me realize that football might not ever be the same.

Back to the subject, Pickett is definitely an integral part in our D, but I think that Raji could do a good job taking over that role. However, Raji is not staying healthy, so I still side with re-signing Pickett.

Then I say let go of Jolly and put Kampman back where he belongs :thumbright:

"porky88" wrote:

The difference is Kampman will likely not sign a contract with the Packers until he tests the open market. The Packers could offer him a two year deal with incentives, but I'm not sure he takes that. That's why you consider the franchise tag on him, but then you risk losing Pickett who may not resign either as he's set to be a free agent after likely the best season of his career.

Jolly, can be tendered because he's a restricted free agent. Either way, it makes sense to tender Jolly regardless of whether or not you bring Kampman or Pickett or even both of them back. He'll likely come at a reasonable price.

"coltonja" wrote:

What cap, though? I doubt that there'll be a new CBA by next year. WE won't have a salary cap.

And we can use two tags now, right? I know, we can get screwed over quite badly if we get some kind of Hutchinson-poison pill contract, but I think we'd just have to try that one on Kampman, if Pickett won't just resign.

That said, I've been thinking about what we have to do with Kampman. I don't want him back as an OLB, but he's too valuable to just let go....

Maybe we can try getting him back to the DE, position, again. Now, I know that he's too light etc., but hear me out. Kampman was 275 when playing DE. That's light for a 3-4 lineman, but a very good starting point. He's shown that he could easily shed some weigth, by going to 260/265 when playing OLB. In college, he was 282.

Now, I was thinking that he might be able to gain some bulk, get it up to 290 or something. Maybe 285 might even do it, that'd make him as big as Brett Keisel, for instance, who's been a pretty darn good player for the Steelers.

Aaron can obviously hold his point, stop the run and get to the passer. Something Capers looks for in his D-linemen and makes his scheme somewhat unique. I'd love to see them try this.

If it's healthy for Kampy, of course.

"porky88" wrote:

You get to use both your franchise tag and transition tag (or two transitions) this off-season because there is no cap. I think it's safe to say Jolly will be back because without a cap, Jolly is a restricted free agent. He's out of the equation. Pickett, however, is an unrestricted free agent regardless as is Kampman.

You use the franchise tag on the more important player which IMO is Pickett because of the 3-4 defense. Going into the year, it was Kampman no questions ask, but Pickett's play this year has been more vital to the defenses' success than Kampman.

Kampman, as a five technique just probably won't work. Again, it'll be him changing positions. Now, he'll basically be a tackle versus a defensive end. You also limit his pass rush abilities. He won't get ten sacks at a five. He'll probably have a similar season that he's having this year. It's a tough call. I think use him in a nickel or dime role and just let him rush the passer as much as possible, but on running downs, he's not going to excel on the defensive line.

I would consider the transition tag on Kampman which I believe allows the Packers to match an offer, but in an uncapped year, a team with a lot of money could make it too ridiculous for the Packers to match. Like you said, a poison pill.

I think Pickett has played his way into the franchise role. I just don't want to risk losing him. IMO, I'd let Kampman walk before him.
PackFanWithTwins
14 years ago
IMO it is going to be tough to keep them both. I would have to go with Jolly over Pickett. Both are playing pretty damn good. Both have a player that could fill in for them in Raji. Raji can play the DE, or NT position so either vacancy would be filled.

The reason I would go with Jolly is because both Jolly and Raji can play NT if needed. I don't see Pickett realistically at DE in the 3-4. so if an injury happened to which ever we keep, we are covered better with Jolly and Raji over Pickett and Raji.
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
bozz_2006
14 years ago
I think the Packers need to make every effort to re-sign them both. it won't be easy. it will mean that there will be other players we may not be able to re-sign, but I think Jolly and Pickett (and Collins) need to be retained (almost) no matter what. Tough situation.

I am one that believes there will be a new CBA in place in time for next season. That's just a personal feeling. If so, it makes the situation even more difficult. I don't know what's better;
A) no new CBA, meaning Collins and Jolly will be only RFA

or

B) new CBA, meaning Collins and Jolly will be UFA.

Either way, we need to re-sign all three
UserPostedImage
British
14 years ago
It seems pretty straightforward to me.

If there's no cap then keeping free agents looks easy. Most of our free agents will become RFA(Collins, Jolly, Spitz, Colledge etc) and they don't go anywhere if we don't want them to.

It then leaves relatively few UFAs to deal with and two tags. We could franchise Pickett, which would give us another year of him at his peak and then use the transition tag on someone else, possibly Kampman who may or may not get a lot of interest depending on his recovery.

I'd love to see us work out a deal with Chillar but he'll probably get better offers elsewhere.

If there is a new cap then we have some problems, our list of UFAs is much more, we probably only have 1 tag and we have to cram everyone under the cap, which won't be possible.

If that happens we have some tough calls to make and one of Jolly and Pickett may have to go to make room for Collins and Tramon's new deals.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Mucky Tundra (17h) : Based on Gutes comments, now I don't feel as silly having 13 picks in my mock the other day
Zero2Cool (18h) : Zach Wilson to Broncos.
Zero2Cool (20h) : Gutekunst says he'd love to have 13 or 14 picks. He's trading back huh lol
beast (22h) : Someday we'll have a draft betting scandal
beast (21-Apr) : Sometimes looking extremely amazing, sometimes looking extremely lost
beast (21-Apr) : I haven't looked into the QBs, but some have suggested Maye has some of the most extremely inconsistent tape they've seen
beast (21-Apr) : Well it also sounds like Patriots are listening to trade offers, not that seriously considering any, but listening means they aren't locked
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Maye needs to be AFC
Mucky Tundra (21-Apr) : Not liking the idea of the Vikings getting Maye
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Vikings HC joked that he may or may not have sent flowers to Bob Kraft. That's where rumor came from.
beast (21-Apr) : Can't tell if this is real or BS, but some rumors about a possible Patriots/Vikings trade for #3 overall
dfosterf (21-Apr) : One playbook to my knowledge. I was shooting for facetious.
beast (20-Apr) : I'm not sure they have different playbooks for different OL positions, and Dillard run blocking is supposedly worse than his pass blocking..
dfosterf (19-Apr) : The only problem with that is he isn't a guard either.
dfosterf (19-Apr) : Put him at right guard. That is where he will be coached. That is where he will compete. He is not even allowed to look at the LT playbook.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Kidding aside, I hope the best for him.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Went to a Titans board. One comment there. Not very long. I quote: "LOL" They don't sound overly upset about our aquisition.
beast (18-Apr) : OT Dillard has been absolutely horrible... like OG Newman levels
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Suit him up and have him stand in front of the big board as a draft day cautionary tale.
Zero2Cool (18-Apr) : Packers sign T Andre Dillard.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#×k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

22-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

21-Apr / Fantasy Sports Talk / dfosterf

21-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

19-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

19-Apr / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16-Apr / Random Babble / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.