evad04
14 years ago

McCarthy isn't going anywhere after this year and he's well on his way to his 2nd winning season in three years and he's only had one losing season. He's been a decent coach and I would say get use to him or root for the Packers to lose the rest of their games this year and hope that carries over next year.

There is something to be said about whether or not he's a coach that can win a Super Bowl, but that's a matter of perspective. Brian Billick doesn't exactly spell out great Super Bowl coach too me, but the Ravens won it all. It's all about getting hot at the right time.

Jeff Fisher is a great coach and has never won a Super Bowl, so there are a lot of variables here.

It seems like it's either win a Super Bowl or you're fired. It's got to be a win now type of a deal too. Had the Bengals taken that approach with Marvin Lewis, who knows where they are right now.

McCarthy is only in his fourth season as a head coach and he has a lot to learn. For the first time in his tenure, I think he's actually learning as a coach. He's by no means perfect nor above criticism, but timing is everything and now is not the time to bring up his dismissal. It's hard to win in the NFL and coaches never change.

He's adjusted the offense. He's staying with the run more and he's gone to a short quick passing game that sets up the run. I think he deserves credit for that.

Capers has failed as a head coach. He was terrible in Houston and went downhill in Carolina after a promising start. Capers should stay where he is.

"porky88" wrote:

+1

Why? Because I agree with everything in this post. Dear God, why am I still awake at 3:52 in the morning?
William Henderson didn't have to run people over. His preferred method was levitation.
"I'm a reasonable man, get off my case."
dfosterf
14 years ago
I usually try and wait until we lose before I call for Mike's head on a stick, and it is usually a fleeting sentiment, my personal record being about a week after the Tampa game. Most of the time it's a 24-48 hour cycle, having one hell of a lot more to do with me than Mike.

My only running criticism/ WTF? of Mike speech has to do with his speech. I enjoy the hell out of criticizing his complete butchery of English during his pressers.

...And even that criticism is merely aimed at directing my fellow reader to the "Fred Flintstone-like" way he talks.

There is so much grist for the humor-mill that I don't know what I would do the day after a game without it. Let me give you one small example from Monday's post game transcript...

Press:
"Flynn dropped the snap on the field goal. Should Mason have made that one?"

Mike:
"Well, I can't answer that right now without seeing it. I saw it live."

You can't get shit like that anywhere but Green Bay, and I'd bet half of you think I'm making this shit up as I go, lol. That alone is worth the price of a ticket, imo.

I just wish in lieu of the goofy injury report (Player "x" has a kneee), followed by the why he is throwing his red flag all over the stadium speech, followed by the invariable didn't see any of the game because it isn't on film story....just once... Walk on the podium (after a win), and simply say:

"Yabba Dabba Doo" and roll out, George Costanza-like. :thumbleft:

:thumbleft:
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
14 years ago

Dear God, why am I still awake at 3:52 in the morning?

"evad04" wrote:

Eagerly anticipating some snow shovelling?

:)
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
DakotaT
14 years ago
Some guys are not thinkers on their feet, if they would they might able to be attorneys in a court room.

McCarthey can come up with a game plan but has the charisma of a first year inteverted Speech student. What would make McCarthey a better coach would be the ability to make changes on the fly or from the hip.

What compounds the problem in GB is the great speaker Uncle Ted. I think we ought to hire someone exciteable like Jim Mora SR to do all the press conferences, then maybe we could get some information.
UserPostedImage
WhiskeySam
14 years ago

Some guys are not thinkers on their feet, if they would they might able to be attorneys in a court room.

McCarthey can come up with a game plan but has the charisma of a first year inteverted Speech student. What would make McCarthey a better coach would be the ability to make changes on the fly or from the hip.

What compounds the problem in GB is the great speaker Uncle Ted. I think we ought to hire someone exciteable like Jim Mora SR to do all the press conferences, then maybe we could get some information.

"DakotaT" wrote:

My dream PR duo would have been Jim Mora Sr and John McKay. Interviews were never dull when they were coaching.
Nemo me impune lacessit
14 years ago
I was listening to Boston sports radio, and they were ripping into Belichick for the same reason a few GB fans rip into McCarthy. "We will address that problem and get it fixed." I just found it funny. I hope those of you who can't stand that feel a little better that you're not the only fan base dealing with it right now.
UserPostedImage
warhawk
14 years ago
The bottom line is we are 8-4. Now last year all the McCarthy-needs-to-go people didn't want to hear about HOW we lost games or that we were in position to win a whole lot more games it was all about 6-10. Nothing else matters was all I heard.

Now were 8-4 and the McCarthy naysayers are coming up with this "yeah, but we have all this repetitive stuff that happens" crap so McCarthy should go.

Why are there caveats now concerning his job when they are not only winning but winning at the right time of the year and playing at a level with the upper echelon of teams in the league?

If it's all about the SB then I can tell you this if we fire coaches who get to 10-6 and make the playoffs it will be a lot longer before we see it than if we just stay with the guy we got. New HC's mean other new coaches and new philosophies and new technigues. The odds of success with much change are less than just going in and tweaking what we are doing and making sure we have the personnel to not start out like we did this year.

Besides, if we get to 10-6 and get in the guy isn't going anywhere. They only hope for anyone wishing this would be a collapse from here on in which is completely contrary to the way they are currently playing and I don't think anyone here wishes for that anyhow.
"The train is leaving the station."
Fan Shout
wpr (1h) : Just about time to watch Sonny Weaver stick it to the seahags. I never get tired of it.
Martha Careful (1h) : *game plan
Martha Careful (2h) : IMHO, not even close. He is not a guy you game play around.
Mucky Tundra (4h) : is Aiyuk worth a 1st rounder?
Zero2Cool (5h) : 49ers are seeking a 1st round pick in exchange for WR Brandon Aiyuk
Mucky Tundra (22-Apr) : Based on Gutes comments, now I don't feel as silly having 13 picks in my mock the other day
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Zach Wilson to Broncos.
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Gutekunst says he'd love to have 13 or 14 picks. He's trading back huh lol
beast (22-Apr) : Someday we'll have a draft betting scandal
beast (21-Apr) : Sometimes looking extremely amazing, sometimes looking extremely lost
beast (21-Apr) : I haven't looked into the QBs, but some have suggested Maye has some of the most extremely inconsistent tape they've seen
beast (21-Apr) : Well it also sounds like Patriots are listening to trade offers, not that seriously considering any, but listening means they aren't locked
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Maye needs to be AFC
Mucky Tundra (21-Apr) : Not liking the idea of the Vikings getting Maye
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Vikings HC joked that he may or may not have sent flowers to Bob Kraft. That's where rumor came from.
beast (21-Apr) : Can't tell if this is real or BS, but some rumors about a possible Patriots/Vikings trade for #3 overall
dfosterf (21-Apr) : One playbook to my knowledge. I was shooting for facetious.
beast (20-Apr) : I'm not sure they have different playbooks for different OL positions, and Dillard run blocking is supposedly worse than his pass blocking..
dfosterf (19-Apr) : The only problem with that is he isn't a guard either.
dfosterf (19-Apr) : Put him at right guard. That is where he will be coached. That is where he will compete. He is not even allowed to look at the LT playbook.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Kidding aside, I hope the best for him.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Went to a Titans board. One comment there. Not very long. I quote: "LOL" They don't sound overly upset about our aquisition.
beast (18-Apr) : OT Dillard has been absolutely horrible... like OG Newman levels
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Suit him up and have him stand in front of the big board as a draft day cautionary tale.
Zero2Cool (18-Apr) : Packers sign T Andre Dillard.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
46m / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

22-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

22-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

21-Apr / Fantasy Sports Talk / dfosterf

21-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

19-Apr / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16-Apr / Random Babble / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.