djcubez
14 years ago

Sometimes a player isn't suited to a particular scheme or team. Sometimes they don't want to play where they're at. Sometimes they're nursing an injury you don't know about. Sometimes they develop a synergy with other players at their new team. You never know why a player performs better in one location than another. It's not worth losing sleep over.

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

LOL you posted this at the same time I posted mine. You said what I wanted to perfectly.
bozz_2006
14 years ago
I didn't mean to imply you were bitching. What you were saying didn't come off as bitching to me. I'm just attempting to point out that it's not as easy as rating a player with a number from 1-100 like on Madden. There are so many variables, as Nonstop pointed out.

edit: you quoted Zero, not me. hahaha. Yeah, he implied that you were bitching. lol
UserPostedImage
bozz_2006
14 years ago
and I didn't mean to imply that you didn't know that, either!
UserPostedImage
aa-rod_is_cool
14 years ago

I didn't mean to imply you were bitching. What you were saying didn't come off as bitching to me. I'm just attempting to point out that it's not as easy as rating a player with a number from 1-100 like on Madden. There are so many variables, as Nonstop pointed out.

edit: you quoted Zero, not me. hahaha. Yeah, he implied that you were bitching. lol

"bozz_2006" wrote:

haha thanks for clearin all that up..
blank
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
14 years ago

You wonder because you take it for face value and you don't try to put yourself in the shoes of a GM trying to fill out a roster for offense, defense and special teams while maintaining depth and not releasing someone who has not hit their ceiling yet.

No one is perfect at it, so why continue threads like this? Oh, I know. Because even after winning our fourth game in a row, we still have to whiny bitchy fans who can't appreciate a win.

"Greg C." wrote:

It didn't strike me as a mean-spirited post, although the thread could easily go in that direction. An important thing to remember is that these are all marginal players. Hitting paydirt on a really good player, like Clay Matthews, more than makes up for all of these relatively minor misses.

But I do think it's interesting sometimes to ponder what the thought process is in getting rid of players who end up doing better with other teams.

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

Excellent point. +1
You know I wonder why people do the things they do. (Be it a GM or the guy down the street. Everyone but Cheesey. It is just too scary to get inside that head.) By knowing why people do certain things just gives you an insight into how they are or in the case of a move by a GM who the team is. It would be nice to know what Unlce Teddy's reasoning is although we will never find out.

Zero, I have to agree with you on the Sutton. I thought it worth the risk to try and stash him on the practice squad. I realize that there are teams who would be interested in him but he would never be the featured RB so I can not fault them for giving it a shot.

That Ryan, White or Smith were cut does not keep me up at nights. I was not real happy that they released Rouse. I thought he deserved 1 more year. But then I know nothing.
UserPostedImage
RaiderPride
14 years ago
There is not a GM in the NFL that has not released a player that later prospered in the NFL.

Some times it is opportunity. Just like in life, some people just can not perform on Tests but know the material in a relaxed atmosphere. In the NFL a test is getting limited opportunities and downs to prove them-self. Once they get the confidence they are the starter they have no pressure and take their performance to new heights.

Some times it is the atmosphere. The coaches philosophy and the attitude in the room. Some players may prosper under a villain of a coach, and not under a players coach.

Sometimes it is slow learners. Some people just do not grasp things quickly and are moved.

Sometimes it is team depth at that position.

Sometimes it is maturity and not all kids mature at the same age level.

Many times it is the system the team plays, and what is expected of that player physically.

It is very complicated.... But no GM is perfect.
""People Will Probably Never Remember What You Said, And May Never Remember What You Did. However, People Will Always Remember How You Made Them Feel."
nerdmann
14 years ago
I always thought they should have bulked Rouse up and tried him at OLB. Is that radical?
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
djcubez
14 years ago

I always thought they should have bulked Rouse up and tried him at OLB. Is that radical?

"nerdmann" wrote:

Not really, a lot of people thought that when he was coming out of the draft. He couldn't be a 3-4 OLB though.
Cheesey
14 years ago
WPR said:"You know I wonder why people do the things they do. (Be it a GM or the guy down the street. Everyone but Cheesey. It is just too scary to get inside that head.)"
I LOVE it!!!
Even when i'm not IN a thread, i get in it!LOLOL!!!

You know, there are only 53 spots on a roster. At the time, the GM makes the moves as he sees as the best AT THE TIME.
ANYONE can say later on "Why did he DO that?" As the old saying goes, hindsight is 20/20. If he KNEW who was gonna get hurt, or whatever, maybe he would have changed who he cut. But NO ONE knew at the time.

And i hated the Jon Ryan getting cut thing. Ted Thompson has something in common with Ron Wolf. Wolf said one of his biggest mistakes was letting Craig Heintrich go. I think alot of GM's don't appreciate how important a good punter, or kicker is.
UserPostedImage
RaiderPride
14 years ago
The concern with Jon Ryan was that he took an extra step and that would be a challenge with blocked kicks. It was a legit concern at the time.

He is doing very well in Seattle.. So be it
""People Will Probably Never Remember What You Said, And May Never Remember What You Did. However, People Will Always Remember How You Made Them Feel."
Fan Shout
dfosterf (6h) : The only problem with that is he isn't a guard either.
dfosterf (7h) : Put him at right guard. That is where he will be coached. That is where he will compete. He is not even allowed to look at the LT playbook.
dfosterf (22h) : Kidding aside, I hope the best for him.
dfosterf (22h) : Went to a Titans board. One comment there. Not very long. I quote: "LOL" They don't sound overly upset about our aquisition.
beast (22h) : OT Dillard has been absolutely horrible... like OG Newman levels
dfosterf (23h) : Suit him up and have him stand in front of the big board as a draft day cautionary tale.
Zero2Cool (18-Apr) : Packers sign T Andre Dillard.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#×k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
Martha Careful (6-Apr) : Go Boilermakers!!!
Martha Careful (5-Apr) : Diggs has not stepped up in the playoffs and has a high cost
beast (5-Apr) : Probably not going to let Diggs walk away unless he's horrible... but according to reports he also might not be as good as he used to be.
beast (5-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft has been an offensive player since 2017, 2 TE, 2 WR, 1 RB, 1 OC
Mucky Tundra (5-Apr) : Odd, why give up a 2025 2nd Rounder for him if you're just gonna let him walk?
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : Texans to let Diggs be free agent in '25
buckeyepackfan (4-Apr) : 49r's aign RB Patrick Taylor.
Martha Careful (4-Apr) : Reversion to the mean would indicate we will keep it
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : It's also been utilized in a trade in 14 of the past 20 years
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft hasn't been made by it's original holder since 2016.
Mucky Tundra (4-Apr) : Gotta imagine that Green Bay vs Houston will be a primetime game this upcoming season
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : No. Kill QB. No worries. 😁
Mucky Tundra (3-Apr) : Diggs, Collins, Dell and Schultz is gonna be tough to cover
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
31m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

20h / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16-Apr / Random Babble / Martha Careful

15-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12-Apr / Random Babble / Nonstopdrivel

12-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.