Zero2Cool
14 years ago
Web Page Name 

The Green Bay Packers generally have tempered their excitement about rookies in the four years General Manager Ted Thompson and coach Mike McCarthy have been running the football side of the organization.

Receiver Greg Jennings stood out too much to be ignored as a second-round pick in 2006. But aside from him, the only other draft picks who started regularly as rookies in that time, let alone became key players, were offensive linemen Daryn Colledge and Jason Spitz.

But ask McCarthy what he thinks of Thompsons selection of outside linebacker Clay Matthews at No. 26 overall in this years draft, and theres not much tempering.

What do I think of the pick of Clay Matthews? McCarthy said. Cant you just say thats a heck of a pick in Clay Matthews?

Yes, as the 2009 season goes on, its looking more like Thompson hit it big when he selected Matthews, the former USC standout who is the son, nephew and grandson of former NFL players and a likely candidate for defensive rookie of the year.

Matthews, a starter since Week 4, has been one of the Packers better defensive players for a good chunk of the season. This week, he was named NFC defensive player of the week not defensive rookie, but defensive player. Against Baltimore on Monday night, he had six tackles, two sacks and a forced fumble in the Packers 27-14 win.

It's more than one game, though. Matthews is one of several reasons the Packers are a much improved defense from 2008.

Much of the credit for their No. 8 ranking in fewest points allowed after 12 games goes to defensive coordinator Dom Capers, who weathered some ups and downs in the first half of the season with his new 3-4 and has put together two strong games without outside linebacker Aaron Kampman and cornerback Al Harris, who were lost to season-ending injuries.

But to make an appreciable jump such as the Packers have last season they were No. 22 in the league in points allowed a team also needs ascending play from a couple of new faces, or up-and-comers already on the roster. Matthews has been one of those players as the right outside linebacker.

The speed he brings to the field, especially the pass rush, he plays like a veteran, defensive end Cullen Jenkins said. Thats huge.

When Thompson traded two third-round picks to move up from early in the second round (No. 41 overall) and draft Matthews late in the first round (No. 26), he surprised even members of his organization. Not that he liked Matthews, who was a late riser in the spring after being only a one-year starter at USC, but for trading two valuable picks to move up for only the second time in his five drafts for the Packers.

I thought at the time it was an unusual move for Ted, quarterback Aaron Rodgers said, but I realized they must have seen something special in him. The thing that struck me first about Clay, he had the right demeanor for a rookie. He came in, kept his mouth shut. He just wanted to play and play hard and wait for his opportunity. Now, it didnt come right away, he wasnt starting Day 1, and he continued to work hard and has shown himself to be a very solid player, a good professional. He competes week in and week out, and hes really helped out our team a bunch.

The Packers projected Matthews to be a starter at some point as a rookie, though a recurring hamstring injury and veteran Brady Poppinga held him back from that role until Week 4.

Either way, Thompsons investment was huge, because he chose Matthews specifically for a critical role in Capers 3-4 defense. The outside linebackers in Capers scheme are the most important playmakers. For the defense to thrive, they have to be excellent outside rushers while holding up in pass coverage and against the run.

Though Matthews isnt a lights-out speed rusher, hes shown a good combination of quickness and instincts in attaining seven sacks, which ties him with Washingtons Brian Orakpo for tops among rookies this season and for No. 13 in the league.

Matthews also has shown a complete set of skills. NFL scouts who have watched the Packers say that what stands out is the most basic of observations: He always seems to be around the ball, which is what Thompson said jumped out at him when he watched tape of USC last season.

You cant argue with the athletic ability, the versatility he gives you at that position, McCarthy said. Thats what youre looking for. The ability to put his hand down and rush the passer. Also to play all the different combinations, the pressure packages and the cover packages. I think hes off to an excellent start. When you have a rookie win the defensive player of the week, I think that speaks for itself.

Though Matthews has been a late bloomer, in one way he probably was as well prepared to play immediately as anyone in this years draft. He grew up watching what his father, Clay Matthews Jr., and to a lesser degree his uncle, Bruce Matthews, did on and off the field to forge their 19-year NFL careers.

McCarthy, Jenkins and Rodgers all brought up Matthews professionalism without being asked. Matthews appears to have learned it as much by osmosis as anything. He said football is in our DNA and that he and his father never talked much about what its like to be a rookie, which seems to have fostered a professional mindset.

I dont buy into that if youre a rookie youre not expected to produce as much or youre expected to make mistakes, Matthews said.

So (my father) talks to me, and so does everybody else, as if Im a veteran. Im doing the same thing everybody else is, and theres no excuse for not understanding a game plan or not being able to make a certain play. They brought me in for a reason, and that was to contribute right off the bat.

UserPostedImage
porky88
14 years ago
I wasn't crazy about what the Packers gave up to get Matthews, but looking back, it was so worth it. This guy is playing his best football here in the second half and really he just spells out Green Bay Packer football to me. He looks and acts the part of a Packer.
Zero2Cool
14 years ago
I don't know a whole lot about drafts, but I was reading and hearing often that it was a weak draft, so I didn't much mind it.
UserPostedImage
Jacob
14 years ago
UserPostedImage
millertime
14 years ago
Great pick up. If Jones can put on some weight and not lose his speed, we might have our 3-4 OLBers of the future. Nice to see that GB looks to have gotten 2 great players in round 1 last year, and two solid guys (Lang and Brad Jones) in later rounds. There's your props Ted.

(I still don't forgive you for F-ing up the oline. Yeah, I hold grudges!)
porky88
14 years ago
The Lambeau Locks is what we should call him.
WhiskeySam
14 years ago
Nice write-up on the kid. He deserves the accolades.
Nemo me impune lacessit
Rockmolder
14 years ago
Great pick.

It's not only the plays that he makes, though, it's also the ones that he lets others make.

He's such a smart player, especially for a rookie. He doesn't try to rack up tackles or anything. He'd rather hold his gap, not giving the RB any cutback lanes, letting another players make the tackle.

He should be a great player for years to come.
Fan Shout
dfosterf (12h) : Kidding aside, I hope the best for him.
dfosterf (12h) : Went to a Titans board. One comment there. Not very long. I quote: "LOL" They don't sound overly upset about our aquisition.
beast (12h) : OT Dillard has been absolutely horrible... like OG Newman levels
dfosterf (13h) : Suit him up and have him stand in front of the big board as a draft day cautionary tale.
Zero2Cool (14h) : Packers sign T Andre Dillard.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#×k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
Martha Careful (6-Apr) : Go Boilermakers!!!
Martha Careful (5-Apr) : Diggs has not stepped up in the playoffs and has a high cost
beast (5-Apr) : Probably not going to let Diggs walk away unless he's horrible... but according to reports he also might not be as good as he used to be.
beast (5-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft has been an offensive player since 2017, 2 TE, 2 WR, 1 RB, 1 OC
Mucky Tundra (5-Apr) : Odd, why give up a 2025 2nd Rounder for him if you're just gonna let him walk?
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : Texans to let Diggs be free agent in '25
buckeyepackfan (4-Apr) : 49r's aign RB Patrick Taylor.
Martha Careful (4-Apr) : Reversion to the mean would indicate we will keep it
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : It's also been utilized in a trade in 14 of the past 20 years
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft hasn't been made by it's original holder since 2016.
Mucky Tundra (4-Apr) : Gotta imagine that Green Bay vs Houston will be a primetime game this upcoming season
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : No. Kill QB. No worries. 😁
Mucky Tundra (3-Apr) : Diggs, Collins, Dell and Schultz is gonna be tough to cover
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Stefon Diggs' trade will not be processed as a post-June 1 designation, so that is just over $31 million in dead cap this year.
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Bills trading WR Stefon Diggs to the Texans in exchange for a 2025 2nd-round pick. (via @rapsheet)
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
12m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

9h / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16-Apr / Random Babble / Martha Careful

15-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12-Apr / Random Babble / Nonstopdrivel

12-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.