Pack93z
14 years ago
Where does one get this "official" drop stat?

I am pretty damn sure that that number isn't as low as five (from memory).. but there has been articles written early this season on the same issue.. drops...

I am not over-reacting at all.. I think it is a concern and deserves more than "It part of the game" type fodder.

You would swear that I called him over rated or something.. pointing out areas of concern or weakness isn't a bad thing.. but some sure can't handle it to any degree.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Zero2Cool
14 years ago

IMO, he better be sweating the drops.. it isn't a one game thing this season.. him seeming to just accept it as part of the game is disappointing.

Overall, comments like this, inconsistencies of certain units and penalties really makes a person ponder the discipline upon this team.

"all_about_da_packers" wrote:

The journalism in that article is pretty poor.

Looking at Jennings' interview on Packers.com, when he says he "isn't concerned about it," he is referring strictly to losing the ball in the lights. He says that is a part of football, and it happens some times. He mentions a catch he made against the Bears in the season opener, where he lost it in the lights, but it eventually worked out where he kept his vision on towards a particular point, and then saw the ball as it came out of the lights.

Jennings, except for like a 5 second response about the drop on the slant - where it should be noted he says it was all on him, and that such drops are basically inexcusable - is strictly talking about the plays where the ball was lost in the lights, and he only saw them last second when they were in front of his eyes.

Jennings has said before that coaches are especially tough on WRs, especially WRs coach Jimmy Robinson, and how he's gotten in trouble with Robinson for things like turning a short slant into a TD, but not securing the ball in both hands as he crossed the goal line.

Again, the article reflects shockingly poor journalism.

"pack93z" wrote:

Thank you for mentioning this. As you know, I've hated on journalists for sometime as I watch the videos and see a portion of the material they procure their articles from.

I must say, shockingly? C'mon now, lol.

----- separate note -----
I counted three jobs against the Ravens by Jennings alone. I know he's dropped more than five. Maybe five that were dead center between the numbers.
UserPostedImage
14 years ago

Where does one get this "official" drop stat?

I am pretty damn sure that that number isn't as low as five (from memory).. but there has been articles written early this season on the same issue.. drops...

I am not over-reacting at all.. I think it is a concern and deserves more than "It part of the game" type fodder.

You would swear that I called him over rated or something.. pointing out areas of concern or weakness isn't a bad thing.. but some sure can't handle it to any degree.

"pack93z" wrote:

You're right. I apologize for my opinion on the matter.

What we should do is write the team. Hopefully they listen and do some pass catching drills in practice. Shake things up. :icon_smile:
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
14 years ago

Numbers crunch 
By JASON WILDE

GREEN BAY Greg Jennings swears hes not pressing, swears he doesnt know his statistics and swears he isnt unhappy with his role in the Green Bay Packers offense.

Now, if the Packers werent winning, well, then maybe the fourth-year wide receiver would be taking a different tack. But with an 8-4 record and a four-game winning streak entering Sundays game at Chicago, Jennings said Wednesday that winning cures whatever disappointment he might feel personally about his season.

Im telling you, when were playing the way were playing, when were winning, youre going to get nothing but smiles, Jennings said after practice Wednesday. Now, if it were reversed, then maybe. But Im not trying to mess with anything. Were good, where were at. Were all helping one another, were all making each other better, were all complementing each other right now. Theres no reason to mess with anything.

Still, Jennings numbers are down. Last year, he caught 80 passes for 1,292 yards and nine touchdowns; he enters the 13th game of the year with just 53 receptions for 799 yards and three touchdowns, putting him on pace for 70 catches for 1,065 yards and four TDs.

I honestly dont even know my numbers right now. I dont, said Jennings, who signed a three-year, $27 million contract extension in the offseason and started the year by catching the game-winning 50-yard touchdown pass against Chicago in the regular-season opener. I dont really get caught up in numbers. When you start focusing on numbers, you start worrying about this and worrying about that. So I dont know how many catches I have, I dont know how many yards. I know my touchdowns.

In Monday nights victory over Baltimore, Jennings dropped two passes, but he said the explanations were simple: On the slant that he dropped, he simply took his eye off the ball; on the puma route on the sideline, he lost the ball in the lights.

Im not concerned about that, not at all, said Jennings, who has now dropped five passes on the season, tying him with Donald Driver for the team lead. Im nowhere close to being concerned it. Not sounding cocky about it, but drops are a part of the game. But what happened to me on (Monday), the slant, totally (my fault), totally like 100 percent. That is just uncalled for. (On the other drop), I cant control the lights.

Asked if he thought Jennings was pressing against the Ravens, causing the drops, coach Mike McCarthy said he didnt think so then proceeded to defend his receiver.

Greg is an outstanding football player. I'm excited he's on our team. He's going to be on our team for a long time, McCarthy said. I think (his decreased productivity) is a product of our offense. ... It's kind of tough to have numbers for everybody across the board. You'd like to. But Greg's a team player and I think he does a great job for us. Maybe he would have had more production Monday night, but I didn't have a sense he was pressing in the game.

On Oct. 12, Jennings politely but publicly complained about his role in the offense, saying he wanted the doggone ball more.

The offense was kind of struggling. So that was a different situation, Jennings said Wednesday. Dont get me wrong, every receiver wants to see more balls. That is just every receiver. But were a close knit group, and were very unselfish. Youre never going to see a guy just complaining about getting balls or not getting balls. So its not about that. Thats when it becomes a selfish game, and were not about being selfish guys at all.

That said, Jennings did suggest that if McCarthy and offensive coordinator Joe Philbin lined him up in the slot more often, instead of being split out wide, his production would go up.

Being in the slot is stealing. I tell Drive that all the time. Youre a thief if youre in the slot. Because you have so much space to work with, its ridiculous, Jennings said. Thats the way it is. We all play all the positions, we can all play any position out there on the field, and we switch from time to time just to give the defense a different look. And wherever that ball goes, we just try to make plays.

Jennings is often lined up on the same side as the slot receiver in a three-receiver set, leaving James Jones alone on the opposite side of the field.

I talk (about) this with James all the time. We could go to James every single play. Because he gets the one-on-one (coverage), Jennings said. He could get the ball every (play) I mean literally, this is not me exaggerating. When him and Jordy (Nelson) are by themselves on that boundary I mean, its almost like that is a mismatch every time. But (quarterback Aaron Rodgers) spreads the ball around, so Im not complaining.

So if lining up in the slot is stealing and the single receiver on the opposite of Jennings and the slot receiver could get the ball on every play, why isnt Jennings lining up in those spots more often?

Well, its all about formations and personnel, he said. A lot of times this year, defenses have been rolling (coverage) to me. So we try to kind of put me in a position where either theyre doing something we want them to do or we think theyre going to do something so I can either get open or kind of pull the coverage. So its a give-and-take. Thats what the game is all about.

UserPostedImage
Pack93z
14 years ago

What we should do is write the team. Hopefully they listen and do some pass catching drills in practice. Shake things up. :icon_smile:

"MassPackersFan" wrote:

LOL.. that is as silly as Jennings claiming it is no big deal. ;)

Simply put.. I am a slight bit disappointed in his under reaction.. nothing more.

I am thinking maybe I need to buy a thick pair of green and gold shades and a muzzle. 😉
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
14 years ago
I do hope to see the last of the dropsies from Jennings and everyone else, for that matter. It killed two drives in the Baltimore game, which would have hurt much worse if the game had turned out to be closer. That's why I focused on the drops.
I do believe Jennings wanted the ball more after the drops. You could see he wanted redemption, however cool he played it in this interview. Take the PI call on the deep pass down the right sideline. I think his reaction wasn't because of the flag but because he wanted that ball and he wanted the TD that would have resulted in a catch. That's why I'm not worried. He wants to excel. He won't ignore these drops, regardless of what he said to this reporter.
UserPostedImage
mi_keys
14 years ago
I'm not worried about him either. Or at least no more so than any of the other receivers this year. First couple of weeks everyone had problems with drops. It had gone away until last Monday when Jennings had 2, Driver had two that I can recall, Lee had 1 that I remember, and there were probably a couple more. Everyone was having issues. As all_about_da_pack pointed out, Jennings only brushed off the one he lost in the light and said the drop on the slant was inexcusable. I doubt it will be a recurring problem.
Born and bred a cheesehead
Fan Shout
dfosterf (3h) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (3h) : Yes
Zero2Cool (4h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (7h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (7h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (10h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (11h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (21h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

22h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

22h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.