TheEngineer
14 years ago

His play calling one of these days is going to make me go postal.

"zombieslayer" wrote:

If you take it out on McCarthy, that's two birds with one stone.
blank
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
14 years ago
I'm one of those negative nellies.

I have gone from "extremely pessimistic" to "cautiously optimistic" over the last several weeks.

I am enthusiastic about the Charles Woodson-led defense (though I do think the ability to shut down the Joe Flaccos and Jay Cutlers of the world tends to distort many perceptions of their overall quality). I think this defense is good enough, barring any more injuries, to do what a championship defense needs to do.

My biggest gripe/fear all along has been, and remains, the offensive line. Last five games notwithstanding, I still am unconvinced that the team has anoffensive line of the caliber a championship contender needs, or that it will have such a line without major attention this coming off-season.

I will not become more than that until this team wins a playoff game or two. Until it dominates a playoff game the way it has shown itself able to dominate the lower tier teams from time to time.

And if the team does not go deep into the playoffs this year, yes, I will be back on the "rag on Thompson" bandwagon. And maybe on the "rag on McCarthy" bandwagon, too.

Bet on it.
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
zombieslayer
14 years ago
Wade - The Steelers won 2 SBs this decade with a mediocre OL.

The key to us winning the SB - force turnovers. We do that and we can beat any team. Woody's got 8 picks and 4 forced fumbles. Collins has 6 picks and recovered 2 fumbles. Jenkins forced 3 fumbles.

I'm along the same lines - cautiously optimistic. I know that if we force turnovers in the Playoffs, we can take down the best of them.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
14 years ago
zombieslayer,

points taken.

on the other hand, how many of the other 8 SB winners in that decade had mediocre OLs? how many of the other 18 teams making it to the big dance in the decade did?

Baltimore won a Super Bowl with Trent Dilfer....but I'd sure rather have an Aaron Rodgers than a Trent Dilfer at the helm.

It can be done, yes. But I"m not convinced it's likely.

I want a team that regularly contends for the big show. You're right, Pittsburgh has shown it to be possible with even a mediocre OL. But I want more than "might." I'm a greedy, unreasonable SOB. 🙂
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
Rockmolder
14 years ago

zombieslayer,

points taken.

on the other hand, how many of the other 8 SB winners in that decade had mediocre OLs? how many of the other 18 teams making it to the big dance in the decade did?

Baltimore won a Super Bowl with Trent Dilfer....but I'd sure rather have an Aaron Rodgers than a Trent Dilfer at the helm.

It can be done, yes. But I"m not convinced it's likely.

I want a team that regularly contends for the big show. You're right, Pittsburgh has shown it to be possible with even a mediocre OL. But I want more than "might." I'm a greedy, unreasonable SOB. :)

"Wade" wrote:

I agree.

We've build this team the wrong way around, hence the giant leap from 'bottom dwellers' to contenders.

Build an O-line and D-line and your defense is nearly set. Just look at the Vikings. With Henders out, their only playmakers who aren't D-linemen are Greenway and Winfield, yet, they're still one of the better defenses in the league.

And there's one reason for that, the D-line. When you can rush the passer and stop the run up front, you're nearly set on defense.

We're finally stopping the run with our 3 big guys up front. We're still not having that Jared Allen guy (an OLB for us), but just think of what we could do with someone like that.

Same goes for the O-line. The Redskins being the dominant team they where, was mainly due to those big 'Hogs' up front. Build an O-line and you can get by with a mediocre QB and RB. Just ask Timmy Smith.

I bet that most of you actually know Timmy Smith . And that pretty much goes with my point.
warhawk
14 years ago
This is not the offensive line with all the problems we saw early on.

First of all Barbre is nowhere to be seen. Secondly, we are not having to go with Lang at LT although if we need him at RT he does a good job. Last, our interior OL is communicating much better, recognizing the pickups, and not just letting somebody blow through two or three times a game. Once they started shuffling the TE around pre-snap and getting a read on what the defense was bringing that went away.

I said several weeks ago we NEED Clifton and Tauscher down this stretch. They have been here before and they will only become that much more valuable in the playoffs.

Five games is plenty to show a turnaround and the only caveat regarding the 0line is injury. We absolutely don't want to see Clifton go down and the G/C spots are a little thin too.

If all five are still out there come January I'm good to go with what's there now.
"The train is leaving the station."
packfan4
14 years ago
This team is going to be ready for the Playoffs once the time comes, i'm hoping we follow the trend of hottest team heading into the Playoffs winning it all. One thing that really concerns me though is our Special Teams, our coverage units have been shaky all year and Crosby/Kapinos have to be one of the worst K/P duos in the NFL this year(statistically). That could cost us bigtime and if it does, I hope it's bye, bye, Mason, Kapinos, and Slocum.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
dfosterf (17h) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (17h) : Yes
Zero2Cool (18h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (20h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (21h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (28-Mar) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (28-Mar) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (28-Mar) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
2h / Around The NFL / Zero2Cool

17h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.