Zero2Cool
14 years ago

The Saints are a super O team, like the '07 Pats. They put up lots of points and just continually score. So hard to say if some of the many points they allow are "garbage points."

"zombieslayer" wrote:

Also, who knows? Maybe the defense let the other team take the lead and they had to score again to regain the lead and this happened a few times throughout the game?

Trying find a statistical measurement of the 'better' team, I think is nearly impossible, unless you really, REALLY dig deep. And even then, I don't think it would be entirely accurate because of injuries, home field noise, weather, etc ...
UserPostedImage
wils0646
14 years ago

You just can't separate penalties from everything else, because it's all interrelated--as reflected in the win-loss columns.

"Greg C." wrote:

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/65706132.html 

In their 2007 Pro Football Prospectus, Aaron Schatz and Bill Barnwell from footballoutsiders.com studied penalties from 2002-'06. They found there was "almost zero" correlation between record and defensive or special-team penalties. There was, however, a much stronger correlation with offensive penalties.

Of course this can change when looking as specific games, but as a whole, defensive penalties seem to not have a significant correlation to wins and losses.
The Pack Will Be Back.
nathaniel
14 years ago
This reminds me of all the talk last year about the Hawkeyes. We had four losses but lost those games by a combined 12 points. Everyone was saying how good we were since those losses were by such a small margin, but at the end of the day we still had four losses.

The argument is a moot point, because if Tampa Bay had better players at every position, they could be 13-0. Each team has what it has and needs to make due. O-line play and penalties are such a huge part of the game that you can't just say ignore them and look at the rest of the stats. I'd rather be 13-0. But even with our record I still like our chances against any team with any record.
blank
zombieslayer
14 years ago
In the end of the day, the only way to really measure the best team is the one who goes the farthest. I don't care if the Colts go 16-0, win the Divisional Playoff game by 50 points, then the CG by 50 points, then we lose the rest of our regular season games, squeak into the Playoffs, then squeak by all 3 Playoff games and win the SB in the last second by 1 point. We'd be the better team.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
14 years ago
No way anyone with as bad karma as Peyton Manning should ever be allowed to go 16-0.

Of course, he should never have been allowed to win a Superbowl or an MVP either. (mutter)
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
Packers_Finland
14 years ago
What's with all the Manning hate? (I hate Peyton too, I just want to know why, as I don't know the reason myself)
This is a placeholder
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
14 years ago

What's with all the Manning hate? (I hate Peyton too, I just want to know why, as I don't know the reason myself)

"Packers_Finland" wrote:

Ah, but hate is supposed to be irrational (i.e. without reason). :)

As to why I don't like him:
1. Partly because he's going to own all of Favre's records.
2. But mostly its just gut feeling ... sort of like he's a really good used car salesman ... has a great rep but there's the sense that under the surface he's a sleaze.
When I was in high school, the star athletes were of three types. Some, a few, were nice and deserved all the "leadership" and "popularity" they got. Barry Sanders types. Bart Starr types. Some were pricks and got all that stuff just because they could do the athletic thing better than anyone else. And then there were the third type, the kind that had a great image as being nice like the first type, but under the surface, they were bigger pricks than the second type. I've always felt Peyton fit that third category.

To be honest, I tend to feel similarly about most icons, be they teams (ND football, Duke BB) or players (Michael Jordan, Tiger Woods, virtually any tennis player, Joe Montana). I'd rather have an honest prick (Charles Barkley, Bobby Knight) than one of these image-meisters (Jordan, Coach K) anyday.
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
14 years ago
I have nothing against Peyton. Eli, on the other hand, sucks. You don't shoot teams down and tell them you won't play for them after they draft you, before you've thrown ONE pass in the NFL. Seriously, go to hell Eli, you over-privileged punk. Rivers is 10 times the QB you are.
UserPostedImage
nathaniel
14 years ago
I don't mind Peyton at all. If someone is going to break Favre's records, I'd rather it be a guy like Peyton whose work ethic is ridiculous. Plus, he was flippin' hilarious on SNL.

Now Eli on the other hand, I can't stand. All I saw when he was drafted was a little kid standing behind his daddy and his last name. I'm pretty sure his dad has a link to the radio in his helmet and he tells Eli what to do. After the Giants beat the Packers in the NFC championship game, all I could think about was how Eli looked like a below average QB. He has yet to impress me. That's not saying much, but I just don't see anything impressive about him. If I was in that locker room, it'd be hard for me to look at Eli as a leader.
blank
Greg C.
14 years ago

i see alot of people saying how great the Colts line is but i think most of that is on The guy i really hate Manning. He is for the most part their offensive cord, and he doesn't hold onto the ball very long.

If they are such a great o-line why is their running game sucking?

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

They have 13 rushing TD's, 9 of which are from their starting RB.

"dhazer" wrote:

That smelled like a misleading stat to me, so I did a little research. The Colts are 30th in the league in rushing yards per game, averaging 88.0, and they are tied for 29th in rushing yards per attempt, averaging 3.8. I'm not going to give their rushing game a lot of credit if the passing game gets them near the goal line and they punch it in from there.

I've never seen any reason to hate Peyton Manning. I don't especially like him, either. I just think he is a phenomenal QB--among the best ever, and he is still in his prime. Eli is more of the crafty Kenny Stabler or Jim Plunkett type. He's not consistent but he keeps plugging away and is always capable of gutting out a win when it is least expected.
blank
Fan Shout
dfosterf (13h) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (14h) : Yes
Zero2Cool (15h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (17h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (18h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (20h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (21h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (28-Mar) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
15m / Around The NFL / Martha Careful

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.