IronMan
14 years ago

If the coaching staff didn't already know not to retreat into a prevent defense with the game on the line, this this game certainly won't teach them. There are literally decades of film out there to show what a bad idea it is. I don't understand why coaches stubbornly lapse into this habit time after time.

I call it cowardice, but I'm not a nice guy.

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

+1
14 years ago
Over the course of the remainder of this season and the next, I expect there to be more moments of madness. I bet Capers plays prevent in a similar situation three/four times before we finally realise it is ineffectual.

See - long bombs/draws on 2nd and ten earlier this season.
UserPostedImage 
Zero2Cool is my captain.
musccy
14 years ago
as buckeye and others alluded to, a win gives you a potentially false sense of compotence. Look at this board...how much more do we scrutinize and critique every mistake now relative to a loss?

I do not deny there were mistakes made and the prevent was basically a dud, however, 2 weeks before crunch time the packers get a great wake up call to re-evaulate the team and our weaknesses, w/out affecting our playoff positoin, and while playing toe-to-toe with a re-energized defending champ in a game that came down to the last play on the last possession.

How'd you like to be the vikes right now who just got spanked 2 of the last 3 weeks?
yooperfan
14 years ago

If the coaching staff didn't already know not to retreat into a prevent defense with the game on the line, this this game certainly won't teach them. There are literally decades of film out there to show what a bad idea it is. I don't understand why coaches stubbornly lapse into this habit time after time.

I call it cowardice, but I'm not a nice guy.

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

You are absolutely correct! +1
It certainly is a mystery.
hardrocker950
14 years ago
I agree that 3 man rush is not the answer, but I can see why that type of playcalling was made. When your secondary is suffering from injury it obviously compromizes pass coverage. I can see the idea was to improve the coverage, but having a big LB charging your ass is more intimidating (and threatens a loss via sack rather than having time to throw the ball away.)
I have to say that I am a fan of strong pass rush, for the fact that the offense has more to lose when the defense executes successfully. Wether its a bad throw or a sack, over time we have seen more success with putting guys in the QBs face!
yooperfan
14 years ago
When the ball hit the top of the pilon and bounced out of bounds for a touchback giving them the ball on the 20 I told my wife that we wouldn't win.
That told me the ball wasn't going to bounce our way in this particular game and the rest is history.
warhawk
14 years ago

They lost a game to a tough opponent on the road by one point after winning five in a row.

I think Seifert is reading too much into this. Sometimes you get into a shootout. It hadn't happened to the Packers in awhile. They were due for one. I think they played a lot better in the playoff-type atmosphere in Pittsburgh than they did in either game against the Vikings.

I agree with Seifert that the Packers are not there yet, but they are getting closer. They learned a lot from this game, I'm sure.

"Greg C." wrote:

Seifert can suck an egg. You could pick at a lot of teams. I like where we are. The Vikes puked again and Arizona stumbled over Detroit so where are they at in terms of playoff readiness?

I think that this shootout happened in part because the interior of our Dline is a little nicked up right now. It seemed like Jenkins was the only one getting in there at all. Our recent win streak can be contributed to those three guys in the middle getting more pressure than they had been and we just need those guys getting healthy in January.

On a note Jenkins could have ended it on the second to last play. He had a shot right there and missed and that allowed the last play to get off.
"The train is leaving the station."
porky88
14 years ago
Dom Capers is the reason this team is even in the playoff picture right now along with Charles Woodson and Aaron Rodgers. I think people need to keep things in perspective which people don't do in today's' world and not just packer fans but big time writers like Peter King too.

Without 500 yards passing, Green Bay wins. I'm sure Kurt Warner is licking his chops to do what Ben did, but I also know that 500 yards probably isn't going to happen again anytime soon.

It's certainly a huge disappointment to see the pass defense play the way it did, but I don't think people can anticipate Green Bay giving up that type of yardage on a weekly basis now or come playoff time.

I'm sure they'll give up a lot of yardage when push comes to shove, but this was a career like performance by one of the best QBs in football. Stuff like that just doesn't happen often.

As far as winning in the playoffs....

GB needs to clinch first, but again it's just one game. New Orleans and Minnesota loss this past week and now some (King) are saying the best NFC Title game might be Philly vs. Dallas because they won.

Hello... The Saints have loss one game. The Vikings have probably the best 22 starters in football.

One week doesn't change anything unless it's something that has been consistently eating at you all year.

I think Green Bay's pass defense is a concern, but Pittsburgh did something that everyone already knew. Go after Jarrett Bush and Josh Bell. Seattle knew that before the Steelers' game and they'll know it now. Arizona did too.

In my view, nothing has changed. The Packers should keep playing their style of defense and maybe dial up a little blitz package late in the game, but to be fair, the refs were throwing flags that last drive. Ben may of just thrown is up for grabs and the Steelers may of gotten a call. It was a tough position to be in this week for the Green Bay defense. It's not like Pittsburgh is a stranger to that situation. That experience will help some of the younger guys.
nerdmann
14 years ago
The Packers defense with Dom Capers win that game 9 out of 10 times. They did everything right.
The Packers are peaking at the right time. The Queens are now imploding. You could set your watch by that. They are even worse chokers than ever now with Benedict Arnold at the helm.
I liked how aggressively and solidly the Packers played in this game. We got jobbed by the refs repeatedly and the world champions still needed a miracle play at the last second to beat us in their own house.
So you can take that little puke Seiffert and tell him to take his stupid bullshit back to Minnesota. The dude is a Queens homer. Imagine Chris Havel, if he got promoted to national coverage by ESPN, only having worked for the Queens instead of covering the Packers.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Greg C.
14 years ago

GB needs to clinch first, but again it's just one game. New Orleans and Minnesota loss this past week and now some (King) are saying the best NFC Title game might be Philly vs. Dallas because they won.

Hello... The Saints have loss one game. The Vikings have probably the best 22 starters in football.

One week doesn't change anything unless it's something that has been consistently eating at you all year.

"porky88" wrote:

I noticed that too. Some people will just never learn that the NFL changes a lot from one week to the next. Had the Steelers made one less play in that game, some of them would be talking about the Packers in the same way they are talking about Philadelphia and Dallas.
blank
Fan Shout
dfosterf (5h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (12h) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (13h) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (14h) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (17h) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (19h) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (19h) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (19h) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (19h) : Against tbd
dfosterf (19h) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (19h) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (19h) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (19h) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (19h) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (20h) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (20h) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (20h) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (20h) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Hip drop is not. Super confusing. Referees job is harder
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Swivel hip drop is banned
dfosterf (25-Mar) : The hip drop enforcement will be in the form of fines, etc. Not flags
dfosterf (25-Mar) : A major foul will be enforced on the offense if there are offsetting penalties in a change of possession situation
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Teams will receive a 3rd challenge if 1 was successful. Previously, it took 2
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17h / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.