dfosterf
14 years ago
I say we do screen shots of the performance graphs at profootball focus for a little non green and gold perspective. I will do tackles to start us off. I will get the graph of the top left and right tackles, as presently rated, and then grab ours. I'll throw up Aaron Rodgers graph also, for shits and grins.

Someone wanna do guards, centers?
zombieslayer
14 years ago
All right David, I see what you're getting at. You want to be assured our OL is "good enough" to win the big one.

I can't guarantee you that. My crystal ball is broken.

I can however tell you that our OL has improved greatly over the season. It was by far the worst in the NFL in the first half of the season. That's not even an argument.

But starting November 15th, we've won 6 of the last 7 games. I don't think it's a coincidence in our "hot streak" that the OL's sack totals have dropped.

I do have the sack totals for you, but I don't have the culprit (which guy on the OL, or Rodgers). Someone else has to come up with that. Good luck to anyone who wants to do that research.

Date     Team      Sacks  Yds
11/15   Cows      4         11
11/22   Niners    2         18
11/26   Lions      1         6
12/07   Ravens   1         7
12/13   Bears     3         23
12/20   Steel      1         7
12/27   Hawks    1         9

This is great news and bodes well for us if the trend continues in the Playoffs. Give Rodgers protection and he'll kick ass. There's no denying that. 4000+ yards, 29 TDs for a guy who has been sacked more than any other QB in the NFL. Very impressive.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
dfosterf
14 years ago
How's about a little graphic action? Site Link 

Here you go, as promised:

UserPostedImage
Joe Thomas; top rated left tackle Cleveland Browns

UserPostedImage
Chad Clifton

UserPostedImage
Vernon Carey; Top rated Right Tackle; Miami Dolphins

UserPostedImage
Mark Tauscher

UserPostedImage
TJ Lang

LT games 4,6,7,8,9
RT games 10,11
LT games 12,16

UserPostedImage
Allen Barbre

UserPostedImage
Darryn Colledge
LT games 2,3,4

UserPostedImage
Aaron Rodgers; for shits and grins
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
14 years ago

All right David, I see what you're getting at. You want to be assured our OL is "good enough" to win the big one.

I can't guarantee you that. My crystal ball is broken.

I can however tell you that our OL has improved greatly over the season. It was by far the worst in the NFL in the first half of the season. That's not even an argument.

But starting November 15th, we've won 6 of the last 7 games. I don't think it's a coincidence in our "hot streak" that the OL's sack totals have dropped.

I do have the sack totals for you, but I don't have the culprit (which guy on the OL, or Rodgers). Someone else has to come up with that. Good luck to anyone who wants to do that research.

Date     Team      Sacks  Yds
11/15   Cows      4         11
11/22   Niners    2         18
11/26   Lions      1         6
12/07   Ravens   1         7
12/13   Bears     3         23
12/20   Steel      1         7
12/27   Hawks    1         9

This is great news and bodes well for us if the trend continues in the Playoffs. Give Rodgers protection and he'll kick ass. There's no denying that. 4000+ yards, 29 TDs for a guy who has been sacked more than any other QB in the NFL. Very impressive.

"zombieslayer" wrote:

I can't speak for Dave, but I think everyone agrees that OL play has substantially improved over the beginning of the year. And I don't think anyone is looking for a guarantee.

I think the question is more "which side of 'chances are 50/50'" are we, and how far. Early in the year, I would have put the chances of winning a playoff game at 1 in 100 or worse. Today, I put it at about 1 in 4. Maybe even 1 in 3.

Which amounts to something between a 2400 percent and 3233 percent increase in optimism on my part.

But it's still in the "sell" range. Because, IMO, a "serious contender" should come in at something higher than 1 in 2. Not 2 in 2, that's not possible. But more than 1 in 2.

Still selling.

:)
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
dfosterf
14 years ago
I chose "the game" to get the discussion going, without it being influenced by the other questions we all might have, in the sense that we CAN ask those other questions, but in another thread.

The reason I asked the question the way I did was because I was listening to ESPN radio this AM while running a few errands.

That was the question mark for our team... Is the o-line fixed to the point that it is not a "fundamental flaw" in trying to get to and through the playoffs. One guy said it was fixed enough, another guy said it is not.

I think it is a very, very good question.
zombieslayer
14 years ago
OK. Realistic answer. Do I think that this OL will cost us some drive killing sacks in the Super Bowl?

Yes. 😞
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
buckeyepackfan
14 years ago

How's about a little graphic action? Site Link 

Here you go, as promised:

UserPostedImage
Joe Thomas; top rated left tackle Cleveland Browns

UserPostedImage
Chad Clifton

UserPostedImage
Vernon Carey; Top rated Right Tackle; Miami Dolphins

UserPostedImage
Mark Tauscher

UserPostedImage
TJ Lang

LT games 4,6,7,8,9
RT games 10,11
LT games 12,16

UserPostedImage
Allen Barbre

UserPostedImage
Darryn Colledge
LT games 2,3,4

UserPostedImage
Aaron Rodgers; for shits and grins

"dfosterf" wrote:

You know if you would use pictures of Womens Breasts, instead of bars, these graphts would be much more pleasing to look at.

Of course the weeks with the most sacks would be the more interesting weeks. :icon_smile:

Playoff time is almost here, IMHO having Clifton,Tauscher and Wells (guys who have been there before) will be a huge plus for The Packers.

I'll buy for the rest of the year and into next year.
I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
matteogb4
14 years ago
i think we are getting better...we should keep cliffy for another year and give a tauscher a 2 years deal...we can develop lang...sitton is future probowler...colledge has to improve...spitz can stay if he accept a reasonable deal else we go with wells...

id like we spend a high draft pick and a middle round on the OL
blank
mi_keys
14 years ago
I'm selling.

The offensive line has improved immensely since the first half of the season. They've crept up back towards just below mediocrity. The scary thing is that with our weapons all we need is a mediocre line to have a dangerous offense. However, the line just isn't there yet and it is probably the most likely potential cause of us losing a playoff game (along with penalties, which are also highly associated with our line).

There are some reasons though why I think we can overcome our line:

Rock, I believe, mentioned the lack of scoring drives following a sack. That statistic was brought up in the Tampa Bay game at which point we had yet to score a touchdown on drives where Rodgers had been sacked. We broke that trend in the fourth quarter of the Tampa game and have since scored touchdowns on drives in which Rodgers was sacked against Dallas, Baltimore, and Pittsburgh. Since the fourth quarter of the the Bucs game we have had 15 drives in which we have given up a sack (4 sacks in fourth quarter of Bucs game, 2 in one drive, and 2 in one drive against Dallas) and have scored touchdowns in 4 of those drives (26.7% of the time... and even post Tampa game we're 3/12 or 25%). If you compare that to 47 touchdowns in roughly 152 possessions (64 punts, 47 offensive tds, 35 fg attempts, 6 failed fourth downs... which I realize does not include drives that ended with the clock running out, could not find that statistic), we generally score touchdowns 30.9% of the time. So in addition to giving up less sacks we're also doing a better job of overcoming them when we do.

I know it is a small sample (12 vs. 152) but I'm not surprised that we are doing better now. Rodgers has the highest qb rating on third down and has an uncanny ability to convert 3rd and 12-15. The whole team is also doing a better job adjusting to blitz packages. We are no longer seeing guys come completely unblocked like they did earlier in the year. We are also getting the ball out quicker. Whether that adjustment has come from more slants and shallow crossing routes being called, receivers getting open quicker, or Rodgers doing a better job reading the defense pre and postsnap (and I think it's a little bit of all of them), we're not taking as long to get the ball out.

I also find it interesting that the teams we have scored on after giving up a sack (Dallas, Baltimore, and Pittsburgh) are the ones that are the most aggressive and blitz happy of the teams we've played. Teams like that are more likely to get pressure and force a big defensive play, but they're also more susceptible to someone like Jennings or Driver busting a big play on a slant because they've committed so many people.

As it stands, I think we're a very dangerous team and probably the scariest of the wild cards. Our oline will probably give up a couple sacks against anyone we play in the postseason and that is why I'm selling right now, but if our team responds well to the sacks we may very well win in spite of our oline.

edit: bit about scoring against aggressive teams
Born and bred a cheesehead
dfosterf
14 years ago
No women's breasts, but I did take their graphs and make my graph, lol

A "more simpler" thing to look at, same data, but one position, our team, pertinent players...

Left Tackle

UserPostedImage

Right Tackle

UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
dfosterf (8h) : The only problem with that is he isn't a guard either.
dfosterf (9h) : Put him at right guard. That is where he will be coached. That is where he will compete. He is not even allowed to look at the LT playbook.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Kidding aside, I hope the best for him.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Went to a Titans board. One comment there. Not very long. I quote: "LOL" They don't sound overly upset about our aquisition.
beast (18-Apr) : OT Dillard has been absolutely horrible... like OG Newman levels
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Suit him up and have him stand in front of the big board as a draft day cautionary tale.
Zero2Cool (18-Apr) : Packers sign T Andre Dillard.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#×k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
Martha Careful (6-Apr) : Go Boilermakers!!!
Martha Careful (5-Apr) : Diggs has not stepped up in the playoffs and has a high cost
beast (5-Apr) : Probably not going to let Diggs walk away unless he's horrible... but according to reports he also might not be as good as he used to be.
beast (5-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft has been an offensive player since 2017, 2 TE, 2 WR, 1 RB, 1 OC
Mucky Tundra (5-Apr) : Odd, why give up a 2025 2nd Rounder for him if you're just gonna let him walk?
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : Texans to let Diggs be free agent in '25
buckeyepackfan (4-Apr) : 49r's aign RB Patrick Taylor.
Martha Careful (4-Apr) : Reversion to the mean would indicate we will keep it
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : It's also been utilized in a trade in 14 of the past 20 years
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft hasn't been made by it's original holder since 2016.
Mucky Tundra (4-Apr) : Gotta imagine that Green Bay vs Houston will be a primetime game this upcoming season
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : No. Kill QB. No worries. 😁
Mucky Tundra (3-Apr) : Diggs, Collins, Dell and Schultz is gonna be tough to cover
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

22h / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16-Apr / Random Babble / Martha Careful

15-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12-Apr / Random Babble / Nonstopdrivel

12-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.