Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago
A total of 16 teams improved their records this year over last year. Only four teams improved by 5 or more games (Bengals, Chargers, Packers, Saints), and only the Bengals improved by more than 5 games (6). So Thompson should certainly be in the discussion for Executive of the Year. Though I'm guessing preference will be given to division winners Bengals, Chargers, and Saints.
UserPostedImage
Greg C.
14 years ago
I like it that we have playmakers in every position group except OL and maybe RB, although even Ryan Grant has been making big plays in recent weeks, so OL may be the only position group where we don't have a real difference-maker. Ted has proven something that the Steelers and Colts had already proven: You can find plenty of playmakers in the draft, if you draft smart.
blank
Zero2Cool
14 years ago
For me, Ted has to branch out into the Free Agent market just a bit more for me to consider him a 'great' GM. I love what he's done for the most part, don't much like him, but respect what he's doing for the most part. I want to see him spend more than he feels someone is worth a time or two, to get the right guys to put us over the top.

Are we at that stage where we're just a few guys away to be over the top? I think we are damn close to it if not there already.
UserPostedImage
bozz_2006
14 years ago
Anybody out there have the time/motivation to compile a database of the players that the Packers could have realistically hauled in, and see how they're doing now with their new team? That could be interesting. I would say that the FA signings a GM doesn't make could be just as important as the signings he does make.
UserPostedImage
14 years ago

For me, Ted has to branch out into the Free Agent market just a bit more for me to consider him a 'great' GM. I love what he's done for the most part, don't much like him, but respect what he's doing for the most part. I want to see him spend more than he feels someone is worth a time or two, to get the right guys to put us over the top.

Are we at that stage where we're just a few guys away to be over the top? I think we are damn close to it if not there already.

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

Free Agent market? Two words for you... Logan Mankins.

The Patriots have a history of not giving their quality players extensions. They also have Wilfork in the last year of his contract, so they can't franchise tag both of them. He'll be a RFA with the CBA situation, so NE will probably tender him at the highest level. We'd lose a 1st and a 3rd, which I would be ok with if we could get a 1st for Kampman. Imagine the upgrade, going from Colledge to Mankins.
UserPostedImage
14 years ago

Anybody out there have the time/motivation to compile a database of the players that the Packers could have realistically hauled in, and see how they're doing now with their new team? That could be interesting. I would say that the FA signings a GM doesn't make could be just as important as the signings he does make.

"bozz_2006" wrote:

Winner, winner, chicken dinner. +1
dhpackr
14 years ago
Pack looks good, gr8 job tt.
So if you meet me Have some courtesy, Have some sympathy, and some taste
Use all your well-learned politesse, Or I'll lay your soul to waste
warhawk
14 years ago

Pack looks good, gr8 job Ted Thompson.

"dhpackr" wrote:

Not only ARE they good the Packers are set up TO BE GOOD and that to me is what is just as important as turning this year around.

You look around and the Division and Favre won't be around much longer, if he plays beyond this year at all, and Chicago sold their soul losing their 1st and 2nd round picks and having old guys all over the lineup that will have to be replaced soon.

We need to be glad we have Thompson because he is a master at making the moves to keep all the core playes on the team intact and while Clifton and Kampman will probably be gone next year he will use all the resources he has to keep the bulk of the lineup intact.
"The train is leaving the station."
DakotaT
14 years ago

Not only ARE they good the Packers are set up TO BE GOOD and that to me is what is just as important as turning this year around.

"warhawk" wrote:

This is one aspect of the great Tator/Tedaphile ongoing argument that I think gets overlooked. Uncle Ted has built a young deep team which appeases those of us that support him. Whereas the win now crowd want us to go all in every year but what they fail to realize are the costs that go with that. Somewhere there may be a common ground between the philosophies, but I really think you need to have the cupboards full before taking your shot on free agents that may or may not put you over the top.
UserPostedImage
bozz_2006
14 years ago
I don't think approving/disapproving of management is the defining characteristic of whether you're a Packer fan or not. I think what defines you as a Packer fan or non-fan is whether you are glad when they win. I would say if they win a game, and you're not glad about it, then you're not a Packer fan.

For instance, I'm most certainly not a Jarrett Bush fan, but I am glad when his team wins, so I would say that I am a Packer fan. Pretty simple, right?

Nobody's saying the "Ted Haters" aren't Packer fans. But I would say that a "Ted Hater" who cheers for the Vikings is not a Packer fan.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
dfosterf (8h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (15h) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (16h) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (17h) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (20h) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (22h) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (22h) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (22h) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (22h) : Against tbd
dfosterf (22h) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (22h) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (22h) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (22h) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (22h) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (23h) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (23h) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (23h) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (23h) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Hip drop is not. Super confusing. Referees job is harder
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Swivel hip drop is banned
dfosterf (25-Mar) : The hip drop enforcement will be in the form of fines, etc. Not flags
dfosterf (25-Mar) : A major foul will be enforced on the offense if there are offsetting penalties in a change of possession situation
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Teams will receive a 3rd challenge if 1 was successful. Previously, it took 2
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

20h / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.