PackFanWithTwins
14 years ago
I vote for keeping it as is, even if we do get screwed (so to speak) now and then. Take care of division business first and foremost.
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
dfosterf
14 years ago
It does seem like a good idea to change the rules for seeding in the playoffs for the purpose of getting teams to continue to play throughout the regular season. Will it create all perfect scenarios? No. Thing is though, the commish is "hot and heavy" on that issue, and some of the ideas being "bandied about" seem to suck in comparison.

Try and penalize teams for not starting players? Unenforceable. How do you determine the truth?

Reward teams with supplemental draft picks for not "dogging it"? I don't like that idea, either. You really want to give more picks to the likes of the New England Patriots because they didn't sit Tom Brady in week 17?

This seems like a pretty painless way to help solve that "hot" issue. They might consider going "division-heavy" in the scheduling at the end of the season to further assist in keeping the games meaningful at the end of the regular season. In other words, in our instance, we would play non-divisional opponents early in the year, and divisional opponents at the end of the year.

This aspect just might lead to some changes in how the playoff seedings are determined.
buckeyepackfan
14 years ago
I was listening to Mike and Mike the other day anf they had an e-mail from a fan which suggested that the NFL schedule nothing but Divisional games the last 3 weeks of the season.

Not a perfect solution, but teams would probably keep playing because it is a divisional game.

I sure would have like to see The Packers play The Vikings late this year instead of playing them twice in the 1st 7 weeks.
I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
musccy
14 years ago
I see 3 main scenarios

1) as is
2) divisional winner in, but seed off record alone
3) doesn't matter if win division, get into playoffs on record alone

People are upset now, but if we had option 2, then the NEs of the world are mad that SD gets in with 8-8 still, or if you go to option 3, divisonal play is meaningless. You're going to piss off someone no matter what.

The packers got a little hosed this year, but I still don't think the system is too flawed. It's how the other 3 big leagues in the U.S. do things, and someone would have a legitimate gripe no matter what.
Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago
You guys stole my thunder. I was going to propose a divisional round robin at the end of the season. Three weeks of divisional doesn't make much sense, though, because that still leaves one team out. I would propose that the final four weeks be divisional games. The first four divisional games could be played in another block, either at the beginning or in the middle of the season, or distributed randomly through the first half to three-quarters of the season.

The other idea that I have proposed in the past is to determine division champion based on division record, with overall season record being used as a tiebreaker and to determine wild card berths. Give the divisional games real meaning beyond mere rivalry pride. Right now they're of essentially ancillary, symbolic importance at best. A team could conceivably lose every game in the division and still be crowned division winner. That makes no sense to me.
UserPostedImage
buckeyepackfan
14 years ago

You guys stole my thunder. I was going to propose a divisional round robin at the end of the season. Three weeks of divisional doesn't make much sense, though, because that still leaves one team out. I would propose that the final four weeks be divisional games. The first four divisional games could be played in another block, either at the beginning or in the middle of the season, or distributed randomly through the first half to three-quarters of the season.

The other idea that I have proposed in the past is to determine division champion based on division record, with overall season record being used as a tiebreaker and to determine wild card berths. Give the divisional games real meaning beyond mere rivalry pride. Right now they're of essentially ancillary, symbolic importance at best. A team could conceivably lose every game in the division and still be crowned division winner. That makes no sense to me.

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

Not to be an ass or anything :icon_smile: , but there are 4 teams in a division, a round robin would only be 3 games.

6 divisional games each year. I would love to see rnd robins for the divisional teams first 3 weeks of the season and last 3 weeks.
I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago
D'oh. . . . I feel like an idiot now. But yes, I like the round robin idea. Particularly if division championships were determined primarily by division records, as they should be, that would leave playoff seedings in suspense until the very last week in most cases.
UserPostedImage
Greg C.
14 years ago

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

I'm not with you on this one. Under this system, a team could finish 5-11, with all five wins coming against division opponents, and make the playoffs. I can't imagine most people being happy about that. I sure wouldn't.
blank
Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago
Yeah, but a team could finish 10-6, having lost every single division game, and still be crowned divisional champion. That makes no sense either.
UserPostedImage
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
14 years ago
Fairness is a funny thing.

Do we really believe that the best determinant of a team's strength is W/L record when they don't have completely common opponents. It makes sense for a division winner, since the majority of a divisional rival's opponents is the same. But beyond that, I'm not sure.

I mean, if it was just a matter of W/L record, why do we have everyone and their mother going off about "power ratings" and such?

The nice thing about W/L record is that it is an easy number to read. It is not, however, an easy number to interpret. Or rather, it doesn't contain as much information about "what's fair" or "who's best" as people like Vandermause think.

JMO
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
Fan Shout
dfosterf (1h) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (1h) : Yes
Zero2Cool (2h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (4h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (5h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (8h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (9h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (19h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

19h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

20h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.