Stevetarded
14 years ago

I have approximately 50 "ifs" going simultaneously.

We need another safety. We need another cornerback. We are DEAD without a left tackle. We need heat opposite Clay at OLB. Will the Saints want to hold onto Jamaal Brown-Is he going to be healthy? What about Kampy and NO--- They are a 4-3...Can we tag and bag him to them for Jamaal? What about Penn? Tampa is grousing because he's a fat lazy SOB.

Will the Iowa LT be on the board, do we go up to get him? Do I want Brown, and if I do, do I want to keep Cliffy (yes, for a year, along with Tausch) Do I still want a FA LT (yes). Is Lang a RT or a LG. I think LT, but I want to really see if he's a LG. What do I want them to pay to retain Colledge (that inconsistent c#cks...) Why does everyone think Spitz is so friggin' great? Is he any good?

"dfosterf" wrote:

I say if a decent enough FA LT that is young becomes available then go after him. Otherwise resign Cliffy for at least a year and draft a LT in the 1st who wont be forced to start immediately. If a very good player (like Rodgers did) besides something obvious like a QB or WR falls to 23 in the draft take them and get a LT in the 2nd. You aren't going to get a "elite" LT prospect at 23 anyways so the only real option is a guy that probably wont be "start ready" anyways. Use a later pick on a "backup plan" tackle so you have 2 options.

I think we can squeeze another year out of Clifton and give our new LT a chance to learn but even if Clifton falls apart Lang can fill in for a period of time as plan B. I see no reason to not give Tauscher a contract. He played well and that was even after jumping in halfway through the season after having major surgery.

Spitz was awesome when he was at RG he is good at both pass and run blocking and rarely commits penalties. He also was very consistent, I believe he gave up the least amount of sacks of all our lineman in 2008. No reason to let a player like that go. Wells had a good year so get Spitz in at LG and back up C and let Colledge go.

Going into training camp with Clifton-Spitz-Wells-Sitton-Tausch wouldn't upset me with some LT prospects/FA and Lang ready to compete for positions on the line. It also leaves you with some decent depth for once. Unlike Barbre we know all of these starters can play when they are healthy.
blank
PackFanWithTwins
14 years ago

Taylor Mays, Safety out of USC. The dude can play. His 40 time has been clocked at a sub 4.3. Plus the guy can hit. Just imagine having him and Nick Collins roaming back there. Any deep ball would be in danger of getting picked.

"Rockmolder" wrote:

He's an Al Davis player. He looks too much like Roy Williams out there for me to trust him.

"Packers_Finland" wrote:

Exactly what I was thinking. I'd prefer a cover safety. Of course, he has to be able to tackle, but I'd prefer to have a Nick Collins back there, rather than a Roy Williams.

Collins is great in coverage and can tackle quite well. Roy Williams is great at tackling and playing in the box, but I'd rather have Nick Barnett play deep in a cover 2 than him.

"Bigbyfan" wrote:

Barnett needs to work on that part of his game. Coverage over the middle was our biggest weakness. LBers play to shallow and don't drop quick enough.
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
Rockmolder
14 years ago

Taylor Mays, Safety out of USC. The dude can play. His 40 time has been clocked at a sub 4.3. Plus the guy can hit. Just imagine having him and Nick Collins roaming back there. Any deep ball would be in danger of getting picked.

"PackFanWithTwins" wrote:

He's an Al Davis player. He looks too much like Roy Williams out there for me to trust him.

"Rockmolder" wrote:

Exactly what I was thinking. I'd prefer a cover safety. Of course, he has to be able to tackle, but I'd prefer to have a Nick Collins back there, rather than a Roy Williams.

Collins is great in coverage and can tackle quite well. Roy Williams is great at tackling and playing in the box, but I'd rather have Nick Barnett play deep in a cover 2 than him.

"Packers_Finland" wrote:

Barnett needs to work on that part of his game. Coverage over the middle was our biggest weakness. LBers play to shallow and don't drop quick enough.

"Bigbyfan" wrote:

Exactly. So I think that says enough about how much I'd like for us to pick a safety who resembles Roy Williams.
dfosterf
14 years ago

I have approximately 50 "ifs" going simultaneously.

We need another safety. We need another cornerback. We are DEAD without a left tackle. We need heat opposite Clay at OLB. Will the Saints want to hold onto Jamaal Brown-Is he going to be healthy? What about Kampy and NO--- They are a 4-3...Can we tag and bag him to them for Jamaal? What about Penn? Tampa is grousing because he's a fat lazy SOB.

Will the Iowa LT be on the board, do we go up to get him? Do I want Brown, and if I do, do I want to keep Cliffy (yes, for a year, along with Tausch) Do I still want a FA LT (yes). Is Lang a RT or a LG. I think LT, but I want to really see if he's a LG. What do I want them to pay to retain Colledge (that inconsistent c#cks...) Why does everyone think Spitz is so friggin' great? Is he any good?

"Stevetarded" wrote:

I say if a decent enough FA LT that is young becomes available then go after him. Otherwise resign Cliffy for at least a year and draft a LT in the 1st who wont be forced to start immediately. If a very good player (like Rodgers did) besides something obvious like a QB or WR falls to 23 in the draft take them and get a LT in the 2nd. You aren't going to get a "elite" LT prospect at 23 anyways so the only real option is a guy that probably wont be "start ready" anyways. Use a later pick on a "backup plan" tackle so you have 2 options.

I think we can squeeze another year out of Clifton and give our new LT a chance to learn but even if Clifton falls apart Lang can fill in for a period of time as plan B. I see no reason to not give Tauscher a contract. He played well and that was even after jumping in halfway through the season after having major surgery.

Spitz was awesome when he was at RG he is good at both pass and run blocking and rarely commits penalties. He also was very consistent, I believe he gave up the least amount of sacks of all our lineman in 2008. No reason to let a player like that go. Wells had a good year so get Spitz in at LG and back up C and let Colledge go.

Going into training camp with Clifton-Spitz-Wells-Sitton-Tausch wouldn't upset me with some LT prospects/FA and Lang ready to compete for positions on the line. It also leaves you with some decent depth for once. Unlike Barbre we know all of these starters can play when they are healthy.

"dfosterf" wrote:

+1 for attempting to answer some of my rambling, lol

I meant RT on Lang, btw. Mis-posted. I don't think he is an LT. That could be the one thing that is driving me most "nuts". SO MANY think he is. I don't LIKE IT. I lean A LOT towards RT for Lang. I want him pumping steel RFN, btw.

Anyway, I'm going to start rambling again...thanks (again) for addressing some of my paranoia :thumbleft:
ILikeThePackers39
14 years ago

"Rockmolder" wrote:

"Packers_Finland" wrote:

"Bigbyfan" wrote:

Well, we all know I have man love for Mays, but I still think that his coverage issues can be coached out of him, at least for the most part. If the guy's really sub 4.3, he's got recovery speed - he reminds me more of Sean Taylor than Roy Williams. If you think about it, Collins plays some questionable angles himself; and he makes up for it with his speed.

Of course, if he really does have sub-4.3 speed he'll be off the board long before the Pack would have a shot at him, so it's a moot conversation.
blank
Bigbyfan
14 years ago

"ILikeThePackers39" wrote:

"Rockmolder" wrote:

"Packers_Finland" wrote:

Well, we all know I have man love for Mays, but I still think that his coverage issues can be coached out of him, at least for the most part. If the guy's really sub 4.3, he's got recovery speed - he reminds me more of Sean Taylor than Roy Williams. If you think about it, Collins plays some questionable angles himself; and he makes up for it with his speed.

Of course, if he really does have sub-4.3 speed he'll be off the board long before the Pack would have a shot at him, so it's a moot conversation.

"Bigbyfan" wrote:

I know it's way too early, but mock draft having landing around our spot in the draft.

If people don't want Mays, I have no problem taking Jahvid Best. Having him paired with Ryan Grant would pack a nice 1-2 punch.
blank
ILikeThePackers39
14 years ago

"Bigbyfan" wrote:

"ILikeThePackers39" wrote:

"Rockmolder" wrote:

"Packers_Finland" wrote:

I know it's way too early, but mock draft having landing around our spot in the draft.

If people don't want Mays, I have no problem taking Jahvid Best. Having him paired with Ryan Grant would pack a nice 1-2 punch.

"Bigbyfan" wrote:

I'm of the opinion that if he does the combine and his numbers are what they're rumored to be, he'll move back up. He's not getting the same love he did last year, but that has a lot to do with the USC defense not being nearly as good this year as last year. If he pops freakish numbers @ the combine and looks good in the Senior Bowl, he's going to challenge Berry and Thomas on some boards.

Based on what I know at this point (meaning I don't know if he's smart, if he's coachable, etc.), I'd be willing to bet that he could be coached up in terms of his coverage skills, and that speed will help immensely. Plus, you'd be plugging him in to a talented defensive squad and he demonstrated that he can shine in a good group. Given the current forecast, he looks like a great option at a position of need to me if he were somehow to be there. I'm not yet convinced that a LT will be around that isn't a reach at that pick, but I have seen mocks where there were some nice options for a rush LB there, and that's also something they need. I see RB being a position where there'll be some interesting options (McKnight, for one) in later rounds - especially if we're talking about a complementary back.
blank
14 years ago
I've never seen anyone get more than 2 picks correct on a Ted Thompson draft. You have to really consider value on the board and the likelyhood of a trade down.

Ideally Ted gets a quality CB, a quality OT and a backup. A DE, RB, Safety, TE, and a punter with his 8 picks.

The first pick has to be a CB or OT. Best on the board.

Remember the draft is for the future not just current needs.
blank
14 years ago

If we could somehow end up with 3 2nd round picks, I'd be thrilled. Kindle - Carimi - Cox would pretty much make for a dream draft.

"Rockmolder" wrote:

Kindle was my player to scout for the day. I'm on the bandwagon. If he drops to us I hope he's high up on our board (he could potentially skyrocket in these next couple of months).
UserPostedImage
Rockmolder
14 years ago

If we could somehow end up with 3 2nd round picks, I'd be thrilled. Kindle - Carimi - Cox would pretty much make for a dream draft.

"MassPackersFan" wrote:

Kindle was my player to scout for the day. I'm on the bandwagon. If he drops to us I hope he's high up on our board (he could potentially skyrocket in these next couple of months).

"Rockmolder" wrote:

I have to admit, after I made that post, I actually went a little off the bandwagon again. Didn't see him practicing since I was at work, but it's good to hear that he dominated. It's a defensive drill, though, so lets keep that in mind.

Another guy who absolutely dominated was Graham. I had him going at 32 in my mock draft. He's usually a low 1st, 2nd round guy in mock drafts right now. If he keeps going like this, though, he might just come out as one of the best DE/OLBs in this draft. The way it looks now, I'd hardly be dissapointed if we took a shot at him with the 23rd pick.

Most tackles for a loss and resembles Farrior. I would not mind picking him, at all.
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (31m) : Packers sign T Andre Dillard.
Mucky Tundra (15h) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
Mucky Tundra (15h) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
Mucky Tundra (15h) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#×k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
Martha Careful (6-Apr) : Go Boilermakers!!!
Martha Careful (5-Apr) : Diggs has not stepped up in the playoffs and has a high cost
beast (5-Apr) : Probably not going to let Diggs walk away unless he's horrible... but according to reports he also might not be as good as he used to be.
beast (5-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft has been an offensive player since 2017, 2 TE, 2 WR, 1 RB, 1 OC
Mucky Tundra (5-Apr) : Odd, why give up a 2025 2nd Rounder for him if you're just gonna let him walk?
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : Texans to let Diggs be free agent in '25
buckeyepackfan (4-Apr) : 49r's aign RB Patrick Taylor.
Martha Careful (4-Apr) : Reversion to the mean would indicate we will keep it
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : It's also been utilized in a trade in 14 of the past 20 years
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft hasn't been made by it's original holder since 2016.
Mucky Tundra (4-Apr) : Gotta imagine that Green Bay vs Houston will be a primetime game this upcoming season
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : No. Kill QB. No worries. 😁
Mucky Tundra (3-Apr) : Diggs, Collins, Dell and Schultz is gonna be tough to cover
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Stefon Diggs' trade will not be processed as a post-June 1 designation, so that is just over $31 million in dead cap this year.
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Bills trading WR Stefon Diggs to the Texans in exchange for a 2025 2nd-round pick. (via @rapsheet)
beast (3-Apr) : Using Patterson as RB and RB/WR tweener... so I think they also signed Patterson as a 3rd down RB, not just a kick returner as articles are
beast (3-Apr) : I think PFT missed the real Steelers/Patterson connection, Steelers new OC Arthur Smith has been Patterson's head coach the last 3 years
wpr (2-Apr) : It has Martha. I was stunned when I was in HS to learn Iowa was still playing half court BB in the 70's.
Martha Careful (2-Apr) : Caitlin Clark, Angel Reese...women's sports has come a long way. GREAT TO SEE!!
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
34m / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

53m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

13h / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16-Apr / Random Babble / Martha Careful

15-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12-Apr / Random Babble / Nonstopdrivel

12-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.