shield4life
14 years ago
We do need a PR / KR your right.

About Al Harris I'm sure I'm not the only one questioning his value. Not saying he won't play good but how effective to be a starter. He is getting older and injury prone. I wouldn't mind seeing him start but if he does go down again I would want another quality CB in the secondary so we do not get exploited again like yesterday.

We also need a safety ... Bigby is not a play maker, he only wants to nail the players which 3/4 he does miss the tackle.

I agree with your priorities and just add a safety 2.
Glad To Be A Packers Fan.
zombieslayer
14 years ago
Well, Aaron showed yesterday that he is among the elite (in no order) - Favre, Brees, P Manning, Brady, Rivers, Warner. However, Aaron has to deal with the worst OL of the bunch.

He still put up quite a game despite taking a beating all season long.

Our O is elite. Our D is not. I was thinking that with all the takeaways we generate, that we're borderline elite. We're not. We still have to make stops. If the opposing O doesn't turn the ball over, they keep going.

The injury to Al Harris was huge and we saw it yesterday. And what was with all the throws up the middle? They were just killing us up the middle.

It's really a shame. Aaron's first Playoff performance was something like 128 rating. Finley may already be an elite TE. Gregorious had a wonderful day. Grant rises to the occasion and looked really solid. That kid takes it to a new level in the Playoffs. I'm really regretting saying bad things about Grant earlier in the season as he may be the most underrated and underappreciated RBs in the NFL.

We're going to have to spend money in the offseason. We need an OT badly. We need a solid veteran DB badly. This team is pieces away from a title. I feel like it's 1994 or 1995.

One last thing - brilliant job by MM. He called all the right plays.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago

I was thinking that with all the takeaways we generate, that we're borderline elite. We're not. We still have to make stops. If the opposing O doesn't turn the ball over, they keep going.

"zombieslayer" wrote:

I have been saying this since last offseason. All the turnovers look amazing on SportsCenter and on the stats sheet, but they conceal the fundamental flaw that our defense relies on creating turnovers because it struggles to stop teams consistently on second and third down. It irks the hell out of me to watch a defensive back getting dragged across the field as he attempts to strip a ball, instead of driving through the ball carrier and putting him into the turf. As fun as interceptions and forced fumbles may be to watch, I would far rather our defense lead the league in lowest third-down conversion percentage than turnovers. Yesterday alone there was at least one glaring instance in which Woodson could have prevented a first down, but he was so intent on attempting to strip the ball that he failed to slow the ball carrier's momentum.

Focus on tackling first. When you have that down, then worry about stripping the ball and jumping routes.
UserPostedImage
14 years ago
I really don't know what to think about Bigby. He makes the occasional play but I don't know if he has the instincts that we need back there. I'll be keeping an eye on Nate Allen in the 2nd round of the draft.

I think Brad Jones will be a good OLB opposite Matthews after he fills out a bit in the NFL conditioning program. Not worried there, unless we have an opportunity to steal someone for great value.
UserPostedImage
cajed
14 years ago

O-line is a major concern tho I agree we need at least two quality players on this line.

Our top 2 picks should be: CB - O-line

"Dulak" wrote:

remember we should be getting harris back ...

my order priority are
1. KR/PR (nab cribbs please)
2. OL guy
3. Corner
4. ... perhaps a decent safety backup

5. I can see us drafting a QB to train up and compete with flynn

"shield4life" wrote:

I agree for the most part with you guys. I think CB and OT are big needs. Whichever is the better value for picks 1 and 2. A kick returner is needed big time.
Also another OLB if Kampman isn't franchised. He is to good to give up on and I thing his tackling was missed big time. He will get better.
blank
Cuz481
14 years ago
I think we need to draft another safety and get another pass rusher to compliment Matthews on the other side of the ball. I know the O line needs some help but I think it would be great if they could get a Noel Devine or a speedy Harvin like running back to compliment Grant. Having a speedster like that would make the offense set for next year, like how Bradshaw was for the Giants in their Super Bowl run.
blank
Rockmolder
14 years ago

I was thinking that with all the takeaways we generate, that we're borderline elite. We're not. We still have to make stops. If the opposing O doesn't turn the ball over, they keep going.

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

I have been saying this since last offseason. All the turnovers look amazing on SportsCenter and on the stats sheet, but they conceal the fundamental flaw that our defense relies on creating turnovers because it struggles to stop teams consistently on second and third down. It irks the hell out of me to watch a defensive back getting dragged across the field as he attempts to strip a ball, instead of driving through the ball carrier and putting him into the turf. As fun as interceptions and forced fumbles may be to watch, I would far rather our defense lead the league in lowest third-down conversion percentage than turnovers. Yesterday alone there was at least one glaring instance in which Woodson could have prevented a first down, but he was so intent on attempting to strip the ball that he failed to slow the ball carrier's momentum.

Focus on tackling first. When you have that down, then worry about stripping the ball and jumping routes.

"zombieslayer" wrote:

Normally, I'd agree, but we already had one of the most sure footed kickers pretty much in field goal range. And it's not like we'd be able to stop their offense, anyway, if they got another shot at the first down. You have to make something happen there to get the ball back. The face that their kicker missed is just a miracle. And it would've been, as well, if he had to take the kick 5-10 yards deeper.

I think that our future is very rosey. I don't get why everyone is obsessed with getting more corners, though. At least, not as a real priority. We currently have these guys, lined up on how high they are on the depth chart.

Charles Woodson - Al Harris - Tramon Williams - Will Blackmon - Pat Lee - Jarrett Bush - Brandon Underwood - Josh Bell - Trevor Ford.

If you take 3 of the top 5 guys out and still perform the way we did, mostly, you have some depth at corner.

I've read articles about Underwood turning some heads. If we can believe Joe Whitt Jr. he has a great future ahead of him and will be a starter in this league. Tramon has proven that he can start, as well. You usually don't have to spent a high pick in a nickel corner, let alone a future nickel corner.

If anything, we should use the nr. 1 pick to take a playmaker in a year or two when Woodson retires. Right now, you'd just be stockpiling projects, which we have enough off already as it is.

OT is a priority. I love Chad Clifton and, therefore, I think he should call it quits soon. He's been one of the best for a long time, but his body doesn't keep up anymore. Right now, he's absolutely destroying it by trying to keep going.

DE/OLB is a priority, as well. We need a playmaker at that position. Porky hinted at Merriman in another thread. I'd be all for it. I wouldn't mind our first round pick being a player like Hughes either, this year. We could go with a tackle in the second round and have Lang at LT, while Tauscher plays RT. Maybe rotate in Giacomini... He has to be on the roster for some kind of reason, right?
bigfog
14 years ago

It would be nice if we not cut players that produce.

I really think Anthony Smith and Tyrell Sutton would've added new dimensions to our football team. Great teams have many ways to beat you, and both these guys could've done something.

"blueleopard" wrote:

I'm willing to bet that the team was sorely missing Smith when Bigby went out. I know I was. Maybe they can try to sign him again :icon_smile:
"I wouldn't root for the Minnesota Vikings to win a chess match against Nazi Germany."
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
14 years ago
Methinks Thompson's scouting job is relatively easy this year.

Offensive line. Defensive back. Punter/kicker.

I wouldn't spend more than a sixth round pick on any other position.

Because everything else, IMO, is just fine.
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
ILikeThePackers39
14 years ago
O-line has to be a priority, and I'm not against some turnover coaching-wise there and/or special teams. I won't wail and gnash my teeth if that doesn't get done, but I'll be pretty disappointed if there isn't at least an effort to improve the quality of the players - the interior is good, but I can't say I'd cry too much if College was replaced. We do need tackles. We've got a kid who, I think, can get it done on the right side, but something has to be done to replace Clifton, even if he stays around another year. Rodgers has proven that if he's got time the other team doesn't have much of a chance, and Grant has proven (to me, at least) that if he's got a hole he can punch the defense in the mouth. They just need a dependable line - it doesn't have to be great, it just can't suck.

On D, I wouldn't mind seeing some young blood in the secondary. Woody's my man and I'm not worried about him - I also trust that Al will come back and be good. I'd love to see Pat Lee come on and Underwood may round into something special as well, but we're thin at safety and the more fast bodies the better. Jones - I think - will be pretty good once he bulks up some, but I wouldn't cry if they brought someone else in.

There are a few pieces of the puzzle yet to put in place; and I'll state now that I still want to see Thompson get into the FA market more than he has in the past. This team, as has been said, feels like that early 90s squads that were just a few pieces short. Wolfy got those pieces and we saw what happened. I love Ted's drafts, but it would be really nice to see him supplement that with a little proven quality in the spots it's most needed.
blank
Fan Shout
dfosterf (14h) : The only problem with that is he isn't a guard either.
dfosterf (15h) : Put him at right guard. That is where he will be coached. That is where he will compete. He is not even allowed to look at the LT playbook.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Kidding aside, I hope the best for him.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Went to a Titans board. One comment there. Not very long. I quote: "LOL" They don't sound overly upset about our aquisition.
beast (18-Apr) : OT Dillard has been absolutely horrible... like OG Newman levels
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Suit him up and have him stand in front of the big board as a draft day cautionary tale.
Zero2Cool (18-Apr) : Packers sign T Andre Dillard.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#×k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
Martha Careful (6-Apr) : Go Boilermakers!!!
Martha Careful (5-Apr) : Diggs has not stepped up in the playoffs and has a high cost
beast (5-Apr) : Probably not going to let Diggs walk away unless he's horrible... but according to reports he also might not be as good as he used to be.
beast (5-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft has been an offensive player since 2017, 2 TE, 2 WR, 1 RB, 1 OC
Mucky Tundra (5-Apr) : Odd, why give up a 2025 2nd Rounder for him if you're just gonna let him walk?
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : Texans to let Diggs be free agent in '25
buckeyepackfan (4-Apr) : 49r's aign RB Patrick Taylor.
Martha Careful (4-Apr) : Reversion to the mean would indicate we will keep it
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : It's also been utilized in a trade in 14 of the past 20 years
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft hasn't been made by it's original holder since 2016.
Mucky Tundra (4-Apr) : Gotta imagine that Green Bay vs Houston will be a primetime game this upcoming season
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : No. Kill QB. No worries. 😁
Mucky Tundra (3-Apr) : Diggs, Collins, Dell and Schultz is gonna be tough to cover
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

19-Apr / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16-Apr / Random Babble / Martha Careful

15-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12-Apr / Random Babble / Nonstopdrivel

12-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.