Cheesey
14 years ago
Warhawk and Zombie, both are right on. Those QB's had all DAY to find someone open. And we know that spells disaster for us.
UserPostedImage
zombieslayer
14 years ago
So the question becomes, what changes do we do in the offseason to generate more of a pass rush?

These are my ideas:
1) We keep Kampy, but we play a more hybrid 3-4/4-3 where on pass situations, Kampy lines up on the line as a DE
2) If we lose Kampy, then we'll need another solid pass rusher to get sacks. Right now, we got CM3 and that's it. Jenkins was #2 on the team with 4.5. That's not enough. We need more sacks as a team.

So if #2 happens, we need to add some pass rushers via draft or FA. Too much time is killing us.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
warhawk
14 years ago

So the question becomes, what changes do we do in the offseason to generate more of a pass rush?

These are my ideas:
1) We keep Kampy, but we play a more hybrid 3-4/4-3 where on pass situations, Kampy lines up on the line as a DE
2) If we lose Kampy, then we'll need another solid pass rusher to get sacks. Right now, we got CM3 and that's it. Jenkins was #2 on the team with 4.5. That's not enough. We need more sacks as a team.

So if #2 happens, we need to add some pass rushers via draft or FA. Too much time is killing us.

"zombieslayer" wrote:

I don't think Kampman is in the cards. For what it will cost to keep him when he's not really a 3-4 LB I don't see it. The key to the 3-4 is NOT knowing how the rush is going to come and if we put his hand down then the offense knows what's coming.

I think that position and one of the inside LB positions needs to have guys that WILL pressure the QB. Pittsburgh and Baltimore have LB's across the board that get in there whether it's an inside rush, outside, or, both.

I like both Kampman and Hawk but I am just not sure they give us what we need. Not when I see how the LB'rs on other top 3-4 teams get pressure and it certainly doesn't come from just one guy. That's what's been our problem when we play these teams with that crafty QB.

I think part of Capers' problem is he cannot rely on an ILB rush scheme because most ofen it does not produce the pressure right away it has to have and if they do bring it from the inside and it doesn't produce it's pure disaster behind it.
"The train is leaving the station."
PackFanWithTwins
14 years ago
4 big loses, and 4 identically lame defensive game plans. We didn't get to Favre, Ben or Warner. All of them games to me seemed like we dialed the blitzes way back and when we do that, we never get pressure.

I am a live by the sword die by the sword guy. I would rather get beat with aggressive play than being soft. I don't even recall a double A gap blitz against AZ. I know Warner and Favre are great at beating the blitz, well they are pretty good at throwing when they have all day to.

IMO Capers needs to get more creative. Sure the psycho worked 1 week, then it was the same every time it was used.
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
zombieslayer
14 years ago

4 big loses, and 4 identically lame defensive game plans. We didn't get to Favre, Ben or Warner. All of them games to me seemed like we dialed the blitzes way back and when we do that, we never get pressure.

I am a live by the sword die by the sword guy. I would rather get beat with aggressive play than being soft. I don't even recall a double A gap blitz against AZ. I know Warner and Favre are great at beating the blitz, well they are pretty good at throwing when they have all day to.

IMO Capers needs to get more creative. Sure the psycho worked 1 week, then it was the same every time it was used.

"PackFanWithTwins" wrote:

I agree about aggression. I'd rather lose aggressively than passively.

That onside kick in the Cards game was awesome. Kudos to MM. Even if it failed, kudos for that risk.

I'd much rather see a blitz get picked up and us get burned than us rush 3 people, then the QB has 6 seconds and finds an open receiver anyways.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
Cheesey
14 years ago
The on side kicked fooled me, for sure. I think Mike McCarthy KNEW our D couldn't stop them, and HAD to try something. It worked, but our lame D did nothing.

We need better pass defenders. Maybe Harris and Pat Lee will help when they get back.
UserPostedImage
Yared-Yam
14 years ago
Mike "I don't know shit about baseball, but wins are the most important stat for pitchers" Golic and Mike "I'm gay and don't know shit about anything" Greenberg?

Those Mike's? Golic should have a lifetime ban from any broadcast medium and in his stead would be a continuous loop of barfing sounds as a rebuttal to Greenberg.
#7 Ingle Martin Supporter
The voice of REASON
all_about_da_packers
14 years ago

The key to the 3-4 is NOT knowing how the rush is going to come and if we put his hand down then the offense knows what's coming.

"warhawk" wrote:

Warhawk, Zombie, and PFWT... I think you are getting a tad ahead of yourselves.

Warhawk, the key to the 3-4 is stopping the run, first and foremost. If you can't stop the run to save your life, then if you even think about exotic blitzes and the RB gets past the LOS ... you are in a heck of a lot of trouble.

I understand wanting to have exotic blitzes. I want them too. However, you have to walk before you run. I think it is often lost that this team was still in its first year of transition to the 3-4. That is to say, I wonder if Capers really was still learning and getting comfortable with his players. We often here that the players grew confidence in Capers... but what about Capers? Did he himself need a period to get confidence in his players? It seemed like Capers still wasn't totally comfortable with the talent at his disposal... and with players like Bush, Underwood, and to a certain extent Bigby .... you can't necessarily blame him.
The NFL: Where Greg Jennings Happens.
all_about_da_packers
14 years ago

These are my ideas:

"zombieslayer" wrote:

You know, I've been the biggest component of re-signing Kampman. But there are two fronts that need to be covered:

1) Mike McCarthy said this week that the biggest improvement from year 1 to year 2 of a 3-4 switch is the Pass Rush. I have not bothered to research that statement, but I think it is interesting because it implies if we bring the exact same team, results in terms of pass rush will improve. Kampy may well represent such a possible improvement by simply being more used to and comfortable in a 3-4.

2) In terms of blitzes, it is highly unlikely that Capers will blitz 75% of the time. That is to say, he will likely send 4 rushers, with blitzes thrown in occasionally. For a moment, let's assume Kampman is back. Him and Mathews are clearly the top two OLB. If you send Kampman in base package, then you have to drop Mathews. Vice versa is also true. We may end up having to decide between the two, and frankly based on production thus far I'd prefer to send Mathews more so than Kampman.

So then Kampman may not be utilized in doing what he does best: applying pressure on the QB.

Not to say we shouldn't sign Kampy. The fact is that we'll need to evaluate our talent real hard, and figure out what course of direction we want to take. We need the right personnel for this scheme just as much as solid game planning from Capers.
all_about_da_packers
14 years ago

IMO Capers needs to get more creative.

"PackFanWithTwins" wrote:

The more I look back at the Vikings game, the more I think it was a simple matter of growing pains. I understand where Capers was coming from: stopping AP first. I can live with that. The problem is, that once AP was stopped, Capers didn't trust his players to keep Peterson on a leash. Hence, he played run first all the way. Part of that is obviously AP's talent. But at some point, he should have gone after Favre.

Versus the Cards and Steelers, I have to wonder if it was the talent at fault. Specifically, I wonder if the execution was just (really) poor.Perhaps that speaks to a lack of talent suited to Cover 2 (Safety, CB lower on the depth chart like Bush). This may speak to a lack of trust by Capers in his talent... simply because he didn't feel like he had capable talent.

But in terms of telling Capers to get more creative... I have to think he starts utilizing more of his extensive playbook we heard about next year.....
Fan Shout
dfosterf (7h) : Kidding aside, I hope the best for him.
dfosterf (7h) : Went to a Titans board. One comment there. Not very long. I quote: "LOL" They don't sound overly upset about our aquisition.
beast (7h) : OT Dillard has been absolutely horrible... like OG Newman levels
dfosterf (8h) : Suit him up and have him stand in front of the big board as a draft day cautionary tale.
Zero2Cool (9h) : Packers sign T Andre Dillard.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#×k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
Martha Careful (6-Apr) : Go Boilermakers!!!
Martha Careful (5-Apr) : Diggs has not stepped up in the playoffs and has a high cost
beast (5-Apr) : Probably not going to let Diggs walk away unless he's horrible... but according to reports he also might not be as good as he used to be.
beast (5-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft has been an offensive player since 2017, 2 TE, 2 WR, 1 RB, 1 OC
Mucky Tundra (5-Apr) : Odd, why give up a 2025 2nd Rounder for him if you're just gonna let him walk?
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : Texans to let Diggs be free agent in '25
buckeyepackfan (4-Apr) : 49r's aign RB Patrick Taylor.
Martha Careful (4-Apr) : Reversion to the mean would indicate we will keep it
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : It's also been utilized in a trade in 14 of the past 20 years
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft hasn't been made by it's original holder since 2016.
Mucky Tundra (4-Apr) : Gotta imagine that Green Bay vs Houston will be a primetime game this upcoming season
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : No. Kill QB. No worries. 😁
Mucky Tundra (3-Apr) : Diggs, Collins, Dell and Schultz is gonna be tough to cover
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Stefon Diggs' trade will not be processed as a post-June 1 designation, so that is just over $31 million in dead cap this year.
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Bills trading WR Stefon Diggs to the Texans in exchange for a 2025 2nd-round pick. (via @rapsheet)
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
44m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

5h / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

22h / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16-Apr / Random Babble / Martha Careful

15-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12-Apr / Random Babble / Nonstopdrivel

12-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.