Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
14 years ago

Also, I'd be very surprised if Buluga makes it past 17. If he does, I would want Ted Thompson to move up for him. Brown's size still bugs me...I really think we need a bigger boy.

"dfosterf" wrote:

This will sound strange coming from an Iowa alum and Iowa resident, and someone who wants virtually nothing but OL drafted, but I hope the Packers don't go after Bulaga.

Nothing against him personally -- since I've never really seen him play. But for me, Iowa OL are sorta like Florida State DEs...look good in college, but then never get far past the "servicable" level in pros.

Verba, Gallery, and the one who really shaped my view of Iowa OL, "Hold 'em" Ron Hallstrom, who had as many holding penalties as Chad Clifton has false starts.

It's funny. A bit ago I was chastised for suggesting the Packers manuever to get D'Brickashaw Ferguson because they needed interior lineman, etc rather than tackle where Clifton was All-Pro, yadda yadda. And wouldn't we love to have Ferguson in place now.

And now everyone is focused on tackle. Sure, I agree, T is our biggest OL need. But no one says anything about G and C. Pencil Sitton in as a stud. But this team needs more than the rest of its G/C roster. Frankly, I think the need is such that, if there's a stud that's a bit of a rich at 23 or 55, the Packers should be willing to go G or C as well as T.

But no one ever mentions any. Are there absolutely no good interior OL out there this year?

Ted, if you're listening, your draft strategy should be simple: The default is "best OL available."
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
Rockmolder
14 years ago

Tim Tebow should be the Jags pick though, their #1 objective is to sell tickets, and Tebow will do just that.

"Packers_Finland" wrote:

Excellent point.

"Rockmolder" wrote:

I thought about this one, but I think that Tebow will have a horrible Senior Bowl. If he'll put up even half decent stats, I might put him at the nr. 10 spot, but I just don't think he has it in him.

He's a fan favorite over in Florida, but I don't think that Jaguars would spent the 10th overall pick on a player if he's just 3rd round talent. We'll see how that one turns out, though. The Senior Bowl is going to speak volumes.

"IronMan" wrote:

I really think most of these "experts" are underestimating Tebow. I mean, he's not the #1 overall pick type of talent, but he's very accurate, and mobile. Footwork etc. can be fixed by NFL coaches.

"Packers_Finland" wrote:

Well, we'll find out soon enough if he can adapt. The Senior Bowl isn't something I put too much stock in, usually, but with a pro coaching staff and pro offense, we could really learn something about Tebow.

Btw, Dave, I totally forgot your Hawaiian prospect. I already thought that they should go with Okung, but with that guy on the bench and Shanahan leading that thing, I wouldn't go for a QB at ll.
dfosterf
14 years ago

Also, I'd be very surprised if Buluga makes it past 17. If he does, I would want Ted Thompson to move up for him. Brown's size still bugs me...I really think we need a bigger boy.

"Wade" wrote:

This will sound strange coming from an Iowa alum and Iowa resident, and someone who wants virtually nothing but OL drafted, but I hope the Packers don't go after Bulaga.

Nothing against him personally -- since I've never really seen him play. But for me, Iowa OL are sorta like Florida State DEs...look good in college, but then never get far past the "servicable" level in pros.

Verba, Gallery, and the one who really shaped my view of Iowa OL, "Hold 'em" Ron Hallstrom, who had as many holding penalties as Chad Clifton has false starts.

It's funny. A bit ago I was chastised for suggesting the Packers manuever to get D'Brickashaw Ferguson because they needed interior lineman, etc rather than tackle where Clifton was All-Pro, yadda yadda. And wouldn't we love to have Ferguson in place now.

And now everyone is focused on tackle. Sure, I agree, T is our biggest OL need. But no one says anything about G and C. Pencil Sitton in as a stud. But this team needs more than the rest of its G/C roster. Frankly, I think the need is such that, if there's a stud that's a bit of a rich at 23 or 55, the Packers should be willing to go G or C as well as T.

But no one ever mentions any. Are there absolutely no good interior OL out there this year?

Ted, if you're listening, your draft strategy should be simple: The default is "best OL available."

"dfosterf" wrote:

I'm not going to hijack Rock's mock, but since you never seen him play, I thought I'd at least let you see what some say about your hometown boy.

Link 

Bryan Bulaga Scouting Report
Quantcast
Projected Draft Position
by FFToolbox Writers
Raul Colon's 1/20 Mock Draft Round 1: #9 by BUF
Raul Colon's 1/20 Mock Draft Round 1: #13 by SF
Ricky Dimon's 1/18 Mock Draft Round 1: #9 by BUF
Ricky Dimon's 1/18 Mock Draft Round 1: #13 by SF
Randall Weida's 1/12 Mock Draft Round 1: #13 by SF
Randall Weida's 1/12 Mock Draft Round 1: #9 by BUF
Forrest N. Long's 1/11 Mock Draft Round 1: #9 by BUF
Joel Welser's 1/11 Mock Draft Round 1: #9 by BUF
Joel Welser's 1/11 Mock Draft Round 1: #13 by SF
Forrest N. Long's 1/11 Mock Draft Round 1: #13 by SF
Ben Standig's 1/4 Mock Draft Round 1: #13 by SF
Ben Standig's 1/4 Mock Draft Round 1: #9 by BUF
FFToolbox User Mock Drafts
76% used Bryan Bulaga in their first round mock.
The teams most often chosen were:
GB (20%), SF (18%), PIT (10%), SEA (10%)
Position: T
School & Year/Status: Iowa - Junior
Jersey Number: #79
Height & Weight: 6'6 - 312 lbs.
Ranked #11 on our Top 100 Prospects Board

2010 NFL Draft Prospect Scouting Report:
person
Bryan Bulaga, T, Iowa
Bryan Bulaga is the latest in a long line of talented offensive linemen from the University of Iowa. Bulaga began his career at left guard where he started five of the seven games he played in as a freshmen. As a sophomore, he took over at left tackle, starting all 13 of Iowa's games last season. Bulaga has started all five games he's appeared in this season. He missed three games early in the year, but it shouldn't effect his draft status because he was ill, not injured. Bulaga has very quick feet for a big offensive lineman and uses his long arms to ride speed rushers right out of plays. He is not as strong as fellow Big ten linemen Joe Thomas or Jake Long, but he's still very young and has time to develop. Bulaga's run blocking has also improved steadily over the last two seasons. He is no longer satisfied just blocking the man in front of him, he moves on to the next level and tries to get a block on a linebacker as well. The best fit for Bulaga would be on a zone blocking team in the NFL, because of his familiarity with the system. Bulaga and his fellow offensive linemen played an outstanding game against Georgia Tech to end the season, and Bulaga has declared for the 2010 NFL draft. He should be a mid-to-late first round pick, but excellent workouts could push him into the top half of the first round.

As you can see, many have him going much earlier than our 23. The "knock" on him was that illness, not his play. He missed 3 games due to a thyroid condition, this has had some (?scouts?) prognosticators concerned, but apprently the word is that it is treatable. It's hard to argue his merits with the criteria you have set forth. :thumbleft: The other comments I have something to say about as well, but then we are going deep into hijack mode.

One small hijack...

"So, Mrs. Ferguson, what would you like to name this fine young strapping lad?"

[Deep toke from bong]

"Let's roll with D'Brickashaw....f#ckin'-A, D'Brickashaw it is."
ILikeThePackers39
14 years ago
Very nice, and likely quite accurate.

Brown bothers me, somehow - I can't put my finger on it, it's either size or a concern about how badly he wants it. I can envision him crapping out early, while a guy like Gabe Carimi anchors someone else's line for 10+ years. God knows we need a tackle, but I worry about reaching for one in the first when it seems like there are only a couple first round-worthy tackles in this draft.

And I noticed you have Mays available @ 23 and the Pack passing on him - seeing as how he's currently the guy I'm most obsessed with, this disappoints me. :pottytrain2:
blank
porky88
14 years ago
Clausen/Bradford debate is going to be a big one all off-season long. I like Bradford more than Clausen. I think his "smarts" will be the difference maker despite the fact that Clausen has more physical talent.

One thing about Mays people overlook. He's a height-weight-speed guy. He'll test off the charts and I bet he ends up in the top 20.

I think it's a nice first mock draft.
Packers_Finland
14 years ago

I really think most of these "experts" are underestimating Tebow. I mean, he's not the #1 overall pick type of talent, but he's very accurate, and mobile. Footwork etc. can be fixed by NFL coaches.

"TheEngineer" wrote:

Footwork and release, two of the most important things to a QB, are quite lacking in Tebow. I don't see him panning out as a great QB, though of course it's possible. But if he's accurate now, who's to say that changing his throwing technique won't worsen his ability to be a pro QB? It's hard enough learning routes and getting adjusted to the speed of the game.

CBs are going to be jumping his routes all day with that wind up.

"Packers_Finland" wrote:

I agree release is important, but footwork is not the most important part of a QB. I'd say the two most important things are decision-making and accuracy. Release and arm strength are also very important. Footwork is not something that is in the way of a QB from being drafted in the first round (I'm not saying it's irrelevant, just that other factors are more important).
This is a placeholder
digsthepack
14 years ago
Rockmolder!!! Damn you and the hypnotic Hasslehoff panties!
State Motto: "Wisconsin, our serial murderers eat their kill!"
TheEngineer
14 years ago

"Packers_Finland" wrote:

Footwork and release, two of the most important things to a QB, are quite lacking in Tebow. I don't see him panning out as a great QB, though of course it's possible. But if he's accurate now, who's to say that changing his throwing technique won't worsen his ability to be a pro QB? It's hard enough learning routes and getting adjusted to the speed of the game.

CBs are going to be jumping his routes all day with that wind up.

"TheEngineer" wrote:

I agree release is important, but footwork is not the most important part of a QB. I'd say the two most important things are decision-making and accuracy. Release and arm strength are also very important. Footwork is not something that is in the way of a QB from being drafted in the first round (I'm not saying it's irrelevant, just that other factors are more important).

"Packers_Finland" wrote:

Ah, maybe I should have clarified in terms of making all the throws as a QB, release and footwork are where it's at. Tebow, like any college QB, will have to learn decision making, and absolutely to be a QB, you must be quick at making the right throw. But Tebow also has to learn how to actually throw a ball, which compounds his problem. That's what I was trying to say.
blank
Fan Shout
dfosterf (13h) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (14h) : Yes
Zero2Cool (15h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (17h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (18h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (20h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (21h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (28-Mar) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
17m / Around The NFL / Martha Careful

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.