warhawk
14 years ago

I see a lot of people are expecting us to draft a rookie to start but I'm not real big on penciling in ANY rookie as a starter. I wouldn't be ok with any plan that involves putting a rookie in a starting spot on the line automatically.

I want to see Clifton and Tauscher resigned with expectations that they start. Going into training camp/preseason expecting a line like -
Cliffy, Spitz/Lang, Wells/Spitz, Sitton, Tauscher - is much better IMO because you know all of the guys on your line CAN actually play their position. You draft 2 maybe 3 lineman with at least 1 in the first 2 rounds and expect them to play backup.

If the rookies impress and win a starting spot all the better. I just do not want to see a repeat of last season where we are rocking a first time starter (Barbre) at a very important position because we didn't really leave any other option.

"Stevetarded" wrote:

I have always felt that rookies should be brought in slow, however, depending on the position, the higher picks and the first round pick in particular should make contributions early. You pay those guys too much cash to be sitting.

Almost every first round tackle ends up on the field early if not from the start. There may be some rough patches along the way but they play. I thought when the Vikes took Loadhold which I believe was in the 2nd he would not be able to go right away but he actually did a good job for them.

The HIGHEST OL we have picked since back when were Colledge and Clifton in round 2 and they both started right away and GB history shows the 1st round pick either starts right away or ultimately turns out to be a bust (other than QB).

2000-Franks
2001-Reynolds
2002-J. Walker
2003-Barnett
2004-A. Carroll
2005-Rodgers
2006-Hawk
2007-Harrell

In fact, looking at this list, you better HOPE the 1st round pick plays right off the bat because from this list (again other than QB) they either contributed right away or NEVER contributed.

Looking at the 2nd round it can also be said for those players as well.
"The train is leaving the station."
dfosterf
14 years ago
You guys are all rattling around the reasons I want to "overkill" that position. (LT--- I'm one of the ones that think he could play it)

Free agent LT---- I'm good with anyone functional
Re-sign Cliffy--- I can get back to you on that one dependent upon the "who" in step one.
Draft a quality prospect for LT--- This guy has the size, the arm reach, etc. but it wasn't his position, and my biggest concern is this:

I have a totally irrational fear (on the surface, anyway) regarding the Green Bay Packers and Offensive linemen when it comes to the draft.

Bad luck. I want to believe that we are going to be ok at LG with all the options we already have, and maybe this one can step in sooner, rather than later there, or move to LT, or whatever...LT just keeps scaring me by far the most.

Don't discount it, however irrational, especially when talking about our first pick.

If we just had a FA LT that we could all say to ourselves, "Well, he should be better than Cliffy" we could all feel one hell of a lot better about this pick. I would submit that it just might thrill us.

Just like my boy Vladamir has climbed to where he is over valued now (imo) Such is probably the case with this young man. It is now time to re-visit Ciron Black, having fallen to 112 on "my" big board...

Ciron Black as a 4th rounder...(I bet that changes again, GD senior bowl)

From "semi-chalk" to sleeper. Keep sucking Ciron! (In everyone's mind)We're comin' for ya, baby :thumbleft:

"With Green Bay's 5th round (compensatory) pick...they select...Ciron Black."

He might be "very over-rated" etc. I'll take my chances at that spot. :thumbleft: (RT)--(Guard,too) Potential fosterflipoutafter3rd round if not scarfed lol...and the rambling nature of this post is a long way of saying color him gone at 23 (lupati)
Stevetarded
14 years ago

I see a lot of people are expecting us to draft a rookie to start but I'm not real big on penciling in ANY rookie as a starter. I wouldn't be ok with any plan that involves putting a rookie in a starting spot on the line automatically.

I want to see Clifton and Tauscher resigned with expectations that they start. Going into training camp/preseason expecting a line like -
Cliffy, Spitz/Lang, Wells/Spitz, Sitton, Tauscher - is much better IMO because you know all of the guys on your line CAN actually play their position. You draft 2 maybe 3 lineman with at least 1 in the first 2 rounds and expect them to play backup.

If the rookies impress and win a starting spot all the better. I just do not want to see a repeat of last season where we are rocking a first time starter (Barbre) at a very important position because we didn't really leave any other option.

"warhawk" wrote:

I have always felt that rookies should be brought in slow, however, depending on the position, the higher picks and the first round pick in particular should make contributions early. You pay those guys too much cash to be sitting.

Almost every first round tackle ends up on the field early if not from the start. There may be some rough patches along the way but they play. I thought when the Vikes took Loadhold which I believe was in the 2nd he would not be able to go right away but he actually did a good job for them.

The HIGHEST OL we have picked since back when were Colledge and Clifton in round 2 and they both started right away and GB history shows the 1st round pick either starts right away or ultimately turns out to be a bust (other than QB).

2000-Franks
2001-Reynolds
2002-J. Walker
2003-Barnett
2004-A. Carroll
2005-Rodgers
2006-Hawk
2007-Harrell

In fact, looking at this list, you better HOPE the 1st round pick plays right off the bat because from this list (again other than QB) they either contributed right away or NEVER contributed.

Looking at the 2nd round it can also be said for those players as well.

"Stevetarded" wrote:

The point of my post was more to get across the point that I think Clifton and Tauscher need to be resigned and be the designated starters until someone can out play them for their positions. Nothing wrong with HOPING that you get a 1st round pick who can play right away but that doesn't mean it will happen. You go into the season with guys you know can get the job done.

Hell most 1st round QBs get to play right away also but that doesn't mean that's the best way to do things... 🙂 I don't see how any harm at all comes from taking a LT in the 1st round and expecting him improve and learn while you wait for Clifton to fall off/ get hurt/ retire. If you drafted a good player he is not all of a sudden going to be bad because he didn't start the first game of the season.

I am not very fond of your "play right away or bust" theory it doesn't seem very solid to me and most of those drafts you listed weren't even Ted Thompson drafts. I don't think Raji is any less of a player than I did during the draft just because he didn't start or play right off the bat.
blank
dfosterf
14 years ago
He has done too well, fellas.

NFP-- Iupati rising up the draft charts 
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
14 years ago

"dfosterf" wrote:

Not possible.

I may be the only one more radical on the OL plans than you, foster.

I think the Packers should be willing to overpay/trade up in neverending focus on "OL OL OL." Three years from now I want everyone to be saying, "Starters and backups, this is the best OL squad in the NFL. Bar none."

Then, maybe, I'll stop :horse:

Maybe. :thumbleft:
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
dfosterf
14 years ago

"Wade" wrote:

Not possible.

I may be the only one more radical on the OL plans than you, foster.

I think the Packers should be willing to overpay/trade up in neverending focus on "OL OL OL." Three years from now I want everyone to be saying, "Starters and backups, this is the best OL squad in the NFL. Bar none."

Then, maybe, I'll stop :horse:

Maybe. :thumbleft:

"dfosterf" wrote:

We'll get 15 f#cking linebackers, just you watch, lol.

You know I want the best line also.

We are just crazy, that way. I give it a week before some of the posters come in with their annual wide receiver discussion...You know, the guy that will look real good wide-ass open downfield while our QB is picking his pelvis off the turf... Or the RB that would be the shit if only there was a hole, etc.

I don't put a new coat of paint on a rusty old car, either.
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
14 years ago

We'll get 15 f#cking linebackers, just you watch, lol.

You know I want the best line also.

We are just crazy, that way. I give it a week before some of the posters come in with their annual wide receiver discussion...You know, the guy that will look real good wide-ass open downfield while our QB is picking his pelvis off the turf... Or the RB that would be the shit if only there was a hole, etc.

I don't put a new coat of paint on a rusty old car, either.

"dfosterf" wrote:

Hey, then we could specialize in the "inverted Psycho" offense. Six linebackers as blockers, all in two-point stance. Center could hike it standing sideways like we used to do when we were kids instead of that genderbending QB-with-hand-where? thing.

Put it together with ZBS and....er, nevermind.

Chant "OL OL OL" every day.
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
warhawk
14 years ago
Even if they were to sign both Clifton and Tauscher I think they should look to the Oline early in the draft for the future. If the guy is good enough to start great but they need to put some cash in the OT positions instead of relying on late round picks working out.

Taking Lupati would be a pure BPA move and I am not against that but it would not be the move to start putting quality OT's in the equation for down the road. I read some workout notes where they moved this kid to T and he did not show nearly the ability he has at G. Not to say he couldn't transition over time but I think he is a G all the way.

Having what will probably turn out to be a perennial All-Pro OL is never a bad thing but they have to do something other than a 4th or 5th round pick and hope the kid can play LT. If C & T do make it back here they certainly aren't going to go past 2010.

If Lupati and a T like Baluga is still there it will be very interesting.

Ted WILL take this kid if he's the BPA regardless of the need at OT especially if there is not an OT on the board with anywhere near the talent this kid has.
"The train is leaving the station."
dfosterf
14 years ago
If Ted took Lupati over Baluga ...

Slappin' the magazine in the Uzi and headin' northwest. :thumbleft:

yes I'm kiddin'
DakotaT
14 years ago

If Ted took Lupati over Baluga ...

Slappin' the magazine in the Uzi and headin' northwest. :thumbleft:

"dfosterf" wrote:

Great, another drunk guy in Wisconsin with a loaded weapon.

Neither Iupati or Beluga are going to be there so everyone should just pull their panties out of their ass right now. At 23 we take BPA. I actually wouldn't mind seeing a nickel CB or an athletic safety with a Wonderlic Score over 30. Yeah, I know, good luck.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
dfosterf (13h) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (13h) : Yes
Zero2Cool (14h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (16h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (17h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (19h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (20h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (28-Mar) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
8h / Around The NFL / beast

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.