wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
14 years ago

You definitely want to keep Nick Collins around. He's a playmaker in the secondary and this has been two years running now. He can be out of position at times, but he wasn't the one responsible for the Steeler and Cardinal outings. Those teams spread the field and attacked the Packer defense. Collins can only be in so many places at once. He's probably a top ten safety in the league and you don't let a top ten player, whom is still very young, get away.

He is an RFA though so he'll get the highest level tendered which is why he doesn't have be a priority. GB can do a deal with him in the Summer much like they did with Greg Jennings or even Ryan Grant. Remember, Grant was an exclusive rights free agent and the Pack got a deal done with him in August a few years back.

I think the Packers will probably keep most of their guys. It sounds like they want Kampman back too. That's interesting.

I wouldn't get to worked up about it. Tauscher and Green won't get a lot of looks on the open market if any at all. They definitely overvalue Clifton IMO, but I don't see anything wrong with giving him a chance to keep his job.

"porky88" wrote:

I never question your posts Porky. You are a venerated wise sage.
It is true you want to keep a top ten safety. But what if he is a "7 or 8" and wants # "1 or 2" kind of money? Of course he is a RFA which helps. But if he is willing to sit for a while then what?

"wpr" wrote:

It depends on whether or not you think he can develop into a top five player at his position. I think some would argue he already is. He has great range and he's a ballhawk. I thought his run support improved quite a bit this season, so that's encouraging. If you believe in the player and his development, then I think overpaying is fine. It's similar to what they do with draft picks right now. Clay Matthews wasn't worth his contract right away, but now it looks like a bargain.

If you think Collins has peaked right now, then maybe you back off.

I believe Ed Reed will make 7 or 8 million next year. I think you start with that number and work your way down.

I'd lock him up though. I don't think he's the problem in the secondary. I think players like Atari Bigby, Tramon Williams, Jarrett Bush, and the pass rush were more of the problem than Nick Collins. I really feel like he's one of the younger "Packer Foundation" players.

"porky88" wrote:

Excellent point. (Which is why I don't argue with you.) I concede. I was looking at his "ranking" as being static instead of his potential to grow even more.
It is certainly true that Harris and Woodson have gotten even better since they came to GB Nick can too.
UserPostedImage
dfosterf
14 years ago
I can't advocate "locking him up" or not "locking him up" until I have some idea of the costs involved and our ability to pay.

In June I'll have a better idea. If the Pack comes out and says they have a 20 million dollar profit (and having raised ticket prices for this year) for 2009, and have taken care of the contracts that they said they were prioritizing...

Still not out of the woods-paucity of information-wise.

If I don't know that Nick Collins is NOT making outrageous monetary demands, I'm not going to fault my team for making him play under the auspices and restrictions of restricted free agency.

In my opinion, if you are not doing the same, you are being at least as unfair and rigid to the team and this point of view as I might be perceived with this stance.

If you are operating under some assumption that we have plenty of money to "pay the man", I would have to ask what money you are speaking of, and kindly prove it to my satisfaction.

If you are tempted to cite our salary in comparison to other teams, or possibly our dollar amount under last year's cap- please don't, if the plan is to try and persuade me.

Every indication thus far is in keeping with my perception on the matter.

We had an indication that Nick was unhappy at his 3 + million dollar figure, to the point that a mini-holdout occurred. To somehow praise him for not doing a full-fledged holdout (I have heard that mentioned) as an indication that he is now somehow entitled to some special consideration because he HONORED HIS CONTRACT with a huge escalator, well, that is a pretty low standard, imo.

We have 12 other issues going on simultaneously, and some of those issues have the potential to be extremely expensive. For example, Clifton makes a hell of a lot of money, and he will be an unrestricted free agent.

You just cannot take each individual situation and place it in some sort of isolated "thread vacuum" and come to any conclusions. Like I said previously, as yet another example, another set of members here have us paying Kampy top 5 money in a "tag" scenario. Not only are they low by about a million in their assumption by using 2009 franchise number, they might be low (note I said might be, because this is going to open up a can of worms if it comes to pass) his agent might raise hell that he is a DE, not a linebacker...why? Tack on about one MORE million.

For me this is a by-product of the fiasco. How can this possibly relate to that, one might ask...

"Tightwad Ted"

People drink that Kool-Aid.

I'll drink it when they double the ticket prices and we don't have to worry about the financial ramifications as much.

He is as tight as he has to be, and if you don't get it, it is because you don't want to, imo.

Right now, a top revenue team would have over 100 million dollars more than we do to address this exact situation.

The very bottom revenue team in the league would have about 24 million less than us. It is easy to see how tough it would be for them. I only ask that you look at how easy it is in comparison for a top revenue team before casting aspersions and wondering why these things are a little tougher to do here in GB than we would all like. (Revenue differentials based on 2008 numbers-latest available) I don't like dicking around with numbers, but I like to know the why, not just the what. This is not a rant, it's a plea.

I found something interesting over at PFT last week. Florio (or one of his cohorts) mentioned as a preface to something about us (the Packers and their fans) --

They said they love reading our local papers. They said they love to read them because of both the media and fan involvement with the minutia of our team, far more so than any other team. I had to laugh. I found the thought that we are "well represented" in the comments section of the JSOnline or the GBP Gazette very sad, indeed.

I only ask that everyone that wants to lock up Collins now make damn sure they know why the Green Bay Packers opted out of the Collective Bargaining Agreement...For starters... At least then I will know you have come to the discussion table having at least looked at some of the financial reality. Again, not a rant, a plea. A plea mostly because I know so many that want this done so badly - now-- are in fact fair-minded and intelligent.

Instead of looking at what Nick did or didn't do in those two games, I'm looking for news about the hearing that occurred this week regarding the legality of the NFL yanking back the supplemental revenue sharing. Why should I give a shit about that? You know, the one (our--as in rooting for that financial abomination with deep pockets might move to LA losing tall $$$ team)Nick laughs at me about for caring about?

How about 12 million dollars in "Nick Collins money" on the line?

OK OK- I re-read it. It's a rant. Forgive me, you know how I get, lol sorry, carry on.
DakotaT
14 years ago
I want ticket prices at Lambeau tripled and season tickets put in lotteries.

Then I could make an annual trip to Mecca, make a vacation out of it, and not have to sit in the end zone. I would have a chance to pick better seats.

It is a about me dammit. You inheriters make me ill on this issue.
UserPostedImage
buckeyepackfan
14 years ago
Found these notes on KFFL, looks like Ted does realize the importance of Clifton and Tauscher, just having them on the team is a plus for the other linemen.

Interesting coach changes also.

Packers | Thompson would like to re-sign Clifton, Tauscher
Fri, 29 Jan 2010 07:41:11 -0800

Updating a previous report, Greg A. Bedard, of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, reports Green Bay Packers general manager Ted Thompson said he would like to re-sign impending free-agent OTs Chad Clifton and Mark Tauscher.

Packers | Thompson believes Lang can play LT
Fri, 29 Jan 2010 07:30:24 -0800

Greg A. Bedard, of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, reports Green Bay Packers general manager Ted Thompson said he believes OT T.J. Lang can play at left tackle but needs to learn a few things.

Packers | Alter duties on coaching staff
Thu, 28 Jan 2010 19:26:17 -0800

Pete Dougherty, of the Green Bay Press-Gazette, reports Green Bay Packers head coach Mike McCarthy has altered the duties of several assistant coaches, but he will not make any changes in his coaching personnel. Strength and conditioning coaches Mark Lovat and Dave Redding will switch positions, with Lovat becoming the coordinator and Redding his assistant. Special teams assistant Curtis Fuller will move to a coaching and administrative position where he will primarily work with the defense. Coaching administrator Chad Morton will become the assistant special teams coach.
I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
14 years ago

Then I could make an annual trip to Mecca, make a vacation out of it, and not have to sit in the end zone. I would have a chance to pick better seats.

"DakotaT" wrote:

I did not inherit. I stood in line from when I was 18 until I was 40.

What I could do is let you pay me $150 a ticket (that is not triple rates) and then you can see games a year. Wait I have end zone seats never mind.
UserPostedImage
dfosterf
14 years ago
I was wrong about those franchise numbers. I said linebackers probably 1 million more this year than last year, and Defensive Ends probably 2 million more than linebackers got in '09.

Looks like 1.4 million more for line backers and 4 million more (from that 8.3 rattled about in other thread, which was accurate---for '09) for DE's.

jesus.

Franchise and transition tag numbers 
porky88
14 years ago
What is considered outrageous by demands? Is it making more than Ed Reed or is it making six million a year? I think Collins is worth six million a year give or take. That's almost doubling his current contract. You really think he's that greedy? If the Packers are willing to pay him between 5.5M and 6.5M a year for the next three years, I'm willing to bet he signs that. For a quality safety that is young and has potential, that's fair for both sides IMO.

Remember, Darren Sharper is an unrestricted free agent at the end of the year I believe. Maybe I'm wrong on that. Still, I think the Saints will probably try to get him locked up for two or three years and that's another deal GB can work around or use. I suppose the Saints could franchise him though.

My point is I don't think anyone is going to mistake Collins for Sharper and Reed, including Collins and his agent.
sunflower100
14 years ago

I'm hoping some of those Ted Thompson comments are him playing the "never reveal your real plans, maximize the misinformation you create" approach of Ron Wolf.

Ok, I know Foster has posted statistics that Tauscher was below where we would want our starting RT to be. But the notion that Clifton is priority #2 whereas Tauscher might be left out in the cold just seems silly. I mean the line looked like crap, and Clifton in particular looked like crap, until Tauscher got in game shape. Yes Clifton is a LT, but at this point he offers even less than Tauscher does. This makes no sense.

And the notion that Breno, who couldn't even make the active roster when we were starting that sieve of a line with Barbre et al, is a big part of his plans for next year. ARGH!!!!!!!!!

It better be misinformation, Ted, or PH is going to hear a lot of ranting from this member in the months ahead.

"Wade" wrote:

For the record I do think the Packers should resign Tauscher. The reason though the Packers probably want to resign Clifton next is because he has more precieved value then a RT.

Whether the Packer fans like it or not, Clifton could get pursued harder then they think.

For example, the Bears have no high draft picks. They signed Orlando Pace and he ended the season injured. The Bears might be desperate enough to offer Clifton a big pay day. Thompson probably has less competition to resign Tauscher.
blank
sunflower100
14 years ago

I will say one more thing that has me more than a little nervous about those comments.

[Ted Thompson-hating Favre fiasco devotees, kindly hide your eyes at this point]

Ted don't say much, but when he does, he don't bullshit. I would really like some of those comments to in fact be bullshit, and this is ---again---making me nervous, real nervous.

"dfosterf" wrote:

The Packers have always drafted olinemen at least in the middle rounds. Ted Thompson always seems to draft at least one olinemen in the 4th/5th rounds. So the Packers will likely at least have one draft pick to compete with for the RT position. Nobody knows yet what position the Packers will likely draft first.
blank
DakotaT
14 years ago

"wpr" wrote:

I did not inherit. I stood in line from when I was 18 until I was 40.

What I could do is let you pay me $150 a ticket (that is not triple rates) and then you can see games a year. Wait I have end zone seats never mind.

"DakotaT" wrote:

Hell I'd $500 a piece for 50 yard line seate 15 rows up. My point isn't to punish those of you that have the tickets, but to complain that some of us can't get them cause they are locked up tighter than Fort Knox. Don't Packer fans outside of Brown County deserve to go see a game too? And as long as ticket prices are really low, we have no chance at them.

Does standing in line mean your name was on a list?
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
dfosterf (10h) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (10h) : Yes
Zero2Cool (11h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (14h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (14h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (17h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (18h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (28-Mar) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
5h / Around The NFL / beast

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.