porky88
14 years ago

Here is the problem with a Merriman type to me... it isn't clear cut that he will ever be the player he flashed as.. so risk number one.

Risk number two is he is going to want and probably demand big money... if he doesn't get it he probably becomes a negative influence.

So you either deal with the negative or pay him..

Pay him, it is going to be a premium money.. much like the risk of Peppers shifting position, you don't throw money at a high risk return if possible.. the only place you get trapped in that game is early in the draft currently.

And there is a reason that is being worked on.

If Merriman agreed to either a heavy incentive laden deal or a prove it year before paying him premium money.. so be it.. I would be more in favor of it..

But do you really think he will be realistic in his contract demands or not throw a fit if he doesn't get that up front?

I personally don't... which makes him too much of a risk to throw a premium pick and lots of cash at.

Furthermore... his impact year is four years removed.. granted one was lost to injury.

We have a developing Jones and Obiozor on the roster.. both that this staff raves about.

I would rather have our efforts go towards shoring up the safety and oline positions before we chase ghosts of the past... unless they come cheap.

Just my opinion.

"pack93z" wrote:

The staff also raved about Allen Barbre and Breno G. Sometimes a 6th round pick is a 6th round pick. Sometimes a 7th round pick is a 7th round pick.

Everything you said was said about Randy Moss in 07 and Charles Woodson in 06. To me it's all about the medical staff. If they say he's ok, I think you have to take a risk. There are no free agent left tackle out there that is better than Clifton quite frankly. There are two reliable safeties. One was a backup last year.

You can give Merriman a big deal in name only. Teams do it all the time. Player signs for five years 35M and in reality the deal is three years and 22.5M with a 5M roster bonus due in the 4th year. Then the players get cut or you restructure.
go.pack.go.
14 years ago
Honestly, I don't see how people are saying that his best days are behind him...he is only 25 years old. He hasn't even hit his prime yet!
UserPostedImage
Dulak
14 years ago
forget him - we need a solid KR/PR guy ... another solid corner, figure out whom will play safety if one of ours goes down ... and a Dline man in the works ... oh and most of all need to figure out our Oline ...

no more 50+ sack season
Rockmolder
14 years ago

forget him - we need a solid KR/PR guy ... another solid corner, figure out whom will play safety if one of ours goes down ... and a Dline man in the works ... oh and most of all need to figure out our Oline ...

no more 50+ sack season

"Dulak" wrote:

I'd rate our need for a DE/OLB as high as that for an OT.

We don't have a pure rusher at that position. Our FO thought we had one in Kampman, but I still don't think that he'll be any good this year. Matthews is a great off-set OLB. A player who could play OLB in a 4-3, as well. We need a guy that would play DE in a 4-3. Brandon Graham, for instance.

Maybe Thompson will still become that guy, but I doubt that.

I've been lobbying for Merriman for a while now. I think that he'd be the perfect addition to this team. I don't think that he's done. He had a horrible injury and had a down year after that. If anything, that should work in our favor as his trade value should be down.

Just think of how much better a defense instantly becomes when they can get pressure with just 4 people. It's the difference between the 2008 and the 2007 Packers. The 2007 Giants and the 2009 Giants. With our D-line and Shawne Merriman's rushing skills, we shouldn't have to blitz all that often. And if we do, think how deadly our rush will be with Matthews and Merriman coming off the edges, while Jenkins, Pickett and Jolly play the D-line.

That'd be absolutely amazing.

I wouldn't mind a guy like Brandon Graham, either, though, but if you can get this guy for a 3rd and 4th, or a 2nd if we have to, I'd be all for it.
Yerko
14 years ago
I think him being from a "big city team" wouldn't be much of a factor for him if we were to pursue him. I wonder how much he would mesh with a guy like Nick Barnett....since Barnett tweeted about him.
UserPostedImage
Pack93z
14 years ago
My point here is simple.. in Porky's realistic senario above, we would be playing him 7 mil/yr on the chance that he still has it..

He was always a one dimensional player that depended more on speed than anything.. can he regain that?

IMO, it isn't the type of gamble you invest 7mil/yr on.

Again.. if he would accept a humble contract up front to prove that he can recapture the flame.. so be it.. if not, let the Skin's of the world sink their money in.

IMO, that isn't the cure for the Cards issue.. experienced smart play in the secondary is... they packaged a game plan to exploit the Packers physical play.. which forced Capers to adjust.

Making those adjustments with young fresh faced to the defense defenders caused enough confusion the Warner had receivers open all over the place. The types of holes that for the majority of plays that made pressure almost impossible to apply.

There was a pattern set all season with this defense... unless they could be physical with the receivers they struggled to cover well..

Want an honest opinion.. until we couple two safeties in the secondary that play intelligent ball... we will continue that trend. IMO, we don't have the answer at safety on this club.. and IMO, that is just as important as any Merriman type addition to this defense.

That and growth from some of the young corners or sprinkle in veteran players that can play in space.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
bozz_2006
14 years ago
I agree with the things you've said here 93z, but an assumption that I have is that we won't need to call on our #6 CB to basically be a full-time player next year. I think that will help us. And I'm with you on the issues at safety. Collins is fine. Not great. Not even real good. Fine. But everyone else we've seen in the last 3 seasons have been no good.
UserPostedImage
Dulak
14 years ago

no more 50+ sack season

"Rockmolder" wrote:

I'd rate our need for a DE/OLB as high as that for an OT.

We don't have a pure rusher at that position. Our FO thought we had one in Kampman, but I still don't think that he'll be any good this year. Matthews is a great off-set OLB. A player who could play OLB in a 4-3, as well. We need a guy that would play DE in a 4-3. Brandon Graham, for instance.

Maybe Thompson will still become that guy, but I doubt that.

I've been lobbying for Merriman for a while now. I think that he'd be the perfect addition to this team. I don't think that he's done. He had a horrible injury and had a down year after that. If anything, that should work in our favor as his trade value should be down.

Just think of how much better a defense instantly becomes when they can get pressure with just 4 people. It's the difference between the 2008 and the 2007 Packers. The 2007 Giants and the 2009 Giants. With our D-line and Shawne Merriman's rushing skills, we shouldn't have to blitz all that often. And if we do, think how deadly our rush will be with Matthews and Merriman coming off the edges, while Jenkins, Pickett and Jolly play the D-line.

That'd be absolutely amazing.

I wouldn't mind a guy like Brandon Graham, either, though, but if you can get this guy for a 3rd and 4th, or a 2nd if we have to, I'd be all for it.

"Dulak" wrote:

Rock how come you are mentioning a 4-3 when obviously we are running a 3-4 for x years ... and why do we need another OLB when we are probably going to dish out huge $ for kampman again (and ya I agree I'd rather skip on kampman and take someone better suited) - kampman better as a DE IMO then a OLB.

And then we just had our rookie ROLB get nominated to the pro bowl - #1 for his sack amount ie a guy that rushes the passer.

Now not saying merriman isnt any good - but we are stacked with ILB ie barnett/hawk/chillar/bishop it appears we are keeping all of them in rotation.

IMO our weakest link was doms playcalling when it came to rushing the passer, and then our coverage of our DBs.

On offense it doesnt take much to see we had too many sacks this year. No complaints about anything our other players did; first 1/2 of the year grant blew but it appeared Mike McCarthy worked on some plays and things got a little better (still rather have a different back thou). But whatever ...
bozz_2006
14 years ago
just because thompson said he'd offer kamp a contract doesn't mean it'll be huge money.
UserPostedImage
porky88
14 years ago
I don't disagree with pack93's thoughts on what the Packers need.

However, I think it's much easier to find the 3rd or 4th corner and a SS safety via the first three rounds of the draft than it is a pass rusher. I'm aware of the success Matthews has had, but the market is slim to none at corner, offensive tackle, and safety. If you're going to make a run at a player, then pass rusher makes the most sense when you look at whats out there.

Plus, pass rush is the key to Dom Capers' scheme. Always has been and always will be. If GB can't get a consistent pass rush, then the defense will be just as vulnerable to the pass as it is now, even if they lined up the best secondary in football. I think Shawn Merrimen upgrades this defense a heck of a lot more than Tyrone Carter does. Doesn't mean I wouldn't go for a Carter like SS this off-season (I'd go for both), but I think you do as much as possible to get a deal done as long as it's reasonable. To get a pass rusher, you're going to have to pay.

The days where you can bring a Sean Jones in for a decent deal are gone. The market is different now. To get talent, you have to pay. 7M a year for Merrimen is fairly conservative actually. A 2nd round pick is pretty fair. You pair Merrimen and Matthews, with the Packers' defensive line, and offenses will have trouble matching up with that.
Fan Shout
dfosterf (10h) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (10h) : Yes
Zero2Cool (11h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (13h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (14h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (17h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (18h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (28-Mar) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
5h / Around The NFL / beast

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.