RajiRoar
14 years ago
im up in the air between Porter and Merriman, if we could land either one for a decent price i'd be happy.

any upgrade to the roster makes me happy. and I dont think 1 guy can cause that much trouble, as long as he isnt suspended and hurtin the team i dont care what they do.

MintBaconDrivel
Dec, 11, 2012 - FOREVER!
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
14 years ago
Okay, I'm on record on saying I want Ted to take a more risky approach in the non-draft part of the offseason. So I can't really complain if he decides to get Porter.

But personally, I think Porter's days are behind him. And with the exception of quarterback, I think it's better having more than one guy who can take serious reps regularly. And given that, Porter would worry me a bit: it's one thing to complain about reps if you're clearly the best option on every play; but it's another if you've got solid players there who can also perform.

I"m going to get in trouble with this analogy but here goes: if I have a choice between a raw recruit and Audie Murphy, I want Audie Murphy. But if I have a choice between a platoon of experienced Marines and Audie Murphy, I want the Marines.
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
British
14 years ago

How the hell is he a douche? Aside from Clay Matthews, he'd already be the best OLB on the team.

If you were the best linebacker on your team, and the coach wanted to sit you in favor of a player who simply had upside and no defined skill, you wouldn't be mad?

You're paid millions of dollars to play. That's exactly what Porter was expecting. Instead, coach benches him.

He didn't complain when Pittsburgh didn't re-sign him because he knew James Harrison was good. Cameron Wake is good, but nowhere in the league of Joey Porter--that's why he was upset.

I'd rather have a player upset about his playing time than a player upset about his money.

"blueleopard" wrote:

He's paid millions by the team, the least he can do is do what his employer tells him to do.

With the money we already have tied up at the position I don't see us putting another huge salary there, especially for a guy who's on the decline, was cut by an inferior team and has questionable character.

If a player is linked to the Bills then we shouldn't be interested.
UserPostedImage
blueleopard
14 years ago

Not to mention he talks mad shit about almost every team he plays every week.

"coltonja" wrote:

what he said. No way do I want him here. My older brother is a Dolfan and he was rjoicing to see this guy go. A mediocre player plus a huge ego and attitude problem, no thanks

"doddpower" wrote:

A player who just came off a Pro Bowl year is mediocre. Okay. I wonder what that makes all our linebackers whose name isn't Clay Matthews?

So what if he talks mad shit about other teams? He has a passion for competition. I'm sorry, but in this modern age of football, not all the good players are the ones who shut up and do their jobs. Chris Johnson talks mad shit all the time, but he's the best running back in the NFL. Darren Sharper did a lot of it, but he's arguably been putting up hall of fame stats for years. He makes mistakes, but everyone in the league does.

And being afraid of someone because of being a character issue means you have no confidence in our coaching staff. If someone is a character issue on our team, then that only shows how crappy our coaching staff is for not keeping the man in check.

I know the odds of a Porter signing are extremely slim, but the empty pride some of you have literally makes me sick.

"Hey, that guy is one of the best at what he does, but I don't want him because he acts like every other person in the world!"

Gimme a break.
Danreb Victorio A Believer of Greg Jennings
bozz_2006
14 years ago
Should we try and sign T.O., too? It's not "empty pride", as you put it. It's not a matter of principle or anything like that. The guy's an absolute prick, and I don't want him messing up my favorite team.
UserPostedImage
go.pack.go.
14 years ago
You see this is the problem....people complain about Ted Thompson not going out and getting big name free agents, but when it is brought to subject that we are interested, sometimes we don't want them because they aren't "packer people".

Damn, it's not like you're going to get a saint every time you go sign a F/A. Sometimes you have to get the player that will help your team get to the superbowl and deal with how they act. It's not like Joey Porter causes problems off the field, he just gets in the heads of opponents by talking trash. I don't see any problem in that. I like his attitude.
UserPostedImage
dhazer
14 years ago
I remember getting a certain player back in our super bowl season, that was known as a trouble maker but he helped the team win it all. Remember the likes of Andre Rison and hell even Howard wasn't a so called packer type.
Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be 🙂 (PS, Zero should charge for this)
UserPostedImage
bozz_2006
14 years ago
It's not a question of whether or not he's a "Packer Person". I feel like Kampman is a Packer Person; he's nice to everyone. And he plays well for us. I feel like we also have quite a few non-Packer People. Guys like Al Harris, Josh Sitton, and Nick Barnett all do there fair share of jawing back and forth with the opposing team. The difference between these guys and Joey Porter is that Porter is a polarizing figure in the huddle and in the locker room. He causes problems for his own team because of his immature and selfish behavior. That's what I don't want. I could care less if the guy talks shit 24/7, but when he starts dragging his team down, like Porter has done on both the NFL teams he has played on, I don't want the Packers to be the third.
UserPostedImage
porky88
14 years ago

I remember getting a certain player back in our super bowl season, that was known as a trouble maker but he helped the team win it all. Remember the likes of Andre Rison and hell even Howard wasn't a so called packer type.

"dhazer" wrote:

Eugene Robinson wasn't an angel either. I highly doubt going from Green Bay to Atlanta is what changed him. People would be surprised to see what kind of a person some of the players are in their lives.

Porter has won a Super Bowl before so the idea that he would do harm to the team on the field seems wrong. If he adds eight or nine sacks, that's a nice figure to have opposite of Clay Matthews.

Still, I'm mixed on him. He's always rubbed me the wrong way. He seems high maintenance. If he can't play on running downs, he shouldn't be playing on those downs and that's basically why he's gone from Miami right now. If he's a liability against the run, I may pass even if he does add eight or nine sacks. KGB was the same player I recall.

I think this is a locker room that can handle Porter, but I wouldn't pay big time cash for him like I would some of the other names I've mentioned in other threads. Peppers or Merrimen to be specific.
bozz_2006
14 years ago
I don't want Porter for the same reason I wouldn't want T.O. Can our locker room handle a guy like that? Probably. But I don't think he adds enough to the team to be worth having to handle.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
dfosterf (9h) : Kidding aside, I hope the best for him.
dfosterf (9h) : Went to a Titans board. One comment there. Not very long. I quote: "LOL" They don't sound overly upset about our aquisition.
beast (9h) : OT Dillard has been absolutely horrible... like OG Newman levels
dfosterf (10h) : Suit him up and have him stand in front of the big board as a draft day cautionary tale.
Zero2Cool (10h) : Packers sign T Andre Dillard.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#×k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
Martha Careful (6-Apr) : Go Boilermakers!!!
Martha Careful (5-Apr) : Diggs has not stepped up in the playoffs and has a high cost
beast (5-Apr) : Probably not going to let Diggs walk away unless he's horrible... but according to reports he also might not be as good as he used to be.
beast (5-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft has been an offensive player since 2017, 2 TE, 2 WR, 1 RB, 1 OC
Mucky Tundra (5-Apr) : Odd, why give up a 2025 2nd Rounder for him if you're just gonna let him walk?
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : Texans to let Diggs be free agent in '25
buckeyepackfan (4-Apr) : 49r's aign RB Patrick Taylor.
Martha Careful (4-Apr) : Reversion to the mean would indicate we will keep it
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : It's also been utilized in a trade in 14 of the past 20 years
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft hasn't been made by it's original holder since 2016.
Mucky Tundra (4-Apr) : Gotta imagine that Green Bay vs Houston will be a primetime game this upcoming season
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : No. Kill QB. No worries. 😁
Mucky Tundra (3-Apr) : Diggs, Collins, Dell and Schultz is gonna be tough to cover
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Stefon Diggs' trade will not be processed as a post-June 1 designation, so that is just over $31 million in dead cap this year.
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Bills trading WR Stefon Diggs to the Texans in exchange for a 2025 2nd-round pick. (via @rapsheet)
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

6h / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16-Apr / Random Babble / Martha Careful

15-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12-Apr / Random Babble / Nonstopdrivel

12-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.