dfosterf
14 years ago
:horse: :eyeslam: :horse: :eyeslam: :horse: :eyeslam: :horse: :eyeslam: :sign5:
DakotaT
14 years ago
I'm with Warhawk on this one, Lang is not our LT of the future. But he sure would look nice at guard paired up with Sitton. I'm praying Giacommini pans out at RT down the road, but for now we should go with the old guys at tackle, and draft two o-lineman. Why play Lang at LT so he can be adequate, when you could make him a damn good left guard.

I actually think we have bigger problems in the secondary.
UserPostedImage
Rockmolder
14 years ago

Everybody seems to know his weight, his arm length, and other measurables at the combine.

How the fuck did they get those at the combine when he wasn't even

AT THE FRIGGIN' COMBINE.....

lol lol lol

Sorry, but sometimes I gotta point this kinda shit out.

This isn't a rag on you Warhawk, because I also happen to know that when you search for those measurables, many of the "hits" will say something about "combine results" or some-such...(plus he DOES have short arms for a LT)

Which brings us to my MAJOR point...

Some want to trust our franchise QB to a guy that wasn't even deemed good enough to get an invite to the combine.

He has been surprisingly good for a rook. Hell, he was able to play with the rest of our suck-ass line most of the season.

I proclaim blind green and gold homerism, coupled with wishful thinking, if this is the caliber and pedigree that we should now trust at LT.

"dfosterf" wrote:

Jason Peters didn't get invited to the combine, either. Or Tauscher, for that matter.

Look at this little write-up.

Draft Scout Snapshot: 2008: All-Mid American Conference first-team and Super Sleeper Team selection by The NFL Draft Report, adding second-team All-MAC honors from the league's coaches...Earned the Harold E. Sponberg Award, given annually to the top down lineman scholar-athlete...Lined up at left offensive tackle, coming up with 86 knockdowns, 11 touchdown-resulting blocks and nine downfield blocks, grading 83.08% for blocking consistency...Penalized three times and handled a reception for a four-yard loss (turned the ball over on a fumble) while also making a solo tackle...Allowed 4.5 quarterback sacks and three pressures on 499 pass plays...Helped the team rank 20th in the nation and third in the MAC in passing (269.33 yards per game) and 25th in the major college ranks in total offense (417.5 yards per game)...Career: As an offensive lineman, Lang started 26 games at left tackle and 10 on the right side, producing 243 knockdowns and 28 touchdown-resulting blocks...Over his final two seasons, he recorded 21 touchdown-resulting blocks, 169 knockdowns and 17 downfield blocks, grading 81.67% for blocking consistency...Allowed seven quarterback sacks and nine pressures on 860 pass plays...For his career, he collected 16 tackles (eight solos) with an assisted stop for a 3-yard loss and blocked a pair of kicks.

I know, lesser competition, etc. etc. Point is, he's been good throughout his career. The measurables are what's "holding him back". Just like they held Brees back from being a first rounder.

I'm not saying that he's good enough to take over at LT. I'd like to see him at the right side, as well. Take some guy in the draft. Preferably first round.

The problem is, he's the best we have atm. Let's be real, even if Clifton comes back, Lang will most likely be playing/starting in 8 games, due to Chad being injured.

It's the only upside off this situation. We're bad enough to give him the chance to start. If he proves that he can hold off some good guys, we've lucked into a steal at LT. If he can't, I think that he'll be good enough to man the right side.
Pack93z
14 years ago
Okay I looked this up before.. here is my quote.. per draft scouting records.. Arm length isn't and instant issue...

Previous thread here... 

Joe Thomas  has 32.5" arms

TJ Lang .. 32.75 arms.. BTW... he weighted.. 316... lol.

Anyone want to argue that Thomas isn't a franchise left tackle?

British.. this isn't directed towards anyone in particular.. but other than prototypical height.. I don't see another weakness.. especially after watching him at this level.

My point here is that technique wise, I see no glaring weakness.. needs polish.

I really want someone to find and explain what I am missing in the kid.

With that said.. if you get a blue chip prospect sitting on the draft board staring you in the face next season.. take him.. but I wouldn't reach for one with Lang on the roster. I am convinced after studying Lang after the draft.. Lang could line up anywhere on the line.

"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Pack93z
14 years ago
My only point... is we are not hostage to having to resign Clifton at any price nor are we in a position that we have to reach to draft a tackle..

Has Lang proven he can play the LT flawlessly.. nope.. but neither has any rookie incoming.. blue chipper or not.

At the end of the day.. what most have been saying is the Ted has to make sure he has some proven options along critical spots and not just "we thinks"..

All I am saying with Lang.. is I have confidence that he could fill the bill if push came to shove.. meaning Clifton or another veteran proven left tackle isn't on the roster come fall.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
dfosterf
14 years ago

Okay I looked this up before.. here is my quote.. per draft scouting records.. Arm length isn't and instant issue...

Previous thread here... 

Joe Thomas  has 32.5" arms

TJ Lang .. 32.75 arms.. BTW... he weighted.. 316... lol.

Anyone want to argue that Thomas isn't a franchise left tackle?

British.. this isn't directed towards anyone in particular.. but other than prototypical height.. I don't see another weakness.. especially after watching him at this level.

My point here is that technique wise, I see no glaring weakness.. needs polish.

I really want someone to find and explain what I am missing in the kid.

With that said.. if you get a blue chip prospect sitting on the draft board staring you in the face next season.. take him.. but I wouldn't reach for one with Lang on the roster. I am convinced after studying Lang after the draft.. Lang could line up anywhere on the line.

"pack93z" wrote:

UserPostedImage

:tongue3:

I think it WILL be a "hostage situation" regarding Cliffy...

Let's say you were the Bills, as a good example.

Chances are decent that even Jamon Meredith is going to be their starting right tackle next year, for some perspective on how rugged it is there...

Cliffy is unrestricted, and so is ...

Mike Gandy of the Cards?

Who else? Gandy sucks ass, imo. I'd take Cliffy in a NY second over Gandy. We are screwed. Now I want to move up in the draft to get a LT, or figure out a way to extract either one of those LT's from NO---somehow...it would be Jamaal Brown in my personal miracle. That has just GOT to be looked at hard.
warhawk
14 years ago
The bottom line is if we lose Clifton we end up in the same boat on that side that we saw last year at RT. No proven player there and hoping the guy can do the job.

I would love for Lang to step up and show he can play that position. I just don't want that to end being a MUST case scenario. With Clifton back for another year it would take the pressure off.

The majority of really good OLT's go early in the draft. Joe Thomas went early in the draft. We have not been in a position to go after a top LT for years nor has there been an overriding need to select a OT there.

The best I could give Lang in getting it done at this point is 50-50. I don't like those odds. He did so-so at LT and playing there full time I am sure he would be BETTER but what we don't know is whether or not his better is good enough or not.

It's not so much of a knock on the kid as it is we got burned playing it this way before and are setting this up for the possibility of it happening again.

You have to play the "what if" scenario out and if Clifton is gone and Lang is the option WHAT IF that doesn't work out? It could happen. Lang has not yet shown that he IS the Man there yet.

The answer is it would be devastating and what makes it so problematic is the lack of depth or options at that point to correct it. IMO a very scary proposition.
"The train is leaving the station."
dfosterf
14 years ago

The bottom line is if we lose Clifton we end up in the same boat on that side that we saw last year at RT. No proven player there and hoping the guy can do the job.

I would love for Lang to step up and show he can play that position. I just don't want that to end being a MUST case scenario. With Clifton back for another year it would take the pressure off.

The majority of really good OLT's go early in the draft. Joe Thomas went early in the draft. We have not been in a position to go after a top LT for years nor has there been an overriding need to select a OT there.

The best I could give Lang in getting it done at this point is 50-50. I don't like those odds. He did so-so at LT and playing there full time I am sure he would be BETTER but what we don't know is whether or not his better is good enough or not.

It's not so much of a knock on the kid as it is we got burned playing it this way before and are setting this up for the possibility of it happening again.

You have to play the "what if" scenario out and if Clifton is gone and Lang is the option WHAT IF that doesn't work out? It could happen. Lang has not yet shown that he IS the Man there yet.

The answer is it would be devastating and what makes it so problematic is the lack of depth or options at that point to correct it. IMO a very scary proposition.

"warhawk" wrote:

+1

And I would add the additional variable created due to having NO REAL GOOD REASON to TRUST this staff in making such projections and evaluations, which for me personally, is the largest factor in my "skepticism" regarding Lang.

I ---- as in ME---am 90% sure Lang can play RT, and I feel pretty good about him at LG as well.

This staff does not deserve my vote of confidence in making the inductive logical leap... Not THIS zealot... They burned me before...

How does it go? Fool me once, shame on yada yada yada
yooperfan
14 years ago
This thread has been one of the most entertaining ever!
My prediction is: we will see more musical chairs on the O-line next year due to age, injuries and lack of depth.
There will not be an NFL ready left tackle on the board at #23 and round and round we go.
Five years of poor drafting on the o-line will continue to haunt this team for years to come.
Fan Shout
dfosterf (7h) : The only problem with that is he isn't a guard either.
dfosterf (8h) : Put him at right guard. That is where he will be coached. That is where he will compete. He is not even allowed to look at the LT playbook.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Kidding aside, I hope the best for him.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Went to a Titans board. One comment there. Not very long. I quote: "LOL" They don't sound overly upset about our aquisition.
beast (18-Apr) : OT Dillard has been absolutely horrible... like OG Newman levels
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Suit him up and have him stand in front of the big board as a draft day cautionary tale.
Zero2Cool (18-Apr) : Packers sign T Andre Dillard.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#×k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
Martha Careful (6-Apr) : Go Boilermakers!!!
Martha Careful (5-Apr) : Diggs has not stepped up in the playoffs and has a high cost
beast (5-Apr) : Probably not going to let Diggs walk away unless he's horrible... but according to reports he also might not be as good as he used to be.
beast (5-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft has been an offensive player since 2017, 2 TE, 2 WR, 1 RB, 1 OC
Mucky Tundra (5-Apr) : Odd, why give up a 2025 2nd Rounder for him if you're just gonna let him walk?
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : Texans to let Diggs be free agent in '25
buckeyepackfan (4-Apr) : 49r's aign RB Patrick Taylor.
Martha Careful (4-Apr) : Reversion to the mean would indicate we will keep it
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : It's also been utilized in a trade in 14 of the past 20 years
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft hasn't been made by it's original holder since 2016.
Mucky Tundra (4-Apr) : Gotta imagine that Green Bay vs Houston will be a primetime game this upcoming season
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : No. Kill QB. No worries. 😁
Mucky Tundra (3-Apr) : Diggs, Collins, Dell and Schultz is gonna be tough to cover
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

22h / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16-Apr / Random Babble / Martha Careful

15-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12-Apr / Random Babble / Nonstopdrivel

12-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.