Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago

Tebow in NFC North context 
March, 2, 2010

By Kevin Seifert

UserPostedImage

It wasn't my turn to cover the scouting combine this year. My Blog Network colleagues kept you apprised of the daily news, and the fellows over at Scouts Inc. broke down the actual workouts as they occurred.

Even from afar, however, it was hard not to see the NFC North connotations to the biggest story of the combine: The transition of Florida quarterback Tim Tebow to the pro game. I'm not ready to suggest Tebow is headed our way, but I think he could do a lot worse than ending up in any number of our cities.

Given the near-constant flow of Tebow-related questions you send to the mailbag portal, I thought he would be a worthy topic for our featured post of the week. In brief: We have one team in Green Bay that already demonstrated success in tweaking the mechanics of a successful college quarterback, and we have another in Minnesota that employs Tebow's favorite receiver.

Before we get to the Packers, Vikings and even the Lions, let's make sure you're updated on Tebow's combine performance. Although he is saving his passing workout for a March 17 pro day, Tebow did produce a 38.5-inch vertical leap -- tying a combine record for quarterbacks. He also ran the 40-yard dash in 4.72 seconds. The showing mostly confirmed what we already know: Tebow is an elite athlete for the position whose aptitude as a pro passer remains a mystery.

Team 	    Analysis 	                                               Draft Probability
Chicago	    The presence of Jay Cutler and the transition to Mike      Low
            Martz's passing offense make developing a quarterback 
            a minor priority. 	
Detroit	    Matthew Stafford is the Lions' starter of the present      Medium
            and future, but offensive coordinator Scott Linehan is 
            well-known for his work with young quarterbacks. 	
Green Bay   Head coach Mike McCarthy and quarterbacks coach Tom        Medium
            Clements did excellent work with Aaron Rodgers, and 
            McCarthy said at the combine he would "love" to coach 
            Tebow. 	
Minnesota   Tebow's teammate at Florida, receiver Percy Harvin,        Medium
            is already in Minnesota. 	

NFC North: Where Tim Tebow might land

Florida quarterback Tim Tebow is working to refine his throwing motion. Will he play QB or some other position in the NFL? Let's assess his chances of landing in the NFC North.

Speaking Monday, ESPN draft analyst Todd McShay said nothing happened at the combine to alter his original view on Tebow as a secondary prospect who shouldn't be drafted higher than the third round next month. Tebow's elite college career forged a romanticized view of his pro prospects, McShay said on ESPN Radio's "Mike & Mike in the Morning."

"It's funny because there are so many people that are trying to talk the positives on Tim Tebow," McShay said. "I understand because there are so many positives as a college player, and physically when you watch him in a setting like this. ... But then they follow up and say, 'As much as I love him, he's still a third-round pick.'

"The bottom line is that he's just not an elite prospect and has so much room to grow. As great as he's been [at the combine] and as good as his interviews have gone, ultimately his skill set is a mid-rounder at best as a passer. We've all moved him up in our minds because of intangibles."

Yet it is those intangibles that had Packers coach Mike McCarthy and even general manager Ted Thompson expressing what I believe to be honestly glowing assessments of Tebow's potential. Remember, McCarthy and Packers quarterbacks coach Tom Clements provided the modern template for developing a young quarterback prospect during two years with Aaron Rodgers. Among the improvements they made was smoothing out Rodgers' throwing motion, now considered one of the prettiest (and most successful) in the NFL.

According to my colleagues who attended the combine interview sessions, McCarthy admitted he doesn't know enough about Tebow to make a full evaluation yet. But, McCarthy said, "I would definitely love to coach him."

McCarthy added: "I think the guy's a winner, just the way he plays the game. I know a lot's being said about his mechanics. Just the way he approaches the game of football, I think he'll do everything he needs to do to improve. But you look for football players. And his record in college, I think, speaks for itself. But I'd love the opportunity to work with a Tim Tebow."

Thompson, meanwhile, said Tebow's college success should merit more credibility than it seems to in public discussions.

"Based on his history," Thompson said, "I think that would be a little bit premature to start criticizing him and doubting his ability to play. He's been playing at a pretty high level for quite some time. Has to go down as one of the great college football players of all time, so let's don't sell him short just yet."

We all know better than to read into what any NFL official says about the draft. As the old saying goes: If they're not lying, then they're not talking. (Actually, I just made that up. But it sounds old and sage-like.)

What it does suggest, however, is that Tebow's ideal landing spot is a place like Green Bay that includes an established starter and a quarterback-friendly coaching staff with proven developmental success.

The Vikings haven't had much success developing quarterbacks -- see Jackson, Tarvaris -- but coach Brad Childress acknowledged he is drawn to Tebow's competitive spirit. Trust me when I tell you coaches revere the so-called "intangible" qualities of a quarterback as much as they do his ability to throw. If a strong arm was the only qualification for NFL success, Ryan Leaf would still be starting.

"I just think he's been -- taking everything else aside -- as good a competitor as I've seen," Childress said. "I've heard about his leadership skills and abilities. But he's as good a competitor as I've seen on the football field, and he competes in a different way and plays a physically-natured game."

In Minnesota, you would assume Tebow would have at least one year to develop behind starter Brett Favre, who seems more likely to play in 2010 than he does to retire. Regardless, I think Tebow would have the luxury of watching from the sideline for at least one year if he ends up in Minnesota.

Again, I'm not suggesting the Vikings will use a draft choice on Tebow, even with the presence of ex-Florida receiver Percy Harvin. But if he does land in Minnesota, Tebow has a better than average chance of developing into a legitimate player.

In fact, I wouldn't rule out Detroit as a positive environment for Tebow -- mostly because of the presence of offensive coordinator Scott Linehan, who will double as the Lions' quarterbacks coach in 2010. Linehan excelled in that role while working with Daunte Culpepper in Minnesota from 2003-04, and Tebow would be in good hands with him as well.

Should the Lions use a draft choice on a developmental quarterback? Given their needs across the board, the presence of young starter Matthew Stafford and coach Jim Schwartz's desire to have a veteran backup, Tebow might be a luxury the Lions can't afford.

But if I were going to draw up an NFC North motto for him, it would go something like this: "The Black and Blue: Tim Tebow could do a lot worse than here."

Ok, I'm off to my second job as an advertising copy writer.

UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
dfosterf (8h) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (8h) : Yes
Zero2Cool (9h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (11h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (12h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (15h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (16h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (28-Mar) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
3h / Around The NFL / beast

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.