doddpower
14 years ago
I definitely agree that he's not worth 7 million a year but c'mon. Are we really going to depend on a rookie to start at left tackle??? That truly sounds like a terrible plan to me unless we have every intention of trading up.

I hope we at least sign some kind of LT that can half-way play because the whole having no LT thing at the moment is pretty nerve wrecking.

PS: I have a question. I know foster doesn't think this is a good idea but considering our circumstances hear me out. All we heard about for years was how Colledge was our Left Tackle of the future. Yes, he was horrible when thrown to the dogs after no preparation last season. However, does anyone think he might be a stop gap LT option with a FULL off-season to prepare? I still think he has more potential at tackle then he does guard, even if that's not saying much.

Just something I've been thinking about. I mean, we need SOME kind of option.
bozz_2006
14 years ago
Gaither maybe. I imagine what would be more probably is re-signing Tausch to play RT and sticking Lang at LT this season. And look hard for an LT of the future. I really like Thompson and McCarthy, but playing musical chairs for our o-linemen is tough for me to handle.
UserPostedImage
dhazer
14 years ago
Packers | Offered Clifton nearly $5 million a year
Comment (0) Tweet me!
Thu, 04 Mar 2010 22:43:47 -0800

Jason Cole, of Yahoo! Sports, reports the Green Bay Packers have offered free-agent OT Chad Clifton (Packers) approximately $5 million a year. Clifton is hoping for somewhere closer to $7 million per season with at least $20 million in the first three years of any deal.

http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl#ixzz0hJQ2Rn4j 
Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be 🙂 (PS, Zero should charge for this)
UserPostedImage
Pack93z
14 years ago

Comment (0) Tweet me!

Jason Cole, of Yahoo! Sports, reports the Green Bay Packers have offered free-agent OT Chad Clifton (Packers) approximately $5 million a year. Clifton is hoping for somewhere closer to $7 million per season with at least $20 million in the first three years of any deal.

"dhazer" wrote:

At that kind of money for that duration.. I stand behind Thompson.. let Clifton walk if someone is willing to write that check.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
doddpower
14 years ago

Comment (0) Tweet me!

"pack93z" wrote:

At that kind of money for that duration.. I stand behind Thompson.. let Clifton walk if someone is willing to write that check.

"dhazer" wrote:

I agree. It's obvious that his main focus at this point is getting his last payday. I would have imagined $5 million a year would have been enough to keep him in Green Bay. That's lame.

Hopefully he doesn't get what he wishes for. $5 million is more then enough for his services.
Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago
So they don't want him all that badly. Excellent. I don't want to see him in green and gold this year -- I didn't want to see him in green and gold last year. Unlike a lot of people on this board, I'm a big proponent of the "hire-slow-fire-fast" philosophy. I'd far rather take the risk of getting one less year of serviceable performance out of him than one extra year of poor performance. People like to point out that he's anchored the line for x of the Packers' last y games. That's irrelevant as far as I'm concerned. The fact is that his rate of missed time is accelerating and he's become less than reliable. The recent trends aren't good, and that's what we need to be concerned with. How many times must he hobble off the field, forcing our coaches to play yet another dangerous round of musical chairs, before fans realize it's time to move on?
UserPostedImage
doddpower
14 years ago

So they don't want him all that badly. Excellent. I don't want to see him in green and gold this year -- I didn't want to see him in green and gold last year. Unlike a lot of people on this board, I'm a big proponent of the "hire-slow-fire-fast" philosophy. I'd far rather take the risk of getting one less year of serviceable performance out of him than one extra year of poor performance. People like to point out that he's anchored the line for x of the Packers; last y games. That's irrelevant as far as I'm concerned. The fact is that his rate of missed time is accelerating and he's become less than reliable. The recent trends aren't good, and that's what we need to be concerned with. How many times must he hobble off the field, forcing our coaches to play yet another dangerous round of musical chairs, before fans realize it's time to move on?

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

I don't think anyone here thinks that's it's not time to move on and find a long term answer. However, many of us are just wondering what the short / long term answer may be without Clifton around. I imagine some kind of move will be made but if Chad leaves, we hardly have a left tackle. It's probably better to have a serviceable left tackle then none at all. Once again, the idea of expecting a rookie to come in an instantly start scares me.

I'm sure some moves will be made soon to sure up the position, but it's still a bit intimidating at the moment.
Pack93z
14 years ago
Clifton signing with the Skins will help us.. it will allow Washington to not focus on a tackle in the draft.. allowing another option to slide in the draft...

Cliffy wants his retirement check to be signed today.. that is fine.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Rockmolder
14 years ago

http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/article/20100304/PKR01/100304145/1058/Big-push-to-hold-onto-LT-Chad-Clifton

I understand the need for a LT, but just because Clifton is the best FA LT doesn't mean Green Bay should go and WAY overspend to keep him, especially with his injury history. Take that money and target a younger RFA instead.

"RaiderPride" wrote:

OK Clifton started what? 12 games last year.

Injury History? Last time I looked he started 138 out of 143 games for the Packers over a ten year career. Ten Years of commitment to the Green and Gold has to count for something.

How does a team over pay for that type of long term commitment. I would consider it a bonus, and have the confidence that he can get the job done and pay him for it.

If the Packers were willing to give 20 Million Dollars for a self centered soon to be traitor for a long term marketing deal when he retired for the second time... They can surley have confidence in a solid vet and pay Clifton so he can retire a Packer with a well earned ring.

I think Clifton's injuries are not going to continue on in 2010

"RainX" wrote:

I think that they will.

It's these last few years that matter. Not his entire career. He's been pretty durable in his career, but after getting hit by Sapp, not even knowing if he could walk again, his legs and knees have been failing him.

I don't think that we're going to get a whole lot more than 10 games a season out of him. Maybe he'll line up in 13 games, but he'll miss enough time outside of those.

Now I'd love to have him back, but I'm not too dissapointed if he isn't. He's one of our best O-linemen on the roster, but he's not worth the $7 million. Next to that, this'll force our FO to get a replacement. They can't go with a 6th rounder now. They'll have to find someone who can protect Rodgers.

Maybe this is a positive in the long run.
dfosterf
14 years ago
Ted is going to have to go hat in hand if he wants Balt's LT now.

He will be waiting at the secretary's desk, she will try and wipe the smug smirk off her face, there will be raucous laughter coming from the GM's office as soon as she announces that Mr. Thompson from the Green Bay Packers is there....

He'll walk in, the room will be packed (for entertainment value)

"So, Ted, I hear you are in the market for a little protection for your franchise quarterback."

Ted---

"Err, ya, we were thinking that we might be interested in that Jared Gaither guy you got just lying around."

More raucous laughter.
Fan Shout
Mucky Tundra (23h) : Based on Gutes comments, now I don't feel as silly having 13 picks in my mock the other day
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Zach Wilson to Broncos.
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Gutekunst says he'd love to have 13 or 14 picks. He's trading back huh lol
beast (22-Apr) : Someday we'll have a draft betting scandal
beast (21-Apr) : Sometimes looking extremely amazing, sometimes looking extremely lost
beast (21-Apr) : I haven't looked into the QBs, but some have suggested Maye has some of the most extremely inconsistent tape they've seen
beast (21-Apr) : Well it also sounds like Patriots are listening to trade offers, not that seriously considering any, but listening means they aren't locked
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Maye needs to be AFC
Mucky Tundra (21-Apr) : Not liking the idea of the Vikings getting Maye
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Vikings HC joked that he may or may not have sent flowers to Bob Kraft. That's where rumor came from.
beast (21-Apr) : Can't tell if this is real or BS, but some rumors about a possible Patriots/Vikings trade for #3 overall
dfosterf (21-Apr) : One playbook to my knowledge. I was shooting for facetious.
beast (20-Apr) : I'm not sure they have different playbooks for different OL positions, and Dillard run blocking is supposedly worse than his pass blocking..
dfosterf (19-Apr) : The only problem with that is he isn't a guard either.
dfosterf (19-Apr) : Put him at right guard. That is where he will be coached. That is where he will compete. He is not even allowed to look at the LT playbook.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Kidding aside, I hope the best for him.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Went to a Titans board. One comment there. Not very long. I quote: "LOL" They don't sound overly upset about our aquisition.
beast (18-Apr) : OT Dillard has been absolutely horrible... like OG Newman levels
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Suit him up and have him stand in front of the big board as a draft day cautionary tale.
Zero2Cool (18-Apr) : Packers sign T Andre Dillard.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#×k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
19h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

22-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

21-Apr / Fantasy Sports Talk / dfosterf

21-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

19-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

19-Apr / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16-Apr / Random Babble / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.