doddpower
14 years ago

http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/article/20100304/PKR01/100304145/1058/Big-push-to-hold-onto-LT-Chad-Clifton

I understand the need for a LT, but just because Clifton is the best FA LT doesn't mean Green Bay should go and WAY overspend to keep him, especially with his injury history. Take that money and target a younger RFA instead.

"Rockmolder" wrote:

OK Clifton started what? 12 games last year.

Injury History? Last time I looked he started 138 out of 143 games for the Packers over a ten year career. Ten Years of commitment to the Green and Gold has to count for something.

How does a team over pay for that type of long term commitment. I would consider it a bonus, and have the confidence that he can get the job done and pay him for it.

If the Packers were willing to give 20 Million Dollars for a self centered soon to be traitor for a long term marketing deal when he retired for the second time... They can surley have confidence in a solid vet and pay Clifton so he can retire a Packer with a well earned ring.

I think Clifton's injuries are not going to continue on in 2010

"RaiderPride" wrote:

I think that they will.

It's these last few years that matter. Not his entire career. He's been pretty durable in his career, but after getting hit by Sapp, not even knowing if he could walk again, his legs and knees have been failing him.

I don't think that we're going to get a whole lot more than 10 games a season out of him. Maybe he'll line up in 13 games, but he'll miss enough time outside of those.

Now I'd love to have him back, but I'm not too dissapointed if he isn't. He's one of our best O-linemen on the roster, but he's not worth the $7 million. Next to that, this'll force our FO to get a replacement. They can't go with a 6th rounder now. They'll have to find someone who can protect Rodgers.

Maybe this is a positive in the long run.

"RainX" wrote:

I agree it could be more positive in the long run, because some kind of answer must be found immediately. However, it just makes me wonder about the short term. Will a rookie be effective this year? Perhaps in a year or two but what about in the mean time? See what I mean. Getting our long term answer might not solve our short term answer.

Let's just hope it does!
Pack93z
14 years ago
I said it earlier and I will repeat it now.. we have Lang whom in my opinion can handle the spot talent wise for the interim... maybe even long term.

The kid has the footwork, leverage and hand skills to do alright there IMO if they let him focus on it...

Draft your prototypical left tackle type and let them compete for the spot.. I don't see this as a cause for extreme panic.. but they will have to address the right side.. and that would be Tauscher for a 2 year deal.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
dfosterf
14 years ago
"Ted, before we begin this discussion in earnest, I was just wondering if you would be so kind as to drop your trou, bend over, and let us get a real good look at the strength of your position in these negotiations."

"Yes, sir."

:tongue3:
Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago
I think the Packers are better without Clifton, in that they can't rely upon him as a crutch but must come up with some innovative strategies.

As for those saying we should fork over the mega-bucks for loyalty reasons, may I point out that if we don't meet his demands, he'll simply take his services elsewhere -- as well he should. These men on both sides of the negotiation table are businessmen, not amateurs, and they all know that. It's not about loyalty, it's about business. As well it should be.
UserPostedImage
Yerko
14 years ago
I'm to the point of saying let Clifton go, but it is tough because at the moment the Packers don't really have an answer at left tackle other than him. But can he be marked as THE answer with the current string of injuries?

If the Redskins are really offering him that money, I wouldn't be surprised if the papers are already signed. Matching that can be just as much as a negative though as letting him go. At the moment, the Packers really don't know what they can get out of him if they keep him.
UserPostedImage
Pack93z
14 years ago
One of the other factors in this...before we close the book on Cliffy in GB is that fact that Clifton loves GB.. he is a low key type of guy.. so the more I think about it.. it is going to have to be a considerably better deal in Washington for him to ink there.

If they want to write the check and Chad is thinking security over the quite life.. then so be it.

5 Million to stay in isn't chump change though.. we I believe where fair in that offer.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
doddpower
14 years ago

One of the other factors in this...before we close the book on Cliffy in GB is that fact that Clifton loves GB.. he is a low key type of guy.. so the more I think about it.. it is going to have to be a considerably better deal in Washington for him to ink there.

If they want to write the check and Chad is thinking security over the quite life.. then so be it.

5 Million to stay in isn't chump change though.. we I believe where fair in that offer.

"pack93z" wrote:

I would say that's being more then fair, especially for a 3 year deal. I imagined more of a two year offer with about 3-5 million a year.
beast
14 years ago

I said it earlier and I will repeat it now.. we have Lang whom in my opinion can handle the spot talent wise for the interim... maybe even long term.

The kid has the footwork, leverage and hand skills to do alright there IMO if they let him focus on it...

Draft your prototypical left tackle type and let them compete for the spot.. I don't see this as a cause for extreme panic.. but they will have to address the right side.. and that would be Tauscher for a 2 year deal.

"pack93z" wrote:

That's what I've been saying... keep him at LT and resign Tausher. If they ever get a better LT then move Lang to LG or RT.
UserPostedImage
British
14 years ago
At the age of 33 I think 'quality of life' is less of a factor. He probably knows he's only got 2-3 years left and this is his last pay day.

If he loves Green Bay so much he can move back there in 3 years and stay for the rest of his life after he's taken $20+ million off Dan Synder.

He's not choosing where he's going to be living for the next decade here, it's a short term gig and then he's done.

The only thing stopping him may be the fact Green Bay provide a better shot at a SB ring.
UserPostedImage
dfosterf
14 years ago
When the Redskins cut ten players yesterday, it reminded me of the tsunami pre-cursor where the water heads out to sea before coming rushing back to inundate the shore, except this tsunami is made of money. Peppers going to Chicago first probably has Boy Wonder throwing a temper tantrum.

I figured Cliffy at over 7.5 mil. a year. It will be interesting to me to see what the number is.

I said this will be the year of the overpaid lineman. I have no problem with Ted not going to that level with Cliffy. The only thing he is good for is keeping Rodgers healthy, relative to the other options as I see them presently. All those holds and false starts were aggravating, but I felt like this was an experienced left tackle making every effort to protect his QB's blind-side when he had lost the physical tools to do it without gaining an edge in those match-ups. Call it the "cagey veteran" factor.

That is a very expensive way to go about the business of left tackle in a football game, and I did NOT want Cliffy as a starter on this team next year. I wanted him as that very expensive-game-wise insurance, coupled with his mentoring duties.

Redskins need a right tackle and some guards too. So does Buffalo.

I really hope (semi-tongue-in-cheek-entertain-my fellow-posters-with-the-doom-and-gloom-hand-wringing notwithstanding) that we are somehow able to keep Lang at RT and/or in the mix at LG and get some real shots at a quality LT. I will go into some detail at a later time about the pluses and minuses regarding how Aaron operates/progresses, but at this time I just want to say I am not quite as freaked out about this as I may appear.

Cliffy was insurance, to me.
Fan Shout
dfosterf (35m) : Put him at right guard. That is where he will be coached. That is where he will compete. He is not even allowed to look at the LT playbook.
dfosterf (16h) : Kidding aside, I hope the best for him.
dfosterf (16h) : Went to a Titans board. One comment there. Not very long. I quote: "LOL" They don't sound overly upset about our aquisition.
beast (16h) : OT Dillard has been absolutely horrible... like OG Newman levels
dfosterf (17h) : Suit him up and have him stand in front of the big board as a draft day cautionary tale.
Zero2Cool (17h) : Packers sign T Andre Dillard.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#×k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
Martha Careful (6-Apr) : Go Boilermakers!!!
Martha Careful (5-Apr) : Diggs has not stepped up in the playoffs and has a high cost
beast (5-Apr) : Probably not going to let Diggs walk away unless he's horrible... but according to reports he also might not be as good as he used to be.
beast (5-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft has been an offensive player since 2017, 2 TE, 2 WR, 1 RB, 1 OC
Mucky Tundra (5-Apr) : Odd, why give up a 2025 2nd Rounder for him if you're just gonna let him walk?
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : Texans to let Diggs be free agent in '25
buckeyepackfan (4-Apr) : 49r's aign RB Patrick Taylor.
Martha Careful (4-Apr) : Reversion to the mean would indicate we will keep it
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : It's also been utilized in a trade in 14 of the past 20 years
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft hasn't been made by it's original holder since 2016.
Mucky Tundra (4-Apr) : Gotta imagine that Green Bay vs Houston will be a primetime game this upcoming season
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : No. Kill QB. No worries. 😁
Mucky Tundra (3-Apr) : Diggs, Collins, Dell and Schultz is gonna be tough to cover
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Stefon Diggs' trade will not be processed as a post-June 1 designation, so that is just over $31 million in dead cap this year.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
52m / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

13h / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

20h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16-Apr / Random Babble / Martha Careful

15-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12-Apr / Random Babble / Nonstopdrivel

12-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.