beast
14 years ago

I have no idea why Ted isn't even TRYING to go out and get a safety or CB. I think Rolle would have been perfect...Hell, even trading for Rhodes would have been good. The Cardinals only gave up a 4th round pick for him!

"go.pack.go." wrote:

And how do you know he's not trying? My guess is none of us know...

Also Rolle is pretty over rated... he gives up too many big plays...

"beast" wrote:

Well I mean it seems like there would be reports out there that would say we're interested in a certain player.... NFL Network has been dead on with their reports on who is interested in who.

"go.pack.go." wrote:

Yeah other than the Packers seem to not tell the media things (usually)

And I think it was reported 7 teams were interested in S Ryan Clark.

"beast" wrote:

Who were those 7 teams?

"go.pack.go." wrote:

They didn't name teams...
UserPostedImage
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
14 years ago

Also, I feel a lot of us are missing the bigger picture of 2011.

Let's say that a CBA is worked out. It's for certain that the requirement to become a UFA goes back down to 4 years of experience...

Look at the RFA list right now. Take a look at how many players would instantly become UFAs when a new CBA is signed. Granted, some RFAs will be taken care of, but my point is that the talent pool is vastly, vastly greater for the UFA market of 2011 than it is right now, even if all the players who are RFAs now do not become UFAs by signing an extension.

You can get by with Bigby and a draft pick this year. If you still find you need to upgrade the position, then you've potentially got a very strong FA pool to go after to do so. Chances are you can still get a decent player later on in Free Agency, as Uncle Ted loves to do.

Now, of course, if there is a lockout next year then many of the RFAs this year still become UFAs. Whenever a new CBA is done, the threshold for UFA is going to go back down to four years.

My point is: in 2011 or 2012... the UFA talent pool is going to be pretty good. More than anything else, it's going to include a lot of above average YOUNG talent.

It might be good to plan with an eye to the future.

"all_about_da_packers" wrote:

Good post.

Of course I don't want to wait until 2011 (but I'll save that dead horse for all the OL threads. 🙂 )

+1
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
Zero2Cool
14 years ago

So, what part of MORE intensely did you not understand?

Collins is not going to be upset if we bring in a player that makes the team BETTER. He's more team oriented than you give him credit for. He understands it is a business.

Nick just wants what he feels he deserves, a long term contract with the Green Bay Packers that makes him one of the higher paid Safeties in the game. And I agree with him.

So there!

"all_about_da_packers" wrote:

My bad, totally missed the "more" from the post.

I totally agree that Nick should be one of the higher paid Safties in the league. The problem is that of value, both financially and of self-worth.

If we get Clark, then how would Collins interpret that in terms of team priorities? In years past, Jennings / Driver / Rodgers / Kampman have all had their contracts re-done before having their final year play out. You go out and sign a Safety, then once again Collins MAY not take too kindly to that in terms of his own business dealings, especially since he has played his final year out and still has no extension.

I'm not saying we just should not go after Clark; Ted should do whatever he thinks is going to make this team better.

However, there are going to be consequences for the moves he makes - both positive and negative consequences. Being aware of them is important.

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

Yes sir. Although, I have a hard time believing Ted is gonna let Nick go. I just don't see that happening. Yes, I know it takes two, but Nick does want to be here long term and unless the Packers offer some really low ball deal. I think Nick will be here.
UserPostedImage
beast
14 years ago
http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Biggs-Six-teams-after-Ryan-Clark.html 

I wonder if the Packers are one of the teams trying to get Clark...

also from from the same site in a different place they say Pittsburgh DS Ryan Clark has some interest from teams but doesnt have a great offer on the table.
UserPostedImage
bozz_2006
14 years ago
he won't get a "great" offer from the Packers, so maybe one of the not great offers is from us. 😛
UserPostedImage
go.pack.go.
14 years ago
I don't know if this name has been mentioned yet, but how about Leigh Bodden? He had 5 INT's last year with 55 tackles. He is only 28 years old...

I know he would be an upgrade over Jarret Bush, and maybe Tramon Williams.

I think it's worth a thought.
UserPostedImage
Rockmolder
14 years ago
I don't see a single reason to sign any CB right now.

Woodson is still going strong. Harris has a good chance to come back in a good form. Williams is a very solid #2 CB, borderline elite for a nickel one. Underwood has a huge amount of potential if he bulks up a little. Next to those guys, we have Lee, Blackmon, Bush, Bell and Ford on our roster right now.

Now, I'm all for cutting some of the lesser guys. Everyone after those first 4 guys could be off the roster if we can get, for instance, Perrish Cox in the draft. I just don't see the reason to add an overpriced FA CB to the team.

Now, a safety, that's a completely different story...
Pack93z
14 years ago
Ryan Clark re-upped with the Steelers... damn it. ;)

Oh well... might as well pack up the suitcase of money now and hibernate for the year.

(Purely in jest.)
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Dulak
14 years ago

I don't see a single reason to sign any CB right now.

Woodson is still going strong. Harris has a good chance to come back in a good form. Williams is a very solid #2 CB, borderline elite for a nickel one. Underwood has a huge amount of potential if he bulks up a little. Next to those guys, we have Lee, Blackmon, Bush, Bell and Ford on our roster right now.

Now, I'm all for cutting some of the lesser guys. Everyone after those first 4 guys could be off the roster if we can get, for instance, Perrish Cox in the draft. I just don't see the reason to add an overpriced FA CB to the team.

Now, a safety, that's a completely different story...

"Rockmolder" wrote:

Tell you the truth rock the only corners I really like on our team are harris/woodson/tramon ...
and harris is iffy for next season (although I really hope we see him).

Lee - could be alright (been so long since I have seen him I dont remember how he is

blackmon - never was impressed by his corner skills and as a returner he was only average IMO

bush - I didnt like him 2 years ago ... and then we signed him for dbl the pay lol ...

underwood - he is only good on ST, he sucks as a corner and he sucked preseason also. (how about he get some guys that are actually decent at coverage skills and if they arnt get someone whom is).
I hear this argument how so n so wasnt that good to start but they got better ... ya cool. But I dont feel like waiting or losing another game to one of these guys. Man up or gtfo I say. I will say this about the twig ... he had some nice ST plays so Ill give him that. Just havnt seen anything worth while in his coverage skills.

ford - he blew also preseason last year ... what am I going to say.

Bell - dont remember him much who knows.

give all these guys a chance preseason and then start booting the guys that cant cover worth jack.

again these guys needs to man up or gtfo.
Pack93z
14 years ago

underwood - he is only good on ST, he sucks as a corner and he sucked preseason also. (how about he get some guys that are actually decent at coverage skills and if they arnt get someone whom is).

"Dulak" wrote:

Not sure whom you were watching in preseason.. but Underwood showed some very solid potential in my eyes as a cover corner.. where I knock him is he seems very weak upper body.. when he tried to jam or press he struggled... but in open space I thought he kid did pretty well for a rookie "green" player.

I wouldn't sell him out at this point.. remember he was a rookie. 😉
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Fan Shout
Mucky Tundra (13h) : Based on Gutes comments, now I don't feel as silly having 13 picks in my mock the other day
Zero2Cool (14h) : Zach Wilson to Broncos.
Zero2Cool (16h) : Gutekunst says he'd love to have 13 or 14 picks. He's trading back huh lol
beast (19h) : Someday we'll have a draft betting scandal
beast (21-Apr) : Sometimes looking extremely amazing, sometimes looking extremely lost
beast (21-Apr) : I haven't looked into the QBs, but some have suggested Maye has some of the most extremely inconsistent tape they've seen
beast (21-Apr) : Well it also sounds like Patriots are listening to trade offers, not that seriously considering any, but listening means they aren't locked
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Maye needs to be AFC
Mucky Tundra (21-Apr) : Not liking the idea of the Vikings getting Maye
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Vikings HC joked that he may or may not have sent flowers to Bob Kraft. That's where rumor came from.
beast (21-Apr) : Can't tell if this is real or BS, but some rumors about a possible Patriots/Vikings trade for #3 overall
dfosterf (21-Apr) : One playbook to my knowledge. I was shooting for facetious.
beast (20-Apr) : I'm not sure they have different playbooks for different OL positions, and Dillard run blocking is supposedly worse than his pass blocking..
dfosterf (19-Apr) : The only problem with that is he isn't a guard either.
dfosterf (19-Apr) : Put him at right guard. That is where he will be coached. That is where he will compete. He is not even allowed to look at the LT playbook.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Kidding aside, I hope the best for him.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Went to a Titans board. One comment there. Not very long. I quote: "LOL" They don't sound overly upset about our aquisition.
beast (18-Apr) : OT Dillard has been absolutely horrible... like OG Newman levels
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Suit him up and have him stand in front of the big board as a draft day cautionary tale.
Zero2Cool (18-Apr) : Packers sign T Andre Dillard.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#×k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

22-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

21-Apr / Fantasy Sports Talk / dfosterf

21-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

19-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

19-Apr / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16-Apr / Random Babble / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.