ILikeThePackers39
14 years ago

And my reply is the short pass substitutes for the run. First downs keep opposing Os off the field and let your D rest. Your best shot is to make 7 yards on first down instead of 4, then the next two downs, you only have to make 3 yards. Bill Walsh knew this, and usually had crappy running teams as his Os were more designed for passing but his RBs were generally good receivers.

You can eat just as much clock by a short passing game as you can with a running game. It's all about first down after first down. That's how you rest your D. It also frustrates opposing Ds and ruins their morale.

Now my primary concern with the OL is Aaron's health.

For the record, I'm not totally against the run. I sometimes exaggerate to make a point, but I make it obvious that I'm exaggerating. What I was mocking was Mike McCarthy's insistence that there had to be a balanced number of run vs pass plays. Screw that. Do what you're good at.

"zombieslayer" wrote:

Your arguments are sound. But as a one-time halfback I'm compelled to argue on one point - a point that to me is paramount.

Attitude.

Short passing game can certainly replace the run, in terms of functionality. It can get you those 5-7 yards on first down, yep. But it's so... finesse. For all the charms and effectiveness, you lack that deflating inevitability that, even though the opposing team knows what you're going to do, they can't stop it. Going in, their D personnel know they're going to get beat to shit, just flat run-over - I think of the Badgers back in Dayne's time, just consistently flattening the opposition, I think of how utterly defeated they all were.

Now, I'm no fool - I know the Packers aren't that kind of team and won't be. No point in that when you've got a great QB and receivers, and when your line isn't of the road grading variety. But I do think there's a place for the run - we've got a big strong RB who likes contact, if nothing else. I can see where you're coming from, but I for one will be a little sad if the run game isn't a strong component of the offensive gameplan.
blank
zombieslayer
14 years ago
Oh, Grant will be a part of the game plan. Make no mistake about it. I sometimes exaggerate to make a point, but I try to make it clear I'm exaggerating.

Grant got us 1200+ yards, 11 TDs, a 4.4 average, and only fumbled once. Yes, once. I think in '09, Mike McCarthy used him about the right amount.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
warhawk
14 years ago

Oh, Grant will be a part of the game plan. Make no mistake about it. I sometimes exaggerate to make a point, but I try to make it clear I'm exaggerating.

Grant got us 1200+ yards, 11 TDs, a 4.4 average, and only fumbled once. Yes, once. I think in '09, Mike McCarthy used him about the right amount.

"zombieslayer" wrote:

Considering the damage our passing attack does to defenses I think the overall balance was just about right. You got to get the ball in Finley's, Jennings, and Drivers hands.

No defense wants to see the Green Bay Packers and the running game only plays a small part in that. If we want a better run game you have to commit to that and considering the makeup of this team I think that would be a mistake.

The Vikings couldn't have gotten where they did had they stayed committed to the run and they had Peterson and a better line than us. Had they not had Favre and the receivers they have they never get as far as the did.
"The train is leaving the station."
Zero2Cool
14 years ago
warhawk, you're great, but I have to disagree. If Peterson didn't fumble as often and they were more committed the run, I firmly believe they would have went just as far, if not more. Teams get worn out when you run over them, not pass over them. A good running game keeps the defense on the field and offense off.
UserPostedImage
warhawk
14 years ago

warhawk, you're great, but I have to disagree. If Peterson didn't fumble as often and they were more committed the run, I firmly believe they would have went just as far, if not more. Teams get worn out when you run over them, not pass over them. A good running game keeps the defense on the field and offense off.

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

Then why is it so that the teams over the last several years that have made it to the SB have all been statistically at the top of the charts throwing the ball?

For every great running attack that makes it to a SB there are 10 great passing teams with an awesome QB. It's just the way it is.

The New York Giants made it a couple of years ago and everyone will agree it was when Manning caught fire and went on a streak he never had before or since. It wasn't they're run game that got them there that year. I mean it helped don't get me wrong but Manning catching fire is what put them in.

Just an example. Similar to how the Vikes got as far as they did this year.
"The train is leaving the station."
zombieslayer
14 years ago
Vikings would have lost at least 3 or 4 more games last year without Favre. Today's NFL is all about the pass. You can have "who?" as your RB, but you better have at least a decent QB in there if you want to win it all. I'm making up this statistic on the fly, but winning the SB is probably close to something like 60% D, 30% passing game, 10% running game.

Alright. Stat time. It's been too long for me not to argue without stats.
D = defensive rank of SB winner in terms of Points Allowed
P = passing rank of SB winner in terms of yards
R = rushing rank of SB winner in terms of yards

Year     D   P   R
2009    20  4   6
2008     1  17  23
2007    17  21  4
2006    23   2  18
2005    3    24  5
2004    2    11   7
2003    1    9    27
2002    1    15  27
2001    6    22  13
2000    1    22   5
1999    4     1   5

Heh. Screw it. The stats are all over the place.

I guess just win games any way you can. The Saints won it all last year by being aggressive almost to the point of insanity. Their D wasn't that great, but their O couldn't be stopped.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
earthquake
14 years ago
Fantastic signings today. I sure am glad to see Ted put money into quality players who have proven to play well with the packers and in the packer's system. This sure beats throwing boatloads of risky money at overrated, average free agents.

I'll let the people who understand it a bit better argue the specifics of the contracts, but i will say i am damn glad to see Clifton, Collins and Picket signed without issue.
blank
Pack93z
14 years ago
Well... lets do just a tiny bit of relative math.. we have ponied up..

7 Million for Clifton.. this year.

14 Million for Collins.. this year.

10 Million for Pickett. this year.

All hard cash spent this year... and we wonder why we have been quite in FA.

We instead have utilized the non capped year to front load contracts with cash flow now... that is brilliant.

Comes with risk as well.. meaning we expect these players to finish out their contracts in at the same level of pay to realize the overall value of the deal for us... if we keep frontloading deals when the cap returns.. you can certainly guarantee that players will start knocking on our doors... because we are giving the overall leverage of the deal to them.

Anyway... we can put to rest why we have been quiet.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Dulak
14 years ago

Well... lets do just a tiny bit of relative math.. we have ponied up..

7 Million for Clifton.. this year.

14 Million for Collins.. this year.

10 Million for Pickett. this year.

All hard cash spent this year... and we wonder why we have been quite in FA.

We instead have utilized the non capped year to front load contracts with cash flow now... that is brilliant.

Comes with risk as well.. meaning we expect these players to finish out their contracts in at the same level of pay to realize the overall value of the deal for us... if we keep frontloading deals when the cap returns.. you can certainly guarantee that players will start knocking on our doors... because we are giving the overall leverage of the deal to them.

Anyway... we can put to rest why we have been quiet.

"pack93z" wrote:

I agree - I thought chicago paid alot for peppers ... but seeing us throw the dough around here... starting to think otherwise
Pack93z
14 years ago
The thing though is... the Bears are on the hook for about twice that for a single player.. they can tout all they want they could bail on the deal after one year.. but as the details slowly sink in.. they are married to the guy for basically three year.. or at least the damage will last three years.

For a guy with motivational issues... we have never heard that type of complaint about any of these three.. hell Cliffy has basically sold his body out to keep playing this long.. the Sapp hit.. surgery after surgery... guy lives and breathes football..

Peppers... some question why he plays... one former teammate even offered something to the fact of if he liked football imagine what he could do... that isn't someone I sell my franchise out for.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Fan Shout
wpr (3h) : Just about time to watch Sonny Weaver stick it to the seahags. I never get tired of it.
Martha Careful (3h) : *game plan
Martha Careful (3h) : IMHO, not even close. He is not a guy you game play around.
Mucky Tundra (6h) : is Aiyuk worth a 1st rounder?
Zero2Cool (7h) : 49ers are seeking a 1st round pick in exchange for WR Brandon Aiyuk
Mucky Tundra (22-Apr) : Based on Gutes comments, now I don't feel as silly having 13 picks in my mock the other day
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Zach Wilson to Broncos.
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Gutekunst says he'd love to have 13 or 14 picks. He's trading back huh lol
beast (22-Apr) : Someday we'll have a draft betting scandal
beast (21-Apr) : Sometimes looking extremely amazing, sometimes looking extremely lost
beast (21-Apr) : I haven't looked into the QBs, but some have suggested Maye has some of the most extremely inconsistent tape they've seen
beast (21-Apr) : Well it also sounds like Patriots are listening to trade offers, not that seriously considering any, but listening means they aren't locked
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Maye needs to be AFC
Mucky Tundra (21-Apr) : Not liking the idea of the Vikings getting Maye
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Vikings HC joked that he may or may not have sent flowers to Bob Kraft. That's where rumor came from.
beast (21-Apr) : Can't tell if this is real or BS, but some rumors about a possible Patriots/Vikings trade for #3 overall
dfosterf (21-Apr) : One playbook to my knowledge. I was shooting for facetious.
beast (20-Apr) : I'm not sure they have different playbooks for different OL positions, and Dillard run blocking is supposedly worse than his pass blocking..
dfosterf (19-Apr) : The only problem with that is he isn't a guard either.
dfosterf (19-Apr) : Put him at right guard. That is where he will be coached. That is where he will compete. He is not even allowed to look at the LT playbook.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Kidding aside, I hope the best for him.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Went to a Titans board. One comment there. Not very long. I quote: "LOL" They don't sound overly upset about our aquisition.
beast (18-Apr) : OT Dillard has been absolutely horrible... like OG Newman levels
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Suit him up and have him stand in front of the big board as a draft day cautionary tale.
Zero2Cool (18-Apr) : Packers sign T Andre Dillard.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

22-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

22-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

21-Apr / Fantasy Sports Talk / dfosterf

21-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

19-Apr / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16-Apr / Random Babble / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.