bozz_2006
14 years ago
Porky doesn't need sleep!
UserPostedImage
warhawk
14 years ago
It would not hurt my feelings to see the Packers pick up additional defensive players early.

In the losses we had last year the offense scored plenty of points to win those games. It didn't matter if it was the Vikings, Steelers, or, whoever, we scored points. We lack quality depth along the line and the pass rush was inconsistant at times. Overall, considering this was the first year in the 3-4 it was a good move but there are still areas that need to be shored up.

If we are going to go deep into the playoffs the defense has to be good enough to disrupt a good QB because by then they will be seeing great QB's every week. Trying to outscore our opponent all the way to the SB is not going to cut it.

The defensive stats were good because we absolutely shut down teams when we did get to the QB, or, the opposing QB wasn't very good. When that wasn't the case we ended up in shoot outs and came out on the short end.

We need another quality DL for a solid rotation, better and more consistant pressure from the ROLB, and better play out of the other Safety position and we could be a really good defense against anybody.

It's the "against anybody" part that's key.
"The train is leaving the station."
ILikeThePackers39
14 years ago

The thing about Mays that intrigues me is he's not the big play safety you would like to get in the first-round, but he's smart and reacts to the play well. I think that's what the Packers need next to Nick Collins. They don't need a guy with a ton of range or a ball-hawk. That's what Collins already is. Not say it can't work with those two types of players, but it's not something you must have in order to be a competitive defensive football team.

If Mays falls to the second-round and I think he probably will, trading up to get him is something that would be pretty tempting I think for the Packers. Of course this is a deep draft so moving down and stockpiling picks is always in play as well with this regime.

"porky88" wrote:

I see a couple things in Mays that I really like. All due respect to fosterf, I don't much care if a guy sounds smart - I've known far too many folks who sounded dumber than rocks but were more than intelligent enough to do their jobs well. Wonderlic scores are okay, but again there are very successful players who scored for crap on that test (Marino, for one).

Pros: -Great physical ability - like Collins, he can make up for a lapse in technique with those skills. -Tough player, tough mindset - the biggest (in my mind) thing Bigby brings to the table, and this guy's got it - with kids like Harvin cruising the middle of the field, I want someone there to give them second thoughts.

Cons: -Lack of ball skills (or maybe he's just more interested in hitting the guy, I don't know) - this, as you say, is what Collins does, so in the specific case of the Packers, it's not a huge minus. -Dude was out of position a lot this last season - does that mean he doesn't get it, or was he trying to do too much on a team that had lost so many players to last year's draft? Fodder for debate; I suspect it's more the latter than the former, personally.

I'd hate to see them pass on a good OT or DE/Rush LB just to get him - as much as I think he's potentially a great fit in this defense, I don't think he's worth missing on positions of equal or greater need. If he's there in the 2nd round, I'd love to see them make that move. I'm betting he'll be gone well before then, though - someone will see the freakish physical skills and convince themselves all he needs is their guidance to be a monster.
blank
TengoJuego
14 years ago
Jerry Hughes 😃
starpass
14 years ago
Mississippi's running back sensation Dexter McCluster dominated Oklahoma State in the Cotton Bowl on Sunday rushing for 182 yards and two touchdowns and he was named the Offensive Player of the Game....This guy is the next Chris Johnson. Grant who?

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/318867-is-mississippis-running-back-dexter-mccluster-the-next-chris-johnson 
blank
Dulak
14 years ago
I thought spiller or wtfe his name is was supposed to be the next chris johnson ...

btw if we draft peeps they have to have long hair - I think we lead the nfl with long haired dudes ...
Since69
14 years ago
If McCluster wants to be the next Chris Johnson he'd better shave three tenths of a second off his 40 time...
UserPostedImage
Packers_Finland
14 years ago
No one in this draft is going to be the next Chris Johnson.

Spiller can be a great player if used right. Jahvid Best should be used like Felix Jones in Dallas. McCluster I think would be a great 3rd down back, because he's a tenacious blocker and a good reciever.

Those are the speed back at the top of this draft. I don't much of Chris Johnson in them.
This is a placeholder
starpass
14 years ago
I watched the Mississippi vs. Oklahoma State bowl game...This guy is the real deal! Remember, Larry Fitzgerald did not have a great 40 time at the combine...look at him today. This guy McCluster is elusive, makes guys miss tackles, has breakaway speed...and is a GAMER. He would be a good kick-off returner...sorry Jordy...I love you but...
blank
Fan Shout
dfosterf (9h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (16h) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (17h) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (17h) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (20h) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (23h) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (23h) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (23h) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (23h) : Against tbd
dfosterf (23h) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (23h) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (23h) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (23h) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (23h) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (23h) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (23h) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (23h) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Hip drop is not. Super confusing. Referees job is harder
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Swivel hip drop is banned
dfosterf (25-Mar) : The hip drop enforcement will be in the form of fines, etc. Not flags
dfosterf (25-Mar) : A major foul will be enforced on the offense if there are offsetting penalties in a change of possession situation
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Teams will receive a 3rd challenge if 1 was successful. Previously, it took 2
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

21h / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.