Pack93z
  • Pack93z
  • Select Member Topic Starter
14 years ago
I couple weeks ago I noted the lack of a communicator and leader on the defense.. someone to gather the troops when things are rough.

Looks like Mike McCarthy is set on jump starting that process.. identifying leaders, however that is not just something the your "focus" on.. that is something someone steps up and takes.

Amen to the tackling focus as well.. league wide that is becoming a lost art.

BTW... fixes two of Tom's misspellings in the article. ;)

Defense has more work to do 
By Tom Silverstein of the Journal Sentinel

March 22, 2010 2:00 p.m. |(12) Comments

Orlando, Fla. -- During a break at the NFL owners meetings, Packers coach Mike McCarthy laid out a couple of areas that will require addressing during the off-season and training camp.

He was asked specifically about the inability on defense to stop the spread offenses of Pittsburgh and Arizona, but he said he his focus will be more on finishing tackles and dealing with difficult game situations. The Packers did not do either of those well in their overtime playoff loss to Arizona.

"We havent really presented it to the team yet, but the two biggest things defensively is going to be tackling and handling adversity," McCarthy said. "Our adversity situations [last] year were not close to what they needed to be and did not match up to our production throughout our defense.

"On top of that, the productivity we had throughout the defense was a vast improvement over what weve done in the past, but those are two areas were going to really emphasize. And when you guys go to practice and the OTAs in the summer, youll see some drills and things, situations and an emphasis that will be applied to highlight that the defense.

" No different than special teams. The penalties and the punting performance last year are two major emphasizes for the special teams. Youll see drills well do more of, so thats what I do with the scheme evaluation. You try to cut it down to two or three things you really hone in on, and you try to apply it to the practice structure."

Asked if he thought he might add live tackling to his training camp regimen, McCarthy said no.

"I dont think you need to go live,"he said. "There is a risk assessment in everything you do in practice. Where you are in your program, too, has something to do with it. Especially us going into year five, there are some things we can do to improve that in our drill work, and thats what will be done. But as far as lining up to go live tackling so I can beat my chest and say, this no, were not going to do that."

"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
RajiRoar
14 years ago
put in #55

MintBaconDrivel
Dec, 11, 2012 - FOREVER!
nerdmann
14 years ago

put in #55

"RajiRoar" wrote:

LOL. Yeah, I think what MM's talking about is when your offense turns the ball over twice in the first three plays, against the best red zone team in the league, WHILE you are in the playoffs, that the defense should somehow magically be able to get the ball back or something.
How about not putting their backs up to the wall like that?
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Rockmolder
14 years ago

put in #55

"nerdmann" wrote:

LOL. Yeah, I think what Mike McCarthy's talking about is when your offense turns the ball over twice in the first three plays, against the best red zone team in the league, WHILE you are in the playoffs, that the defense should somehow magically be able to get the ball back or something.
How about not putting their backs up to the wall like that?

"RajiRoar" wrote:

First of all, they could've stopped them and made them kick a field goal. I agree, that's a very tough thing to do against an offense like Arizona's, but it's possible.

Even without those, though, that still leaves you with the defense giving up 31 points and getting carved up like a hot knife through butter. Even without looking at the stats, you could see that the defense wasn't even close to stopping the Cardinals that day.
dyeah_gb
14 years ago

First of all, they could've stopped them and made them kick a field goal. I agree, that's a very tough thing to do against an offense like Arizona's, but it's possible.

Even without those, though, that still leaves you with the defense giving up 31 points and getting carved up like a hot knife through butter. Even without looking at the stats, you could see that the defense wasn't even close to stopping the Cardinals that day.

"Rockmolder" wrote:

I agree with this. By the time we were in the 4th quarter of this game, defenses on both teams looked terrible. It was like watching a boxing match where neither fighter knows how to block a punch. Although there were some questionable situations where Woodson was knocked down by Fitzgerald.

That being said, a defense with a well defined leader is a necessity. I think where this would have been most helpful for us is in the preparation leading up to the game. A leader would have emphasized that beating the Cards the week before doesn't mean crap for the following week.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool - R. Feynman
all_about_da_packers
14 years ago
93z, I honestly interpreted McCarthy's comments differently than you. I don't think he is at all pointing to a lack of leadership and saying we need more leaders to emerge.

Personally, I think he is pointing to the youth on this team that makes up the majority of depth on our team. While I don't think he intends to criticize Ted's approach, I think he is pointing out there are fall backs when you work with youth.

Put simply, I think he is saying that the young players on this team that played so much down the stretch had to be better at standing up to adversity. Instead of putting their heads down in shame when getting beaten, they had to find it within themselves to say "No more, period" and then stop the guys.

I think he is saying we have to put more work in with the young guys, specifically in situations that they face adversity, to build them up as players. I'd agree.

It's sort of related to the question of Special Teams - do we just have downright bad coaches or does the fact that we are the youngest team (again) and have very young Special Teams players hamper the ability of coaches to get the most out of special teams...?

A leader would have emphasized that beating the Cards the week before doesn't mean crap for the following week.

"dyeah_gb" wrote:

Honestly, I don't think that's the problem. It seems from interviews that Charles is the unquestioned leader of the team (a hell of a good one to have) and he got the guys together and let them know they had to take care of business during the week leading up to the playoff game.
The NFL: Where Greg Jennings Happens.
Fan Shout
buckeyepackfan (1h) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (1h) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (1h) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (4h) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (5h) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (7h) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (8h) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (13h) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (13h) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
wpr (20h) : Just about time to watch Sonny Weaver stick it to the seahags. I never get tired of it.
Martha Careful (21h) : *game plan
Martha Careful (21h) : IMHO, not even close. He is not a guy you game play around.
Mucky Tundra (23-Apr) : is Aiyuk worth a 1st rounder?
Zero2Cool (23-Apr) : 49ers are seeking a 1st round pick in exchange for WR Brandon Aiyuk
Mucky Tundra (22-Apr) : Based on Gutes comments, now I don't feel as silly having 13 picks in my mock the other day
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Zach Wilson to Broncos.
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Gutekunst says he'd love to have 13 or 14 picks. He's trading back huh lol
beast (22-Apr) : Someday we'll have a draft betting scandal
beast (21-Apr) : Sometimes looking extremely amazing, sometimes looking extremely lost
beast (21-Apr) : I haven't looked into the QBs, but some have suggested Maye has some of the most extremely inconsistent tape they've seen
beast (21-Apr) : Well it also sounds like Patriots are listening to trade offers, not that seriously considering any, but listening means they aren't locked
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Maye needs to be AFC
Mucky Tundra (21-Apr) : Not liking the idea of the Vikings getting Maye
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Vikings HC joked that he may or may not have sent flowers to Bob Kraft. That's where rumor came from.
beast (21-Apr) : Can't tell if this is real or BS, but some rumors about a possible Patriots/Vikings trade for #3 overall
dfosterf (21-Apr) : One playbook to my knowledge. I was shooting for facetious.
beast (20-Apr) : I'm not sure they have different playbooks for different OL positions, and Dillard run blocking is supposedly worse than his pass blocking..
dfosterf (19-Apr) : The only problem with that is he isn't a guard either.
dfosterf (19-Apr) : Put him at right guard. That is where he will be coached. That is where he will compete. He is not even allowed to look at the LT playbook.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Kidding aside, I hope the best for him.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Went to a Titans board. One comment there. Not very long. I quote: "LOL" They don't sound overly upset about our aquisition.
beast (18-Apr) : OT Dillard has been absolutely horrible... like OG Newman levels
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Suit him up and have him stand in front of the big board as a draft day cautionary tale.
Zero2Cool (18-Apr) : Packers sign T Andre Dillard.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

3h / Random Babble / beast

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

22-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

22-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

21-Apr / Fantasy Sports Talk / dfosterf

21-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

19-Apr / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.