Arrigo
  • Arrigo
  • Registered Topic Starter
14 years ago
Arrigo's Packers Mock Draft v.18.0

In this mock, v.18.0, I am going a little different. I am going with what I have gotten from some of my scouting friends (which I put in the latest O.T.S. on Sunday, March 21st). I am also going to add some scouting notes of my own for each draft pick.

I have the Packers dealing back with San Diego in round 1 and receiving the Chargers 3rd round selection in 2010. I also am taking a trade idea from another site which has Darryn Colledge getting dealt to Denver for a 3rd round pick and a conditional 2011 pick.

Finally, I have the Packers getting a 5th round comp pick for Colin Cole.

So here is my latest Packers mock draft version 18.0, ENJOY!

Round 1 (#23): Traded to Chargers for pick #26 and the Chargers 3rd round pick in 2010.

Round 1 (#26): Devin McCourty-CB/KR-Rutgers: Reads the WR's body language well. Jumps routes quickly and reads the QB well. Doesn't bite on double moves. Has fluid hips, stays low and transitions nicely. Can press effectively and should get better at it with proper coaching. Right now better in zone coverage. Has good awareness in zone with one eye on short WR and any other on hitting hole behind him. Great reactions while ball is in air and quickly will come off man to go after ball. A willing tackler, strong at point of attack and will stand his man up and force the play inside. Baits QB well and closes quickly. Good plant and drive with body control. Doesn't have elite speed, but takes excellent angles to the WR. Loves the game, very reliable and is a student of the game. His twin brother plays for the Titans. Excellent return man and will help there from the jump. Averaged 25.1 yards per return with a TD in 2009 and added 7 blocked kicks for his career.

Round 2: Morgan Burnett-S-Georgia Tech: Quick with extremely active hands to fight for ball. Highly instinctive with great ball skills. Real fast out of his breaks and shows a late burst to close. 14 career picks in 2 years as a starter. Locates ball quickly and competes for it. Has a knack to "high point" the ball and shows great body control with strong hands. A tough kid that is more than willing and very active in run support. Always seems to be around the ball on tape. Kind of reminds me of LeRoy Butler, the former All Pro safety for the Packers.

Round 3 ( A ): Dexter McCluster-RB/WR/KR-Ole Miss: Great lateral agility to elude defenders at the line of scrimmage and has the straight line speed to demand opposing teams respect. Elusive and has the acceleration and top-end speed to run away from defenders. Great vision and sets up blockers well. Patient runner that can burst through any whole. he will be a match-up problem when coming out the backfield. Great hands as a receiver and plunks ball from the air and can get to balls that seem outside his frame. Strong for a little guy and a willing blocker. He has great effort and a pesky blocker. Tough competitor with great instincts. A football player and high character guy. Will be a play-maker on someone's offense and special teams.

Round 3 ( B ): Austin Lane-OLB-Murray St.: Quicker off the snap than expected. Has a late burst and acceleration. Has decent rush moves (spin inside and outside as a secondary move). Quick enough to beat the tackle outside while sealing the edge against the run. Good leg drive and has long arms which could lead to a "bull rush" move down the road. Good height (6'6) and athleticism. Nice fit in a 3-4.

Round 3 ( C ): Jared Veldheer-OT-Hillsdale: Tall, long raw guy. Sets feet quickly and has really good lateral movement to meet defenders lined up wide. Plays with a wide base and has a strong punch. Keeps his arms extended and grip strong on smaller players. Takes the quick ends around the corner and sustains to prevent "hustle sacks". Needs to improve his balance. Not a finesse run blocker and will explode on defender. Level of competition was low, so will need a year or two to develop.

Round 4: Akwasi Owusu-Ansah-CB/KR-Indiana (Pa): Big, strong, quick kid. A hard worker. Has the prototypical size that NFL teams love in a press corner. Has long arms and outstanding vision. High points the ball well and makes plays. Has smooth back pedal, stays low and good hip flexibility. Excellent hands. Great range and always seems to be around the ball. Tough kid who played through a shoulder injury at the end of the year. A willing tackler, but not over physical. Can also return kicks and punts.

Round 5 ( A ): C.J. Wilson-DE-ECU: Good size (6'3, 284) and versatile. Can pressure the QB and is stout vs the run. Has active hands and really good upper body strength. Quick off the line and is a high effort guy that has a motor that doesn't stop. Sure tackler with good change-of-direction. Needs to work on getting off blocks.

Round 5 ( Comp ): O'Brien Schofield-OLB-Wisconsin: Tore his ACL at Senior Bowl after a great week at the Shrine game. He will miss most of the 2010 season. Great nose for the ball and a really nice pass rusher. Plays faster than timed speed (4.63) and has a great football IQ. The kid loves the game. Hard worker and a team guy. Good awareness and gets his hands up to deflect balls at line of scrimmage. Needs to work on pass coverage, but showed he can do it at Shrine game with enough speed to make conversion from DE to OLB in 3/4. Aggressive, high motor, high character guy.

Round 6: John Skelton-QB-Fordham: Big kid (6'5, 245) with a cannon for an arm. Decent accuracy and gives the WR's a chance to make a play on ball. Ball gets from the hash to the opponents sideline in a hurry when he steps into a throw. Raw prospect who needs to be brought along slowly. Decent mobility and is surprisingly accurate on the run. Needs to be more of a leader, but from a physical standpoint, this kid passes the eye test.

Round 7: Naaman Roosevelt-WR-Buffalo: Good size (6'0/190) and decent speed. Plays faster than times speed and has a great feel for the game. He won't blow by you, but can get deep. Nice hands and leaping ability. Knows how to play in the elements after growing up in Buffalo. A natural WR that can be a solid possession guy. The slot seems like the best place for him right now. Nice flexibility and has a nice drive out of his breaks.

Undrafted Rookie free Agents:

Joe Pawelek-ILB-Baylor

Mike Newton-FS-Buffalo

Kevin Matthews-C-Texas A&M

Kelton Tindal-WR-Newberry

Matt Nichols-QB-Eastern Washington

Riar Greer-TE-Colorado [url=index.php?name=Pro_News&aid=131]full article[/url].

Dictionary is the only place that success comes before work.
Hard work is the price we must pay for success.
I think you can accomplish anything if you're willing to pay the price
Packers_Finland
14 years ago
Kevin Matthews will probably get drafted after his showing at his pro day.

Owusu-Ansah won't be there after his incredible pro day.

Other than that, a very good mock, I wouldn't mind this scenario at all.
This is a placeholder
Rockmolder
14 years ago
This wouldn't get us an OT or DE/OLB early in the draft, but I'd be ok with this draft.

I'd hope that, if we do pull the trigger on the trade-back, we go with Wilson at 26, and if he's not there, go with Kindle (if he'll really fall as far as a lot of mock drafts have him fall). I'm still not totally sold on McCourty, even though I wouldn't hate the pick.

Getting Dexter McCluster in the 3rd would be such a steal. I love the kind of versatile athlete that he is, just being able to line him up at multiple position and have him make plays.
Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago
This is an intriguing mock. We only take one OL, we bone up on defense, we get a couple of WRs, and we even grab a QB. This is very similar to the scenario I've laid out previously. It seems Thompsonesque to me.

I'm definitely looking forward to this d raft, even though I'm annoyed it's going to be spread out over three days.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
dfosterf (18h) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (18h) : Yes
Zero2Cool (19h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (21h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (22h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (28-Mar) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (28-Mar) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (28-Mar) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
3h / Around The NFL / Zero2Cool

18h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.