Rockmolder
14 years ago
What can I say? I don't really disagree with his grade.

1 - 16 - Justin Harrell - I love the pick. Had he stayed healthy, he would've been a steal at 16. So much potential. It's just that, you take a risk and it doesn't turn out, it's a bad pick. E
2 - 63 - Brandon Jackson - Truly underrated as a complete 3rd down back. He can receive, block and run a screen with the best of them. He's injured quite often, though. B-
3 - 78 - James Jones - I love the kid. It never hurts to have a bigger receiver on your team. One you can just throw the ball to and he'll go up and get it. The production doesn't match the potential, though, which is what holds this pick back from being an A-B. B-
3 - 89 - Aaron Rouse - He looked like someone who could be the starter opposite of Collins and had a huge fanbase... Untill he actually had to take the field and everyone saw how stiff and mediocre he was. D
4 - 119 - Allen Barbre - What an athletecism and potential for a tackle... Too bad he's awfull once gets onto the field. Maybe he'll fare better as a guard, but I seriously doubt that. D
5 - 157 - David Clowney - He never actually played a game for the Packers. Got signed by the Jets in his rookie season. That's pretty much a wasted pick. F
6 - 191 - Korey Hall - Solid contributer. I think that he'll be gone this year, but we got some decent years out of him. C+[/]
6 - 192 - Desmond Bishop - Good back-up. Plays with intensity. A lot of people actually want him to start. I'm not that high on him, but he surely was a good pick for a 6th round ILB. B
6 - 193 - Mason Crosby - Crosby has been pretty decent. He had a horrible slump this year, missing one kick after another, but he has been solid and has a huge leg. B-
7 - 228 - DeShawn Wynn - He keeps coming out as the best RB on the roster after training camp. And he keeps getting injured right after that. If it wasn't for his constant injuries, he might've gotten an A grade, but I guess we'll never know. Still solid for a 7th rounder. B
7 - 243 - Clark Harris - Clark who? He didn't make the roster, either. Got signed by the Lions his rookie season. He still hasn't made a catch, but he did play in his first game last year. I'll cut Ted Thompson some slack, because the kid's a late 7th rounder and he's actually still in the league. C-

I can't give Ted a whole lot more than a D+ for this draft. If James starts playing up to his potential, Wynn and Jackon suddenly stay healthy, Barbre learns to block someone and/or Bishop is the godly player some people think he is, this grade might go up a little. But I wouldn't hold my breath.

2 - 36 - Jordy Nelson - Jordy had a pretty promising rookie season. He didn't look quite that good after he got injured this year, though. The jury is still out on him. I'll just give him a grade for now. C
2 - 56 - Brian Brohm - The product of a Louisville system that was build around him. He had everyone fooled, including a lot of GB fans. E-
2 - 60 - Pat Lee - We really don't know a whole lot about Lee. He played sparringly last year and didn't play at all this year, due to injuries. Very physical guy and it's a question what he can do in zone. C-
3 - 91 - Jermichael Finley - What a freak of nature. Throw a ball in his area and he'll catch it. Most of the time, he'll be wide open, anyway, but if he has to, he'll just pluck it away from defenders. Doesn't matter if their safeties, LBs or CBs. He's a match-up nightmare. He has to work on his blocking, but that's all. For a late 3rd rounder, this is an amazing pick. A+
4 - 102 - Jeremy Thompson - I really thought that Thompson could do something special. He still might, but after an unimpressive rookie season and missing the entire 2009 season, his future remains uncertain. C-
4 - 135 - Josh Sitton - What a steal. Sitton's horribly underrated. Mainly because no one actually notices guard play. He played on a Pro Bowl level this season. A
5 - 150 - Breno Giacomini - Breno's trying to break the record for most inactives on gameday. He's been on the roster for 2 years and hasn't really done anything. D-
7 - 209 - Matt Flynn - He has looked pretty good in pre-season. He didn't look to good when he got some time in the regular season, though. For a 7th rounder, I've been pleasently surprised. Just remember that Rodgers looked pretty bad in his first 2 season. B
7 - 217 - Brett Swain - He looked like a special teams ace at the start of the season. He made some very smart and good plays before he blew his knee out. Good production for a 7th rounder. B

I think that this draft was pretty succesfull. People often look at your first pick and, at first sight, Nelson - Brohm - Lee doesn't look too impressive. Nelson and Lee have a make or break year coming up. If you look a little further, you see the gems in this draft in Finley, Sitton and maybe even Flynn and Swain.

Right now, I'll give it a B-

1 - 9 - B.J. Raji - Some people are down on him because he couldn't beat Pickett. Problem is, Pickett has been amazing and horribly underrated. I truly believe that we have the best NT tandem in the league. Just look at the times that Raji is on the field. Every 3rd play he'll make some kind of impact play. Can't really give him a high grade yet, though. B
1 - 26 - Clay Matthews - What a steal. I was a little worried when we traded up for him, I was scared that he might've been more of a 1 year wonder. Man, was I wrong. I would love to see him bulk up and add some moves to get to the QB, instead of relying on purely speed and a high motor. He's one promising prospect, though. A
4 - 109 - T.J. Lang - Looks like the real deal. He actually held his own against some good pass rushers. I believe that he's our future at RT. B+
5 - 145 - Quinn Johnson - An absolutely punishing run blocker. He isn't as polished in the passing game, though. I think that he'll make the roster this year and should be a force to be reckoned with. C+
5 - 162 - Jamon Meredith - We passed on Duke Robinson, who had a 2nd round grade, to draft Meredith. Then we put him on the PS and let the Bills take him from us. F
6 - 182 - Jarius Wynn - Really not that much to say about Wynn. He wasn't impactful when on the field, but he didn't make any dumb mistakes, either. I really don't know what kind of grade to give this kid. ?
6 - 187 - Brandon Underwood - He was raw this year. As expected from a 6th rounder. I really think that he has some potential, though. I think that he might come out as the dime CB this year behind Woodson, Harris and Williams. If he can add some muscle to that lanky frame, he might be playing in GB for a long time. Maybe even as a starter, eventually. B
7 - 218 - Brad Jones - Jones made a huge impact this year. Especially for a 7th rounder. He lost at the point of attack pretty often, but he has some room to bulk up, get a little stronger and really become a force in the pass rushing department. An absolute steal in the 7th round. A+

You can't really grade last years draft yet. If I'd have to give it a grade, though, it'd be a ๐Ÿ…ฑA-
. When we look back at this draft in a year or 4, I think that that grade might've become an A+.
Rockmolder
14 years ago

Wtf why is everyone so up on Jones I remember him dropping alot of balls and Nelson was not worth a very high 2nd round pick. I think the grade is about right. The Vikes are a little inflated but yes Harvin was a steal and blows both Jones and Nelson out of the water. But i also remember the years that the Vikes would be lucky to get their pick in on time lol. I also thinks AP trumps any of our top picks in the past 10 years. Yaya lets hear about Rodgers but AP gave production right away and earned his money and wasn't on the bench.

Rice didn't come into his own until this year before that I seen people calling him a bust.

I say if we do this again next year the A will goto the Lions I really like what they are doing.

The Bears ahhh hell we all know the Bears will still suck

"dhazer" wrote:

Rice gets a pass for sucking his first 2 season. Nelson was not worth a 2nd round pick.

In the end, I don't think that the Peterson pick will go down as a better one than Rodgers. I'm pretty sure that no one will say that Peterson was the better pick than Rodgers because Rodgers sat on the bench his first three years...

If Rodgers suddenly start playing on a lower level and Peterson stops fumbling it, I might agree, but right now, I'f rather have Rodgers on my team than Peterson. And you can't play the where they were drafted card, either, since Rodgers was the 24th pick, Peterson the 7th.
zombieslayer
14 years ago
C is harsh.

2007 sucked. We agree on this. C-. I was pissed about Harrell and still am. However, you got contributors on the team with this draft. Jones is our #3 WR and will bump up to #2 when Driver retires. Brandon Jackson is our #2 RB. Korey Hall turned out to be a decent FB (and caught Rodgers' first career TD pass as a starter). Bishop is a serviceable backup. Wynn is a decent FB. Mason Crosby is still our starting K. Feel free to complain about him - I still don't see why we got rid of Longwell, but we did and we got Crosby now.

2008 we got future Pro Bowler in Finley and a solid starter in Sitton. Brohm was a bust but the pick was the right pick because Favre was gone and we needed a second QB, remember? I don't think any of us had thought Brohm would be as big a bust as he was. Jordy as our first pick wasn't a bad move because Driver was getting up there in age (and it's a football miracle that he's still going strong in '09) and '05 was fresh in our minds. Depth, folks. If I had to grade '08 today, I'd say B.

Then of course you know I already said A for '09.

C-, B, A. That's not a C over the 3-year span.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. ๐Ÿ‡น๐Ÿ‡น ๐Ÿ‡ฒ๐Ÿ‡ฒ ๐Ÿ‡ฆ๐Ÿ‡ท
dhazer
14 years ago

Wtf why is everyone so up on Jones I remember him dropping alot of balls and Nelson was not worth a very high 2nd round pick. I think the grade is about right. The Vikes are a little inflated but yes Harvin was a steal and blows both Jones and Nelson out of the water. But i also remember the years that the Vikes would be lucky to get their pick in on time lol. I also thinks AP trumps any of our top picks in the past 10 years. Yaya lets hear about Rodgers but AP gave production right away and earned his money and wasn't on the bench.

Rice didn't come into his own until this year before that I seen people calling him a bust.

I say if we do this again next year the A will goto the Lions I really like what they are doing.

"Rockmolder" wrote:

Rice gets a pass for sucking his first 2 season. Nelson was not worth a 2nd round pick.

In the end, I don't think that the Peterson pick will go down as a better one than Rodgers. I'm pretty sure that no one will say that Peterson was the better pick than Rodgers because Rodgers sat on the bench his first three years...

If Rodgers suddenly start playing on a lower level and Peterson stops fumbling it, I might agree, but right now, I'f rather have Rodgers on my team than Peterson. And you can't play the where they were drafted card, either, since Rodgers was the 24th pick, Peterson the 7th.

"dhazer" wrote:

I never said Rice got a pass i said people called him a bust and as far as the AP vs Rodgers i say right now AP is the better pick because the money spent on him was earned on the field.

I said the Vikes grade was inflated I would say a solid B i don't see it as an A because if you haven't caught on by now I don't believe in one year wonders.

Before you say it I would take Harvin over both Nelson and Jones combined I don't wear the green and gold goggles and i don't see them as the so called solid #2's people are saying they are. Maybe on teams like the Seahawks and Bears but not even on an average team, they would be #3's if they were lucky.
Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be ๐Ÿ™‚ (PS, Zero should charge for this)
UserPostedImage
Rockmolder
14 years ago

"dhazer" wrote:

"Rockmolder" wrote:

I never said Rice got a pass i said people called him a bust and as far as the AP vs Rodgers i say right now AP is the better pick because the money spent on him was earned on the field.

I said the Vikes grade was inflated I would say a solid B i don't see it as an A because if you haven't caught on by now I don't believe in one year wonders.

Before you say it I would take Harvin over both Nelson and Jones combined I don't wear the green and gold goggles and i don't see them as the so called solid #2's people are saying they are. Maybe on teams like the Seahawks and Bears but not even on an average team, they would be #3's if they were lucky.

"dhazer" wrote:

I know. You're trying real hard to show that you're objective. And I don't mind that, I actually like it. It's just that you seem to be going towards purple goggles moreso that green ones. You're making statements that the biggest homers on PP.O wouldn't make. Like the AP over Rodgers one.

I'd like you to find 5 more people who would call Peterson a better pick than Rodgers.

And I agree, Harvin's the better receiver. I think that, if we had him on our roster, we'd come out in 3 receiver formations with him in the slot on nearly every play. He's not just a receiver, he's an amazing weapon. I'd trade both Nelson and Jones to the Vikings in return for Harvin.

I don't know if Jones or Nelson will be our nr. 2 eventually. Jones showed what he can do in his rookie season. It's just that he doesn't get looked at very often on a team that has two starting caliber TEs and two good receiver, while being rotated as the 3rd receiver iwht Nelson. I think that Jones could be the starter eventually, but I'd be a lot happier with a kid like Andre Roberts.

And lastly. Nr. 3's if they where lucky? Find me three teams where they would not be the nr. 3 receiver. You could make a case for the Vikes and Berrian. I disagree on that one, as I think that Berrian is horribly overrated, but I can understand. Maybe the Ravens right now with Boldin, Mason and Stallworth. And that one is questionable, as well, as Stallworth has gotten a whole lot more passes thrown his way and a lot more playing time, while not producing a whole lot more than what Jones did in his rookie season.
zombieslayer
14 years ago
Berrian has sick speed which drives opposing Ds nuts. Saw it in lots of games last year. What he doesn't have is consistency. I remember Berrian dropping a lot of Favre's passes and miscommunicating with Favre a lot. For the record, Favre did much better with Jones than he did with Berrian. Yes, I'll take Harvin over Jones but I'll take Jones over Berrian. Jones doesn't have Berrian's sick speed, but he does have more consistency and communicated better with Favre.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. ๐Ÿ‡น๐Ÿ‡น ๐Ÿ‡ฒ๐Ÿ‡ฒ ๐Ÿ‡ฆ๐Ÿ‡ท
earthquake
14 years ago
Dhazer: You dont see Jones/Nelson as guys who would get 8-900 yards and a few TDs if given starting roles? Because that is solid to very good play out of your #2 WR on most teams in the league, only a handful of teams have more than one guy that is going to give you 1000+ yards a season. Considering Jones get near 700 yards as a #3 guy in his rookie season, i dont see it very hard to believe he could put up #2 numbers. Now, having said all that, he has been a bit disappointing the last 2 years with injuries and inconsistent play, and needs to step it up and prove his worth or he will be replaced.

I dont think either of these guys will ever be a 1400 yard bonafide #1 WR, but GB hasn't seen one of those in many years either(sharp, walker in 2004). However a solid #2 isn't far fetched.

PS: Breatson(now #2) and Henderson/Meacham(whoever you want to call #3) on NO are about the only guys you can say are easily better #3 wrs than Jones/Nelson
blank
dhazer
14 years ago
Rock what I am saying is that for the money AP has played to justify the money he got paid, Rodgers was on the bench so at this point money wise AP was the better pick. Basically AP started from day 1 compared to Rodgers collecting money on the bench.

As far as Jones for some reason the main things I remember about him is him dropping pass after pass against the Bears and fumbling the ball. Nelson i wasn't impressed with the pick from day 1 and I still think it was a wasted pick I would of preferred James Hardy or Mr.Jackson

Edit: it don't matter much because they will both drop down a notch when we draft Dez at #23 lol ๐Ÿ˜›
Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be ๐Ÿ™‚ (PS, Zero should charge for this)
UserPostedImage
earthquake
14 years ago
From what i remember Rodgers signed a very friendly contract, and didn't make a whole lot for sitting on the bench, surely much less than AP has made, so this is sort of a moot point. I wouldn't be surprised to learn rodgers made average salary for a backup QB.
blank
earthquake
14 years ago
AP, drafted 7th overall to be MN's franchise back for the next 10 years, got a $40m contract with $17m garunteed.

AR, drafted 24 overall to be a backup and favre's eventual replacement signed a $7m contract worth up to 24m, but in reality was paid in the 7m range before getting his contract extension that provides him market-level starter's money(possibly a below market considering his play).

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_much_does_Aaron_Rodgers_make 
Someone smarter than me can figure it out, from what i can see here it breaks down like this:
2005 - 2,350,000
2006 - 3,320,000
2007 - 2009 - 2,200,000 ????

Peterson has one monster year, and declined play since. 2010 will be a very important year to see if he was just a splash in the pan, or if he really will be one of the greatest RBs of all time.

Rodgers sat quietly and waited his turn, and has turned in two solid pro-bowl caliber seasons back to back in his first years starting, with seemingly limitless potential heading into his 3rd year as a starter.

If you consider the insane deal rodgers was that late in the draft and his modest contract, its absolutely clear who was the better pick.

[edit]

Some more fun, lets look at some recent first round "Franchise" QB's and see what sort of contracts they've gotten.

2009:
#1 overall, Stafford - $72m, $41.7m GUARANTEED
#6 overall, Sanches - $44.5m, 28m GUARANTEED

#3 overall, Matt Ryan - $72m, 35.75 GUARANTEED
#18 overall, Joe Flacco - $30m, 8m guaranteed

#1 overall, JaMarcus Russell - $61m, 37m GUARANTEED
#22 overall, Brady Quinn - $20-30m, 7m guaranteed

Looking at it like this, you've be down-right foolish, possibly legally insane to think the money Rodger's got was anything short of a pittance, compared to market value for a franchise QB.
blank
Fan Shout
dfosterf (2h) : Kidding aside, I hope the best for him.
dfosterf (2h) : Went to a Titans board. One comment there. Not very long. I quote: "LOL" They don't sound overly upset about our aquisition.
beast (3h) : OT Dillard has been absolutely horrible... like OG Newman levels
dfosterf (3h) : Suit him up and have him stand in front of the big board as a draft day cautionary tale.
Zero2Cool (4h) : Packers sign T Andre Dillard.
Mucky Tundra (19h) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
Mucky Tundra (19h) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
Mucky Tundra (19h) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : โ€œWeโ€™re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.โ€
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#ร—k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
Martha Careful (6-Apr) : Go Boilermakers!!!
Martha Careful (5-Apr) : Diggs has not stepped up in the playoffs and has a high cost
beast (5-Apr) : Probably not going to let Diggs walk away unless he's horrible... but according to reports he also might not be as good as he used to be.
beast (5-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft has been an offensive player since 2017, 2 TE, 2 WR, 1 RB, 1 OC
Mucky Tundra (5-Apr) : Odd, why give up a 2025 2nd Rounder for him if you're just gonna let him walk?
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : Texans to let Diggs be free agent in '25
buckeyepackfan (4-Apr) : 49r's aign RB Patrick Taylor.
Martha Careful (4-Apr) : Reversion to the mean would indicate we will keep it
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : It's also been utilized in a trade in 14 of the past 20 years
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft hasn't been made by it's original holder since 2016.
Mucky Tundra (4-Apr) : Gotta imagine that Green Bay vs Houston will be a primetime game this upcoming season
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : No. Kill QB. No worries. ๐Ÿ˜
Mucky Tundra (3-Apr) : Diggs, Collins, Dell and Schultz is gonna be tough to cover
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Stefon Diggs' trade will not be processed as a post-June 1 designation, so that is just over $31 million in dead cap this year.
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Bills trading WR Stefon Diggs to the Texans in exchange for a 2025 2nd-round pick. (via @rapsheet)
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
44m / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

17h / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

19h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16-Apr / Random Babble / Martha Careful

15-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12-Apr / Random Babble / Nonstopdrivel

12-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

Copyright ยฉ 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.comโ„ข. All Rights Reserved.