Pack93z
  • Pack93z
  • Select Member Topic Starter
14 years ago
When TC opens this year.. this at the moment is the kid I want to see.. I think between him and Jones with a year under their belt we are going to see a bookend for Matthews appear..

http://packers.com/news/stories/2010/04/08/1/ 

by Mike Spofford, Packers.com
posted 04/08/2010

Last spring during mini-camps and OTAs, as he made the transition from college defensive end to professional outside linebacker, non-drafted rookie Cyril Obiozor faced challenges from all directions.

Physically, he was learning the new position in his first NFL practices at a robust 270 pounds, having trained all winter believing he would be drafted as a hand-on-the-ground defensive end. Instead, his down lineman's body was in a stand-up position.

"Looking around I was like, 'I can't do it at this weight,'" Obiozor said.

Mentally, Obiozor was feeling a bit overwhelmed as well. He was doing his best with new defensive coordinator Dom Capers' thick 3-4 playbook, but it was a lot to absorb, with more responsibilities required than at his old defensive end spot.

"They put the whole thing in at once, just handed it to us," Obiozor said. "I'm like, 'Wow.' A set of plays can seem like a different language if you don't understand how it corresponds to you."

Given all that, it's a notable achievement that Obiozor is still with the Green Bay Packers in year two. But there was simply too much raw athletic ability in the former Texas A&M standout for the Packers not to at least see what might come of it, given some time.

First, Obiozor took care of the physical challenge, using the five-week break between the end of OTAs and the start of training camp to "lean up," as he put it, to 251 pounds, a much more comfortable weight for an outside linebacker.

Then, while continuing to digest the playbook in bits and pieces, Obiozor put on display his considerable athleticism, speed and strength. It wasn't unusual in training camp to see him beating offensive lineman in one-on-one pass-rushing drills or pressuring the quarterback in the backfield during 11-on-11 periods.

It was almost impossible not to notice his impact, nor, however, outside linebackers coach Kevin Greene getting in his ear after nearly every snap.

"It wasn't my abilities, it was like, 'Obi, you were supposed to hit the B gap instead of the C gap on that play,'" Obiozor said. "It was kind of difficult, and I tried to get acclimated as soon as I could. But there's so many different intricacies in the defense that you're not aware of when you have your hand on the ground and you rush all the time. I had to learn a different level of the game, and it's not easily done.

"I'm starting to realize it really is important, because in this defense, if one person doesn't do the right thing, everything else is ... botched."

It's that more thorough understanding of the defensive scheme that Obiozor hopes to bring into his second season and show the Packers he's worthy of a roster spot, from the beginning this time.

Last year he was cut at the end of training camp, re-signed to the practice squad and then eventually elevated to the active roster for the final five regular-season games and the playoffs, when he played mostly on special teams and took a few snaps on defense.

He said he felt "almost game-ready" by the end of the season to play outside linebacker, a reflection of just how far away he was when training camp began. But the progress was evident, and if he makes the kinds of strides many second-year NFL players make, he certainly has a chance to see the field in 2010.

With the free-agent departure of Aaron Kampman to Jacksonville, the Packers will be looking to develop a pass rusher at outside linebacker to complement Pro Bowler Clay Matthews. Fellow second-year pro Brad Jones is the leading candidate at the moment, followed by veteran Brady Poppinga, but the competition also could include Jeremy Thompson (depending on his health as he returns from a neck injury), Obiozor and/or another acquisition or two via the draft.

In many ways, the odds are still stacked against Obiozor, but he doesn't necessarily see it that way, not with how far he's come already.

While he's working on getting stronger and more explosive during the current offseason program, he's dedicating just as much effort to film study and the mental side of the game, to prove to the coaching staff he fully grasps the playbook, and the big picture on defense.

"It's knowing where I fit in the scheme and knowing how to play the scheme," Obiozor said. "Athletically there's no problem. It's just schematically, I have to hone in."

Using his speed and athleticism to blaze down the field covering kickoffs and punts will help him make the roster as well. He recorded two special teams tackles in the six total contests he played last year, and special-teams contributions always factor into roster decisions involving young players who aren't locked in as starters.

But his goal is to be truly "game-ready" at outside linebacker in 2010, another challenge he intends to meet.

"It's about getting the trust from the coaching staff that I can execute what they tell me to execute," he said. "That's the most important factor. That's what I'm working on."

"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Dulak
14 years ago
cool article - I hope jeremy thompson sees a chiropractor and comes back healthy. ie he must be good if he was going to start at ROLB last year and then got injured.

I hope we get a upgrade in our LOLB position ...
British
14 years ago
With the jump players make from year 1 to year 2 I'm excited to see what Jones and Obi bring to the party in training camp.

Even if we draft an OLB high these two guys already have a headstart by knowing the playbook.

Personally I think we can leave OLB to the mid rounds in this draft where there seems to be quite some depth anyway.
UserPostedImage
millertime
14 years ago

With the jump players make from year 1 to year 2 I'm excited to see what Jones and Obi bring to the party in training camp.

Even if we draft an OLB high these two guys already have a headstart by knowing the playbook.

Personally I think we can leave OLB to the mid rounds in this draft where there seems to be quite some depth anyway.

"British" wrote:

Football is about two things. Getting to their QB, and protecting yours. Our team struggled with both of those at points during last season. Therefore, anyone who could help in those area would be a great addition.

If I'm TT, my draft looks like this.

1. Highest rated OLB or OT available.
2. Highest rated player at position not picked in round one.
3. Safety or Kick Returner
4. Whoever wasn't picked in round 3.

Then add warm bodies at CB, OC/OG, a punter, and a blocking TE with the rest of the picks.
British
14 years ago

"millertime" wrote:

Football is about two things. Getting to their QB, and protecting yours. Our team struggled with both of those at points during last season. Therefore, anyone who could help in those area would be a great addition.

If I'm Ted Thompson, my draft looks like this.

1. Highest rated OLB or OT available.
2. Highest rated player at position not picked in round one.
3. Safety or Kick Returner
4. Whoever wasn't picked in round 3.

Then add warm bodies at CB, OC/OG, a punter, and a blocking TE with the rest of the picks.

"British" wrote:

I'd be happy if it all fell nicely like that so we got our needs filled, but Ted Thompson doesn't appear to draft that way.

As fans we know the needs of our team more than the quality of the prospects. But GMs have draft boards with carefully created values for each and every player.

And we know Ted Thompson isn't going to overlook a blue chip player in order to drop a couple of tiers for 'the next best' player at a position of need.
Ted Thompson always refers to the Portland Trailblazers not picking Michael Jordan because they were deep at his position.

Likewise if Dez Bryant or Eric Berry are available at our second round pick (no way it happens I know) then it's likely Ted Thompson will pick them despite them not fitting your requirements for those picks.

And that's how the best drafters do it, you stick to your board, within reason, and take what the draft gives you.
UserPostedImage
all_about_da_packers
14 years ago

I'd be happy if it all fell nicely like that so we got our needs filled, but Ted Thompson doesn't appear to draft that way.

As fans we know the needs of our team more than the quality of the prospects. But GMs have draft boards with carefully created values for each and every player.

And we know Ted Thompson isn't going to overlook a blue chip player in order to drop a couple of tiers for 'the next best' player at a position of need.

"British" wrote:

I'd argue Ted has primarily drafted for need: he has taken the Best Available Player at positions of needs (almost always). Last year he pretty much said as much when it was revealed Crabtree was the top player on the Packers board, and Ted said they factored need into the decision to select Raji.

Someone recently pointed out something interesting to me: Ted doesn't take projects in the first round. He elaborated: Hawk - you knew he'd make the transition unlike Vernon Davis; Harrell - questions over injuries, but no one was calling him a project because of NFL caliber with his strength and burst off the snap; Raji - strength and quickness of NFL caliber D-linemen; Mathews - biggest question on him was his limited experience starting in college, but you couldn't question his speed and fact that he was a 3-down LB in College that covered TEs and hit hard.

SO, when you start looking at some of the projections people are making in Mock Drafts, and some other players that should be around - OT Bruce Campbelle, DE/OLB Jason Pierre-Paul, etc. - then you start to wonder if Ted has interest in them in the first round. Beyond their athleticism, there are concerns over if they can be molded into productive players. There hasn't been much questions like that if you look at the above first rounders.

I'm not saying Ted should stay away from drafting an OT in the first. I AM trying to say that beyond 2-3 specific Tackles, I don' believe he'll be willing to take a "boom or bust" player (tackles, especially) at 23. Too much uncertainty for Ted in the first round means he is likely going to stay away.

Get into the later rounds, though, and you can see Ted really loves to select such players - athletic and measurable through the roof, but production not really evident in College and questions about whether they can make transition to NFL.
The NFL: Where Greg Jennings Happens.
British
14 years ago
I'm almost certain Campbell and JPP are not going to interest Ted Thompson in the 1st for the reasons stated. Ted Thompson is on record as saying he draws up his draft board on game tape and that Combine numbers hardly change it at all.

Workout warriors like those two, who haven't shown that are players yet, are not likely to interest him imo.

My issue is that I don't think Ted Thompson says: "Ok, I'm going to draft the next best OT or OLB". He pretty much sticks to his board and when the value is pretty even but the need is much stronger one way or the other, like with Crabtree and Raji, he's happy to take the more needed pick.

This year we're even more in a position not to 'reach' down a tier as we don't have any 'must-fill' needs. We're in need of future starters and depth players so we can afford to grab the best value at the top of the draft even more than normal.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
dfosterf (3h) : The only problem with that is he isn't a guard either.
dfosterf (3h) : Put him at right guard. That is where he will be coached. That is where he will compete. He is not even allowed to look at the LT playbook.
dfosterf (19h) : Kidding aside, I hope the best for him.
dfosterf (19h) : Went to a Titans board. One comment there. Not very long. I quote: "LOL" They don't sound overly upset about our aquisition.
beast (19h) : OT Dillard has been absolutely horrible... like OG Newman levels
dfosterf (20h) : Suit him up and have him stand in front of the big board as a draft day cautionary tale.
Zero2Cool (21h) : Packers sign T Andre Dillard.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#×k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
Martha Careful (6-Apr) : Go Boilermakers!!!
Martha Careful (5-Apr) : Diggs has not stepped up in the playoffs and has a high cost
beast (5-Apr) : Probably not going to let Diggs walk away unless he's horrible... but according to reports he also might not be as good as he used to be.
beast (5-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft has been an offensive player since 2017, 2 TE, 2 WR, 1 RB, 1 OC
Mucky Tundra (5-Apr) : Odd, why give up a 2025 2nd Rounder for him if you're just gonna let him walk?
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : Texans to let Diggs be free agent in '25
buckeyepackfan (4-Apr) : 49r's aign RB Patrick Taylor.
Martha Careful (4-Apr) : Reversion to the mean would indicate we will keep it
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : It's also been utilized in a trade in 14 of the past 20 years
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft hasn't been made by it's original holder since 2016.
Mucky Tundra (4-Apr) : Gotta imagine that Green Bay vs Houston will be a primetime game this upcoming season
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : No. Kill QB. No worries. 😁
Mucky Tundra (3-Apr) : Diggs, Collins, Dell and Schultz is gonna be tough to cover
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17h / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

23h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16-Apr / Random Babble / Martha Careful

15-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12-Apr / Random Babble / Nonstopdrivel

12-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.