porky88
  • porky88
  • Veteran Member Topic Starter
13 years ago
The projected rounds for each player is a guess on which round I believe the player will be selected. It is not meant to reflect my view of the player or how I think the player will turn out as a pro. That reflection can be seen in the order I rank the player and the analysis I give.

1. Russell Okung, Oklahoma State
Okung is the most polished left tackle in the draft. While most left tackles are known for their pass blocking, Okung is an excellent run blocker as well. He can anchor a running game and is the type of offensive lineman that a team can build their running game around. He's a powerful player that finishes his blocks. He never lets up. I question whether or not he has a very high ceiling, but he's NFL ready right now and should make an impact immediately.

Projected Round: 1st

2. Bryan Bulaga, Iowa
Bulaga might not have the long arms that scouts like, but on tape, hes as good as any tackle in this draft including Okung. Extremely well coached by Kirk Ferentz, he's the most technically sound tackle in this draft. He's pro ready and should be a very good player for many years.

3. Trent Williams, Oklahoma
How versatile is Williams? Very because he can play all five positions along the offensive line. He also has most of the physical attributes you look for in a left tackle. Good footwork, size and athleticism. He was however, inconsistent as a left tackle in college, but dominating as a right tackle. In fact, he was the best right tackle in college football at one time. I think he may have a comfort level at right tackle, which is something that could effect his draft status. While some believe he's a left tackle and he certainly has the talent to do it, he might be just too good on the right side to want to play around with.

4. Charles Brown, Southern California
Brown has the long arms and footwork of a left tackle. He's one of the best pass protectors in the draft and has the frame to get bigger. He leaves something to be desire as a run blocker and can sometimes get overpowered, but overall, the more you see him, the more you like of him and realize that he has first round ability. His best football is clearly ahead of him.

5. Anthony Davis, Rutgers
Davis might be the most talented tackle in the draft from a measurable standpoint. He has long arms and excellent footwork. He also does a good job of extending his arms and using his feet to slide with his opponent. He looks like a natural left tackle. However, his work ethic has been brought into question and there are concerns about his maturity. How will he handle being a millionaire? None the less, talent isn't a concern and he's only 20 years old. He may have a learning period, but if taught well, he'll be a starter in the NFL.

6. Rodger Saffold, Indiana
While he's an inconsistent pass protector, Saffold has the ability to play left tackle in the pros. He has good balance with his good footwork and does a nice job of finishing blocks. He's a solid run blocker that has starting ability inside at guard, but still has the physical attributes teams like in their left tackles. I think he'll be drafted as a left tackle and develop into an above average one in the pros.

Projected Round: 2nd

7. Vladimir Ducasse, Massachusetts
The prototypical size for an NFL tackle, Ducasse is a powerful player that finishes his blocks well. He can take guys to the ground. He'll have trouble with more athletic pass rushers and might be a right tackle because of that, but he's a raw prospect with starting ability.

8. Bruce Campbell, Maryland
Campbell gave one of the most impressive combine workouts an offensive lineman ever gave. He has the long arms and size to be a left tackle in the pros. He also has the athleticism to get to the next level and handle the more athletic pass rushers. However, he doesn't finish blocks well and doesn't play up to his size. He's also very raw and not natural in the run game. He certainly looks the part off the field, but on the field he has along ways to go until he's ready. He shouldn't be thrown into the lineup immediately because he'll benefit from being taught the position for a year or two.

Projected Round: 1st or 2nd

9. Kyle Calloway, Iowa
If you're coached by Kirk Ferentz, you're well coached. Calloway has great technique and size to be a solid starting right tackle in the pros. He's a good run blocker that finishes his blocks. Plays with a bit of a nastiness too. However, he's a raw pass blocker and he doesn't handle speed rushers well. Also not very versatile. I think the only position for him is as a right tackle, but he has starting ability there.

Projected Round: 3rd or 4th

10. Jared Veldheer, Hillsdale (Mich.)
Played at a small school and didn't face top level competition, Veldheer will have to make an adjustment to the NFL and it won't be easy. However, he has ridiculous size. He's 6-8 and obviously he can get bigger. The measurables are there and he has the athleticism to play left tackle as well. He might be a project, but he's a developmental sleeper that could turn out to be a pretty good player.

Projected Round: 3rd

http://www.fantasyfootballjungle.com/articles/index.php?id=897 
porky88
  • porky88
13 years ago
1. Mike Iupati, Idaho
A mauler with exceptional size and strength, Iupati is the best guard prospect to arguably come out since Steve Hutchinson. His performance during senior bowl week had teams raving. Some people believe he has the ability to play tackle because of his measurables. However, he's not without flaws. He has poor hand placement, which could result into him getting called for several holding penalties as a pro. Still there aren't many guards that can anchor an offensive line or play all five positions. Iupati can do that, which makes him an unique talent.

2. Maurkice Pouncey, Florida
For his size, Pouncey does an excellent job of getting off the ball and using his leverage to gain an advantage on his opponents. He doesn't have the long arms like Iupati does and he played in Urban Meyers spread offense. That meant shotgun snaps just about every time. With that said, he's one of the best center prospects to come out in years and one of the more athletic. He has a chance to be a Pro Bowl caliber player at his position.

3. John Jerry, Mississippi
Powerful player that excels as a run blocker, Jerry possess the combination of size and strength that teams running a power run scheme will like. He was a right tackle at Mississippi, but he simply lacks the athleticism needed to take on some professional pass rushers.

Projected Round: 2nd or 3rd

4. Selvish Capers, West Virginia
A tackle that will probably be best suited for guard in the pros, Capers has the measurables teams love when evaluating offensive lineman. He has long arms and is athletic enough to get to the next level. He offers upside and versatility, but he must get more powerful. Still he looks like a prototype starting guard.

Projected Round: 3rd or 4th

5. Jon Asamoah, Illinois
One of the most athletic offensive lineman in the draft, Asamoah is a good pass blocker when he gets his arms extended. However, sometimes he struggles to do that. He also can be pushed around at times, but has no problem getting to the next level. Definitely a starting caliber guard in the NFL with upside.

Projected Round: 3rd

6. Jeff Byers, Southern California
While Byers lacks the ideal bulk, he has the frame to add pounds. He has excellent technique, but needs to get stronger. Always gives a strong effort and can get to the next level. Good senior bowl. Underrated and might be a sleeper that could be a starter in the zone blocking scheme. It's worth noting he might be limited to just that scheme.

Projected Round: 5th or 6th

7. Mike Johnson, Alabama
A versatile player that might get some looks as a tackle as well as a guard, Johnson does a nice job of gaining leverage on defenders. He's incredibly durable and reliable, but doesn't have a lot of upside. Might be bounced from position to position.

Projected Round: 4th

8. J.D. Walton, Baylor
Good run blocker that finishes his blocks well, Walton isn't very athletic and doesn't get off the ball quick. However, he has good technique and is crafty blocker. Wouldn't be shocked if he developed into a starter.

Projected Round: 4th or 5th

9. Matt Tennant, Boston College
While he could add weight and isn't much of an athlete, Tennant is a tall center that won't be engulfed by bigger defensive lineman. With more teams switching to a 3-4 and using big powerful defensive lineman, teams will be looking for big powerful centers to counter that.

10. Marshall Newhouse, TCU
Newhouse was a left tackle, but he's too undersized to play the position in the pros. He'll likely move to guard. He gets off the line of scrimmage well, but isn't long enough and will have to makeup for that with his technique and effort. The effort is there, but he needs work.

http://www.fantasyfootballjungle.com/articles/index.php?id=896 
porky88
  • porky88
13 years ago
1. Sam Bradford, Oklahoma
Bradford can make every throw at the next level and is one of the most accurate quarterbacks to come out in recent memory. His down the field accuracy is already pro quality. He's a student of the game and he'll make changes at the line of scrimmage. Very smart. Durability is a concern and the offense he played in at Oklahoma wasn't your prototype offense. However, Bradford did take snaps from under center and ran a lot of playaction from under center as well. He'll obviously need to adjust, but his adjustment won't be nearly as hard as Tim Tebow or Colt McCoy. He's athletic enough to get out of the pocket and make the tough throw. Can create something out of nothing. I believe Bradford to be the best quarterback prospect of the last five drafts along with Matt Ryan. Like Ryan, Bradford is a franchise quarterback at the next level.

2. Jimmy Clausen, Notre Dame
One of the biggest college recruits of the last decade, Clausen made great strides as a passer his junior year. He's a smart player with experience in a pro style offense and has proven that he rises to the occasion when the moment calls for it. He's played through pain and his toughness is unquestionable. The arm strength is also there and so is the accuracy. With that said, he sometimes plays it safe more than you'd like. Does he have the killer instinct that separates the great players from the good ones? The ball might sail on him at times and he's not very athletic. He's a first round talent, but he's not on the same level as a Bradford or a Matt Ryan. I think he's a good talent, but maybe not great. With that in mind, don't be surprised if Clausen has trouble finding a team come draft day. He could slide down further than some expect.

3. Colt McCoy, Texas
McCoy has the athleticism to move outside of the pocket and create plays either by scrambling or with his arm. However, he doesn't have a strong arm and there are concerns about whether or not he can make all the throws. He is accurate though and does a nice job getting rid of the ball quickly. While Drew Brees has defied NFL scouts with the height factor, it's hardly something that will ever go away. McCoy is closer to 6-0 than he is 6-2, which could turn some teams off. Overall, McCoy is certainly capable of developing into a starting quarterback. He looks like your prototype west coast offense signal caller where he could have success with the short passing game.

Projected Round: 1st or 2nd

4. Tim Tebow, Florida
Tebow is probably the most talked about second round pick to ever enter the NFL draft. He has great athleticism for a quarterback and solid build. His arm strength is that of an NFL caliber quarterback, but the ball doesn't always look pretty coming out. His accuracy is a huge work in progress and he needs to do a better job with ball placement if he's going to develop into a starter. He also played in Urban Meyer's spread offense and there will be a developmental period for him as he adjusts. When you get through all the media hoopla, everything that is wrong with Tebow can be fixed. He'll need two or probably three years of coaching at the next level to develop into a starter. Think Aaron Rodgers and Phillip Rivers. If he gets that type of coaching, he'll be a starter. If he's forced to play right away, it's going to be an uphill climb.

5. Jevan Snead, Mississippi
Projected by many to be a first round pick as late as Fall, Snead followed up a solid sophomore year with an awful junior year. Despite this, Snead has a strong arm, prototypical size and the athleticism you need to be a successful starting quarterback. His accuracy can be all over the place a times and his decision making is also questionable. He has the ability to start in the NFL, but he'll need a quarterback guru to take him under his wing and develop him as his pet project. If that happens, it wouldn't surprise me if Snead ends up being a better pro than either McCoy or Tebow.

6. Mike Kafka, Northwestern
Everyone has a sleeper for every position. A name you might hear as a sleeper among quarterbacks is Kafka. He has the size and athleticism you look for in a starter and his arm strength is definitely good enough to pass the test. His accuracy is a work in progress and he played in a spread offense so he'll have to develop. However, his skill set is intriguing and he has all the tools for a coach to work with.

7. John Skelton, Fordham
Skelton has one of the strongest arms in the draft. He's big and tall and throws a pretty deep ball. The ball also comes out of his hand very well. His accuracy needs work and his footwork is a bit sloppy at times, but he's a sleeper prospect with a lot of upside.

8. Tony Pike, Cincinnati
Tall and lanky, Pike had an outstanding 2009 season. In fact, I thought he was a sleeper for the Heisman until he got hurt about midway through the season. For his size, Pike's arm isn't going to wow you, but it's fairly strong none the less. Above average accuracy and durability are concerns. His mechanics are raw too. Senior Bowl was below average and he's probably a backup in the pros.

9. Levi Brown, Troy
An accurate passer with prototypical size, Brown is an intriguing prospect that will get a look late in this draft. He has good pocket presence and knows when to get rid of the ball. However, his arm strength is questionable and his mechanics needs work. Looks more like backup than a starter.

Projected Round: 5th

10. Dan LeFevour, Central Michigan
LeFevour played in a spread offense and will have to adjust to a prototype offense in the pros. He decided not to throw at the combine, which was a mistake in my view. It really didn't make any sense what so ever. Still his arm strength looks limited, but he's an accurate passer none the less, particularly in the short passing game. A great athlete that someone will probably attempt to develop as a starter.

http://www.fantasyfootballjungle.com/articles/index.php?id=898 
Packers_Finland
13 years ago
Nice one again, you reason your picks very well.

I think Selvish is an OT and Ducasse is a Guard, but it all depends on what system they go to I guess.

The only reason why I don't think Colt should be a first rounder, is that he doesn't make good reads. I think that's an important part when evaluating prospects. But the fact is, he will go that high, because teams need people who can keep their fans happy.

Looking forward to the next batch.
This is a placeholder
Fan Shout
dfosterf (16h) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (16h) : Yes
Zero2Cool (17h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (19h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (20h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (23h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (28-Mar) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (28-Mar) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
1h / Around The NFL / Zero2Cool

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.