Dulak
13 years ago

So Dulak, do you think Ted Thompson might still address the CB position? Or is it because Mike McCarthy has faith in what we got (and assuming the doctors are telling Mike McCarthy that Harris will be 100% in 2010)?

"zombieslayer" wrote:

Well after listening to teds speeches he seems pretty satisfied by our corners; although the media there sure didnt feel that way and he wasnt that reassuring to them on the matter.

I see they got at least 1 UDFA to check out at the corner position.

I have a feeling they wont do any trades for awhile and might stick with what they have.

Last I heard was Al was having a tuff time with his recovery ie like it was a bad tear. I hope he really does well because he was my favorite corner on this team (ie loved his play style).

it is a bit interesting that most people felt that our OLB and corner position is the things that we needed the most help on and we didnt draft either.

Yes Oline needed help but we stepped up toward the last 1/2 of the season so most of us felt reassumred we wernt going to have another 50 sack season again (on rodgers).

IMO these strange picks in the draft still could work out ... ie maybe this OT with short arms will be better then someone with longer arms, and maybe these DEs will allow our OLBers to get more sacks, and maybe burnett will allow us to be more secure at the safety position and allow our corners too do better ...

least I am hoping
zombieslayer
13 years ago
Yeah. I said after the first round (in the chat) that if we didn't get a OLB or a CB, I'd drown this kitten. Well, I had to stay true to my word. Sorry kitten. (Now watch some PETA member think I'm being serious and have a cow).

I am glad for this S pick as both parts of DB needed to be addressed. Good to know that our higher ups are confident with our CB position although you're saying that Harris is having problems. That scares me. I personally don't think our young guys are ready to replace Harris yet. Williams is IMO our best, but then our 3rd CB will get smoked as the drop off after Williams is pretty frightening.

We'll see how this pans out. Maybe one of our newer draft picks can generate more pressure and opposing QBs won't have time to exploit our secondary. I know I keep using this example over and over again, but the Giants won a SB with a mediocre secondary, and it was against the best O I've ever seen too.

And just maybe Burnett (from what I've read) is enough of a ball hawk that he could turn our weakness into a strength. One INT can make a huge difference in a game. The Saints took a #20 D to the SB and won it just by generating takeaways in crucial moments.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
Nonstopdrivel
13 years ago

Packers 2010 3rd Round Draft Choice, Georgia Tech S Morgan Burnett 
by Brandon on Apr 23, 2010 9:01 PM CDT in Draft

The Green Bay Packers really needed depth in the secondary and they found a talented player in the 3rd round of the 2010 NFL draft, Georgia Tech S Morgan Burnett.

I hadn't liked that many of the top cornerbacks were smaller, in the 5'10", 195 lbs. range. And that few college safeties had a 2nd round grade. I had chosen a cornerback in the 2nd round of the SB Nation mock draft, but I wasn't sold on him and I liked many of the alternatives in the 2nd round even less. Maybe if S Taylor Mays had continued to fall in the 2nd round, then he could have been an option. But Burnett is a good fit in the 3rd round because has more size (6'1" 209 lbs.) than most of the cornerback options and the only reason he's only a 3rd round prospect is because of inconsistencies.

To move up and select Burnett near the top of the 3rd round they swapped 3rd round picks with the Eagles and gave up their 4th round pick. As a general rule, I don't like trading away draft picks, but the Packers have enough roster battles on their hands and it's more important to move up and draft the player they like then adding more quantity.

Not surprisingly, Georgia Tech fans love the guy. Here's BirdGT at From The Rumble Seat:

M. Burnett - Georgia Tech DB #1
Unlike his predecessors at Tech (Ravens safety Dawan Landry and Giants safety James Butler), Morgan Burnett's game is speed. He is lightning quick and breaks on passes like it's nobody's business. The Tech safety racked up 14 interceptions over his three year career at Tech because he had enough speed to react to poorly thrown footballs and the hands to snab the errant throws.

UserPostedImage
PackerTraxx
13 years ago
He has some nice measureables and I like the ballhawking comments about, we need that even though we've done well. I have a gut feeling this guy is going to be really good given time.
Why is Jerry Kramer not in the Hall of Fame?
Greg C.
13 years ago
I agree with the positive feeling in this thread. In Rob Demovsky's chat in the Green Bay Press Gazette yesterday, there was a comment that I thought was very interesting. Demovsky liked it, and so do I. I will let it speak for itself:

[Comment From Andy from DC |WI Native|]
Hey Rob. So the Pack were getting a lot of flack for not taking a CB or OLB for their passing woes. Well they got ate up by big time QBs specifically over the middle with quick drop, quick release throws where our pocket wasn't collapsing in on the QB. From that stand point we drafted a couple DTs and DEs and a Safety to help with just that. Sure, a CB and OLB would be nice, but it's easy to say, they had a lot of passing yards thrown on them, so draft a sacker and a CB. I think looking at exactly why, and the technique of how it was done, one would conclude they drafted the more necessary guys (especially if they were ranked higher than OLB or CB at the time).
blank
all_about_da_packers
13 years ago
^ I'll add another very interesting comment that I saw made by Brian at Railbird Central blog...

The Packers didn't address a seemingly big need at outside linebacker. Here's my thought process. They're higher on both Brad Jones and Cyril Obiozor than most of us realize. But I've been thinking about this other one for a while ... The quick release of guys like Brett Favre and Kurt Warner really negate any sort of pass rush. It didn't matter if the Packers had James Harrison at outside linebacker against those teams last year. They weren't going to get any more sacks.

Link 
The NFL: Where Greg Jennings Happens.
Pack93z
13 years ago

I agree with the positive feeling in this thread. In Rob Demovsky's chat in the Green Bay Press Gazette yesterday, there was a comment that I thought was very interesting. Demovsky liked it, and so do I. I will let it speak for itself:

[Comment From Andy from DC |WI Native|]
Hey Rob. So the Pack were getting a lot of flack for not taking a CB or OLB for their passing woes. Well they got ate up by big time QBs specifically over the middle with quick drop, quick release throws where our pocket wasn't collapsing in on the QB. From that stand point we drafted a couple DTs and DEs and a Safety to help with just that. Sure, a CB and OLB would be nice, but it's easy to say, they had a lot of passing yards thrown on them, so draft a sacker and a CB. I think looking at exactly why, and the technique of how it was done, one would conclude they drafted the more necessary guys (especially if they were ranked higher than OLB or CB at the time).

"Greg C." wrote:

Warhawk/Rock/ Other and I had this debate this offseason.. I put more of the blame on the Safeties and lack of adjustments/communication for our meltdown coverage games.. IE Arizona.. there was no way even LT would have gotten to Warner.. the coverage breakdowns happened that quickly.

I had it as our biggest need vs OT.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (14m) : No.
Mucky Tundra (2h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (3h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (5h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (6h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (17h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
17h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

17h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

17h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.