Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago

Quarless: An interesting TE for Packers 
April, 24, 2010

By Kevin Seifert

There is quite an interesting story behind Penn State tight end Andrew Quarless, whom Green Bay selected with the first of its two fifth-round picks Saturday.

Anyone who watched Big 10 football last year knows Quarless was a scary tight end who weighs 255 pounds but gets downfield like a wide receiver. You might also know that Quarless had so many off-field issues that he had to talk Penn State coach Joe Paterno out of kicking him off the team.

First, here is the off-field history from Scouts Inc.:

2007: Cited for underage drinking two weeks before the start of the season. Penn State suspends him for the first two games of the season. 2008: Gets cited for two counts of DUI, a traffic violation and underage drinking for an incident that occurred at 3 a.m. on March 2. Penn State suspends him from the team until the conclusion of spring practice. Sentenced to 15 month rehabilitation program. Police find a small amount of marijuana in apartment he shares with A.J. Wallace, Abe Koroma and Maurice Evans. He is suspended for the season opener (Coastal Carolina.) Though he does not play, he is reinstated the following week (Oregon State) when information indicates he is not connected to the marijuana. 2009: Head coach Joe Paterno says Quarless has been a leader this year.

Quarless told Wisconsin reporters that he hasn't had a drink since the 2008 DUI arrest. He convinced Paterno that he would change his life. He also said he proved in a drug test that he had not used the marijuana found in his apartment.

Put down Quarless squarely in the risk-reward category. He could be the next Jermichael Finley, or we might never see him on the field.

UserPostedImage
HoustonMatt
14 years ago
I love the idea that college kids who drink and smoke pot are all of the sudden "character problems." I have no idea whether or not this kid will be a good player or not, but the fact that he liked to party a little in college has no absolutely no bearing on his future success.

For whatever reason, people seem to hold college athletes to a higher standard than other college kids. I know some seriously smart and well adjusted people who drank, smoked weed and did cocaine all through college (and still do from time to time). These people are your bankers, pilots, teachers, doctors, lawyers, etc. Yet we're supposed to concern ourselves because a Tight End may like to get high from time to time?

Again, I don't know if Quarless is going to be a good player or not, but his "character issues" from college aren't even remotely a problem in my mind.
blank
Zero2Cool
14 years ago
I thought college years were the time of experimenting? Now experimenting means you have character flaws?

The DUI no excuse for that though.
UserPostedImage
djcubez
14 years ago
This pick is amazing. If we can teach this kid to block even a little bit we could line up in a 2 TE formation (Quarless, Finley) with a single back (Grant/Starks) and 2 WR (Jennings, Driver) and audible to a shotgun spread. That would create serious match-up problems. Imagine it on the goal line.
Packers_Finland
14 years ago

For whatever reason, people seem to hold college athletes to a higher standard than other college kids. I know some seriously smart and well adjusted people who drank, smoked weed and did cocaine all through college (and still do from time to time). These people are your bankers, pilots, teachers, doctors, lawyers, etc. Yet we're supposed to concern ourselves because a Tight End may like to get high from time to time?

"HoustonMatt" wrote:

I don't care about drug usage with these prospects at all. But DUI is just retarded.
This is a placeholder
go.pack.go.
14 years ago
Well, as he proved with a drug test, he never used the Marijuana.
UserPostedImage
digsthepack
14 years ago
Recall, if you will, the fits that Chewey and Keith Jackson created for DCs back in the mid-late 1990s. Now, envision that with two much better athletes. If the kid has his life on track...and it sounds as if he does....the Finley/Quarless combo could be lethal. And, the kid could also be the next in line if Finley gets all headcase on the next contract. While it left me scratching my head initially, it looks like a nice pick to me after some further thought.
State Motto: "Wisconsin, our serial murderers eat their kill!"
14 years ago
Providing Rodgers with even more talented weapons like this is almost unfair.
UserPostedImage
digsthepack
14 years ago
Dear Lord...Rodgers is a rock star, isn't he?? Ted Thompson learned from Ron Wolf's greatest regret....not providing #4 with all the weapons he could have, and should have.
State Motto: "Wisconsin, our serial murderers eat their kill!"
13 years ago
New youtube video up:

UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
buckeyepackfan (18h) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (18h) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (18h) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (21h) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (21h) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
wpr (23-Apr) : Just about time to watch Sonny Weaver stick it to the seahags. I never get tired of it.
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : *game plan
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : IMHO, not even close. He is not a guy you game play around.
Mucky Tundra (23-Apr) : is Aiyuk worth a 1st rounder?
Zero2Cool (23-Apr) : 49ers are seeking a 1st round pick in exchange for WR Brandon Aiyuk
Mucky Tundra (22-Apr) : Based on Gutes comments, now I don't feel as silly having 13 picks in my mock the other day
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Zach Wilson to Broncos.
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Gutekunst says he'd love to have 13 or 14 picks. He's trading back huh lol
beast (22-Apr) : Someday we'll have a draft betting scandal
beast (21-Apr) : Sometimes looking extremely amazing, sometimes looking extremely lost
beast (21-Apr) : I haven't looked into the QBs, but some have suggested Maye has some of the most extremely inconsistent tape they've seen
beast (21-Apr) : Well it also sounds like Patriots are listening to trade offers, not that seriously considering any, but listening means they aren't locked
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Maye needs to be AFC
Mucky Tundra (21-Apr) : Not liking the idea of the Vikings getting Maye
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Vikings HC joked that he may or may not have sent flowers to Bob Kraft. That's where rumor came from.
beast (21-Apr) : Can't tell if this is real or BS, but some rumors about a possible Patriots/Vikings trade for #3 overall
dfosterf (21-Apr) : One playbook to my knowledge. I was shooting for facetious.
beast (20-Apr) : I'm not sure they have different playbooks for different OL positions, and Dillard run blocking is supposedly worse than his pass blocking..
dfosterf (19-Apr) : The only problem with that is he isn't a guard either.
dfosterf (19-Apr) : Put him at right guard. That is where he will be coached. That is where he will compete. He is not even allowed to look at the LT playbook.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Kidding aside, I hope the best for him.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Went to a Titans board. One comment there. Not very long. I quote: "LOL" They don't sound overly upset about our aquisition.
beast (18-Apr) : OT Dillard has been absolutely horrible... like OG Newman levels
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Suit him up and have him stand in front of the big board as a draft day cautionary tale.
Zero2Cool (18-Apr) : Packers sign T Andre Dillard.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
16m / Green Bay Packers Talk / go.pack.go.

2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

19h / Random Babble / beast

22-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

21-Apr / Fantasy Sports Talk / dfosterf

21-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

19-Apr / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.