Nonstopdrivel
13 years ago

Satisfaction Flows From Packers Draft Day War Room 
Thompson Feels Team Is Stronger Following Draft

By Scott Beedy
Staff Writer
Channel 3000

GREEN BAY, Wis. -- The Green Bay Packers ended the 2010 NFL draft with seven draft picks. One in each of the first three rounds, none in the fourth round, two in the fifth round and one in each of the sixth and seventh rounds.

"I am pleased to get to this point," said Packers General Manager Ted Thompson. "The work that our guys put into it, it's nice to get to the end of it and feel like you've helped the team."

Instead of two long days, the new draft format, which Thompson is on record saying he is not a fan of, turned into three-not-quite-as-long days. But what was added was a lot of waiting around, especially since the Packers started Saturday with a lengthy wait until their round five pick.

"There are all different kind of scenarios that you think a way the draft might fall or who might be available at a certain time," said Thompson. "But considering the guys we got, where we got them, we were surprised, especially Saturday."

Going into the draft the Packers seemed to have a handful of needs, including offensive line, linebacker and defensive line depth, and secondary depth.

The Packers picked offensive tackle Brian Bulaga to start things out on Thursday night. They added a defensive tackle on Thursday in Mike Neal and then traded up in the third round to choose safety Morgan Burnett.
"When it got to be the fourth-round pick, considering who we could have taken at our original pick in the third, we said we were very happy we had Burnett," said Thompson. "Not that we wouldn't have picked there and hopefully gotten a good player, but we felt like it was worth it."

After that you could be a bit more critical of the Packers' choices. They went with a tight end in the fifth round who had some off-the-field issues in college and an offensive tackle that will likely play guard in the NFL. In the sixth round they drafted a running back with a history of injury problems and they wrapped up the draft with a defensive end.

Here's what they didn't pick. They passed on drafting any cornerbacks. That indicates the Packers are optimistic about the health of Will Blackmon, Pat Lee, and Al Harris.

"Again, it would have been fine if the board would have worked out where we had taken a (cornerback)," Thompson said. "But it just didn't work that way. Yeah, we have a large number of guys (at cornerback) and we're working through some of the young guys that haven't played very much, and certainly the injury things that you mentioned."

The Packers also could have opted for a linebacker to play opposite Clay Matthews in the teams' 3-4 defensive scheme. That too, indicated the green and gold are pleased with the options they have already in place.
"Brad Jones and Brady Poppinga are lined up over there," said Thompson. "Brad did pretty well during the limited time that he played there last year, and we're going to work at it. We didn't draft any linebackers this year, but still we're going to be trying to add some stuff to that position, sure."

The Packers, like 31 other teams in the league, now have turned to signing rookie free agents. It's very possible to see the team pick up players at linebacker and cornerback to compete for roster spots.

One area that the Packers feel very strong about is the additions they made on the offensive line through the draft, including Bulaga and Marshall Newhouse.

"I feel good," Thompson said. "I feel better now that we've added these two young men to the group. I think they'll fit in really good. We'll see how they match up with our existing guys. We have several classes of younger players on our team at that position, and of course we have the two tackles that have been here for a while. But I feel good about our offensive line. I like the two guys that we added and I think they'll fit in with our room very well."

Overall, the Packers draft grade will be decided in the years to come rather than the days ahead, but at least publicly, Thompson and his staff seem pleased with seven picks they made in the 2010 draft.

"I don't know how to quantify how much better, (but) I think we're a better team," said Thompson. "I think we're a stronger group and a more solid 53-man throughout."

Copyright 2010 by Channel 3000. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Mucky Tundra (28m) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (1h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (3h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (4h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (15h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (22h) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (23h) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (23h) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Hip drop is not. Super confusing. Referees job is harder
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

22h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.