Nonstopdrivel
13 years ago

Bah, humbug: NFC North post-draft holes 
April, 26, 2010
By Kevin Seifert

UserPostedImage

No point in the NFL year is filled with more optimism than the week after the draft, when every team is basking in what it considers undeniable across-the-board improvements. But unless the 2010 season is characterized by a rash of ties, were going to have the same number of losses as we did last year -- some by chance, a few by strategy and many as a result of flawed team building.

So this is my opportunity to play Scrooge. (I believe I was born for the role, but thats another story.) We spent the past four days hyping the additions in Chicago, Detroit, Green Bay and Minnesota. Now, with the draft concluded and the top half of the free-agent market accounted for, we must acquiesce to reality and note where each team still falls short.

(A Scroogism: How shall I ever understand this world? There is nothing on which it is so hard as poverty, and yet, there is nothing it condemns with such severity as the pursuit of wealth.)

[img_r]http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2010/0426/nfl_i_burnett_300.jpg[/img_r]We took an in-depth look last month at Green Bays plans to improve its pass defense. That plan, I think we can safely say, does not include significant personnel changes. In fact, the Packers have added only one player who could impact this segment of their team: Third-round safety Morgan Burnett, and thats if he beats out Atari Bigby for a starting job.

Many of us thought the Packers would target an outside linebacker at No. 23. I cant blame them for passing up Sergio Kindle or Jerry Hughes in favor of left tackle Bryan Bulaga, who filled what might have been the franchises biggest single need. But wrapping up the draft without a single player at the position means that, for now, the Packers will look to Brady Poppinga and Brad Jones at the position manned for much of last year by Aaron Kampman.

The Packers also havent addressed the cornerback position, putting a premium on their belief that veterans Al Harris, Will Blackmon and Pat Lee will all return healthy from major injuries this summer.

I think we got guys that can come in and make an impact, general manager Ted Thompson said. I've said all along I think we have a good team. I think we have a team that's going to be competitive week in and week out. And at those positions, we have some guys that are dinged up, but we don't necessarily think that's going to be an ongoing problem.

Thompson added that the Packers are still doing some work at the outside linebacker spot, but its uncertain if he meant adding rookie free agents or if he would target a veteran. Often a second wave of free agency occurs after the draft, and New England kicked it off Monday morning by releasing veteran Adalius Thomas.

Improving a segment of your team doesnt necessarily mean swapping out players. Last month, coach Mike McCarthy detailed some practice changes and new priorities for his pass defense. For the most part, the Packers will do it with the same players they had last year. Take that for what its worth.

We have to consider Chicagos draft in relative terms; that it sat out the first and second rounds and still got one likely starter in safety Major Wright is impressive. But the Bears werent able to do anything to address their personnel gap at left guard.

As you recall, the Bears have moved Frank Omiyale to right tackle and left a host of young players -- Josh Beekman and Lance Louis among them -- in the mix at left guard. But lets face reality: The Bears tried replacing Beekman last year with Omiyale, and Louis was a seventh-round pick.

General manager Jerry Angelo acknowledged he made a run at trading for Seattle guard Rob Sims, who ultimately landed in Detroit. Angelo also left open the possibility of pursuing veteran Alan Faneca, but also touted his current depth.

Well look into some things like we did before the draft, Angelo said. We looked into Rob Sims. We looked into a couple other guys that didnt work out. So well continue to look. [But] we do like the players that we have here. [Offensive line coach Mike Tice] has told me that. If hes not said it publicly, he certainly has told us in our meetings that hes comfortable with our line. But again, well continue to look.

Tice was an excellent line coach in Minnesota and developed a number of unheralded prospects into full-time starters. So I wouldnt consider what Angelo said as merely lip service. But if the Bears are going to improve at left guard, it wont be as a result of the first wave of free agency or in the draft.

Detroit had across-the-board concerns with its pass defense, and I appreciate the way the Lions have addressed it this offseason. Much like an episode of Hoarders, they began in one corner and started digging themselves out.

That corner turned out to be the defensive line, where theyve improved their pass rush and overall strength by adding rookie Ndamukong Suh to go with Kyle Vanden Bosch and Corey Williams. That strategy made their secondary, well, a secondary priority.

The only starter expected to return is safety Louis Delmas, a rising star. But I think even the Lions would acknowledge their depth at cornerback -- not to mention the identity of their other starting safety -- is a concern. They acquired Atlanta cornerback Chris Houston in the offseason to start on one side, and rookie Amari Spievey could figure on the other. Free agent Adam Pacman Jones is still available as well.

To be clear, if I had a choice between overhauling a defensive line and revamping the secondary, I would choose the Lions approach every time. A playmaking front can help a weaker secondary more consistently than the reverse.

Minnesota filled what many considered its top short-term needs with its first two picks, selecting cornerback Chris Cook and tailback Toby Gerhart in the second round. I think Minnesotas roster is relatively balanced and deep, and I think director of college scouting Scott Studwell was just being honest when he said:

Its going to be hard for some young players to make this football team, to be honest with you. Weve built this roster up to the point where its hard to say that five or six or seven draft picks are all going to make it.

But if I had to pick an area of concern, I would focus on the safety position. Tyrell Johnson briefly lost his job last season to seventh-round draft pick Jamarca Sanford, and veteran Madieu Williams had some questionable moments as well. At this point, it will be up to Sanford alone to pressure Johnson and Williams in training camp.

I also think, and Ive probably mentioned it once or twice, that the Vikings have erred by not aggressively pursuing an eventual successor to Brett Favre. With a relatively deep roster, and the apparent conviction that Favre will return for at least one more season, now would have been a perfect time to at least take a swing at starting an orderly transition process.

But as I wrote Saturday, Ill stop banging the drum on that one. Really. I mean it.

A final Scroogism: There is no such thing as rich enough; only poor enough.

UserPostedImage
Stevetarded
13 years ago
I guess I don't think it's as critical to replace Brad Jones as everyone else does. He came in as an undersized late round pick in his rookie year and put up 4 sacks. Sure his pass rush could use some work but during the period of time that Jones got his 4 sacks Clay Matthews had 6 and he is considered a very good pass rusher. I could understand considering him a big weakness had he been bad vs the run or in coverage but he was actually pretty good in those areas too.

I'm all for some good training camp competition but I don't think beating out Jones would be as simple as some seem to think.
blank
nerdmann
13 years ago
Jones wasn't as great as Clay, but he was an upgrade over Kampman at the position. We can get it done with those two guys. My issue is I'd like to see some depth there. What if we lose one (or lord forbid BOTH) of those guys?
My depth chart:
Right side: Clay, Chillar, Havner, Poppinga.
Left side: Jones, Obiozor, Havner, Poppinga.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
djcubez
13 years ago
My first problem with this article is he called Pat Lee a veteran. What? Sure hes been on our roster all of TWO YEARS. Has he really even played in a regular season game? I never really understood why Seifert wrote or ESPN. The guy does offer good analysis but whenever he tries to state something as fact it's almost completely off-base.

And I also have a problem with the fact that he considers pass defense positions solely in the defensive backfield. What? A good pass rush doesn't improve a good pass defense?

He doesn't even mention that the Packers brought in THREE OLB UDFA's. Annoying. The sad part is my goal in this post is not even to defend the Packers as a Packers fan. I'm defending them as a football fan. It's annoying to know that a writer on a network as big as ESPN can ignore such big factors in his columns.

Oh and one more thing. We have eight cornerbacks on the roster including those coming off of IR. Am I really the only who knows this? Did we really need to get another one?

[/drunk rant--I just was at the bucks playoff game. A bit euphoric/drunk]
PackerTraxx
13 years ago
If we had 3 or 4 first round picks we could probably address all our nedds. Like many other teams could.
Why is Jerry Kramer not in the Hall of Fame?
Fan Shout
dfosterf (19-Apr) : The only problem with that is he isn't a guard either.
dfosterf (19-Apr) : Put him at right guard. That is where he will be coached. That is where he will compete. He is not even allowed to look at the LT playbook.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Kidding aside, I hope the best for him.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Went to a Titans board. One comment there. Not very long. I quote: "LOL" They don't sound overly upset about our aquisition.
beast (18-Apr) : OT Dillard has been absolutely horrible... like OG Newman levels
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Suit him up and have him stand in front of the big board as a draft day cautionary tale.
Zero2Cool (18-Apr) : Packers sign T Andre Dillard.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#×k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
Martha Careful (6-Apr) : Go Boilermakers!!!
Martha Careful (5-Apr) : Diggs has not stepped up in the playoffs and has a high cost
beast (5-Apr) : Probably not going to let Diggs walk away unless he's horrible... but according to reports he also might not be as good as he used to be.
beast (5-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft has been an offensive player since 2017, 2 TE, 2 WR, 1 RB, 1 OC
Mucky Tundra (5-Apr) : Odd, why give up a 2025 2nd Rounder for him if you're just gonna let him walk?
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : Texans to let Diggs be free agent in '25
buckeyepackfan (4-Apr) : 49r's aign RB Patrick Taylor.
Martha Careful (4-Apr) : Reversion to the mean would indicate we will keep it
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : It's also been utilized in a trade in 14 of the past 20 years
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft hasn't been made by it's original holder since 2016.
Mucky Tundra (4-Apr) : Gotta imagine that Green Bay vs Houston will be a primetime game this upcoming season
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : No. Kill QB. No worries. 😁
Mucky Tundra (3-Apr) : Diggs, Collins, Dell and Schultz is gonna be tough to cover
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
33m / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

19-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

19-Apr / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16-Apr / Random Babble / Martha Careful

15-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12-Apr / Random Babble / Nonstopdrivel

12-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.