Pack93z
13 years ago
4.2... I would love to line him up against another burner just to see.

Green Bay Packers eye speedy Sam Shields of Miami for special teams 

Ahmad Carroll had speed. So did Chris Johnson.

That didnt mean they could play cornerback or any other position for that matter for the Green Bay Packers.

So just because Sam Shields can run like the wind is no guarantee hell make the team. After all, he began playing cornerback only a year ago after spending his first three seasons as a receiver at the University of Miami.

Even though Shields signed with the Packers as an undrafted free agent this week, his speed and potential make an intriguing prospect. He ran the 40-yard dash in 4.3 seconds during his pro day workout in Coral Gables, Fla., on March 26.

He usually runs 4.2, said former Miami teammate Khalil Jones, who is a first-year safety with the Packers. I heard it was a wet surface or he could have run 4.1. Ive been around some fast guys, Devin Hester. Ive run track with fast guys. I consider myself a fast guy, but Sams got exceptional speed.

That didnt help Carroll (2004) or Johnson (2003), both former Packers draft picks who came as speed guys but didnt stick long. Both had more experience than Shields, but he might have a better chance to make an impact, if not at cornerback, then on special teams.

The 5-foot-11, 184-pound Shields was a standout on Miamis special teams but not as a return man. He excelled in less-heralded roles such as gunner.

Thats very important, Shields said of playing special teams. Dealing with (Miami) coach (Randy) Shannon, you couldnt travel unless you were on special teams. Coming to any organization, thats the best thing you can do to get on the 53-man roster.

Shields might have a chance as a returner, too. Wisconsin fans should remember the 84-yard kickoff return he had against the Badgers on a reverse on the opening play of the Champs Sports Bowl last season. It was the only return of his college career, but the Packers have told him they plan to try him in that role. In the first practice of rookie orientation camp on Friday, Shields fielded punts and kickoffs during special teams periods and looked smooth.

Thats someone that jumped out at everybody, just talking with (cornerbacks coach) Joe Whitt as we were walking off the field, Packers coach Mike McCarthy said after practice. He has exceptional speed, and he looked very natural as far as catching the ball as you move forward and really attacking the landmark. I thought just the number of balls he did catch, that did jump out to me.

It was for that reason, plus that the Packers didnt draft a cornerback last weekend, that Shields decided to sign with the Packers, one of two teams he visited before the draft. He said he had offers from Detroit, Kansas City, New Orleans, Oakland and Washington.

Shields wasnt invited to the combine but might have been drafted if not for a mid-March brush with the law in Sarasota, Fla. He was charged with possession of marijuana after police found a small amount in his truck. He said the incident occurred outside the home of the mother of one of his two children and the drug belonged to her.

They raided the house and she threw all that stuff in the back seat (of his truck), and they charged me with it, Shields said.

He said the charges have been removed from his record, but he feared the incident might cost him a shot at the NFL.

A lot of organizations didnt like that, Shields said. That little incident held me back. At the time it happened, I thought everything was over for me. All I had left was my pro day. I just had to get my confidence back and stay focused and do my thing at my pro day. Thats what I did.

"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Zero2Cool
13 years ago
Good article, thanks.

I really hope he pans out as a KR/PR for us.
UserPostedImage
British
13 years ago

He appears to have almost no ball skills whatsoever, even for a CB.

If he makes the team I suspect it will be as a return man only. Considering he sees himself as more of a gunner then he's got quite a job on his hands.

At least we'll be able to tell if he's doing a good job.

"British" wrote:

How would you know if he appears to have or not have ball skills? You make it sound like he is just completely awful because some scout said he had a little trouble in his coverage. Yet in his first season as a CB he still managed to stay the starter for 10 games on a decent team. He was named the teams most improved player btw.

I don't think winning a gunner spot would be all that hard Jarrett Bush has led the ST in penalties 2 years in a row and was 7th in ST tackles last year. It's not like he has to beat out some great player to win the job. Not saying he will but Bush is overrated (if you can believe that) on ST.

"Stevetarded" wrote:

Bush isn't his competition it's Derrick Martin, our best special teams player who we resigned in the offseason is the gunner he will have to replace. Martin also plays a position (S) where we are thinner than CB which is Shields spot.

As for his ball skills I got that from the fact he failed as a WR due to his poor catching ability and when he started 9 games at CB he made no interceptions and broke up 2 passes.

Then there is this quote from a scout who has probably watched him more than me and I suspect you too.

"He might be that (special) teams guy you make a spot for," the AFC scout said. "He can run all day with wideouts, but his problem is finishing at the ball.

"British" wrote:

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/92279204.html 

It seems he has clearly been brought in as a project return man. Martin and Bush (however much you dislike him) have proved to be above average gunners while we have a gaping hole at K/PR.

I hope he lights up training camp, I just don't expect him to do anything whatsoever on Defense.

Another reason why I don't think they expect him to do much on D is that he is 5 ft 11". Ted Thompson is on record as saying they almost never take any cornerbacks under 6 ft, and he said it again in his post draft presser last week.

But if we have discovered a game changing return man in the bargain basement of free agency I expect they'll find a spot for him.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
13 years ago
Ted Thompson said Wolf put a lot into height and that he does not put a lot into height and even cited Barry Sanders.
UserPostedImage
Rockmolder
13 years ago

He appears to have almost no ball skills whatsoever, even for a CB.

If he makes the team I suspect it will be as a return man only. Considering he sees himself as more of a gunner then he's got quite a job on his hands.

At least we'll be able to tell if he's doing a good job.

"British" wrote:

How would you know if he appears to have or not have ball skills? You make it sound like he is just completely awful because some scout said he had a little trouble in his coverage. Yet in his first season as a CB he still managed to stay the starter for 10 games on a decent team. He was named the teams most improved player btw.

I don't think winning a gunner spot would be all that hard Jarrett Bush has led the ST in penalties 2 years in a row and was 7th in ST tackles last year. It's not like he has to beat out some great player to win the job. Not saying he will but Bush is overrated (if you can believe that) on ST.

"British" wrote:

Bush isn't his competition it's Derrick Martin, our best special teams player who we resigned in the offseason is the gunner he will have to replace. Martin also plays a position (S) where we are thinner than CB which is Shields spot.

As for his ball skills I got that from the fact he failed as a WR due to his poor catching ability and when he started 9 games at CB he made no interceptions and broke up 2 passes.

Then there is this quote from a scout who has probably watched him more than me and I suspect you too.

"He might be that (special) teams guy you make a spot for," the AFC scout said. "He can run all day with wideouts, but his problem is finishing at the ball.

"Stevetarded" wrote:

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/92279204.html 

It seems he has clearly been brought in as a project return man. Martin and Bush (however much you dislike him) have proved to be above average gunners while we have a gaping hole at K/PR.

I hope he lights up training camp, I just don't expect him to do anything whatsoever on Defense.

"British" wrote:

Another reason why I don't think they expect him to do much on D is that he is 5 ft 11". Ted Thompson is on record as saying they almost never take any cornerbacks under 6 ft, and he said it again in his post draft presser last week.

But if we have discovered a game changing return man in the bargain basement of free agency I expect they'll find a spot for him.

He's made some exceptions, though. Tramon is 5'11. So is Josh Bell. But yeah, Ted seems to be after taller CBs most of the time. I just think that, if the player's good enough, he's not going to stand by his heigth restrictions. At least, not for guys who are 5'11.
Pack93z
13 years ago

"British" wrote:

Since when is 5'11" short for a CB?

Lets take a look shall we:

Champ Bailey 6 ft
Nate Clements 6ft
Al Harris 6 Ft
Tramon Williams 5'11"
Quinton Jammer 5' 11"
Ty Law 5'11"
Darrelle Revis 5' 11"
Dunta Robinson 5' 10"
Ed Reed 5'11" Safety
Charles Woodson 6'1"

You are making it sound like 5'11" is some midget...

BTW... depends on the site you grab his height from.. ESPN  has it listed at 6'1"
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
British
13 years ago

Ted Thompson said Wolf put a lot into height and that he does not put a lot into height and even cited Barry Sanders.

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

Right after that Ted Thompson said at certain positions, such as corner, they have pretty strict heigh restrictions on who they consider.

TT: We do have, at positions, we have what we'd like to have, the ideal measurements of those positions, but it doesn't work like that all the time. And certain positions, like corner, we hardly ever go below a certain height.

http://www.packers.com/news/releases/2010/04/24/1/ 

When looking at potential draftees for the Packers at cornerback, just remember bigger is better.

Since Ted Thompson became general manager for the Packers, he has selected four cornerbacks that have averaged a height of just over 6'1''.

Mike Hawkins (6'1"), Will Blackmon (6'0"), Pat Lee (6'0") and Branden Underwood (6'1") all had above average size at the position and this is sure to be a trend that will continue as long as Thompson is heading the draft.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/350491-packers-sure-to-take-a-look-at-deep-cb-class 
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
13 years ago

(Have you ever had a height limitation on a running back? Is 6-2 too tall because they'll be running too high?)
I have not. I have not done that, no. I guess 6-8 would be a little much, and 5-3 is probably a little too short. One time, Ron and I used to go back and forth because he was big on height and weights, you guys know that. We'd always be talking about we can't draft this guy, he's 5-7. And I'd always go over and get Barry Sanders' tag and bring it over to him. Yeah, yeah, give me somebody else. We do have, at positions, we have what we'd like to have, the ideal measurements of those positions, but it doesn't work like that all the time. And certain positions, like corner, we hardly ever go below a certain height.

Ted gives the impression he's more lenient on height than Wolf was, yet Wolf drafted Buckley. I don't think Ted used a high pick on a CB that height, hah.
UserPostedImage
zombieslayer
13 years ago

(Have you ever had a height limitation on a running back? Is 6-2 too tall because they'll be running too high?)
I have not. I have not done that, no. I guess 6-8 would be a little much, and 5-3 is probably a little too short. One time, Ron and I used to go back and forth because he was big on height and weights, you guys know that. We'd always be talking about we can't draft this guy, he's 5-7. And I'd always go over and get Barry Sanders' tag and bring it over to him. Yeah, yeah, give me somebody else. We do have, at positions, we have what we'd like to have, the ideal measurements of those positions, but it doesn't work like that all the time. And certain positions, like corner, we hardly ever go below a certain height.

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

Ted gives the impression he's more lenient on height than Wolf was, yet Wolf drafted Buckley. I don't think Ted used a high pick on a CB that height, hah.

Why go all the way back to Barry Sanders when talking RBs? Maurice Jones-Drew is currently an elite RB and according to wikipedia, he's 5'6.75". Almost 1400 yards last year, 16 total TDs + 52 receptions. I wouldn't mind having that guy.

If think of anything with a RB, too much height is a bad thing. They don't seem to last as long. When I saw our draft pick was 6'2", I got a little worried about his long term career.

Now for a CB, a 6' cut off makes a little bit more sense. I still have bad memories of TO and that WR on the Giants out jumping our CBs.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
Zero2Cool
13 years ago
Barry Sanders, HoF'er.
Jones-Drew, will not be in the Hall of Fame.

That's why.

I really do like Jones-Drew though, especially his leveling of Shawne Merriman!!
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
beast (9h) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (9h) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (9h) : fuck
beast (10h) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (10h) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (10h) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (10h) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (10h) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (10h) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (10h) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (10h) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (11h) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (12h) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (12h) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (12h) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (12h) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (12h) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
wpr (23-Apr) : Just about time to watch Sonny Weaver stick it to the seahags. I never get tired of it.
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : *game plan
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : IMHO, not even close. He is not a guy you game play around.
Mucky Tundra (23-Apr) : is Aiyuk worth a 1st rounder?
Zero2Cool (23-Apr) : 49ers are seeking a 1st round pick in exchange for WR Brandon Aiyuk
Mucky Tundra (22-Apr) : Based on Gutes comments, now I don't feel as silly having 13 picks in my mock the other day
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Zach Wilson to Broncos.
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Gutekunst says he'd love to have 13 or 14 picks. He's trading back huh lol
beast (22-Apr) : Someday we'll have a draft betting scandal
beast (21-Apr) : Sometimes looking extremely amazing, sometimes looking extremely lost
beast (21-Apr) : I haven't looked into the QBs, but some have suggested Maye has some of the most extremely inconsistent tape they've seen
beast (21-Apr) : Well it also sounds like Patriots are listening to trade offers, not that seriously considering any, but listening means they aren't locked
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Maye needs to be AFC
Mucky Tundra (21-Apr) : Not liking the idea of the Vikings getting Maye
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Vikings HC joked that he may or may not have sent flowers to Bob Kraft. That's where rumor came from.
beast (21-Apr) : Can't tell if this is real or BS, but some rumors about a possible Patriots/Vikings trade for #3 overall
dfosterf (21-Apr) : One playbook to my knowledge. I was shooting for facetious.
beast (20-Apr) : I'm not sure they have different playbooks for different OL positions, and Dillard run blocking is supposedly worse than his pass blocking..
dfosterf (19-Apr) : The only problem with that is he isn't a guard either.
dfosterf (19-Apr) : Put him at right guard. That is where he will be coached. That is where he will compete. He is not even allowed to look at the LT playbook.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Kidding aside, I hope the best for him.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Went to a Titans board. One comment there. Not very long. I quote: "LOL" They don't sound overly upset about our aquisition.
beast (18-Apr) : OT Dillard has been absolutely horrible... like OG Newman levels
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Suit him up and have him stand in front of the big board as a draft day cautionary tale.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Nonstopdrivel

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

20h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

25-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

24-Apr / Random Babble / beast

22-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

21-Apr / Fantasy Sports Talk / dfosterf

19-Apr / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.