Pack93z
  • Pack93z
  • Select Member Topic Starter
13 years ago
Is there something in the water... Bulaga picking up Clifton's false starts...

Bulaga's first day 

First-round draft pick Bryan Bulaga looked solid in the one-on-one pass rushing drills, but he had a couple of problems in the team period.

Twice, he got yanked after false-start penalties.

Im not really ready to make an assessment on any one player. He looked good in his uniform, Ill say that about him, Packers coach Mike McCarthy said. I think he is off to a good start.

As expected, Bulaga lined up at left tackle. Fellow rookie Marshall Newhouse, a fifth-round pick from TCU, played left guard.
Starks' return

Rookie running back James Starks looked a little winded late in Fridays practice. After a couple of plays, he was hunched over.

Thats understandable, considering its been a while since hes been on the football field. He missed all of last season, his senior year at the University of Buffalo, because of a torn labrum in his left shoulder.

The 6-2, 218-pounder is eager to prove he can stay healthy. He also sustained a broken hand in 2008.

I know I will be able to consistently do it, said the sixth-round pick. All of my injuries came my junior year. My freshman year that I was playing, I didnt sustain any injuries.
Roster check

A total of 57 players took part in the rookie camp, and only first-year defensive end Ronald Talley couldnt participate because of an injury.

Talley, a practice squad player last season, had knee surgery during the offseason and went through rehab while the rest of the players were on the practice field.

In addition to the seven draft picks, 10 holdovers from last year and 11 rookie free agents signed shortly after last weekends draft, there were 29 players invited for tryouts.
Odds and ends

Running back Ahman Green was taken off the Packers roster this week. The teams all-time leading rusher, who was re-signed midway through last season, was still listed on the roster before the draft even though he was not under contract.

Khalil Jones, who was signed to the practice squad as a receiver last December, has been moved to safety. The 6-1, 212-pounder from Miami hasnt played on defense since early in his high school career.

Its been a smooth transition, Jones said. I probably would have been a natural safety, but my high school coaches switched me because I was fast.

The camp continues with practices Saturday and Sunday, but both are closed to the media. The rookies are scheduled to return May 16 for the beginning of organized team activities.

"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Pack93z
  • Pack93z
  • Select Member Topic Starter
13 years ago
By words.. sounds like this kid has matured.. excited to see what he can bring to the table.

Rookie TE Quarless thanks God in writing  

Green Bay When Andrew Quarless had the word "God's" tattooed on his right arm and "Gift" on his left, he should have anticipated the reaction.

Several personnel men for National Football League teams brought up the tattoos this spring in describing a tight end they saw as talented but conceited.

Quarless, the Green Bay Packers' fifth-round draft choice, heard much the same thing around the Penn State campus.

"The way it was being portrayed, it bothered me a lot," Quarless said Friday. "I wanted to stop it so I wouldn't have to explain it."

So after last season Quarless went back to the tattoo parlor and asked the artist to add the letter "s" so the tattoo on his left arm would read "Gifts."

"I grew up in a Christian household," said Quarless, a native of Uniondale, N.Y. "I was always taught to give God thanks for things he's blessed me with. The way I approached it, God's gifts were my blessings.

"The way I was being portrayed, I wasn't even thinking anything like that. That was the last thing."

Quarless, one of the most athletic tight ends in the draft, slipped to the fifth round mainly because his record off the field was so spotty. He was cited for underage drinking in 2007, arrested on a drunken driving charge in 2008 and involved in a drug bust at his apartment later that year.

Although Quarless was merely the 11th tight end selected, he wouldn't acknowledge that the only player taken in the first round, Oklahoma's Jermaine Gresham, was better than him.

"I don't think so," said Quarless. "A lot of guys are pass-catching tight ends that don't block anything. At Penn State, I was always taught to block first and catch second. I think I'm able to catch just like the best of them. I think I was the most versatile tight end.

"I'm going to work hard. We'll see at the end of the day which tight ends excel."

Quarless said that after the DUI he didn't use alcohol for two years until he had a toast with his family shortly before the draft.

Asked if he was an alcoholic, Quarless said, "Well, I actually had to go to an AA meeting, so I guess so. And when I first sat down with the counselors I told them, 'I haven't had a drink in over a year. I don't think I have a problem.'

"And she said, 'Just the fact it happened.' If I was 21, both of those situations might have been different because of where my (alcohol) levels were. I was never lying over in the middle of the street."

Quarless turned 21 in October.

Winning the starting job as a true freshman in 2006 led to what Quarless called "big-headedness" and a "little bit of a reckless lifestyle." Later, he would enter a 15-month rehabilitation program in which he attended classes on alcohol abuse and met with counselors weekly for about two months.

"This is similar to State College (Pa.) as far as atmosphere," said Quarless. "I know they do a lot of drinking out here, too. That's the good thing about not drinking . . . body feeling good and coming to practice and not having to worry about hangovers and things like that."

At midweek, a personnel director for another team offered this assessment of Quarless' up-and-down career.

"He's kind of a play-to-play guy," the executive said. "One play you see it, the next play it's almost embarrassing with his lack of effort. There's no sense of urgency in him. His hands can be hit-and-miss, too. That's not a skill issue. It's a focus issue."

Staff additions: Mike McCarthy completed his coaching staff this spring by adding two members to the strength and conditioning department under Mark Lovat and Dave Redding.

Thadeus Jackson replaced Mondray Gee as the No. 3 man. Gee took a job with the Seattle Seahawks after last season.

Jackson had been strength coach at Hinds (Miss.) Community College.

The other addition is Darren Krein, 38, who was the Seahawks' assistant strength coach for 11 years. In Seattle, he worked under Kent Johnston, the Packers' strength coach from 1992-'98.

Krein spent two months as a defensive end with the Packers in 1995 before being waived.

"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Rockmolder
13 years ago
Packers minicamp one-liners 

by Josh Alper

First-round pick T Bryan Bulaga got yanked from team drills after a pair of false start penalties.

Sam Shields, an undrafted rookie from Miami, was a hit at the first day of Packers minicamp thanks to his skills returning kickoffs.

Rookie DE Mike Neal doesn't put much stock into the school weightlifting records he set while at Purdue.

Tim Masthay and Australian Chris Bryan are vying for the chance to replace Jeremy Kapinos as the Packers punter.

TE Andrew Quarless told reporters that his plethora of tattoos are signs of his faith and not a representation of an outsize ego.

Three undrafted free agents -- Tim Knicky of Stephen F. Austin, Frank Zombo of Central Michigan and John Russell of Wake Forest -- have a chance to help the Packers at outside linebacker.

Chris Pizzotti and Noah Shepard, an undrafted rookie out of South Dakota, are the quarterbacks for this weekend's practices.

Check the site, it links to a lot of articles where the one-liners where pulled from. Some have already been posted in this thread, but it's pretty interesting stuff.
Packers_Finland
13 years ago
I hope Bulaga doesn't become Clifton 2.0 in terms of false stars. I mean come on, can't we have one tackle that doesn't get a million penalties in a season.
This is a placeholder
go.pack.go.
13 years ago

I hope Bulaga doesn't become Clifton 2.0 in terms of false stars. I mean come on, can't we have one tackle that doesn't get a million penalties in a season.

"Packers_Finland" wrote:

It's only one practice, his first practice at that. Calm down, haha.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
13 years ago

"go.pack.go." wrote:

It's only one practice, his first practice at that. Calm down, haha.

"Packers_Finland" wrote:

no kidding lol

If we see this in the third pre-season game ... then I'll worry. Til then, I'll row my boat.
UserPostedImage
PackerTraxx
13 years ago

Just an interesting tid-bit on the numbers of our drafted rookies.

B. Bulaga - 75 (Don't like this #, simply because of Tony Moll)

M. Neal - 96 (Montgomery's old #)

M. Burnett - 42 (Sharper's old #)

M. Newhouse - 74 (Kampman's old # - Very surprising to me)

A. Quarless - 81 (Desmond Howard's old #)

J. Starks - 44

CJ Wilson - 98

I always like seeing what our rookies numbers will be. I guess I'm weird like that haha.

http://www.packers.com/multimedia/photo_galleries/2010_non-game/2010-04-30/ 

"go.pack.go." wrote:

#75 Think Forest Gregg. It works better!
Why is Jerry Kramer not in the Hall of Fame?
Zero2Cool
13 years ago
Seriously? Ken, anyone remember Ken? I'm one of the younger ones here and I remember Ken. You all should be ashamed!!
UserPostedImage
PackerTraxx
13 years ago
I remeber Ken. Forest was better. LOL OK think Forest and Ken!!!

Remember Gilly ... the guard? One of the best but never got the accolades because he played on not so good teams. Converted from ... ta da ... fullback!
Why is Jerry Kramer not in the Hall of Fame?
Rockmolder
13 years ago

Just an interesting tid-bit on the numbers of our drafted rookies.

B. Bulaga - 75 (Don't like this #, simply because of Tony Moll)

M. Neal - 96 (Montgomery's old #)

M. Burnett - 42 (Sharper's old #)

M. Newhouse - 74 (Kampman's old # - Very surprising to me)

A. Quarless - 81 (Desmond Howard's old #)

J. Starks - 44

CJ Wilson - 98

I always like seeing what our rookies numbers will be. I guess I'm weird like that haha.

http://www.packers.com/multimedia/photo_galleries/2010_non-game/2010-04-30/ 

"PackerTraxx" wrote:

#75 Think Forest Gregg. It works better!

"go.pack.go." wrote:

No mentioning of "Dookie" Davenport's number?

Numbers in the 40s are horrible for HBs, if you ask me, but hey, what he wants.
Fan Shout
Mucky Tundra (12h) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
Mucky Tundra (12h) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
Mucky Tundra (12h) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#×k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
Martha Careful (6-Apr) : Go Boilermakers!!!
Martha Careful (5-Apr) : Diggs has not stepped up in the playoffs and has a high cost
beast (5-Apr) : Probably not going to let Diggs walk away unless he's horrible... but according to reports he also might not be as good as he used to be.
beast (5-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft has been an offensive player since 2017, 2 TE, 2 WR, 1 RB, 1 OC
Mucky Tundra (5-Apr) : Odd, why give up a 2025 2nd Rounder for him if you're just gonna let him walk?
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : Texans to let Diggs be free agent in '25
buckeyepackfan (4-Apr) : 49r's aign RB Patrick Taylor.
Martha Careful (4-Apr) : Reversion to the mean would indicate we will keep it
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : It's also been utilized in a trade in 14 of the past 20 years
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft hasn't been made by it's original holder since 2016.
Mucky Tundra (4-Apr) : Gotta imagine that Green Bay vs Houston will be a primetime game this upcoming season
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : No. Kill QB. No worries. 😁
Mucky Tundra (3-Apr) : Diggs, Collins, Dell and Schultz is gonna be tough to cover
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Stefon Diggs' trade will not be processed as a post-June 1 designation, so that is just over $31 million in dead cap this year.
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Bills trading WR Stefon Diggs to the Texans in exchange for a 2025 2nd-round pick. (via @rapsheet)
beast (3-Apr) : Using Patterson as RB and RB/WR tweener... so I think they also signed Patterson as a 3rd down RB, not just a kick returner as articles are
beast (3-Apr) : I think PFT missed the real Steelers/Patterson connection, Steelers new OC Arthur Smith has been Patterson's head coach the last 3 years
wpr (2-Apr) : It has Martha. I was stunned when I was in HS to learn Iowa was still playing half court BB in the 70's.
Martha Careful (2-Apr) : Caitlin Clark, Angel Reese...women's sports has come a long way. GREAT TO SEE!!
Martha Careful (31-Mar) : Happy Easter everyone. I hope you all have a great day.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
2m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

10h / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

19h / Random Babble / Martha Careful

22h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

22h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16-Apr / Random Babble / Martha Careful

15-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12-Apr / Random Babble / Nonstopdrivel

12-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.